Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Jun 29, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2014
Whoa mc meets girl in an empty classrom where have i seen that?
Jul 25, 2014 7:50 AM

Oct 2009
I like almost everything about this show. A grp of students in a club together may sound cliched but I really appreciate this kind of stories. Animation is beautiful and flawless.

The protagonist is likeable so far; I was biased towards Hyoutaro at first cos he reminds me of Gilbert from Pandora Hearts and his type of personality is a rare find for a protagonist. But I like his friend Satoshi more.

The one thing that bothered me a little is how Chitanda says she's curious abt a mystery but she doesn't put in the necessary effort in the investigation. Hyoutaro does all the thinking and she just gapes in amazement and doesn't deduct with the information given. She just seems like an airhead to me...can't believe she didn't even hear the sound of the lock of the door. Hopefully she does the real investigation soon.
Jul 28, 2014 9:40 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this anime yet. I started watching because of Houtarou, and he definitely keeps the show interesting. I've never watched a SOL before, so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm praying the rest of the anime isn't solving cases in the caliber of "who locked me inside a classroom".
Nov 25, 2014 1:26 PM

Jul 2014
Just started this after putting it off for quite some time. Not really sure why I did, maybe because the "mystery" genre has thrown me off in the past. I love KyoAni's work with the art. Reminds me of a lot of PA Works animation, particularly Nagi no Asukara. Similar but still different. That alone gives me huge motivation to watch this anime, the art is really pleasing to the eyes.

As far as the mystery thing, I'm still iffy. I like the curiosity that Chitanda has, I'm a bit worried about Hyoutaro's personality, I guess its too early for me to judge though.

I think in the end I'm going to enjoy this anime! Lets see how it goes
Dec 26, 2014 4:43 PM

Nov 2013
Looks absolutely stunning! Characters seem likeable too c:
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 1, 2015 7:25 AM

Feb 2014
I was captivated from start to finish
May 17, 2015 1:46 AM

Jul 2008
Pretty looking show to be sure, but I was expecting a bit more mystery to it. Oh well it is early going.
Jun 7, 2015 8:13 AM
Jun 2015
Wow the animation 10/10 but the mystery on this ep not really "mystery" but the other ep the mystery blow my mind
Aug 22, 2015 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
I remember watching part of this episode a few years back and thinking it was dry and boring beyond compare. Although not the strongest first impression, I did find it more intriguing this time around. It reminds me of Guilty Crown, more beautiful than words can describe yet missing something fundamentally. Hopefully that's no more than a first impression. I do like how they've set up the framework for Houtarou's character and his energy conserving ways.
Oct 23, 2015 9:28 PM
May 2015
Love in first sight. Chitanda is so sweet......kawaii!
Nov 2, 2015 1:26 AM

Apr 2014
That was really well done! I like all the characters, and the plot drew me in.

It didn't need the fan-serivce for the ending song, though.
Dec 2, 2015 7:40 PM

Sep 2014
I am super Curious! EP 1.

Plot: Houtarou Oreki is a kinda lazy guy who's been pushed into keeping a club his sister likes alive. Unfortunately, or maybe not, he's not the only one interested in the Classics Club. Chitanda Eru is a Curious girl who manages to just entrap the guy and get him to go along with her. And now Houtarou must balance his lifestyle of Energy Conservation and Chitanda's Enthusiasm. Oh and his Database friend, Satoshi is around for the fun.

On today's jaunt they learned that Janitor's must be watched and that students really should choose better sleeping places. Also Houtarou has created the best Spiderman's unofficial fan club name ever.

Character: Houtarou's pretty fun. He's got that lazy attitude that I can agree with. If its too much of a hassle, I won't do it or I'll do it quickly as possible. I can get that. The fact that he was smart enough to make a new mystery and distract Chitanda proves he's resourceful. THough wouldn't that make a good little sideplot: For every mystery he doesn't want to solve, he makes a new one to distract Chitanda.

I shall christen him: Lazy but Brilliant Shaggy.

Chitanda is a big ball of adorable and the driving force of the show. Her curiosity is a thing to behold, even if she may have some boundary issues.

I'm gonna say: Moe Curious Velma.

Satoshi is a fun little guy. His database is interesting in itself so I guess he's the info dealer/rumour watcher.

Database Jokester Fred.

ANimation/sound: The OP Yasashisa no Riyuu is without a doubt one of the best OP's I've listened to in a long time. The segment where Oreki walks in the rain and the face profiles of the other cast in blurry vision was a delight. It was a fun blood pumper.

Mikansei Stride was a nice little tune that I can fall asleep too. The fanservice was...unexpected but welcome.

And Chitanda's "I'm Curious" and Houtarou's imagine spot of growing flowers entrapping him was the best metaphor/animated representation I've ever laid my eyes on.

4/5. I like this opener and happily apply it to my 25 days of Christmas Anime watching.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Dec 23, 2015 3:38 PM

Nov 2012
In the mood for a light series.

Expect the "mysteries" in this are going to be very simple to figure out but I atleast hope they'll be enjoyable to watch.

"Watashi Kininarimasu!"
Dec 28, 2015 3:35 AM

Jun 2009
really nice art

this could be good
Jan 8, 2016 9:43 PM

Dec 2014
that art. so good.
the plot. so zzzzz.

I can't; sorry to those that liked it.
I need sleep.
Mar 10, 2016 5:42 PM
Jul 2014
Cute animation! I hope the story will follow the same quality...
Mar 22, 2016 3:58 PM
Feb 2015
Maaaan, Chitanda is so cute I could die just looking at her <3
May 11, 2016 3:40 AM

Jan 2016
After 5min to OP ( that was rather good actually ^^) i feel like I get a slightly bit of a personality from the mainguy in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru in the begining.. but oh well.. I sure have heard all AMAZING!! stuff about it so i finally was able to make time (and got it downloaded ) to watch it :P OMG whats with those eyes!!was about to chock myself while eating hahaha XD

Animation is really.. Fantastic.Its amazing, Beautiful, so colorful and so light. That sure hooked me!!
"And with them, i bid farewell to my peaceful, energy-conserving life." ahaha im dead!! im freaking dead xD

Ending song had a nice calm tune kinda liked it. ^^
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 11, 2016 4:39 AM

Mar 2014
I'm up for the whole mystery-solving cases ~ .. It should be thrilling ~ .
The time of Energy-saving is over and now to spend that energy wisely .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2016 7:11 PM

May 2010
Animation is gorgeous and so is the music, sasuga KyoAni.
Also, Sunohara, what are you doing here? You've clearly mistook universes, and found Kyon instead of Tomoya >D Houtarou seems interesting, Chitanda isn't that bad as well.

But besides that it was pretty boring. And first episodes are rarely dull for me, even though I watch quite a lot of SoL series. I have some bad feelings about this series... Hopefully it gets better.
May 26, 2016 12:02 AM

Sep 2013
just rewatched this after a long time, in 1080p. AND WOW, THE ART IS SOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL <3
May 27, 2016 12:35 PM

Apr 2016
I can only say, what the heck? I don't really know what the anime or characters are about, to be honest.

I liked some lines, though. "The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off".
Jul 23, 2016 7:55 AM

Jul 2008
Well, I have a feeling this anime and I aren't going to click which is quite a bummer because I heard a lot of good things. This episode really did nothing for me, aside for the stunning animation and Oreki's voice.

First of all, I didn't think Eru was that cute. Yes, I wanted to get that out of the way before I continue so everyone can scream at me all they like. And the way she became all magic-y and grabbed on to him (I know it's all in his head but it was just such a WTF moment) really weirded me out.

The mysteries were really average to not interesting at all. Like, three minutes and they were solved without any difficulty, not to mention that the 'mysteries' themselves were just so meh.

All in all, it really didn't get me excited for the next episode, and I wanted to love this anime!
---"'As long as you're alive - you've got 100% chance of dying"---

---there are two infinite things, the universe and the human stupidity. about the first one I'm
not sure...---

---Math should go drown itself in the toilet---
Jul 27, 2016 5:13 PM
Jan 2012
liked opening, liked protagonist and chitanda. Good animation .the rest not big surprise.
Aug 31, 2016 10:47 AM

Feb 2015
Ehh, can't say I really like it based on the first episode.
Protagonist seems unlikeable.
Best friend is kind of annoying because he won't shut up.
The girl is just... no.

Well, I'll give it a few more episodes, if it doesn't get better than this, I'll probably drop it.
Oct 5, 2016 8:56 PM

Sep 2016
i was about to drop it but the ending was wow..
Nov 7, 2016 6:47 AM

Sep 2015
Decided to try it out and looking it just from the first episode :3
Dec 11, 2016 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
The characters seem to have an interesting personality and the music is so good.
Interesting premise.
Dec 23, 2016 11:35 AM

Jun 2014
Nice set of characters so far: the embodiment of curiosity; the ability of deduction; a useless fact 'database' with perfect memory;

This show kinda reminds me of "Tanaka-kun is Always Listless," in case you're looking for another show with an unbelievably lazy MC who meticulously plans out his day to use the least amount of energy possible. (Although, Tanaka-kun is a comedy).
m-i-c-h-a-e-lDec 23, 2016 6:33 PM
Feb 17, 2017 2:50 AM
May 2015
Truly amazimg art, the kind of details the scenes provide are incomparable. Very good start of the story, and the genre is perfect for me, mystery, school, romance. Chitanda is the cutest girl in anime world. Houtaru had a love at first glance scenario! Hope the rest of the serise will entertain me with progress of the romance.
Mar 13, 2017 6:23 AM

Sep 2016
Completely, Hopelessly, Endlessly, Totally fan for life for Chitanda
Mar 27, 2017 11:02 AM
Mar 2017
Doesn't the opening song remind one of that of "Myself Yourself"? (if anybody has seen that anime)
Mar 27, 2017 11:02 AM
Mar 2017
Doesn't the opening song remind one of that of "Myself Yourself"? (if anybody has seen that anime)
May 27, 2017 5:10 PM

Nov 2016
Plotwise it wasn't interesting at all, but it's just the beginning.

The characters are amusing, especially the MC, I like his attitude.

The stunning visuals are standing out the most so far, but I really don't hope that's the (only) reason for the popularity of this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 31, 2017 5:13 PM

Aug 2013
I finally have the time to watch this.

Not a bad start, considering it's the first episode. I like the MC so far being the lazy time.

The OP is catchy.

Jul 1, 2017 9:33 AM

Feb 2015
Animation was very good. Characters come across as just OK. Pacing felt "off" to me. Interactions were quite good. Mysteries were quite uninteresting. Let's hope this anime improves!
Aug 9, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
Solid first episode, standard aloof mc with a cute girl in his club. It's worth watching the next few episodes
Sep 26, 2017 6:47 AM

Apr 2015
I really like the three characters we've met so far. I also relate to the main character more than I'd like to admit with his effort to do the absolute bare minimum. Too bad he got distracted from his goal by a cute girl.

It seems these kids have an almost Scooby gang like knack for solving mysteries. Most high school students wouldn't think so much about something as simple as a door being locked for a few minutes.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 27, 2017 8:44 AM

Nov 2015

I don't think I can hold 22 eps of this. It was so boring.
Yeah, the artstyle and animation are good to the eye, as always coming from KyoAni, but still, the plot seemed boring. Yeah, the purple eyes girl is intrigued by everything and every "mystery", the green eyes guy can resolve anything because he's a special shut in, and the other orange eyes guy is the sidekick.

And yes, that's how I call them, by the color of their eyes.

I'll give it a shot but not today. I was left with no intentions of watching another episode for today. ZzZzzZzz.
Apr 29, 2018 7:45 AM

Apr 2013
Beautiful art and animation as expected of KyoAni. The characters seem interesting so far not not cliche. Setting is pretty generic though with students meeting in a club. Story so far about solving school mysteries, seems like this will stay lighthearted.
Nov 28, 2018 3:12 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
So unfair... this is playing dirty!! First 10 minutes in and I was already tempted to give Eru a spot on my favorite characters.

You will find it very hard to met someone (mostly males than females), that would not be captured by her eagerness and spirit for curiosity.
She is just too cute, it is unfair!
So bright, shinning this much, one will only want to reach its hand out.
Besides lets talk about that VA, different from what I see for most female cast, the VA feels just so freaking accurate, so charming and alluring~~

Had not realized this was KyoAni doing until someone comment here and I double checked on that, GOD! Visuals, PURRFECT!
MC male is very interesting so far, and even he failed to deflect best girl charms.

We men are such weak creatures, if face of something so bright, pure, cheerful and honest, we can only comply, and just bask a bit more under the sunlight.
Mar 25, 2019 8:14 AM

May 2015
Yeah it was ok first episode, but i hope it gets beeter.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 20, 2019 10:59 PM
Apr 2019
Hey can you tell me how to watch anime on this site? It's not opening from any side!
Apr 22, 2019 1:35 AM
Jan 2017
Nino_arisugawa23 said:
Hey can you tell me how to watch anime on this site? It's not opening from any side!

This isn't a website to watch anime on.
Apr 22, 2019 6:50 AM
Apr 2019
Then how am I suppose to watch it?
Do I have to pay for it?
May 19, 2019 12:51 PM

Jul 2016
Not the most entertaining of first episodes but man, the art direction was just outstanding.
Jan 19, 2020 9:40 PM
Apr 2016
Certainly as beautiful as I've heard, especially the animation. Simple "mysteries" this time, but I guess it is an introduction episode.
May 17, 2020 5:56 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Hyouka currently.

KyoAni did a very good job with the animation for this premiere, but man the actual content from this episode rivals some of Detective Conan's worst fillers I've seen so far. Actually, Conan's better since at least they had an entertaining main character and a couple of nice side characters at least for each episode, and were good from the first episode.

This episode was really pretty with a ton of effort applied by KyoAni, but man did it feel like the episode went 2 hours long. Really exhausting, and frankly, I can relate to Oreki. I want to put no effort when seeing this, but the start was really a hassle to get through. The mystery setup was so boring, but at least it's only been 1 episode. Hoping to see improvements further on.
May 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Mar 2016
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 29, 2012

377 by sahzzy_sama »»
May 23, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.