Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Apr 2016
The episode is good. This series seems to be pretty good. I’m interested in it.
Jan 5, 2020 2:42 PM

Sep 2018
Damn I've only seen one episode and I'm already completely ready to say this is going to be a candidate for animation of the year and a hard one to beat at that! The scenery had amazing depth, the characters and scenes had incredibly detailed movement and they used multiple kinds of visuals (hand-drawn, fast landscape etc.) to emphasize the atmosphere. Overall this is just the kind of animation I love. The sound design was also great, and the main cast felt really vibrant and unique. A sweet treat for anyone who can appreciate the productional side of anime, looking forward to seeing where they'll go with this one!
Jan 5, 2020 2:48 PM
Dec 2019
Varjosoturi said:
The scenery had amazing depth, the characters and scenes had incredibly detailed movement and they used multiple kinds of visuals (hand-drawn, fast landscape etc.) to emphasize the atmosphere.

This is what I loved the most about the first episode. The show puts its money where its mouth is! They talk about great concept art, and what does the show deliver? Really detailed and great looking surroundings and a city that is very intriguing to look at. They talk about animations, and the characters are animated very energetically.

Not sure where this is headed, but the best first episode of the season I've seen thus far. Really hope this will get more into the Shirobako direction and use the scenes in the girl's fantasy to employ some unique animation techniques.
Jan 5, 2020 2:54 PM

Feb 2019
Is maginificent the way in which this anime portrays the moment when the protagonist understood everything behind the creation of an anime.

I already have a strong candidate for AOTY 2020
RayReynoldsJan 5, 2020 3:17 PM
Jan 5, 2020 2:58 PM
Jul 2016
We in for some anime-anime
Jan 5, 2020 3:04 PM

Mar 2019
First Great Impression/Episode...

Plus a sticky OP.....
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 5, 2020 3:07 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, this was amazing

What a way to begin this decade
Jan 5, 2020 3:07 PM

Jul 2017
To start off the new decade with Masaaki Yuasa, you could never go wrong with his signature directorial style of visuals and aesthetics. And to get an anime that has the FLCL feeling to it, it's hard to replicate (or in more sense, imitate) the classics of time past with modern visuals, but Yuasa? Nothing is impossible for this phenomenal director.

From the get-go, the characters are ecstatic, unique and fun to watch, as expected from a very unique manga with distinct art (that sadly the translations aren't as quick). Pacing is slow, but in turn, rewards multifold with increasing creativity.

A very promising start with the overly expressive OP (the song is alright) and nice ED.
Jan 5, 2020 3:10 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect from this anime but... it sure as hell wasn't that

Studio Ghibli meets... Bakuman? Or something? I don't really know where to place it but it seems to be one of the more abstract anime I've seen in quite some time. If nothing else it's certainly unorthodox so that's a pretty big plus already

Don't know how good it'll be in the long run but at the very least it seems like something with a lot of future potential
Jan 5, 2020 3:13 PM

Feb 2019
Simply put, this is just a really beautiful show. I love the art, animation, plot, direction, story, everything it all feels really fresh. Great way to start the decade with this and ID:Invaded. I like the story it's trying to tell as well, I've never seen Ghibli, but just from screenshots and general synopsis, it kinda gives off that vibe, also reminds me of Mirai. Lots of potential here to be one of those anime we recommend to people who ask "what anime should I watch next" in like 2027.

ED is really tight, loving that, will add to my phone.
Jan 5, 2020 3:24 PM

Nov 2016
mozgow said:
FMmatron said:
Future Boy Conan?.

Yes, Future Boy Conan :)

I haven't seen it yet but might as well start watching it now, LOL :D

Definitely recommended. Similar to this series, a lot of heart was poured into the production, no wonder it served as an example of inspiration here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2020 4:15 PM

Sep 2019
Bro, this thing is exploding with personality and charm, watched this episode with a smile on my face from start to finish, this felt like a breath of fresh air, i often forget anime can also be like this, just be mad fun to watch. I hope to see more of this, for now i give this ep a 5/5

Edit: also that Op bro 😩👌💦
Jan 5, 2020 4:31 PM

Jan 2018
My man Yuasa is a genius.
Jan 5, 2020 4:33 PM
Mar 2016
If I'm being honest here, I only decided to pick this show up because Masaaki Yuasa is directing it, but so far so good. I know this is going to be great because his works never cease to impress me. I know I'm not the only one lol
Jan 5, 2020 4:47 PM

Jul 2017
It didn't quite blow me away, but maybe my expectations were too high. Regardless, it was really good and it has the capacity to do a lot more in coming episodes now that everything is established.
Definitely something I'll keep up with.

7.75/10
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 5, 2020 5:37 PM

Jan 2011
shit thought this was coming out in spring so was quite surprised when i saw this come out today,

seems good very different than the typical shit we get every season

also the art is wild, didn't even know Yuasa was working on this
Jan 5, 2020 5:44 PM

Mar 2018
Pretty good first ep. There's a charm to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Looking forward to the next one
Jan 5, 2020 6:10 PM

Nov 2011
This anime is good and more a shit load of potential. The opening is fire, and I love the animation. It's fresh and new.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 5, 2020 6:10 PM

Oct 2010
those are the ugliest girls i've ever seen in anime (Besides the model) lol. I honestly thought Midori was a boy and I was really confused about Kanamori

anyway, this was a blast the entire time. I didn't even notice it was 25 minutes long!
Jan 5, 2020 6:22 PM

Dec 2016
I thought this was decent.

It took a while to get used to this style of animation but I thought the episode itself was good.

I like the fun that the characters have.

Interesting enough to make me want to watch more.
Jan 5, 2020 6:32 PM

Jul 2016
As well as Midori, I absolutely love the city's chaotic architecture.

Good start overall.
Jan 5, 2020 6:39 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I'm really amazed by the beautiful and detailed scenery. I would love to explore and live in such as a place as well! It was a really entertaining first episode, just like the others said, you can feel the love poured into this. I also haven't watched Conan yet, but I'll definitely try to see if I can find time to watch it out of the seasonals this year!

This episode gave me sort of HisoMaso vibes, and seems like someone else already recommended it in the recommendations section, haha. The story isn't similar at all, but the quirky female characters and their interactions sort of remind of HisoMaso. Eizouken seems like it'll be a lot more fun though!
Jan 5, 2020 6:46 PM

Apr 2018
Hard to be unbiased when it comes to Masaaki Yuasa. I love the man with all my heart and this series starts off with the right foot.

I loved the three girls but mostly Sayaka and her pragmatic way of thinking, unlike the other two more idealistic girls.

The OP reminded me a lot some old Gorillaz videoclips and that's a good thing. And the song is ultra catchy! This might be my anime of the year already LOL, but lets wait for the full season to finish.
Jan 5, 2020 6:55 PM
Jul 2015
If this episode is anything to go by, this anime is going to be amazing
Also, I got some massive Gorillaz vibes from this
Jan 5, 2020 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
Need to remind myself to watch Future Boy Conan some time.
Jan 5, 2020 7:21 PM
Jan 2018
This really makes me want to watch Future Boy Conan. First I'll watch the Ghibli films (I only have 4 left to go!).

Easy 10/10 for me.
Jan 5, 2020 7:21 PM
May 2019
this anime is like appreciation to animators for their creative imagination.
its not mainstream anime i like it.
and dont underestimate the art style, you know MOB Psycho 100 and Pokemon Sun & Moon have bad artstyle but damn the story is damn great.

and what is Boruto doing there lol, she not Boruto VA but when she talk make me always think its Boruto that talking lmao
Jan 5, 2020 7:22 PM

Oct 2017
Perfect, just INCREDIBLE first episode.
Everything from the OP to voice acting to animation to sound design is just OH MY GOSH!

5/5
Jan 5, 2020 7:32 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Shirobako on drugs. Completely blown away, already a strong contender for AotY.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 5, 2020 7:42 PM

Oct 2019
seiyu midori I thought tanaka mayumi, sounded like luffy, apparently not 😂
Jan 5, 2020 7:49 PM
Sep 2018
I [i]know[i] we aren't supposed to mention the manga.
(Because of all of those who trash the adaptation... every fricking time...)

This is brilliant, OK?
This is what I was hoping for, only at the power of 9000! (yes, the quote is wrong...)

I wasn't familiar with the director, had never heard of Future Boy Conan, so that separates me from a bunch of the rest of y'all, clearly.

This is wild, nuts, craziness.
This is jumping back and forth between reality and the world of imagination, with animation methodology as the link.
It is informative, but no one will ever think of it as an "educational" series.
Jan 5, 2020 7:52 PM
Dec 2019
The op rythm is amazing, i love it. The enviroment looks crazy, the buildings in the middle of the water and those labyrinth-like houses/streets, i love them. The characters fit perfectly between them, i want to see how they interact with each other. The story is good tho, anxious about the anime they'll end making!

93/100
Jan 5, 2020 7:57 PM

Nov 2016
Very good First Episode.

Its not common that you see characters inside an Anime give off comments of other Anime similar to what you read in episode discussions online or with your IRL Weeb friends. That was a bit refreshing no gonna lie.

The Main trio seems pretty interesting. Asakusa kind of reminded me of Luffy with her want for adventure at the start but I think that was just me. The other 2 are also interesting, Mostly Mizusaki.

And don't get me started on Science Saru's animation Quality. It felt very dynamic and imaginative. Its is very unique. That is why I like what I have seen from Yuasa.

I wouldn't say it is Anime of the Season yet but I think its the first one I would consider a Runner up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2020 8:29 PM

Feb 2014
Sasuga Science SARU

Jan 5, 2020 8:37 PM

Mar 2009
I already love the tall girl.

Always a good season when there's a new Yuasa anime. Fun show so far. Looks to be a celebration of anime.
Jan 5, 2020 8:38 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, I liked it. Maybe this show delves into animation as an extension of our imagination.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 5, 2020 9:32 PM

Feb 2019
Good start tho, looking forward to more EPs the opening was amazing lol
Jan 5, 2020 10:03 PM

Jun 2019
Show seems alright so far. Not really sure what i like about it yet (definitely not the artwork) but seems like i will probably watch the season through to the end.
Jan 5, 2020 10:39 PM

Oct 2008
this kinds of set-up shows in the first stages tend to be something random but ends-up great...i feel it. Let's see!
5/5.

Jan 5, 2020 10:42 PM

Dec 2015
Intriguing and uniquely crafted. I'm loving the background art, the unobtrusive sound design, the presentation of the imagination (with mouth sound effects and all), and the focus on setting in the narrative; but I'm not really captivated by the story just yet (I enjoy the premise and the direction it's going, just not the execution), I'm disappointed by how the emphasis on "setting" in anime addressed as her inspiration for drawing concept art like that ironically doesn't feel quite realized in the actual anime we are watching despite how quirky they tried to make the city feel, and I really don't like the character designs and animations. The characters feel too...lumpy and wobbly. That's the best I can describe it. I can appreciate their minimalistic design but they don't feel like they fit and almost look superimposed on the world around them almost haphazardly. I thought maybe it could have been a parallel to the characters themselves who are 2 girls combining their character drawings and background drawings to make a new world in anime, but it still feels unnatural. The characters themselves also don't feel at all compelling, at least not YET.

I'll keep watching this obviously, I think it has the potential to be a memorable anime and perhaps even one of the most notable of the year; but I have a bad feeling it's just going to be an artistic showcase that convinces everyone that it's amazing by being unique, creative, and a little quirky in its art, design, and weird characters, but in reality not really containing anything of REAL substance or character. We'll have to see though.
Jan 5, 2020 11:40 PM
Feb 2017
Wow, I'm so glad the opening popped up in my Youtube recommended. What a phenomenal hidden gem. I'm expecting to rate this an 8 at the absolute least once it's over.
Jan 6, 2020 12:00 AM
Jun 2013
Low key anime of the season?
Jan 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Sep 2017
Instant Masterpiece. It is exactly what I subscribe anime for.
Jan 6, 2020 12:12 AM
Jan 2019
This is going to be the surprise anime of the season. Wow was this first episode amazing and I have a feeling that it will only go up from here. I love the characters, OP, the simple story, and the art style is perfect for the show. This will be the best non-sequel (Haikyuu) anime of the season. Mark my words.
Jan 6, 2020 12:19 AM
Oct 2017
Everyone's talking about the OP but why isn't there people talking about the mafumafu ED? >:(
(unless I haven't seen them yet)
Jan 6, 2020 1:24 AM

Apr 2017
Uninteresting series that only I'm watching because Yuasa is behind it. I can't see it getting better, hope Yuasa surprises me and I can show some love for the series but for now it's just an adventure anime with a bit more of creativity.
Jan 6, 2020 1:30 AM

Feb 2018
Just read mangas 1st chapter and the anime improved it so so much. Still if this manga really got some awards, it probably got better!!
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Jan 6, 2020 1:34 AM

Sep 2019
Never thought i'd hear mafu in this anime.

The anime is good and full of creativity. Asakusa has a lot of imagination running around inside of her mind. And it is actually fun to see how she draws everything and make it into a new concept. An adventure indeed. And a good adventure on top of it~

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 6, 2020 1:40 AM

Oct 2018
Well, it was ok. 3/5 for the episode.

Seeing that it already has 8.10 score made me think this is something special, but if I had to rate it now, it would be 6/10 I think.

I'm not calling it overrated or anything, but for me it's definitely not a 8/10 material already. I might watch 1-2 more episodes of it, to see how it turns out.
Jan 6, 2020 2:05 AM

Mar 2008
tingy said:
This episode gave me sort of HisoMaso vibes

HISOMASOOOOOOOO~

It's actually not him (though a lot of people have pointed out the similar-sounding voice), it's by a band called Kami-sama, Boku wa Kizuiteshimatta.

KANLen09 said:
as expected from a very unique manga with distinct art (that sadly the translations aren't as quick)

Working on it! :)
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2020

145 by yungboipaulo »»
May 9, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2020

104 by eevee-trouble »»
May 4, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2020

76 by Kristiwazhere »»
Apr 11, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2020

100 by poguschampus »»
Apr 6, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2020

98 by little_raven »»
Mar 9, 7:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.