Forum Settings
Forums

⌛ How many of your top-10 fiction is anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 28, 2022 5:03 AM

Jun 2016
Probably only two.

1. MUSICUS! (eroge)
2. Aikatsu! (cartoon)
3. Tobira no Densetsu (rpg)

I'm too lazy to make a top 10. Only these three matter and worthy of S tier anyway.
Mar 28, 2022 5:27 PM

Oct 2015
Mine is:
1. Subarashiki Hibi (Visual Novel)
2. The Master of Go (Novel)
3. Dream of the Red Chamber (Novel)
4. Farewell, My Concubine (Movie)
5. Soukou Akki Muramasa (Visual Novel)
6. Beauty is a Wound (Novel)
7. Come and See (Movie)
8. Dies Irae (Visual Novel)
9. Silence (Movie)
10. Mahoutsukai no Yoru (Visual Novel)

So basically, none are anime lol.
Mar 29, 2022 5:43 AM

Apr 2012
Alcoholicide said:
Damn, that's a super weeby list you have there OP. No offense, but broaden your horizon a bit, there's more than just japanese subculture entertainment out there :>

You got to remember though that a lot of Americans will, apart from their Japanese subculture entertainment, only really seen a load of different American things. And Americans are just terrible at storytelling, the amount of monotheism, corporate control and segregation in that society just throws up unsurmountable barriers.

Anyway, probably six for me, Eva, Utena, Lain, Princess Tutu, Haruhi and From the New World, along with Doctor Who novels "Dead Romance" and "The Adventuress of Henrietta Street", "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "Yes Minister". Anime at its very best really is hard to match.
Mar 29, 2022 3:47 PM

Feb 2010
logopolis said:
Alcoholicide said:
Damn, that's a super weeby list you have there OP. No offense, but broaden your horizon a bit, there's more than just japanese subculture entertainment out there :>

You got to remember though that a lot of Americans will, apart from their Japanese subculture entertainment, only really seen a load of different American things. And Americans are just terrible at storytelling, the amount of monotheism, corporate control and segregation in that society just throws up unsurmountable barriers.

I think that's especially true for an older, television audience but stuff like Netflix or even Youtube has the potential to expose people way more too international entertainment than any previous generation. At the very least it's much more available so the consumer has the choice to broaden their horizon without having to put in much effort, which you couldn't really say 30 years ago.

There's also plenty of good stuff from America that came out during the last ~80 years or so, even if the overall percentage of good entertainment is minuscule. As long as you never turn on your TV and handpick what you want to check out based on your preferences, you're gonna be fine imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2022 4:11 PM

May 2021
i don’t have a definitive list but i think a top 10 across all mediums would include one anime for sure (aot). popularity aside, I haven’t been so invested in a show over the course of 7 or however many years it’s been...ever. so it’d even be really high up the list i think.

other than that if you can encapsulate all of Pokémon into one list entry video games and like Ash Ketchum /pikachu lore all together that’s on there too for how much of my life has been spent entertained by that universe

Other things that would probably make the list are: end of the f***ing world, Donnie darko, secret life of Walter Mitty, the office, lost, tell tales walking dead series

Mar 29, 2022 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
not in any particular order

The Last of Us 1 (game)
God of War series (game)
Oshi no Ko (manga)
Act Age (manga)
Fate series (anime & vn)
Lord of the Rings (movie)
One Piece (anime)
Naruto (anime)
Sherlock Holmes (mixed media)
Game of Thrones 1-6 (tv series)

so 3/10
May 20, 2022 1:33 PM
Jun 2021

Anime is entertainment, Russian classics are true fiction.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 20, 2022 1:45 PM

Oct 2011
It's really hard to say since I've consumed thousands of media across all platforms, but I think most of my favourite TV shows and video games are higher on my list than most anime. One Piece might only be on my top 10 somewhere if I ever decide to figure this out since it's my #1 favourite anime.
May 20, 2022 5:09 PM
Feb 2022
Couldn't complete a top 10, so here's a top 5

1. Tokyo Ghoul
2. Donnie Darko
3. Joker
4. Nier
5. The Lighthouse
May 20, 2022 10:01 PM

Jul 2021
0, but I have 2 manga there. Berserk and Steel Ball Run

May 20, 2022 10:10 PM

Nov 2021
1 it’s Attack on Titan

Your message must contain 30 characters excluding BBCode, quotes, images, and spaces.

Current character count: 20
May 21, 2022 6:01 AM

Mar 2019
Only Madoka but it's at the top.

Well... maybe the Haruhi franchise as a whole too but it would probably be 10 at most. Bonus points for endless eight. I'm pretty sentimental about both it and Erased due to when I watched both. Disappearance definitely deserves a slot now that I think about it.

Other than that it's all Western TV dramas and movies. If I still read much I'm sure there would be some novels in there too 😔.

Honestly, with the amount of good Western TV dramas over the past 20 years it's hard to pare it down to even only 10. Movie-wise it's a bit easier for me but still tricky. Donnie Darko would definitely feature. (nice to see a number of other people here mentioning it).

Order isn't really strict here other than PMMM but for the sake of discussion:

1) PMMM
2) Donnie Darko
3) Where Eagles Dare
4) Band of Brothers
5) Rescue Me
6) Happy Accidents
7) Silver Linings Playbook
8) 40k shit in general, hard to pick a specific book.
9) Vertigo
10) Haruhi
11) BBC Jane Austen dramas. NGL I would pay good money to see that shit animated. Or even better - an anime Thomas Hardy novel.

Special mention to Breaking Bad which is amazing but I can't see myself ever rewatching. All my favorites I can watch over and over pretty much.
Nox0sMay 21, 2022 6:21 AM
May 21, 2022 6:20 AM

Sep 2010
I don't know how I would compare them but probably 7 or 8 of 10 are anime for me.
Nov 29, 2022 5:46 PM

Oct 2022
Definitely half would be made up of anime and manga, and the other of books that I enjoyed reading

Nov 29, 2022 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
Who goes around there making top 10s? not me.
Nov 29, 2022 7:31 PM

Nov 2015
in no particular order

futurama (animated serie)
LoTR (trilogy movie)
Space brothers (manga)
Maquia when the promised flower blooms (anime movie)
Klaus (animated movie)
Mahoutsukai no yome (anime)
tokyo godfather (anime movie)
Prince of egypt (animated movie)
Kaguya hime (anime movie)
Ernest and Celestine (animated movie)

i like animation more than anything so that's what's going to be here the most.
Mar 25, 2023 8:23 AM

Oct 2022
I never made a ranking from different sources (I won’t consider “highbrow” literature)
I’m mostly a gamer and like the dark fantasy. Presumably only Berserk manga will stay in my top 10.

Mar 25, 2023 9:58 AM

Jan 2021
This is in no particular order; 

Halo 2 (game)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (game)
Fate/Zero (anime)
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back (film)
Fallout New Vegas (game)
Monster (anime)
Breaking Bad (tv series)
Halo 3 (game)
Star Wars Heir the the Empire (book)
Doctor Who Series 1 (tv series)
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 25, 2023 10:17 AM

Jun 2021
001.✡יהוה✡/ - For creating me <3
† ישוע †/ - My reason to live <3
/r/dankchristianmemes
002.Fullmetal Alchemist - All Time Favorite
(Manga > Brotherhood > 2003 > Movies)
003.Sword Art Online (Novels) - My Obsession
(Mother's Rosario > Alicization > Aincrad/Progressive > Ordinal Scale > Unital Ring > Phantom Bullet > Calibur)
004.The Legend of Zelda/Final Fantasy
(Ocarina of Time > Twilight Princess > The Minish Cap > Breath of the Wild > A Link to the Past > The Legend of Zelda > Majora's Mask > Skyward Sword > The Adventure of Link)
(VII+Crisis Core>X+X-2>I>IV+After The Years>IX>VI>VIII>XII>V>II>III>XIII+XIII2+LR>XV)
005.Avatar: the Legend of Aang
(LoK is hot garbage and KorrAsami is a trash pairing)
006.The Lord of the Rings/A Song of Ice and Fire
007.Nasuverse
(Kara no Kyoukai: the Garden of Sinners > Fate > Mahoutsukai no Yoru > Tsukihime > The Rest)
008.HUNTERxHUNTER/Zetsuen no Tempest/Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
(Greed Island > Chimera Ant > Zoldyck Family > Hunter Exam > Heaven's Arena > Yorknew City > The Rest)
(Wish-Crushing Cinema > Kingdom Royale > Rejecting Classroom > Final > Sevennight in the Mud)
009.Koten-bu Series/ Yahari ore No Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru/Haruhi Suzumiya Series
010.Berserk/Monster/Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
(Golden Age > Black Swordsman > Conviction > Falcon of the Millenium Empire > Fantasia)
HM: Chrono Series, CLAMPverse, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Monogatari, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Mar 25, 2023 12:07 PM

Jan 2022
Tendo_GM said:

It’s not even in the top 20 honestly… you can’t compare anime to real fiction
While I agree live action is generally better, anime is real fiction too lol.

Live action has a higher ceiling and a lower floor, and anime is kind of in the middle, no matter what it'll usually be watchable and enjoyable. But it's harder for an anime to reach the heights of a Breaking Bad, or Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, Twin Peaks, Mr Robot. Imo.

Mar 25, 2023 12:16 PM

Jan 2022
That's tough, Dragon Ball would probably be the only anime to crack my top 10 all time fiction list, it's not really in any order, that's too difficult.

1. The Evil Within (Video Game)
2. Max Payne trilogy (Video Game)
3. The Last of Us 2 (Video Game)
4. Interstellar (Movie)
5. Twin Peaks (TV Show)
6. Avatar TLA (TV Show)
7. The Evil Dead (Movie)
8. Dragon Ball (Anime)
9. Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul (TV Show)
10. The Walking Dead (TV Show)

Ghost in the Shell just misses the list.
Mar 25, 2023 12:36 PM
Jun 2020
1. Overlord [light novel/anime] +0.5
2. Your Name [anime movie] +1
3. Handa-kun [anime] +1
4. Game of Thrones [non-anime tv series] (everything except the ending was good!)
5. Silicon Valley [non-anime tv series] (again why did the ending have to suck so much?)
6. Dragon Ball Z [anime] +1
7. Joken (2019) [non-anime movie]
8. FFF-class Trashhero [manhwa]
9. The Beginning After the End [manhwa/light novel]
10. The Eminence in Shadow [manga/anime] +1

So 50% I guess.
Mar 25, 2023 3:30 PM

Mar 2020
SaMMy17BST said:
Tendo_GM said:

While I agree live action is generally better, anime is real fiction too lol.

Live action has a higher ceiling and a lower floor, and anime is kind of in the middle, no matter what it'll usually be watchable and enjoyable. But it's harder for an anime to reach the heights of a Breaking Bad, or Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, Twin Peaks, Mr Robot. Imo.

Bruh, I posted that a year ago…

I didn’t say anime isn’t fiction, I just used an expression “it’s not real fiction” cause it’s soooo far below from the rest.

And no, I’m not talking about “live action”, I’m talking about all other fiction outside anime, that also includes books, not just films and tv series. I would even go as far as to say that The Horizon manhwa is in my top 20, but it’s mostly just films and books.
Mar 25, 2023 3:33 PM

Jul 2020
For the sake of simplicity I'm not going to include games that have little focus on story. I find it difficult to use those in comparison.

1. Air (Visual Novel. I enjoyed the anime too but that adaptation isn't good enough to make the list on its own)
2. Clannad (Anime/Visual Novel. I liked both versions more or less equally)
3. One Piece (Manga)
4. CrossCode (Video Game)
5. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (Anime/Manga)
6. Redwall (Novels)
7. Gintama (Anime)
8. Chronicles of Narnia (Novels. There's an ongoing manga adaptation though which is pretty cool)
9. Kanon (Anime. The visual novel was good too but I preferred the anime adaptation)
10. The Edge Chronicles (Novels)

Honestly, there's so many honorable mentions that I felt bad leaving out, haha. But in the end, 5/10 are anime/manga, so that's a pretty normal percentage; nothing crazy high or low.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Mar 25, 2023 4:04 PM

Aug 2021
• The Count of Monte Cristo - book

• Peter and Wendy - book

• Labyrinth - movie

• Made in Abyss - anime

• Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken - anime

• Mogeko Castle - game

• Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas - book

• Batman - comics, cartoons, movies and live-action series and game

• kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu - anime

• Dragonhunters - cartoon

Mar 25, 2023 4:07 PM
Mar 2023
Most are anime but some like the Green Mile, Super Smash Bros 4, Deftones, and Sevendust definitely are exeptions. 
Mar 29, 2023 1:27 AM

Dec 2021
For fair competition; Anime should be compared to TV series, Movies should be only compared to Movies due to short running time and Mangas should be compared to Books
However, never lump video game among your top favourite pieces of fiction

Now for the loftiest pieces of visual media, I would say some of my favourite series in my Top 500 are arguably better than the best television series like Sopranos and Breaking Bad (which are in my Top 20) with titles such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
But, when it comes to literature, Manga exudes bravura in writing and trounces both classics and modern literature because Western Literature is so overrated that even my Sora Yori beats them in writing.
HigherLvLThinkerSep 18, 2023 6:12 AM
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Mar 29, 2023 7:17 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
None, sadly. I enjoy reading novels more than watching anime

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Mar 29, 2023 8:43 AM

Nov 2021
up to now:

1. re:zero (anime)
  2. code geass 
  3. fate/zero 
  4. Nier automata (game)
  5. guilty crown
  6. madoka magica
  7. full metal alchemist brotherhood
  8. steins gate
  9. shakugan no shana
  10. akame ga kill

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Mar 29, 2023 12:30 PM
I believe 9 out of 10
The remaining one is a manga btw
Mar 29, 2023 12:47 PM
Feb 2020
probably 6 or 5 of them are from anime as I have some video games and movies that I love as well. But one thing for sure is the number one spot is for my favorite anime Bleach.
Mar 29, 2023 12:54 PM

Oct 2022
Well lets see!!! My list may be funky tho

1.) Regular Show ( Cartoon)
2.) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ( Anime )
3.) Severance (TV Show)
4.) Gone (Book Series)
5.) Breaking Bad ( Tv Show )
6.) The Last of Us (Tv show [Dont have PS4 so havent played the game])
7.) One Piece ( Anime )
8.) Fate/Zero ( Anime )
9.) Anything 40k related ( Mainly stuff about the Death Guard )
10.) My Best Friend was Challenged to Ruin My Life ( Horror story online)

So 4/10
ForgedSteelMar 29, 2023 12:59 PM
REGULAR SHOW TROUNCES ANY ANIME. PEAK FICTION

We protect other species because humans themselves are lonely creatures. We protect the environment because humans themselves don’t want to go extinct. What drives us is simply self-gratification. But I think that’s fine, and that it’s really all there is to it. There’s no point in despising humans by human standards. That’s right. So in the end, it’s hypocritical for us to love Earth without loving ourselves.
Mar 29, 2023 12:58 PM

Oct 2022
Nox0s said:
Only Madoka but it's at the top.

Well... maybe the Haruhi franchise as a whole too but it would probably be 10 at most. Bonus points for endless eight. I'm pretty sentimental about both it and Erased due to when I watched both. Disappearance definitely deserves a slot now that I think about it.

Other than that it's all Western TV dramas and movies. If I still read much I'm sure there would be some novels in there too 😔.

Honestly, with the amount of good Western TV dramas over the past 20 years it's hard to pare it down to even only 10. Movie-wise it's a bit easier for me but still tricky. Donnie Darko would definitely feature. (nice to see a number of other people here mentioning it).

Order isn't really strict here other than PMMM but for the sake of discussion:

1) PMMM
2) Donnie Darko
3) Where Eagles Dare
4) Band of Brothers
5) Rescue Me
6) Happy Accidents
7) Silver Linings Playbook
8) 40k shit in general, hard to pick a specific book.
9) Vertigo
10) Haruhi
11) BBC Jane Austen dramas. NGL I would pay good money to see that shit animated. Or even better - an anime Thomas Hardy novel.

Special mention to Breaking Bad which is amazing but I can't see myself ever rewatching. All my favorites I can watch over and over pretty much.
YOOOOOOOO 40k STUFFF I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT!

MAN ALL OF MORTAIONS BACKSTORY IS PEAK 
REGULAR SHOW TROUNCES ANY ANIME. PEAK FICTION

We protect other species because humans themselves are lonely creatures. We protect the environment because humans themselves don’t want to go extinct. What drives us is simply self-gratification. But I think that’s fine, and that it’s really all there is to it. There’s no point in despising humans by human standards. That’s right. So in the end, it’s hypocritical for us to love Earth without loving ourselves.
Mar 29, 2023 1:05 PM
Dec 2016
AdolZeppeli said:
Tannhauser said:
Books, movies, etc. - everything is allowed. In my case, it seems like there are only two of them are anime.

1. Kiseki/Trails series (video game)
2. Muv-Luv (visual novel)
3. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (anime)
4. Touhou Project (mostly video games for me)
5. Sekiro (video game)
6. Full Metal Daemon: Muramasa (visual novel)
7. G-senjou no Maou (visual novel)
8. Valkyria Chronicles (video game)
9. Grisaia no Kajitsu (visual novel)
10. The iDOLM@STER (video game/anime)

Interested to read your lists guys.

Oof, that's a tough one...

Let's see

1. Trails in the Sky trylogy (Video Game)
2. Ys franchise (Video Game)
3. Chernobyl (TV Miniseries)
4. Highway Blossoms (Visual Novel)
5. The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1 & 2 (Video Game)
6. Dark Souls (Video Game, ranging from DS1, 2, 3 and Elden Ring)
7. Twin Peaks (TV Series)
8. Golden Sun (Video Game)
9. The Dark Crystal (Both Movie and Series)
10. Perfect Blue (Anime Movie)

Hmmmm, I actually thought I would put more anime, but turns out that wasn't the case. Maybe there would be more in a top 20, lol.
I am sorry to be the one who tells you but Chernobyl was not fiction.
Mar 29, 2023 1:34 PM
Mar 2023
Tiosar said:
Books, movies, etc. - everything is allowed. In my case, it seems like there are only two of them are anime.

1. Kiseki/Trails series (video game)
2. Muv-Luv (visual novel)
3. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (anime)
4. Touhou Project (mostly video games for me)
5. Sekiro (video game)
6. Full Metal Daemon: Muramasa (visual novel)
7. G-senjou no Maou (visual novel)
8. Valkyria Chronicles (video game)
9. Grisaia no Kajitsu (visual novel)
10. The iDOLM@STER (video game/anime)

Interested to read your lists guys.

I never thought about it honestly. My top ten games are pure fantasy like the Witcher and Skyrim etc.
Mar 29, 2023 1:34 PM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
i only exclusively consume weeb media
to me, "manga, anime, VN and Videogames" all are under the same title of "anime"
and i find it rather pointless to rank art based on the generally accepted "quality"

that being said
your list is very good👌👌

Mar 29, 2023 4:28 PM

Feb 2016
Ropotion said:
AdolZeppeli said:

Oof, that's a tough one...

Let's see

1. Trails in the Sky trylogy (Video Game)
2. Ys franchise (Video Game)
3. Chernobyl (TV Miniseries)
4. Highway Blossoms (Visual Novel)
5. The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1 & 2 (Video Game)
6. Dark Souls (Video Game, ranging from DS1, 2, 3 and Elden Ring)
7. Twin Peaks (TV Series)
8. Golden Sun (Video Game)
9. The Dark Crystal (Both Movie and Series)
10. Perfect Blue (Anime Movie)

Hmmmm, I actually thought I would put more anime, but turns out that wasn't the case. Maybe there would be more in a top 20, lol.
I am sorry to be the one who tells you but Chernobyl was not fiction.
Fair point, although I included it because as a tv mini series, fiction or not, it was extremely well made.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 29, 2023 4:46 PM
作画

Nov 2019
Tendo_GM said:

you think so? I find fiction underwhelming and I can't get myself to like it, not a single movie I watched was good enough to make me call it "unforgettable", animation is way more immersive
Mar 29, 2023 11:27 PM

Mar 2020
nwssx said:
Tendo_GM said:

you think so? I find fiction underwhelming and I can't get myself to like it, not a single movie I watched was good enough to make me call it "unforgettable", animation is way more immersive

Ok… not your fault that your brain is still stuck in your childhood and it’s not your fault you haven’t watched any real movies or read real books
Mar 30, 2023 12:35 AM
作画

Nov 2019
Tendo_GM said:
nwssx said:

Ok… not your fault that your brain is still stuck in your childhood and it’s not your fault you haven’t watched any real movies or read real books
*your* brain is stuck in your childhood if you don't take opinions for what they are
Mar 30, 2023 1:41 AM

Dec 2019
Not a single one, just not a single one is even close to making it into my top 10 works of fiction. Simply put, no anime nor manga reach the bar that many books and films I've read have set. Top 20 maybe though I'm yet to read some of the more critically acclaimed works this medium has put out-- but given the standards for what's considered good, my hopes aren't very high.
Mar 30, 2023 3:06 AM
May 2014
Let's try to make a list. If I had better taste it would probably be full of novels but I haven't read that many. I won't include video games that I like mostly for the gameplay (most of them) so only narrative focused ones.

Non-Anime:
Twin Peaks (TV Show/Movie)
Mr. Robot (TV Show)
2001 A Space Odyssey (Movie)
Melancholia (Movie)
Persona (Movie)
Mirror (Movie)
Rules of the Game (Movie)
Immortality (Video Game)

Anime:
Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion
Monster
Mar 30, 2023 4:31 AM
Dec 2021
The queens gambit is the only no-anime that makes it into my top 10.

I watched over 50 of IMDb's top 100 movies of all time and most popular shit like brealing bad and goT. They all suck big time.
Nov 11, 2023 4:16 AM

May 2021
1) The Illiad (book)
2) Crime and Punishment (book)
3) Romance of the Three Kingdoms (book)
4) Faust (book)
5) The Divine Comedy (book)
6) 1984 (book)
7) The Karamazov Brothers (book)
8) The Aeneid (book)
9) The Odyssey (book)
10) Gulliver's Travels (book)

This is not exactly my top 10 but just the ones that came first to my mind, I don't think any anime would even appear before the top 40-50 but at least is better than TV series, those willn't enter any top.

PD: I just saw this comment from another user in this topic: "But, when it comes to literature, Manga exudes bravura in writing and trounces both classics and modern literature because Western Literature is so overrated that even my Sora Yori beats them in writing". One of the worst comments made by an user on this Website, impossible to take that guy seriously about anything after that.
-Xenophon-Nov 11, 2023 12:57 PM
Nov 11, 2023 12:18 PM

Jun 2019
Well, I never rank and I dislike the idea of ranking series (primarily TV series, but including OVAs and ONAs as well as they're essentially functionally the same thing on the viewer-end) in combined lists with films. That goes for both anime (I won't rank anime series and anime films in the same list) as well as all other animation and live action. Despite both being watched visual media, the usually radical difference in runtime just makes them come off like fundamentally different formats and watching experiences at their core.

I also, as I mentioned in another recent thread topic, rarely read fiction at all nowadays (like 99%+ of what I read is non-fiction) and only really kept up with video games from the ages of like 8 - 14 or 15, so I also won't include those and just stick to series and films.

For anime series, my Top 10 is:

1.) Inuyasha
2.) Koi Kaze
3.) Haibane Renmei
4.) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai
5.) Kenpuu Denki Berserk
6.) Serial Experiments Lain
7.) Noragami
8.) Shiki
9.) Ergo Proxy
10.) Beatless

And for non-anime series, a list I deliberately and purposefully crafted with the conscious intention of excluding anime as a rule to keep some degree of separation and try not to allow anime to crowd out other choices, my Top 10 is:

1.) Oz
2.) The Twilight Zone (original 1959 - 1964 series)
3.) Six Feet Under
4.) The Sopranos
5.) Game of Thrones (really only seasons 1 - 6 before the collapse of quality; some purists hold up only seasons 1 - 4 on a pedestal, but I still like the fifth and sixth seasons)
6.) Avatar - The Last Airbender
7.) 24
8.) Quantum Leap
9.) Farscape
10.) Carnivale

But I have thought about the notion before, of what it would like if I decided to permit anime in the main other list or were forced to combine the lists, and after going back and forth over it, I've come to the conclusion that my top five anime series would make it and actually hold the top five ranked placements as a whole, and then everything else would move down. So (just in case you can't visualize it from that description), it would look like this:

1.) Inuyasha
2.) Koi Kaze
3.) Haibane Renmei
4.) Higurashi
5.) Kenpuu Denki Berserk
6.) Oz
7.) The Twilight Zone (original iteration)
8.) Six Feet Under
9.) The Sopranos
10.) Game of Thrones

Of course as always when you're compiling lists like these depending on your disposition and level of investment it stings to cut things as part of the shaving down process to make it fit - for me especially series like Lain and Avatar. But I've arrived at the conclusion that this arrangement would be the most accurate representation of my feelings toward them and the individual value and personal significance placed on each.
May 11, 8:05 AM

Mar 2021
I posted on here before, and since then my list has changed a lot so....

1. Evangelion (anime)
2. A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones (novel series/tv series)
3. The Sopranos (TV series)
4. Taxi Driver (1976 movie)
5. Mulholland Drive (movie)
6. Ashita No Joe (anime)
7. Spirited Away (anime)
8. Bloodborne (video game)
9. Silent Hill 2 (video game)
10. Millennium Actress (anime)
May 11, 10:06 AM

Oct 2023
Honestly, if I compare fiction books and movies with anime... Steins Gate might be the only one to come close to my top 10. it would probably be in my top 25 if I am honest.

Top 10+
Mostly classical sci-fi books and movie adaptations, The Matrix, LotR, Doctor Who, Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, 1984, The Giver, V for Vendetta...too many too list and count.
MogKnightMay 11, 10:13 AM
May 11, 10:33 AM

Feb 2011
@MogKnight What's your opinion on the Expanded Universe and Disney's Star Wars?
May 11, 10:41 AM

Oct 2023
Reply to Shizuna
@MogKnight What's your opinion on the Expanded Universe and Disney's Star Wars?
@Shizuna It's gone downhill since Disney took over and gave all of the Star Wars EU authors the middle finger by saying their work is no longer cannon unless they (Disney) wanted to use some or part of their work in future projects.

I was a huge Star Wars nerd up until Disney's takeover. I had many of the EU books and was even in a Star Wars D&D group with some friends.
May 11, 10:49 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to MogKnight
@Shizuna It's gone downhill since Disney took over and gave all of the Star Wars EU authors the middle finger by saying their work is no longer cannon unless they (Disney) wanted to use some or part of their work in future projects.

I was a huge Star Wars nerd up until Disney's takeover. I had many of the EU books and was even in a Star Wars D&D group with some friends.
@MogKnight This seems like a common opinion among the Star Wars fanbase. I used to love playing SW video-games and readings comics as well as some books, but after Disney's takeover I lost interest in even engaging with the stuff I liked.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are there so few if any space sci-fi isekai ?

tchitchouan - Today

19 by traed »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you ever afraid to rewatch an anime?

Akuya - 2 hours ago

8 by perseii »»
17 minutes ago

» Which DIRECTION Is Your Waifu Facing?

BerriesSan - 6 hours ago

14 by Timeline_man »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » how "loved" is your #1 fave character of all time ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Jun 25

51 by Nekosawrus »»
28 minutes ago

» Have you ever watched raw anime/movie because you couldn't wait for its Eng Sub/Dub? Was it enjoyable to do that? :)

Rinrinka - Jun 21

24 by Hikinekomori »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.