Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sweetness and Lightning
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 14, 2016 11:59 PM
Jun 2013
So cute! Kotori gets a little bit more depth which is nice. Regardless of anything, I'm glad the three are going to continue cooking together! I hope we get to see Kotori's parents and maybe touch a little bit more on Kouhei's wife
Jul 15, 2016 2:55 AM

Jul 2009
I am glad they went to the restaurant again! This whole thing is so sweet!
Jul 16, 2016 2:44 AM
Jan 2015
Perhaps this show is best watched whenever I want to eat or something. It has the heart. I am liking it. So that explains Kotori's not-so-good cooking skills. She is scared of knives. I see.

PS: I have a blog and I am currently writing for these shows this season. If you have the time, kindly pay a visit. Thanks!
Jul 16, 2016 5:19 AM

Dec 2012
She is so cute when she says: "Otoosan" (*.*).
Another adorable episode, this anime is so good.
Jul 16, 2016 6:03 AM

Aug 2015
That Tsumugi pose was dank as fck XD
Good for Dad to learn how to cook slowly but surely and for Kotori to speak out about her being scared on knives.
Also gotta love Kotori's mom putting the effort on creating picture recipes even though she's always busy just goes to show her love for her daughter at least.
Jul 16, 2016 7:12 AM

Nov 2012
Finally a proper meal they cook together, very nice.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Jul 17, 2016 7:15 AM

Dec 2009
Eh, it's almost like everything gets pushed to the background just so we can have scene after scene, shot after shot of the girl "Being so god damn adoorable".
Not impressed, and no idea why this is getting so much hype.

Not that I hate this, but I'm not interested in just watching a "cute" girl being so called adorable. At least Barakamon had more characters and was absolutely hilarious.

Kotori's story seems interesting though, at least some drama could come out from this.

And pleeeeeeeeeeease do not go the route of the teacher getting together with Kotori and have the child be a matchmaker or other crap like that... no no NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Let the hate flow on me, but this is like my opinion, man.

3/5

rasenshiruken973 said:
Hm dropped halfway through the episode. I loved Barakamon and Usagi Drop but this show just feels like it's trying too hard to be cute and heartwarming. It comes off as forced and boring imo.

Nice to see someone who agrees.
Sir_LexaJul 17, 2016 7:23 AM
Jul 17, 2016 9:39 AM

Feb 2016
it felt cheesy , i mean i love cute things as the next guy , but goddamn that was boring i mean isnt there anything else ? Also tsugmi character design seems off comparing with the other kids and her father and kotori ( she is more like, how to say it , her design belong to other kind of anime )

Anyway we'll see if the drama about kotori's mother will help
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 17, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2015
Easy to watch series. Good episode. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 17, 2016 10:41 PM

Jun 2015
Aah Tsumugi is just too cute for the series. It's so cute and family like, it's such a nice pace from the serious and destructive anime.
Jul 18, 2016 12:13 AM

Jan 2011
That face when she posed in the apron though.
Jul 18, 2016 4:44 AM

Mar 2014
The second episode has managed to be just impressive as the first. This is easily becoming my favourite anime this season alongside shokugeki no soma S2. Looks like food is the main theme for me this summer.
Jul 18, 2016 9:40 AM

Nov 2015
It wasn't as good as the first episode but still a very good one.
I like the relationship between Tsumugi and her father.
I am really looking forward for the next episode!

4/5
Jul 19, 2016 7:16 AM
Dec 2009
Episode 2 and this show remains adorable! Definitely a must watch for slice of life fans. Already recommending it to all my friends who liked Barakamon.

I didn't expect Kotori to be afraid of knives. That seemed a little ridiculous for a high school kid but she's still cute I guess, haha.
Jul 19, 2016 2:41 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
CUTE ANIME IS CUTE

Jul 20, 2016 6:33 PM

Oct 2008
Such a peaceful/relaxing/healing show!
8.10 !?! that's very high which is also nice!
Tsumugi and Kotori is getting familiar with each other.
But it would be a problem if Kotori slowly falls in love with Kouhei otosan!
Does Kotori have trauma with Knives!?
5/5.

Jul 21, 2016 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I liked this episode more than the first one, but it might just be my lowered expectations from seeing other series that are airing right now. I also find the daughter to be a little less gremliny, after discovering she has an actual child actress as her VA. Still not that big a fan of the art style, or the over sentimentality. But there's something pretty charming about watching the Teacher and his student prepare pretty and well animated food for a hungry little kid. I've seen plenty of anime built on worse gimmicks.

My big question then for this series, is what it plans to do with the Student/Teacher relationship. So far given the complete lack of ecchi, and how professional their relationship has been I don't see it turning romantic. Which is ultimately I think a good thing, it'd be a little creepy the most we should see is Kotori pining after our protag. Anything else would be inappropriate and betray the shows main selling point, it's sweetness. I liked that this episode very quickly dove into the question of how appropriate is this relationship. And I think it deftly pulled off making us table that question for now.

For once I'd be happy if this series turned out to be super formulaic. There's so much I'm lukewarm at best on with this series I want to see a lot more of what I do like about it. A cute anime teenager struggling to make dope food with a bumbling everyman single dad. If it can successfully deliver on that week to week it'll walk away as one of the best of the season. You know mostly by comparison not sheer quality.
Jul 23, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2011
More cuteness, sweetness and a bit of loli lewdness.

Its hard to wait for episodes every week, so I might pile up the episodes.
Jul 23, 2016 9:18 AM
Jan 2014
Good slice of life so far. I like the opening song, so catchy.
Kotori's VA sounds a bit off though, like she sounds too stiff and unnatural. Tumugi's VA sounded annoying in ep 1 but it got better.
Jul 31, 2016 10:04 AM

Sep 2015
This has been better than I expected still not amazing. Tumugi REALLY needs a hair cut its bugging me at this point. Liked how the teacher was cautious of going to the restaurant even still its inappropriate for a teacher.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Aug 1, 2016 3:37 PM

Oct 2012
Another heartwarming episode, I really like this series.

Wonder if her mom ever appears... cause, father without wife and divorced woman - well, you know..

Anyway, their confusion was really intense :D

Mich666Aug 1, 2016 3:42 PM
Aug 2, 2016 1:21 AM

Nov 2015
Tsumugi is so cute! And Kotori also, all the food looked delicious though.

Aug 13, 2016 4:53 AM

Apr 2015
Every time they look at each other they blush, it's soo cute HNGG.
Aug 13, 2016 7:36 AM

Oct 2010
Who else is shipping the Kohei x Kotori ending
Aug 30, 2016 10:43 AM
Apr 2013
So far i like it!

Tsumugi is adorable eventhough i don't really like her voice :/
Her father is kind and care for her so much. I can feel his happiness when he's in tears because of Tsumugi. He's a lovely dad.

Kotori is pretty likeable eventhough she's weird. Maybe she would fall in love with her sensei. But I hope they won't end up together.

Actually, i don't get it why people ship them? I mean Kotori is a underage girl and Kohei just lost his wife. Also, they are student and teacher. So, can't quite understand why people ship them.
zurichtimeAug 30, 2016 10:49 AM
Sep 7, 2016 3:17 AM

Nov 2011
I would say that this episode is convincing as the previous one, he has not wanted to overdo it as in the previous episode, with situations too weepy, that's convinced me, but there was a preponderance in the part about the kitchen narration, to the detriment the characterization of the characters, and I hope that in the future these two aspects of the story are in equilibrium, given that the direction that took the plot is almost certain. Convincing Kotori and motivations that led it to host the professor and his daughter at the family restaurant. I'm curious to see the next episode. Good quality of the drawings and animations, the two animation studios, involved in the project, are working well. The catchy opening and ending.

Barion-Zara said:
Tsumugi's too lewd

This was the most pleasant situation of the whole episode, it was fun to see Tsumugi who was trying to smile so winking. :)
Sep 22, 2016 12:58 PM

May 2012
This is the best! Just hearthwarming as hell :3
Sep 23, 2016 11:12 AM

Apr 2016
Super kawaii stuff, I just can't stop smiling. All three of them are really lovable! Now I am hungry... ;)
Nov 2, 2016 6:01 PM
Jun 2016
Tsumugi is one of the cutest, most likable anime kids I've seen in a long time. I'm not usually fond of child characters, but every time she makes a cute face I just melt. While the food isn't Food Wars levels of detailed and appealing, it's still very nice. As a college student, it even makes me a bit homesick.
Nov 15, 2016 6:05 AM

Mar 2015
What a let down :(
I loved episode 1 but this episode is so plain, normal and simple. Nothing turns on my switch.

3.1/5
Jan 1, 2017 9:57 PM

Mar 2015
Tsumugi too kawaii!! Kotori too!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 26, 2017 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
antonn said:
Barion-Zara said:
Tsumugi's too lewd

Series needs ecchi tag.

I loved that "wink".
She is too kawaii!
Sep 9, 2017 10:40 PM

Jun 2016
Gaaah. I wanna eat that pork soup and ugh that rice looks so yummy tbh. ;-; Seeing Tsumugi's father being happy because he sees her being happy really warms my heart. :3 I love Iida-chan, alright. Haha.

What a heartwarming and drooling episode!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 2, 2017 1:55 AM

Sep 2012
NotFuuko said:

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! :)
Feb 3, 2019 1:35 PM

Nov 2016
Tsumugi trying the wink was too adorable, lmao.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2020 2:21 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's so heartwarming, Tsumugi is too cute
Jun 26, 2020 10:19 AM

Dec 2012
yep i know that satisfied feeling when my cooking is yummy..
cooking is my hobby lately,, even tho the process took a long time but the result made it worth the time
Oct 9, 2020 6:22 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Sighs.
I just can't get into this very well.
I have to watch it for class but ugggh, it's just so boring and I just can't connect with anyone.
Like okay, bonding through food is a great concept to explore, but it's just... not working for me in the way they're going about it.
And the way they try to make Tsumugi super cute is still really annoying to me.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 24, 2021 8:54 PM
Dec 2019
I wonder if the guy that hated it left a comment... I'm curious
Jul 4, 2021 7:12 AM

Jul 2021
This episode is very adorable. I fell in love with Tsumugi in this episode. Not in the creepy kind of way, of course.

I think I will like this anime.
Nov 6, 2022 1:49 PM
Sep 2020
Such a cute ep ₍ᵔ.˛.ᵔ₎!

I don't know why I didn't realize that was her teacher. It is kinda weird, but as long as it stays the way it is, it should be fine. Hopefully no one catches them to together and assumes the worse D:

ᨐᵉᵒʷ
Nov 6, 2022 1:51 PM
Sep 2020
Swiggy said:
Sighs.
I have to watch it for class but ugggh, it's just so boring and I just can't connect with anyone.
Like okay, bonding through food is a great concept to explore, but it's just... not working for me in the way they're going about it.
And the way they try to make Tsumugi super cute is still really annoying to me.;;

What class is this for???
Nov 6, 2022 1:53 PM
Sep 2020
Sugram22 said:
NotFuuko said:

Uh, you know that's her teacher right? And she's a minor..
Nov 6, 2022 11:35 PM

Sep 2012
OnigirisBasket said:
Sugram22 said:

Uh, you know that's her teacher right? And she's a minor..

15y and 16y old with adult is normal if they love each other, marriage like this has happened in my country, if parents allow its possible

and also i see a woman not a kid, she is a woman (and she has shown that she is), Teen is young adult not a child

i see them as cute couple, also she wants to be hes kids mommy it shows her maturity

there are 15 and 16 old married with 20+ to so thats nothing strange or sick, though with some1 who is 12 its a bit of a stretch, but cause its fiction even that doesn't bother me

and second i support love and sometimes love also happens between teen and some1 in hes or hers 20s or 30s (but this series is stretching this a bit :D, but they are keeping it innocent, it hasn't been sexual so far), so its not pedo 100% of the times, but hard to make the difference when u don't know the person, so u assume the person is pedo paste on what u hear on social media or on TV so i don't judge, when it comes to law its their problem but i don't mind as long its not actual pedo

its not common but in my country but 16y girl (daughter of bicycle trainer ex bicycle racer) got married to a guy 20-25 cant remember hes exact age, if parents allow 16y old can marry any1

some life long married couples have started that way and even in countries where below 18 is illegal cause the law says sex is illegal with below 18 not dating, ofc if parents don't trust u they can get restraining order if u don't listen to them when they tell u to never see her again at least until she is 18, sometimes love just happens between above and below 18 its life fact

sometimes love can happen between teen and older, some cases the older doesn't know the age of the younger1 and u can't ask cause if u do its way to ruin ur chance to find a partner and when u do find out later u can't back down or ur chicken (cause feeling don't go away just like that, and i say we humans need to follow our feelings when it comes to romance), do what ever just try to stay in the bounds of the law cause when ur in jail that doesn't help any1

also she wants to be the girls mommy, she is so good with her like real mom, the family chemistry is there

but who cares she is not 18+ its fiction, in fiction its even less a issue then in IRL

i find teacher x student romance stories hot just like teen boy with older woman, when i was teen i watched series that had that element in it but not with main char and liked stories like this ever sins, it was not anime, i didn't know anime then 

also why make it in a issue when she is 17, 17 or 18 no difference really, only difference is by law but 1 year doesn't give nothing

also dating doesn't automatically mean sex, law doesn't say anything about dating, its just forbids sex between certain age groups

but there are no ships sailing in this series

EDIT:
@OnigirisBasket
i recommend watch Okusama wa Joshikousei, good rom-com

and also
Kokoro Connect
this1 is about group of friends rom-com but has drama and supernatural element

Sugram22Dec 12, 2023 6:34 AM
Nov 8, 2022 1:41 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
OnigirisBasket said:
Swiggy said:
Sighs.

Hello! I was a Japanese major in university, so some of our classes focused on analyzing Japanese culture, norms, an such through the very subtle things we find in Japanese media. For example, in Amaama to Inazuma here, we get the idea right off the bat that a father doing domestic work like cooking tends not to be the norm, but then we analyze what this idea helps us see what's often valued within Japanese culture as a whole. And so on. But then we'd have to dive deeper than that. So I had quite a few classes focused on analyzing and/or translating Japanese media-- some which overlapped (classic/modern film, classic literature, modern literature, anime, etc). I THINK I was talking about the anime class in my post!

Nov 8, 2022 10:11 PM
Sep 2020
Swiggy said:
OnigirisBasket said:

Hello! I was a Japanese major in university, so some of our classes focused on analyzing Japanese culture, norms, an such through the very subtle things we find in Japanese media. For example, in Amaama to Inazuma here, we get the idea right off the bat that a father doing domestic work like cooking tends not to be the norm, but then we analyze what this idea helps us see what's often valued within Japanese culture as a whole. And so on. But then we'd have to dive deeper than that. So I had quite a few classes focused on analyzing and/or translating Japanese media-- some which overlapped (classic/modern film, classic literature, modern literature, anime, etc). I THINK I was talking about the anime class in my post!

Oh wow, that's so cool! I don't know why it did not occur to me that there was a Japanese major ahah ^^;. You said was, does that mean you are no longer that major? If you don't mind me asking :)
Nov 8, 2022 10:56 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
OnigirisBasket said:
Swiggy said:

Oh wow, that's so cool! I don't know why it did not occur to me that there was a Japanese major ahah ^^;. You said was, does that mean you are no longer that major? If you don't mind me asking :)
Thank you! It was cool and all, but uh... there's not much you can do with a Bachelors degree in Japanese, ha hah.;; I don't mind at all, but yep! I should have just said "I majored in Japanese" to be more clear, but I graduated and received my degree in Japanese already. Actually, I think the class I had to watch this anime for was the last class I needed!

Nov 13, 2022 12:22 AM
Sep 2020
Swiggy said:
OnigirisBasket said:

Thank you! It was cool and all, but uh... there's not much you can do with a Bachelors degree in Japanese, ha hah.;; I don't mind at all, but yep! I should have just said "I majored in Japanese" to be more clear, but I graduated and received my degree in Japanese already. Actually, I think the class I had to watch this anime for was the last class I needed!

Sorry for the late reply, I'm actually in uni atm so I've been trying to keep up with all the work ^^:

Ohh wow that's awesome!! I thought you meant that you ended up changing your major, it is really cool that you're a Japanese major xD. Did you go to Japan to study or was the program in the U.S.?
Nov 19, 2022 7:54 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
OnigirisBasket said:
Swiggy said:

Sorry for the late reply, I'm actually in uni atm so I've been trying to keep up with all the work ^^:

Ohh wow that's awesome!! I thought you meant that you ended up changing your major, it is really cool that you're a Japanese major xD. Did you go to Japan to study or was the program in the U.S.?
No worries! I've been away for a while anyway! I had my independent study abroad trip paid for and everything, but then COVID hit and I was unable to go/had to cancel.;; The plan, for the sake of the completionist in me, is to go in late March. Hopefully it works out!

Nov 21, 2022 6:10 PM
Sep 2020
Swiggy said:
OnigirisBasket said:

No worries! I've been away for a while anyway! I had my independent study abroad trip paid for and everything, but then COVID hit and I was unable to go/had to cancel.;; The plan, for the sake of the completionist in me, is to go in late March. Hopefully it works out!

Ohh that sound fun!! I hope you enjoy the trip ! ⸜(。˃ ᵕ ˂ )⸝ ✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

312 by Yukiiilove123 »»
Sep 15, 7:51 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

152 by BigBoyAdvance »»
May 28, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

92 by FedeMetal »»
May 9, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2016

96 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 29, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.