Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 21, 2018 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have to say, this first episode is quite something and definitely has an interesting premise related to archery.

The OP song gave me the impression of a Kyoto Animation show with its high quality production. There's a good degree of realism in regards to the character lives and setting. Beyond just the visuals, I like the diverse cast so far. That Nanao guy sure is popular lol

A great start for the first episode. That archery club has quite a lot of members, much more than I had anticipated. This show also has surprisingly good music imo. I'm guessing this is more of a character drama driven story. Really curious to know more about Minato Narumiya.
Stark700Oct 21, 2018 11:16 AM
Oct 21, 2018 8:36 AM

Nov 2007
A boy falling in love with the sound when arrow was shot, Tsurune, huh.

As expected by Luck Life, OP song was awesome!

Main guy and megane guy are friends.

The two meeting old friend, huh.

Reviving archery club, huh. All three of them did Japanese archery before.

The pair: guy popular with girls and guy with scary eyes are also experienced with archery. There are many people checking up (not officially joined) not so serious. There's someone who also knows about the main guy and seems to know his situation.

Proper archery forms (as I saw in Kaji100). It seems like something happened to the main guy in the past that made him unable to do archery anymore.

Main guy meeting someone with beautiful archery.

ED is beautiful.
tsubasaloverOct 28, 2018 8:17 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 21, 2018 10:53 AM

Oct 2015
I liked the music. Characters seem like archetypes and the drama is cranked up way too early in my opinion but hey it looks visually appealing and I have the feeling it can turn into a solid drama so I'll keep watching once it's over. Despite my shitty Japanese it was pretty easy to follow too.
Auron_Oct 21, 2018 11:07 AM
Oct 21, 2018 10:59 AM

Oct 2018
Oh my lord, that was beautiful, but I expected no less from Kyoani. This was my most hyped anime of fall, next to Run with the Wind, and the first episode totally delivered!

All the boys are so cute! I'm watching out for Kaito and Nanoa for now though, they seem interesting. The characters do seem to fall into archetypes, particularly glasses boy, Arrow Kageyama, and Archery Makoto seem basic. I do like the interactions though, those are adorable, especially Nanoa calling Kaito "Kaa-chan", that made me understand what an uwu is.

The plot is similar to other series though, but it's fine, the characters and animation were good enough for me to finish the episode, but damn kyoani and your ability to make every character so cute, even the background girls and guys!

Ah well, this was a cute episode, a nice introduction to the characters, can't wait for the next episode~
BackstageMageOct 21, 2018 11:16 AM

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 21, 2018 11:29 AM
Sep 2015
The first episode introduction scene play exactly the same structure as Dive!! Though it's usual for this type of sports anime that appreciate the aesthetic of the sport than competitiveness that will carried a lot of poetic narrative throughout the story.
And I can't wait to see them do Kyudo in half bare-chest cloth, whatever it called, KyoAni is specialized in male muscle anyway.
Oct 21, 2018 11:55 AM

Jan 2015
Visually stunning as expected from Kyoto Animation

It was a very first good episode, but there’s already drama to it
Oct 21, 2018 11:55 AM

Nov 2016
Nice start. I like the fact that this is rather calm and drama focussed compared to the other sports series this season.

Visuals and sound are good, as expected of Kyoani. Also like the opening.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2018 11:58 AM

May 2015
I've been really looking forward to this show, and the first episode didn't disappoint. The visuals were as good as I was hoping for and it had a really nice soundtrack to match. I really enjoyed the characters too, they're very likeable.

My only negative is the whole 'the veteran who doesn't want to play the sport anymore being forced to join the club' plot. We also have it with Run with the Wind this season, and we had it with Hanebado last season. I'm a bit a sick of it, so I hope it gets resolved early on.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 21, 2018 11:59 AM

Jun 2016
A good first episode. Wait... is this a main protagonist who actually overcome the loss of a parent and can say it out loud? Interesting.

P.S. Yaoi Fangirls should stop calling this a BL. (please)
Oct 21, 2018 12:03 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic start, this is definitely the season of sports anime.

The opening sequence was so captivating, I absolutely loved it. Soundtrack is great and the visuals are good as expected.

I liked most of the characters and the pace seemed to flow naturally, which I liked. The initial plot line of having the veteran MC who's given up on sport join again definitely feels kinda classic but the execution seems quite good so I'm sure this will get better as it goes on.

The archery scenes are great and very compelling, I love the little ritual to shooting in the sport.

So Narumiya has target panic? Basically he panics at the moment of shooting? Interesting, wonder what brought that on.

Looking forward to more.
Oct 21, 2018 12:08 PM

Dec 2010
really liked the first episode. It gave me Free! vibes by how the story trying to reach.
Oct 21, 2018 12:12 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm, very interesting start.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 21, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2008
I do kyudo myself and I'm so happy that there are so many little details and they are accurate. usually when I see anime fanarts of characters doing kyudo I cringe because people draw it so incorrectly, the arrow position etc etc, so I'm so happy to finally see kyudo being portrayed accurately. they do shoot a bit too fast (irl it's kinda slower due to synchronising the steps with breathing) but I'm very satisfied with the first ep. can't wait to see more! the local kyudo club I belong to is very excited about this anime as well lol I hope a lot of people will give it a try even if kyudo itself isn't very popular compared to other ports like volleybal, swimming etc. and kyudo isn't only just a sport so... hopefully people won't find it boring.
Oct 21, 2018 1:12 PM
Oct 2018
Main protagonist "forced" to the archery club.
First episode and already have a drama huh.
Hope doesnt turned out like hanebado.
The story is just flowing nice and definetily like it.
I guess something happened to the main protagonist with her mother.
Love the first episode.
Best sport anime this season so far.
Oct 21, 2018 1:24 PM

Apr 2016
Mhm, I love it already.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Oct 21, 2018 1:29 PM

Apr 2009
Man, this was incredibly dull and without a ounce of originality.

Oct 21, 2018 1:29 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Good-looking visually as one would expect since it's KyoAni but... ehh otherwise seems kinda like any other sports anime thus far. Pretty generic
Oct 21, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2011
I really liked this start, the animation was good as expected, with great motion, and it even showed the technical side of the kyuudoubu, it was really good. I usually don't like to see people being forced into doing things, and poor Minato might have felt mortified after failing like that, but there's something preventing him from doing what he loves, so it's nice that people who care are trying to recover this for him. I mean, it's not like they needed him because he is super talented or because they didn't have enough members, Ryouhei, Seiya and Tommy-sensei only cared about him enough to not give up.

He seems to be lonely living with his dad too, but thanks to the ED I feel like he just had a really special meeting at the end of the episode. That guy's draw wasn't the only beautiful thing about him for sure. And I love Ryouhei, and his energy already, he seems to be like a ray of sunshine. We also have yet another Kacchan here, but even though I liked his appearance, I can't say the same about his personality, but let's see. I also liked the OP, and the ED, this one had a late start in the season, I think it was even pushed back at first, but it was worth the wait!
Oct 21, 2018 1:39 PM
Nov 2016
Wow! I enjoyed this so much and I'm glad that I watched the first episode. The animation is good. I like that there are several characters and that the friends of the MC want to help him to overcome this pain from the past.
Oct 21, 2018 1:44 PM

Apr 2018
I was really looking forward to this new new anime, since I played archery back in middle school.
Kyoto Animation doesn't disappoint, as always: that's a great start, the OP is awesome!
Oct 21, 2018 1:47 PM

Jul 2017
It was decent. The sound effects with the archery, the Tsurune I guess, was great to listen to. Felt real.

The OP song was also fantastic, art & animation were pretty good (although the character faces look very generic).

I'm curious to see how the drama works with this show. It has potential to be something good or it could also be too heavy handed like Hanebado was.

Characters wise, I don't really care for anyone yet but I dislike Ryouhei. God he was annoying in this one for me. I feel like with time, I could like Minato's character.

Overall, it was a nice start but nothing mindblowing.
Oct 21, 2018 2:04 PM

Jun 2016
animejas said:
The OP song was also fantastic, art & animation were pretty good (although the character faces look very generic).

IMO the "generic" character faces are ok -> adds a little more "realistic" tone to the series. (Which it needs)
Oct 21, 2018 2:11 PM
Feb 2012
no it won't turn into Hanebado because that was a stupid female sport series and Japan doesn't know how to handle sport drama with only girls without turning it into a complete soap opera

as you can see male sports series are already dramatic enough in their own right

Nanao is the obligatory Kyoani twink
ahneemeOct 21, 2018 3:06 PM
Oct 21, 2018 2:12 PM

Oct 2010
Great OP and ED themes. Love ChouCho. Main character seems to have the typical "my mom died so I suck at my big thing" plot going on but overall it's still very interesting. I love Kyudo. This show also has the best subs of the season. Respecting both JP name ordering and honorifics. I love it. I especially loved that they didn't translate "Kyudo" as "archery" like other anime subs and dubs have done - it's factually incorrect. As this episode has shown, this is pretty different than standard archery. It's its own thing and should be respected as such so I'm glad the subber respected it. Great first episode over all. I expected nothing less from KyoAni. Absolutely stunning visuals, beautiful soundtrack, and interesting characters.
Oct 21, 2018 2:22 PM

Dec 2016
So far so good! Nice start :)

Hmm... Kaito's glare looks very intimidating o_o" Nanao's a pretty boy alright. Very bubbly and charismatic :3 Are they really cousins? Cuz I was almost shipping those two for the second XD

Merha? Really?? It almost sounds like he's saying a bad word >< not good! Portuguese people will understand what I am trying to point out. For those wondering what in the world am I talking about, it's almost like they are saying sh!t, so yeah... now you know... shocking...

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 21, 2018 2:30 PM

Jul 2017
Nice ep, as expected of Kyoani to really nail the visuals and sound as always.

Looks like another one to add to the slow(er)-paced atmospheric shows this season

omoi11 said:
Main protagonist "forced" to the archery club.
First episode and already have a drama huh.
Hope doesnt turned out like hanebado.
The story is just flowing nice and definetily like it.
I guess something happened to the main protagonist with her mother.
Love the first episode.
Best sport anime this season so far.

inb4 mother faked her death so he would get better at Kyudo
Oct 21, 2018 3:15 PM
May 2007
Nexosan said:
P.S. Triggered Fanboys should stop calling this a yaoi. (please)

There. Fixed it for you.
Oct 21, 2018 3:51 PM

Oct 2018
Uninspiring and frankly boring first episode. The heavy handed drama didn't help either. Great character designs though,
Oct 21, 2018 3:51 PM

Apr 2015
is pretty, i hope really practice the sport and not only be the history of characters, and i love Asanuma as Takigawa, the last dialogue
Oct 21, 2018 4:01 PM

Dec 2010
The MC's backstory was ... pretty generic. That ending was so random, I thought for a second it was gonna be a ghost.
Oct 21, 2018 4:06 PM

Sep 2010
It's enjoying to watch if you don't take it seriously
Oct 21, 2018 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
That's Atsushi's Seiyuu, awesome!

Damn, it looks so beautiful and archery is a sport I actually care about, at least more than about ball sports or anything.

I really like the characters for now, the drama for prota-kun and the atmosphere to this anime is really relaxing and soothing.

Also, I can't believe it, there are girls. What a progress for a sport anime, which isn't Welcome to the Ballroom lol.
Oct 21, 2018 5:13 PM

Oct 2015
That was a great start and I think me and this anime are going to get along well.

I think it has all the ingredients for a good sports anime, all they have to do is cook for us a great dish of passion and an inspirational drama.

Looking forward to the next episode.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 21, 2018 5:31 PM

Nov 2010
Well the animation was what we came to expect from KyoAni and the soundtrack was incredible, but the story as always seems to be the weak point.

Btw i can't be the only one thinking that it is weird that we got a poster with only guys when we have a mixed club. I mean i like my gay stuff as much as the next guy, but even gay undertone/romance wins by having other relationships that are not gay around it (plus it would be quite more realistic, even if that is not something everyone cares about), if we only get gay stories we kind of lose out in the long run (your standard harem is not really in contention with serious slice of life/romance).
Oct 21, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2017
Good first episode. As expected it was very pretty. There's quite a large number of people interested in the archery club/have already joined. That kinda surprised me.

We have the mc doesn't wanna join club trope, but I wasn't expecting him to miss when he went to shoot initially. I wonder if that scar has anything to do with him losing his touch. Unless I misunderstood, it said his mom died when he was in grade 6, but he was still shooting in middle school, so I wouldn't think it's directly related to that.

Anyway it's a good start so I'm excited to see more.
Oct 21, 2018 6:20 PM

May 2017
that was so good..

beautiful art, animation, colors and soundtrack!

already liking the characters.

very much looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 21, 2018 6:52 PM
May 2007
That ending. I always love male-male fated encounter like that. The feels ♥
Oct 21, 2018 6:55 PM
Dec 2017
This has a pretty generic set up to it and imho animation-wise is below what I expect from KyoAni, though not bad by any means. Surprisingly I think the worst aspect of this show so far are its character designs, they were painful to look at. Also seems like another anime from KyoAni that queerbaits. Regardless, the soundtrack was pretty good and I'll give it atleast another episode.
Oct 21, 2018 7:33 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid introductory episode, albeit the cliche target panic!

So Tsurune is a sound from the bow and arrow, who would’ve thought? Our main character, Narumiya, seems like a somewhat interesting character but again much too similar to Kakeru of ‘Run With the Wind’ and Hanesaki of ‘Hanebado!’ and even the initial premise of it seems much too alike. I hope this gets resolved quickly though and doesn’t span the entirety of the cour like Hanebado did. Quick drama right off the bat too, and very alike to Free! in this regard. But then again, the breathtaking visuals and the exhilarating music have been simply brilliant KyoAni-level. I wonder who that archer in the end was, seeing the ED though I’m assuming he’s some pro who’ll most likely raise our main character’s spirits.

All in all, a pretty typical but entertaining watch! I’m looking forward to what the later episodes have to offer.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 21, 2018 7:35 PM

Jul 2009
But who's that hottie at the end of the episode tho 0.0

I think I'm gonna really enjoy this anime. It has all the things I love
1) archery
2) boys
3) it's a sports anime and this genre tends to draw me in. I swear anime can make any sport/topic interesting.
Oct 21, 2018 7:45 PM

Jul 2016
I liked the visuals and the OST was nice as well.

The initial drama seems pretty generic, to be honest but it doesn't really matter. All in all. I would like to see how the plot will develop from there.
Oct 21, 2018 7:46 PM

Mar 2016
The biggest problem I have with KyoAni is that they focus so much on pretty characters, art and animation that everything else looks bad in comparison. This anime didn't do that. The characters are pretty, but not sparklingly pretty, and the use of colours go quite well with the story. I liked this episode.

I liked how the protagonist fell in love with the sound of the bow's string, and wanted to learn archery. More than a character doing something because they're good at it, it's more interesting when a character works hard to do something they really love and appreciate.

The problems I had with this episode were very minor stuff. I felt Seiya's voice didn't suit him. Kaito is the typical angry guy. Nanao is the typical cheerful guy. I feel like he's one of those characters who look weak, but is actually quite skilled.
Oct 21, 2018 8:03 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I usually don't have any expectations except for good visuals when going into KyoAni stuff, but I did for Tsurune. I really want to like a show from them. So far, the first episode wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. There were some dull moments, as well as well-paced moments. I tried out kyudo a few times during college, but didn't continue with it. But actually having tried it makes me appreciate the portrayal of kyudo in the series. Though it's to be expected, since KyoAni will always do their research, it's still nice to see and feel the atmosphere, the tension.

As for the characters, I love seeing childhood friends and all, but I feel like two is enough, it doesn't have to be three. It's just a small nitpick though. So far, I do like Seiya and am a bit interested in Minato. I also really like their VAs, Ichikawa Aoi and Uemura Yuto (lol Darlifra cast), as well as Ishikai as Kaito. Funny how Kaito is voicing Kaito ^^ Anyways, we'll see. Perhaps I'll find the second episode to be better.
Oct 21, 2018 8:08 PM

Sep 2018
the animation is great, it seems rather accurate to kyudo, and i'm digging the characters, especially nanao, who is like the nagisa of the show. maybe i'm just biased because i love free! and kyoani in general, but this might be my aots. it's a bit to early to tell, but it already looks promising! 5/5
Oct 21, 2018 8:14 PM
Apr 2018
Luck Life for the OP! Man, that was so good!
Oct 21, 2018 8:57 PM

May 2010
KyoAni wtf is the generic and boring shit. The cast is so damn dull.
Oct 21, 2018 10:12 PM

Jan 2008
This definitely looks like it's gearing toward the female-audience crowd with an all male main cast (some series do it well, while others are just fujoshi fanservice) with all the actual female club members not being main characters--relegated to practically mob characters in the background. Nonetheless, I still thought it was alright overall for what it was trying to achieve being a drama series first and foremost. Since I'm more interested in the sport itself, I think I'll stick around for a while...until it starts to get more annoying, like that frivolous and extremely cringy "Merha!~" guy, that I'm 65% sure of is gay.

Estoy_GordoOct 21, 2018 10:16 PM
Oct 21, 2018 10:28 PM
Jan 2016
This anime definitely specifically made for people who enjoy beautiful boys doing things, like Free, You and Me, etc. No doubt. Because Run with the Wind's 1st episode also had all-male cast, but executed & written differently. Pretty disappointing.

Zarkraz said:
KyoAni wtf is the generic and boring shit. The cast is so damn dull.

When I first watched the OP, I thought it's a generically directed OP. But hey, it's just the OP, right? I was wrong. This first episode definitely as unimaginative as the OP, especially the characters.

FuMomo-kun said:
The biggest problem I have with KyoAni is that they focus so much on pretty characters, art and animation that everything else looks bad in comparison.

But characters, visual style, & animation are the only three things you can see with your eyes in an anime. So there's nothing else to look bad. Am I missing something?
Oct 21, 2018 11:39 PM

Sep 2018
4kicks said:
This definitely looks like it's gearing toward the female-audience crowd with an all male main cast (some series do it well, while others are just fujoshi fanservice) with all the actual female club members not being main characters--relegated to practically mob characters in the background. Nonetheless, I still thought it was alright overall for what it was trying to achieve being a drama series first and foremost. Since I'm more interested in the sport itself, I think I'll stick around for a while...until it starts to get more annoying, like that frivolous and extremely cringy "Merha!~" guy, that I'm 65% sure of is gay.

don't insult my son.
Oct 22, 2018 1:51 AM

Mar 2014
This turned out how I imagined it would be from begging to end, lol. I'm impressed how generic it was.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2018

47 by nushrathumaira »»
Aug 18, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2019

92 by Letizia_Lento »»
Aug 9, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2019

47 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2018

47 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2018

75 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.