Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2020 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ah seeing Ryuk, an apple, and the Death Note book got me nostalgic.

And it looks like other countries such as the U.S. wants to get their hands on that power. Ryuk gets the last laugh out of this one shot and I find it kind of amusing.
Feb 3, 2020 8:06 AM

Feb 2012
Ah yes, just like the main series the main character loses due to something out of their control.

I really enjoyed the one-shot and I wouldn't mind seeing some more Ryuk adventures later on. Props to Shonen Jump for just posting this out for free.
Wind_SrFeb 3, 2020 8:09 AM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Feb 3, 2020 8:42 AM

Sep 2019
A even better initial plot than the original death note.The authors need to bring death note back ,with writing like this they can easily write a successful series again.This one shot was operated very well
Feb 3, 2020 8:45 AM

Jan 2019
This was actually super cool, enjoyed seeing the old characters again. The only thing more dead than the MC is the US economy after that transaction.

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
Feb 3, 2020 8:48 AM

Jan 2015
It was fine a guess. Didn’t really make much sense
Feb 3, 2020 8:52 AM

Mar 2013
I was ready to be disappointed but it was enjoyable.
Feel bad for Minoru, get the money, kill no one, beat Near but still lose because of that new rules. Poor guy
Feb 3, 2020 8:59 AM

Jun 2013
I'm surprised at how good it was. I burst out laughing when I saw Ryuk handing Donald Trump the Death Note.
Feb 3, 2020 9:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yeah, it was surprisingly really good.

I wouldn't mind getting more Death Note in the future if it keeps getting good like that.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 3, 2020 9:10 AM
Dec 2016
Man I feel bad for him he created a genius plan,
I do feel this one shot is better than the previous one with the guy killing old people. That one wasn’t bad per se but it felt good to have a death not user with a maticulate plan again

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Nobody5464Feb 3, 2020 10:45 AM
Feb 3, 2020 9:18 AM

Jul 2016
Had my expectations rock bottom but surprisingly really enjoyed it. It was somehow both very not Death Note and very Death Note at the same time and I liked the direction they took. Kinda heavy-handed but I mean, when has Death Note not been?
Not really dying for more Death Note, but if they wanted to do more one-shots like this I wouldn't mind. Cool approach. Seeing straight up Trump show up was like a surprise hit from a baseball hat but I mean, sure. Why not.
Feb 3, 2020 9:22 AM
Apr 2018
If it is just a one-shot, I guess killing Minoru isn't really bad.

Fuckin loved it btw. Phenomenal. Masterpiece.
Feb 3, 2020 9:34 AM

Jan 2018
This one shot was soooo freaking good!!! They managed to create such a great short story!! I love it!! 🔥🔥🔥
Feb 3, 2020 9:35 AM
Mar 2014
The fact that this comes out after world war 3 thing makes this even hilarious. What a good oneshot.
Feb 3, 2020 9:35 AM

Jul 2013
That's pretty smart of the shinigami king, by the way... imagine if the death note really was on tr*mp's hands lol

but i feel bad for minoru :((((( I actually LOVED him the way that I loved L (and that I never liked Light)

Still, this was a great one-shot!!

Feb 3, 2020 10:20 AM
Feb 2018
I really enjoyed that One shot. I wish that the 2 creators pick up death note again. I would love a sequel series. It was great seeing Ryuk again. The plot for this one shot was good. A smart main character and he came up with an almost perfect plan until he died by something out of his control. 9/10 one shot.
Feb 3, 2020 10:28 AM
Jun 2015
I loved seeing Obata revisit his Death Note style of art!!! Really enjoyed it, makes me curious if him and Ohba have a plan for the story past this one shot.
Feb 3, 2020 11:19 AM

Nov 2015
This is really good compared to the last one. Minoru was very smart about the way he handle things, he won without having using the notebook yet loss because of the new rule.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2020 11:33 AM
Sep 2018
I really didn't expect this chapter to be so good...EPIC!
Feb 3, 2020 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
i wish it couldve been a whole series but it was really good. i just miss death note :^(
Feb 3, 2020 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
That was an entertaining read. Went in with low expectations, only to end up being pleasantly surprised :D
Feb 3, 2020 11:59 AM

Dec 2016
Nobody5464 said:
I do feel this one shot is better than the previous one with the guy killing old people. That one wasn’t bad per se but it felt good to have a death not user with a maticulate plan again

I also consider that
so for me it is plot hole. also I'm salty about the ending.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 3, 2020 12:01 PM

Apr 2019
It was suprisingly good, but they did pull some bullshit near the end. such an interesting concept
Feb 3, 2020 12:04 PM

Aug 2013
Aww, I really hoped for Minoru to get away with it. I hated that the new rule was added, and he didn't even know about it.
Horrorreader91Feb 3, 2020 12:20 PM
Feb 3, 2020 12:12 PM

Mar 2014
Trump with the death note had me laughing so hard

I was kinda skeptical because of Platinum End, but this was a great one-shot. It totally revived my Death Note nostalgia and made me want to read/watch the series again.

As for the ending, I'm sad Minoru had to die, even though he wasn't willing to kill anyone :/ His plan was quite smart so I thought he'd get away with it.

Do you guys think there will be more to the Death Note franchise or not? I think this one-shot was complete on its own yet it could be expanded upon. However it would be hard to pull it off in a way that the MC wouldn't be very much alike to Light, because if they agreed to having the death note they'd also have a similar morality and intelligence.

Feb 3, 2020 12:16 PM

Apr 2013
Daaaaamn that was actually really good. It felt like the first half of Death Note, but if Light was actually a good person at heart. But then again, Minoru might've had that "darkness" and "god complex" smothered from a young age just by learning about Kira and how his actions were unethical. So by using his head, he was able to use the Death Note in a way that caused even the Shinigami King to go "Bruh, we need to do something about this."

I liked it a lot, that was fun.
Feb 3, 2020 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
damn that new kid even force a new rule to the Death Note that made him die lol

Trump value his life more than his country lol nice meme there by the author

if this one shot become popular im sure this will become a full blown manga series

and i like to see that considering the setting is now with internet and mass surveillance so L is gonna have a field day with this
Feb 3, 2020 12:22 PM
May 2017
There's some minor things I have grievences with, like the ending was a bit abrupt with the new rule, it was a bit odd that the MC seemed a bit too fine with giving the power to whoever wanted it despite likely knowing what could happen, and there could've been other hoaxes like this one so people bought it was real a bit too easily. However, I still managed to enjoy most of the auction and seeing everyone go crazy while the detectives just flat out couldn't do anything was an interesting change of pace. Despite the issues mentioned it was still enjoyable enough, at least for a quick one-shot so I couldn't ask for too much more out of this. Give or take about a 7/10
Zephyrius29Feb 3, 2020 2:49 PM

Feb 3, 2020 12:26 PM

Mar 2017
Holy shit, it was so good. Kinda made me want a new Death note manga
Feb 3, 2020 12:31 PM

Jan 2009
question how did the new MC able to plan all of this for 2 years considering the Death Note is out of his hand for those 2 years like did it say that when the Death Note is out of your hands for like days then you will not remember anything anymore? so how can he remember to plan all of this for 2 years without the Death Note in his hand?

EDIT:

err never mind i remember he ask Ryuk how much distance he can be to Ryuk without the Death Note in his hand but the Death Note is in possession of Ryuk so that connects how he did it for 2 years

EDIT:

but oh he did seem to forget about everything though and when Ryuk put the Death Note on his head he suddenly remembers everything so weird
degFeb 3, 2020 12:39 PM
Feb 3, 2020 12:33 PM

Aug 2013
That was so good. Minoru's plan was perfect but he just had to die because of that new rule. Damn the Shinigami king.

Seeing Donald Trump had me laughing.

It's also good to see Ryuk, though I did rewatched the TV series not long ago.

Feb 3, 2020 12:47 PM

Aug 2019
Nobody5464 said:

do you think human world rules apply to the shinigami king?
Feb 3, 2020 12:52 PM
Dec 2016
It was really good. It sure did blow that Minoru had to die. Lol at Trump, I feel like that's how it would've gone. Though I doubt America would've paid that much money.
Feb 3, 2020 12:55 PM

Jan 2009
Trump and his Art of the Deal failed again btw lol nice meme
Feb 3, 2020 1:09 PM

Oct 2013
The ending was kinda bullshit. There was nothing the MC could have predicted about it.
Feb 3, 2020 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
i just realize that apples symbolizes the sayings "bad apples" meaning bad people and "forbidden fruit" meaning forbidden deeds, damn im slow
Feb 3, 2020 1:50 PM

Oct 2018
looks like the king was too impatient to wait before adding the rule. rip minoru.
Feb 3, 2020 1:59 PM
Sep 2007
Everything was good, then the ending happened, which is on par with what you except from him
Hi
Feb 3, 2020 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
Was a pretty great read. I really liked the take here, makes me kinda sad that this wasn't a full fledged series. With how much potenial this franchise has I would love to see more in the future.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 3, 2020 2:14 PM

Aug 2018
It was very fast but it was still great #kiranochikara
Feb 3, 2020 2:40 PM

Aug 2014
deg said:
EDIT:

but oh he did seem to forget about everything though and when Ryuk put the Death Note on his head he suddenly remembers everything so weird

ye, i'm guessing he wanted to wait 2 years, because if he did the auction right away, they could have checked the cctv cameras and see Ryuk and Minoru talking at the park.
Feb 3, 2020 2:50 PM
Feb 2015
a bittersweet read
Feb 3, 2020 3:41 PM

Sep 2019
@Nieznajomy43

Minoru could not have predicted a rule change in the death note ,he literally has little to no intelligence on the shinigami realm and him somehow making that outrageous deduction would scale his iq to the shinigami who have far superior intelligence than all humans (stated by the databooks)...also by how uninterested Minoru was in the death note and the fact that he made sure to clarify with ryuk that he wanted to forget about his partnership with the notebook after the auction and live a normal life ,clearly implies he told ryuk to never come back to him for those reasons ,nothing more.so i mean it’s your subjective view on it at the end of the day ,but that cant objectively be a plot hole.
Feb 3, 2020 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
The ending ruined it for me, what a cheap asspull. On the other hand interesting lead, the bank twist was good.
NapokFeb 3, 2020 4:06 PM
Feb 3, 2020 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
Korhaline said:
deg said:
EDIT:

ye, i'm guessing he wanted to wait 2 years, because if he did the auction right away, they could have checked the cctv cameras and see Ryuk and Minoru talking at the park.

That is completely false. The reason he instructed Ryuk to come back two years later was so that he was old enough to open a savings account at the Yotsuba bank, facilitating the success of his grand plan (granted Ryuk kept his promise which he did).
Feb 3, 2020 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Napok said:
The ending ruined it for me, what a cheap asspull. On the other hand interesting lead, the bank twist was good.

Not really. The reason Ryuk did not tell Minoru about the new rule was because he requested Ryuk to never come back to him ever again. You could say he caused his own downfall just like Light.
Feb 3, 2020 4:31 PM

Dec 2016
@DEBUNKED

In fiction, a plot hole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include things as illogical, unlikely or impossible events

and MC being affected by the rule which didn't exist when he sold book or told to him afterwards can be considered as illogical event. They just wanted reason to kill MC so his ending could fit with Yagami death.
also "Man outsmarting God himself" would be awesome ending.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 3, 2020 4:39 PM

Jan 2013
Really good oneshot. In the original, I was always curious about what was going on in the outside world with the crime rate decreasing and the threat of being killed by Kira of you were a criminal always looking over their heads. I think the authors did say that they would have liked to explore some of those societal issues if they weren't being published in Shonen Jump.This one shot looks like them fulfilling that desire. 8/10
Feb 3, 2020 4:53 PM

Oct 2013
TekFiji said:
Napok said:

Not really. The reason Ryuk did not tell Minoru about the new rule was because he requested Ryuk to never come back to him ever again. You could say he caused his own downfall just like Light.

The Shinigami King added the new rule after the MC sold the death note to Trump. So Ryuk telling him about it after the fact wouldn't matter since he already broke the new rule and there's no way he can undo it.
Feb 3, 2020 6:08 PM

Jul 2009
It was a good story overall. I do agree with the whole asspull at the end.

Anyways, man, what a plan! I think it also shows that they are tons of stories that can still made even after the "Kira" arc. Gonna watch that 3rd Live Action Film :)

Still hoping for a Remake or a new story someday! I feel like they have lots of stories and plans to do. Even a Death Note L ADV-VN Detective game where it showed a Young L and how he became the No.1 Detective of the World. That'd be wild to play :)

Can read it here FREE:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/death-note-special-one-shot

LOL. Death Note, Ryuk and #POWEROFKIRA are trending XD

8/10
Feb 3, 2020 7:33 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Death Note and shitty endings, name a better duo.

I really hated the ending but other than that it was a really good one-shot. I actually enjoyed it more than the main series, the MC was a pretty cool guy and his plan was interesting.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 22, 2022

3 by SirRalphito »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » This "2nd season" wasnt necessary

ItzYaBoiSatan - Feb 9, 2020

21 by Frosty »»
Apr 6, 2023 9:38 PM

» Link for this one shot :)

sweet_hunnie - Jun 20, 2021

1 by removed-user »»
Jul 21, 2021 3:05 AM

» Why can't Ryuk just stole some apples tho?

KevinRin - Jul 21, 2021

0 by KevinRin »»
Jul 21, 2021 12:35 AM

» where to read

FUCKOFFBITCHHOEA - Jun 5, 2021

2 by KursedArcana »»
Jul 9, 2021 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.