Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 6, 2020 12:34 AM
Feb 2020
I really like the Oneshot, but the end really destroyed a lot (like in the original Death Note).
The Shinigami (King) are supernatural beings and shouldn't be enemies of the DN owner. It is clear that the humans will never have an chance against gods.

I like the manga, because there is a battle between the smartest humans like they are playing chess. Their thoughts and tactics to be better then the other.
The new rule destroyed the fight.In footbal you could say, that Team A made the 1:0 and in the 90 and 91 Min the Referee don't want that team A wins and give the B 2 penalties/goals.
The Referee/Shinigami shouln't be the decisive factor who wins in the end (especially if it was unfair).

If the Shinigami King don't want that the humans use the Death Note. He could just make an rule like this.

"All humans, that write in the Death Note or use a aid for it will die directly"

So the Shinigami will be the only one who can write in it and you don't News such a stupid buy/sell rule.
Feb 6, 2020 4:13 AM

Jul 2014
It was pretty good until the ending.

There's no way Minrou could have knew about the new rule the king added at the very last second and Ryuuk just decided to not tell Minrou about it. The rules say he only dies once he receives the money, he could have asked his mom to receive it for him or something.
Devil_SlayerFeb 6, 2020 4:17 AM
Feb 6, 2020 4:29 AM

Jul 2014
evoniee said:
the shinigami always pull some bullshit moves.
remember how L died ? i member.

everything is brain war and interesting world dynamic before shinigamis BS move.

Yeah, fucking shinigami always has to break the game somehow.

Feb 6, 2020 5:56 AM
Feb 2020
This was a huge letdown to me. What initially got me hooked on Death Note was the schemes, mind games and the tension. This One Shot is completely bereft of those elements. Minorou's death was super contrived. I could buy that rule being established before Minorou's time, but having him be the first person to think of selling it is nonsense. I can definitely see some peasants using a Death Note as a way to climb the totem pole. It wasn't all bad though. Minorou's plan was quite interesting and I love the idea of a completely alturistic person getting their hands on a Death Note. I just wish that this story was fleshed out and there was a possibility of Minorou being caught. Also, seeing Near with long hair is...quite something.

5/10
Feb 6, 2020 6:04 AM
Feb 2020
poemofdevil said:
Minoru isn't some angel. He deserved to die.

Why? He improved the lives of millions of people without needing validation and without harming anyone. If he isn't an angel then who is?
Feb 6, 2020 6:24 AM

Jan 2013
poemofdevil said:
Lol how so? He didn't even commit a murder
Feb 6, 2020 10:39 AM

Sep 2012
I can't tell you how glad I am that the duo put together this one shot for February instead of a new chapter of Platinum End. I actually enjoyed this one! It was interesting to see how Near's habits of playing with toys have evolved.

It bothers me that I've seen people trying to compare Light as the old Kira to Minoru as the "new Kira," when he really isn't a Kira at all. Saying that Minoru "beat Near" implies that they were ever in direct competition, which they weren't. Near just had a fascination with the fact that new things were happening related to the Kira case, and because he labeled this new actor as A-Kira, I think a lot of people are latching on to that and considering Minoru a Kira. They even address this in the manga. At worst, he's an international arms dealer, but not a mass murderer, i.e. not a Kira. Trying to compare Light and Minoru to see who is the better Kira is overlooking the fact that they are totally different characters with different motivations and different purposes in the narrative. Just because they both gave Ryuk apples doesn't mean you can compare the two apples to apples. (Okay you can kill me for that last joke. I'm kind of ashamed but not enough to erase it.)
MrLegitimacyFeb 7, 2020 7:18 PM
Feb 6, 2020 12:22 PM

Dec 2016
i appreciate that it didn't take itself seriously and that, more importantly, light's probably up there proud/entertained by tanaka.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Feb 6, 2020 12:43 PM

Mar 2019
ASquigglyLine said:

Why? He improved the lives of millions of people without needing validation and without harming anyone. If he isn't an angel then who is?

Klad said:

He sold off a tool that could kill for his monetary gain. A tool far more powerful than any gun or knife. If he was a good guy he should have destroyed it.
Feb 6, 2020 4:10 PM
Feb 2020
poemofdevil said:
ASquigglyLine said:

Klad said:

He sold off a tool that could kill for his monetary gain. A tool far more powerful than any gun or knife. If he was a good guy he should have destroyed it.

He knew that the only viable contenders would be powerful nations like the USA. Making the auction a public spectacle would ensure that the world would take notice and hold the nation accountable if it were used with impunity.
Feb 6, 2020 7:31 PM
Sep 2017
Overall, good chapter and the MC design look kinda cool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2020 4:53 AM

Nov 2019
I was thinking, Trump could've gotten the death note if he asked someone else to grab the book so he doesn't die.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Feb 7, 2020 5:26 AM
Jan 2018
it was alright, also did matsuda not age?
Feb 7, 2020 7:21 PM

Mar 2013
I like how the ending plays with the idea that whoever tries to benefit or profit from the Death Note is doomed. Like, it implicitly tells the reader that nobody should have that kind or that amount of power in their hands; and if they want it, then there are consequences.
Feb 7, 2020 9:29 PM

Nov 2013
Lmao this kid messed up Japan's economy and likely put the US in some deep financial shit all over a fucking notebook.

I love Death Note.

That new rule is bullshit tho.
Feb 8, 2020 11:38 AM

Oct 2012
lmaono said:
it was alright, also did matsuda not age?

He has Hirohiko Araki's anti-aging power (Jojo reference)

Also that Justin shinigami looks like a Part 5 stand (another Jojo reference)
Feb 8, 2020 2:03 PM

Aug 2019
A shitty story, the point of death note is to use it. The end was also very disappointing, the rule was added only for plot conveniance.
The real successor of Kira should be able to outsmart L AND kill every criminals.
The one-shot would have been better if the authors showed a future where Light won and rules the world : something many fans hoped to see...
Feb 8, 2020 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Had he not died he could have become an exquisite business man.. shame
Feb 10, 2020 12:13 AM

Dec 2019
The author should seriously consider continuing Death Note. Gave me nostalgia. Lmao when Trump appeared in the manga.
V1711Mar 27, 2020 11:25 PM
Feb 10, 2020 3:18 AM

May 2018
The bank part was interesting. Divided it is such a genius idea.
Feb 10, 2020 6:35 AM

Dec 2013
Kayleon said:
A shitty story, the point of death note is to use it. The end was also very disappointing, the rule was added only for plot conveniance.
The real successor of Kira should be able to outsmart L AND kill every criminals.
The one-shot would have been better if the authors showed a future where Light won and rules the world : something many fans hoped to see...

That's a stupid POV, would be completely unrealistic to have another genius who would also go down the retarded path of trying to confront the super detective head on the way Light did and would also be boring and uncreative to have him have the same ideals as Light.
If we want another Death Note, it needs to have a new fresh thematic, not an inferior watered down version of the Light vs L arc.
Feb 10, 2020 10:24 AM

Dec 2012
What a shitty ending!

Feb 10, 2020 1:24 PM

Oct 2012
Also STARKUCKS COFFEE
Feb 11, 2020 10:11 AM

Jun 2012
The story is too ridiculous, but then again it's a one-shot so I don't really care that much for plot holes.

And the MC was so stupid. Could have just used the Death Note to do some crazy stuff and earn money slowly.

If ever there come a time someone will make a part 2 of Death Note, I don't want this MC to show up at all.
Feb 12, 2020 3:54 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Devil_Slayer said:
It was pretty good until the ending.

There's no way Minrou could have knew about the new rule the king added at the very last second and Ryuuk just decided to not tell Minrou about it. The rules say he only dies once he receives the money, he could have asked his mom to receive it for him or something.

Because the kid who gave the US government the most powerful weapon known to mankind deserves fairness.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Feb 12, 2020 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
One of the only good things that happened to me so far in 2020.

Tsugumi Ohba is a genius.
Feb 18, 2020 2:04 AM
Apr 2016
Tanma said:
I was ready to be disappointed but it was enjoyable.
Feel bad for Minoru, get the money, kill no one, beat Near but still lose because of that new rules. Poor guy

he didn't really "beat Near" because Near didn't really give a shit. He could have very easily found him if he put even 0.1% of his efforts into it.
Feb 18, 2020 2:11 AM
Jul 2018
_joey said:
Tanma said:
I was ready to be disappointed but it was enjoyable.
Feel bad for Minoru, get the money, kill no one, beat Near but still lose because of that new rules. Poor guy

he didn't really "beat Near" because Near didn't really give a shit. He could have very easily found him if he put even 0.1% of his efforts into it.

Near couldn't do shit because he didn't have L to plan out everything for him this time
Feb 18, 2020 2:14 AM

Jul 2019
I thought it was an interesting way to use the death note. But there are some problems with his thing, if he gave everyone one billion yen, then wouldn't the economy fall because of inflation? Since everyone is getting the money who has a bank account with that bank, the money will lose value. Problems aside, 8/10 story
Feb 18, 2020 2:14 AM
Apr 2016
Lavaa said:
_joey said:

Near couldn't do shit because he didn't have L to plan out everything for him this time

True, I'm not a fan of Near myself - I wanted Light to win so badly.
Feb 18, 2020 5:55 AM

Dec 2018
Well, this was a very fun read, but for some reason it felt like the L in this one-shot was an impostor.
Feb 26, 2020 7:10 AM
Jul 2018
Now that was a decent read. Minoru is a true utilitarian. The king of death just had to remind them that they're not truly gods.
Feb 28, 2020 6:11 AM
May 2012
Unfair....but that's life
Mar 2, 2020 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Yikes, that was suck.
Mar 6, 2020 5:01 PM

Jan 2017
wait i dont get it lol trump didnt receive the note meaning minoru shouldnt die and trump shouldnt die either?
Mar 15, 2020 8:58 PM
Jun 2017
i finally got around to reading this. i liked the new approach to death note, and that ending got me. 8/10, im hoping for another sequel 10 years down the line.
Mar 24, 2020 7:39 AM
Dec 2017
so its not free anymore on viz. can anybody tell me where can i read it other than viz?
Mar 24, 2020 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Klad said:
poemofdevil said:
Yeah I didn't get it too why he deserved to die.
Apr 18, 2020 12:24 PM

Dec 2014
That's BS, suddenly adding a new rule after Minoru gave the death note up....
Apr 24, 2020 12:09 AM

Mar 2020
This was great until the ending. i guess some things never change lol
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
May 16, 2020 6:01 AM
Jul 2018
tteemu said:
So the dude just caused hyperinflation in his own country and died because of a random bs rule being added to the death note :D
nope. it would actually be brilliant because Japan already has a disinflated economy.
Jun 9, 2020 4:00 PM

May 2015
That was a good read. Got to enjoy the nostalgia of Death Note and see Ryuk being mischievous as always. Wasn't expecting to see Trump in this manga. Minoru came up with a great plan that outsmarted everyone, including the Shinigami King. The King had to go as far as adding a new rule to prevent this type of thing from ever happening again. It sucks that the MC had to die and couldn't enjoy his success, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, he accomplished his mission and helped out his country and fellow citizens so that they can prosper. Overall, I give it an 8/10.
Jul 12, 2020 3:26 PM

Jan 2019
The story was perfect until they killed the best MC of the series with such an ass pull.

Seriously, Light was an asshole and I never found myself rooting for him but Minoru did nothing wrong, he deserved a lot better.
Jul 13, 2020 8:11 AM
Jul 2019
I enjoyed it, until that bullshit ending. I kinda wanna see more of Ryuk messing with other people. Kira was an actual hero, he saved Japan's economy and then died cause King was butthurt.
Aug 15, 2020 11:08 AM

Apr 2016
This one-shot was pretty good but the ending was meh, it felt unnecessary and just came from nowhere.
Dec 1, 2020 10:18 PM

Apr 2020
the extra rule is an asspull
the protagonist is too much of an idealist

Jan 24, 2021 8:15 AM

Oct 2015
Very meticulous execution, but the ending was absolute BS and weighed down the experience a lot for me. The kid made zero mistakes during his plan. He didn't use the Notebook, he didn't take the easy route of manipulating someone's actions to give him money because he didn't want to kill. but was killed-off because of the whims of the shinigami, without being notified because Ryuk had a "Well technically..." moment.

Also, don't think too much about the economic implications of that transaction for Japan. It's on a shōnen magazine, you oughtn't be expecting econ lectures.
Feb 13, 2021 7:05 AM

Jul 2016
Hmm... what if the kid just scammed the US and never told Ryuk to deliver the notebook? Could he have kept the money without dying I wonder.
This was a fun read.
Feb 16, 2021 3:38 AM

May 2015
He didn't die because of the rule, technically the notebook was never sold. It's just Ryuk writing in the book himself.

Overall, it wasn't bad, pretty smart way to gain the most from the Death Note without actually using it. And I liked Near with his long hair.
Jun 3, 2021 7:22 PM
Dec 2017
well that was certainly an interesting addition in the series.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 22, 2022

3 by SirRalphito »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » This "2nd season" wasnt necessary

ItzYaBoiSatan - Feb 9, 2020

21 by Frosty »»
Apr 6, 2023 9:38 PM

» Link for this one shot :)

sweet_hunnie - Jun 20, 2021

1 by removed-user »»
Jul 21, 2021 3:05 AM

» Why can't Ryuk just stole some apples tho?

KevinRin - Jul 21, 2021

0 by KevinRin »»
Jul 21, 2021 12:35 AM

» where to read

FUCKOFFBITCHHOEA - Jun 5, 2021

2 by KursedArcana »»
Jul 9, 2021 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.