Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2012 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, this has to have some of the best animation I've ever seen in an anime. Everything looks fluid and fantastic, and then the lighting and color palette gives off plenty of character and atmosphere. If nothing else, this is going to be one looker. KyoAni definitely doesn't disappoint in that regard.

Eru's cuteness is also a miracle of the universe. Hnnnngg~

It's already showing a lot of potential, let's hope that the rest of it keeps up to around this quality for the rest of the series. Might be my favorite show of the season already.
Apr 22, 2012 9:17 AM
Apr 2011
Man that was pretty good.
Animation is great, as expected from KyoAni. Feels like a movie.

Also, I really fucking love long hair. Just amazing.
Apr 22, 2012 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
Well, after waiting for nearly 3 weeks, this series finally premiered. (although there was a special premiere @ Kadowaka Cinema, Shinjuku if you were lucky enough to be there).

Anyways, it's starts off as a typical school setting. Our MC is here is named Houtarou Oreki who in his minds and his friend describes him as someone who is not keen in joining clubs, play sports, or socializing.

Dat eyes!

So right off the bat, we have a little mystery involving locked rooms and such.

Beautiful, just beautiful:

Well, an overall enjoyable episode especially for a nice Sunday night, right? I mean, the art is nice and the OP song is catchy. There wasn't too much action in this first episode and not all the characters were introduced. Still, with the current characters and their contrasting personalities, I'm enjoying this series so far. Anyways, looking forward to next week of this mystery series.

^_^

Stark700Apr 22, 2012 8:28 PM
Apr 22, 2012 9:43 AM

Jul 2011
Shit episode.
Shit plot.
Shit taste.
As expected of Komeiji.
Apr 22, 2012 9:59 AM

Apr 2012
nice plot
nice Op
nice characters
nice art

Asclepsios-RinApr 22, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 22, 2012 10:35 AM

Jan 2008
So far a majority of the posts have been nothing but about the animation.

So... is there actually any "mystery" in this show?

/haven't watched ep1.
Apr 22, 2012 10:59 AM

Feb 2008
Paul said:

/haven't watched ep1.

This isn't going to be some kind of modern day Gosick, I can tell you that. It's more about the characters than it is the mystery, and what they solve is mostly minor and trivial.
Apr 22, 2012 11:01 AM

Mar 2008
Veronin said:
Paul said:

/haven't watched ep1.

This isn't going to be some kind of modern day Gosick, I can tell you that. It's more about the characters than it is the mystery, and what they solve is mostly minor and trivial.

so probably Kamisama no Memochou-like :/ well.. will still watch it xD
Apr 22, 2012 11:02 AM
Mar 2008
I just watched a glimpse during the live stream
lol @ the male voices (Okazaki and Sunohara from Clannad. KyoAni trolling full force).
Apr 22, 2012 11:17 AM

Nov 2007
It's ep.1, so it's just introduction.

lol @ weird moments.

Then the talk about mystery instead of classics. Anime about investigation about "mystery", and that main guy is good at logic.

Wait, I saw Yui-chan's name on the credit!! Mitsuishi (三石)?
tsubasaloverApr 22, 2012 11:28 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 22, 2012 11:40 AM

Feb 2011
This dosent feel like a episode one thread :/
Apr 22, 2012 12:07 PM

Oct 2010
akutasame94 said:
yumekichi11 said:
A very anticipated anime for many I see. Indeed the hiding of this project is over and full blown. TBH it impressed as much as this anime:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2596/Ghost_Hound
Right from start it did not seem likely to be that kind of anime. However as things started to get creepy in the spoiler
that’s when fear creeped in.
WTF is that thing? Some Another Ghost possessing the class. Damn how many people die badly or want a curse, damn looks like death wants it revenge on Japan or something. Anyway that was totally creepy à la grudge more than anything. I wonder is the girl like dead or just swept away and able to be saved?

Based on her reaction in the following,

Along with her faces in the spoiler
I can safely say that Eru Chitanda is in MY HAREM and is claimed by me as of now. In fact I had eyes for her since her first PV intro. Her joy and enthusiasm to say the least as of this episode is what gets to me.

In fact I love her so much I did the following,

And not only does it seem mysterious but I have narrowed down the possibility of what her powers may be. I think it has to do with Druids and Vegetation. If you look in the spoiler
those flowers as stills……I did research came up with this:
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ornithogalum+narbonense
http://www.glowimages.com/imagedetails/33045111/image_of_CBR1090.Ornithogalum%20narbonense%20Liguria%20Italy.html
It’s the closest I came in looks and shape of those flowers. Remains to see if it pans out as the episodes roll by.
If not then my #2 choice is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistletoe
Which is a common flower used in exorcism in animes but so are Ornithogalum narbonense. Interesting stuff already. Eru might some sort of Druid Maiden that can exorcise living out her life as normally as possible. A rather poignant enchanting thing. Might edit later.

BTW Big GIFs in BLOG:
http://ecchiking99.blogspot.ca/2012/04/hyouka-episode-1-gifs.html
Too big size but I might add more there.

Made a pics dumb:
http://ecchiking99.blogspot.ca/2012/04/pics-of-hyouka-episode-1.html
Have fun choosing anything you want.

GIFs avatars and signatures of some stuff of this series:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=432067
In the club. Start it up.
Now I wanna watch it even more...

Looks so good...
It is, unlike Tasogare, this one is like Zero fan service and gorgeous effects + scenery + atmosphere. It's like you can see the budget that goes into ecchi in animes what it can do in other areas when a series does not need any in the mystery department.

You know call me crazy but I also get vibes from:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2931/Mokke
don't know why but some elements make me think of it. However it's far from this type except in the scenery field. They looks similar in landscape quality.
Yvese said:
Being a KyoAni fanboy I can already tell I'm going to give this a 9 or 10 lol XD
No discussion! A 10 I gave right away. Hope it does NOT make a -1 somewhere along the lines.
Yumekichi11Apr 23, 2012 8:34 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 22, 2012 12:07 PM

Dec 2011
watched raw...

Understood very little, is this something about curse?

Well I can't comment story as I understood too little, but animation... OMG
Apr 22, 2012 12:11 PM

Oct 2010
akutasame94 said:
Understood very little, is this something about curse?
Yes and no. Yes for curses are part of the supernatural but no cause it would undermine the variations of the anime. Curses are part of the supernatural hence included but this series is not about one. I for one am glad cause too many animes axe themselves on that concept too much.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 22, 2012 12:42 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Lovely. There is so much relevant content in this discussion.

:/

Let's join the bandwagon then: nice animation as expected.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 22, 2012 1:13 PM

Apr 2011
Dat Animation....

So this is what sex feels liek!?
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Apr 22, 2012 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
Liked the first episode, characters should be interesting.
mdzApr 22, 2012 6:17 PM
Apr 22, 2012 1:34 PM

Nov 2007
Best buddies are back! Nakamura Yuuichi (Okazaki Tomoya) as Houtarou and
Sakaguchi Daisuke (Sunohara Youhei) as Satoshi!

The animation level is... stunning!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 22, 2012 1:37 PM

Jul 2010
Those mind teases were done really nicely.
Apr 22, 2012 4:07 PM

May 2011
Those eyes could kill a man.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Apr 22, 2012 4:23 PM
Aug 2010
Veronin said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, this has to have some of the best animation I've ever seen in an anime. Everything looks fluid and fantastic, and then the lighting and color palette gives off plenty of character and atmosphere. If nothing else, this is going to be one looker. KyoAni definitely doesn't disappoint in that regard.

Eru's cuteness is also a miracle of the universe. Hnnnngg~

It's already showing a lot of potential, let's hope that the rest of it keeps up to around this quality for the rest of the series. Might be my favorite show of the season already.

Yeah, good animation. Right. But that's all. Next.
Much like K-ON!, except instead of having utter void beside its good animation it has mediocre mystery. The first case had the most anticlimactic resolution possible, the second was at least a tad surprising, but the last one was commonplace as hell. Thankfully, the dialogues between the two boys seem to have something to offer, but coming from such a studio, I know I'm not to expect anything more than a bland moeblob as to the female character.

Apr 22, 2012 4:27 PM

Apr 2009
What I don't like about it are heavily K-Onized facial expressions, but other than that... it's really good! The art is great, and makes use of some really interesting and creative effects - the "mystery" sequences stylized as watercolor painting (or so I think at least - pic). The music have an "organic" feel to it, and the occasional use of classical pieces (that entrance of Air on G String was perfect!) makes it even better. Dialogue was a bit hard to follow, but that may be the subs' fault (watched [Commie] - I see [Mazui] released their version, and [gg] plans on picking it up as well... I'm indecisive about my final choice, I have good opinion about all those groups :D). Premise and story seem good, we'll see how it goes in later episodes.

Overall, doesn't seem like 10/10 material, but still a really solid show. And KyoAni really shines with audiovisuals, it's worth watching even if just for them.
Apr 22, 2012 4:32 PM

Dec 2011
That is some nice animation.
Eru's eyes... can't have enough of it. She is too cute!

Starting today, Houtarou's motto is my motto. Hahaha.
It is so right. Why bother doing things you don't want to? Hahaha.
Can't wait for more...

and there is 21 episodes! Yay!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 4:34 PM
Aug 2010
kFYatek said:
(that entrance of Air on G String was perfect!)

Thanks a lot. I was wondering what piece was playing, forgot to ask. Pretty awe-inspiring.

Apr 22, 2012 4:39 PM

Mar 2009
hell yeah shit was great
Apr 22, 2012 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode,

The animation is pretty good,the ost seems interesting,and the characters are also no bad so far specially Eru.

Eru is just soooo cute!! Her eyes really make you fall for her,she really have this charisma that any good main female needs....yep Welcome to my Harem ERU CHITANDA MUHAHAHAHAHA....aham.

Houtarou kinda cool guy also she also fall to those eyes,Fukabe also interesting guy thats a friend everyone wants.

Well both "mysteries"were pretty obvious from the beginning but it was ok is still first episode.

Next episode it seems the 4th member will appear...will look forward for it!!
Apr 22, 2012 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
Animation and art style is top notch as expected from KyoAni. The OP was also amazing.

All in all, a great ep. Look forward to next week.

EDIT: Can't find the full song of the OP anywhere :(

Not even youtube has the full version. Grr.
YveseApr 22, 2012 5:03 PM
Apr 22, 2012 4:56 PM

Jul 2011
Great animation.
Love the MC.
Amazing opening.

I think I'm going to enjoy this anime. :D
Apr 22, 2012 5:02 PM
Jun 2011
Finally got to watch it, im not suprised that this is my favorite series of the season. And thats saying a lot becase this season has a lot of superb anime.
Apr 22, 2012 5:03 PM

Feb 2012
Just beautiful, aside from that I'm already liking the characters (gotta love Eru) and smell heavy dialogues in the future, I will probably love every second if it turns out Bakemonogatari-style. Add to that some real mystery shit and I'm more than sold.

The music is pretty good, too. They even got the Moonlight Sonata in it, this is already a masterpiece for me.

You really can't deny that this is gorgeous, that's reason enough to watch this.
ZhouApr 22, 2012 5:24 PM
Apr 22, 2012 5:03 PM

Oct 2010
Pretty average episode to be honest. The animation was great, but that's about it. I feel like KyoAni is limiting the show by putting in Nakamura and Sakaguchi as voice actors, especially for two characters that are so similar to Tomoya and Sunohara. I mean, I felt kind of deprived of the feeling when you're introduced to a new character, because they're practically the same as their Clannad predecessors.
Opening visuals were great, but the music was average I think. Either way, looking forward to the new character in the next episode.
Apr 22, 2012 5:07 PM

Mar 2011
An intellectual anime (smell heavy dialogues in the future)
Superb animation
Feel bit bored, but i'm sure it will get more interesting. This kind of anime needs more time to connect with the viewers
Great opening
Great overall
Firixizu_MintApr 22, 2012 5:23 PM
Apr 22, 2012 5:08 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
For some reason that girl is very unsettling. I cringe whenever I see her or listen to her talk.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 22, 2012 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
I'm loving the art, the opening was also pretty awesome
foot_lickerApr 22, 2012 5:34 PM
Apr 22, 2012 5:15 PM

Feb 2012
yokaii said:
Pretty average episode to be honest. The animation was great, but that's about it. I feel like KyoAni is limiting the show by putting in Nakamura and Sakaguchi as voice actors, especially for two characters that are so similar to Tomoya and Sunohara. I mean, I felt kind of deprived of the feeling when you're introduced to a new character, because they're practically the same as their Clannad predecessors.
Opening visuals were great, but the music was average I think. Either way, looking forward to the new character in the next episode.
I personally love that Nakamura and Sakaguchi are playing alongside each other again. Now.. if Nakahara played Eru that would just complete it :D

It's just great to see KyoAni doing something where there's actual male leads again ( Minus disappearance )
Apr 22, 2012 5:19 PM

Jan 2011
wakka9ca said:
For some reason that girl is very unsettling. I cringe whenever I see her or listen to her talk.

I don't like her attachment to the MC. I was hoping she would be more independent.
[center]
Apr 22, 2012 5:21 PM

Nov 2008
It got a good start, liked the art and characters so far. Hope there will be interesting mystery's.
Apr 22, 2012 5:27 PM

Oct 2010
Yvese said:
yokaii said:
I personally love that Nakamura and Sakaguchi are playing alongside each other again. Now.. if Nakahara played Eru that would just complete it :D

It's just great to see KyoAni doing something where there's actual male leads again ( Minus disappearance )

It really depends whether or not you're a Clannad fan. (or the duo anyway)
As for your other point - I feel like this season's all about male leads - Accel World, Medaka, Nazo no Kanojo, Sakamichi, Tasogare ..., Tsuritama, Sankarea.
Apr 22, 2012 5:29 PM

Nov 2008
I've been looking forward to this series since I saw the spring preview poster and even though it was a weird first episode, it was rather enjoyable. The characters seem interesting, I'll be looking forward to this every week!
Apr 22, 2012 5:34 PM

Feb 2012
I like the relaxed feel of the show, the animation is smooth as many have already said, and the protagonist being a relatively aloof kind of makes it for me since I like those type of calm/collected MC's.
Apr 22, 2012 5:37 PM

Jul 2011
This girl is fucking adorable.

In love <3.
Apr 22, 2012 5:44 PM

Oct 2010
Insidious said:
This girl is fucking adorable.

In love <3.

You beat me to it. lol

I know Chitanda Eru is adorable.
Apr 22, 2012 5:45 PM

Apr 2010
Interesting opening episode, I can't wait until the actual story begins though.

4/5 for this episode.
Apr 22, 2012 5:45 PM
Jan 2012
This OP... by Choucho!!!
LOVE IT! XD
Apr 22, 2012 5:47 PM

Feb 2008
Oh come on people. You are exaggerating it too much. The mysteries weren't THAT bad. They were just as expected, weak and mostly conversation about them. The "Who locked the door" mystery was just boring. Even Detective Conan's Detective Boys fillers without Haibara have done better (mystery-wise). I obviously don't expect murders, but I hope that they bring some interesting mysteries into the game. The whole mystery was kinda out of character for the heroine. She is supposed to be really intelligent, yet she managed to get locked in by that guy, without noticing. I understand why that guy locked the door, it was probably his habit, as he was locking all doors. Also, what with the main guy entering a locked room and just staring at the girl without even saying hello or anything appropriate. Talk about manners in Japan.

Nice visuals though.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 22, 2012 5:50 PM

Apr 2010
Slow start, but damn, that animation.

I'm trying to keep my expectations stabilized, so I won't expect too much.
Apr 22, 2012 5:59 PM

Mar 2011
good episode.. looking forward for some real mystery :)

Apr 22, 2012 6:02 PM

Oct 2011
In my opinion a good start into an Anime of that kind.
The Animation was really amazing and I liked the Opening aswell.
The Story and Characters seems to be interesting, too.
I also liked the Motto of Houtarou.
It 's like my life described in a single sentence xD
I'm already looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 22, 2012 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
DAT animation! I like the quotes. I was a little disappointed at the mysteries but ehh. Every day mysteries aren't too bad.
Apr 22, 2012 6:05 PM

Dec 2010
Great first episode; that animation, that OP; definitely gonna keep watching this XD

That aside is it just me, or does 8 hates already seem like a lot; almost seems like its gonna be another show that people either love or hate; which is a shame because those shows always bring all kinds of trolling without much of a middle ground.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM

» Season 2?

RealityChanges - Feb 20

25 by xJuse »»
Feb 28, 12:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.