Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 5, 2019 6:33 AM

Feb 2009
We need to do everything we can to protect Chika, his lonely dragon sound was so beautiful!

May 5, 2019 6:53 AM

Oct 2017
After the mediocrity of the first 4 episodes, finally the build-up pays up and let us get this wonderful performance.

I actually cried watching this. The flashback, the performance, the transition, everything.
The studio doesn't put too much effort into the instrument part, but the source is just too good that is makes this mediocre production of anime still really touching to watch.

5/5 episode. (Previous 4 episodes are like 3/5 though...)
May 5, 2019 7:21 AM
Apr 2015
Ventus_S said:
After the mediocrity of the first 4 episodes, finally the build-up pays up and let us get this wonderful performance.

I actually cried watching this. The flashback, the performance, the transition, everything.
The studio doesn't put too much effort into the instrument part, but the source is just too good that is makes this mediocre production of anime still really touching to watch.

5/5 episode. (Previous 4 episodes are like 3/5 though...)

Prodection improved
Last scene was orginal and better than manga
May 5, 2019 7:30 AM

Dec 2014
That was a beautiful episode.

Hozuki realizing that she was in the wrong for being so harsh to Kudo before and apologizing to him was great. Lovely moment. <3

This was my first time hearing a Koto performance as well and damn it was amazing. I really do hope they continue with this and keep giving us actual performances. They kinda ended it right at the end, would've loved to see what the crowd thought.
The presentation during the performances was great, I loved how they weaved in all the flashbacks and the retrospect of some characters into the performance itself, made the performance really strong and very moving to watch. I teared up many times.

Can't wait for next week, I really do hope we get a crowd reaction.
May 5, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2010
ziad1419 said:
Kougeru said:
This really confirms just how underrated/underlooked this anime is by most people. My eyes watered even though it was obvious how this was going to play out. Executed very well. Animation is really the only low part of this show. Top tier episode. Really glad this is getting two seasons - the character growth we've seen in just 5 episodes is astonishing, and yet also doesn't feel rushed at all.

Animation improved in this episode
Compare previous eps

I agree, I just meant overall it's not that great and is the shows weakest aspect. I wouldn't say it's BAD, though. Show overall is the biggest surprise of the season to me
May 5, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
Definitely the dark horse show of the season. Literally worth every episode, this gets the better of all of us! Platinum Vision is doing such a tremendous job with this already good manga adaptation, by making the anime adaptation even better, skimping through the lesser-weighted manga segments and replacing them with key moments.

The music performance literally is "shots fired" to everyone who hasn't heard the sounds of the Koto. The vice-principal that got the shock of his life, even the students who didn't care, got their "just desserts".

What a phenomenal episode, on par with Kimetsu no Yaiba's Episode 4 in terms of speech and sound quality.

@Kougeru that's the ticket!
@Ventus_S unfortunately yeap, but it has its moments.

Lelouch0202 said:
That was a beautiful episode.

Hozuki realizing that she was in the wrong for being so harsh to Kudo before and apologizing to him was great. Lovely moment. <3

This was my first time hearing a Koto performance as well and damn it was amazing. I really do hope they continue with this and keep giving us actual performances. They kinda ended it right at the end, would've loved to see what the crowd thought.
The presentation during the performances was great, I loved how they weaved in all the flashbacks and the retrospect of some characters into the performance itself, made the performance really strong and very moving to watch. I teared up many times.

Can't wait for next week, I really do hope we get a crowd reaction.

Definitely word for word.
KANLen09May 5, 2019 9:18 AM
May 5, 2019 9:37 AM

Aug 2010
The animation is average but that music was AMAZING. This episode deserve a full score because of the music alone.

5/5
May 5, 2019 10:27 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's nice to see all the positive comments on this episode :) I remember being really touched by this performance and crying when reading, so good to know the anime has the same effect on people. Personally, I really disliked the flashbacks in during the performance. Not the flashbacks themselves, but the execution. I was really irritated that you could barely hear the performance during the flashbacks, and then to even put another bgm in a flashback during the performance before Chika's solo...idk, it just didn't sit well with me.

While the episode was a bit disappointing for me in terms of directing choices, I'm just happy to see many people enjoying the series ^^
May 5, 2019 10:56 AM
Apr 2015
tingy said:
It's nice to see all the positive comments on this episode :) I remember being really touched by this performance and crying when reading, so good to know the anime has the same effect on people. Personally, I really disliked the flashbacks in during the performance. Not the flashbacks themselves, but the execution. I was really irritated that you could barely hear the performance during the flashbacks, and then to even put another bgm in a flashback during the performance before Chika's solo...idk, it just didn't sit well with me.

While the episode was a bit disappointing for me in terms of directing choices, I'm just happy to see many people enjoying the series ^^

Come on
Ep was so good and better than eps previous
Be positive
May 5, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2016
Easily best episode, the moment between Chika and Houzki, grandmas speech and the performance, it had so much going for it and everything was beautifully presented.

The expression of that scumbag teacher at the end was a little highlight btw 😄

Much looking forward to the feedback.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 5, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode and animation choices. So glad they decided not to go the Piano no Mori route for the fingering. Instead they simplified some of the animation and only focused on the hands in key parts.
May 5, 2019 12:09 PM

Sep 2018
modboy said:
Great episode and animation choices. So glad they decided not to go the Piano no Mori route for the fingering. Instead they simplified some of the animation and only focused on the hands in key parts.

I wasn't a big fan of the CG in Piano no Mori as it made the presentation feel off. I was glad that Kono Oto Tomare did not utilize it.
May 5, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit this episode was brilliant. SHEER BRILLIANCE! I teared up during the performance it was so good. And it synced up well with the backstories.

Satowa knowing about Chika's past, she turned the Moe on lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 5, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2010
Man~! It was so good, I teared up a bit. After watching this episode, I think I can say with confidence that it's my favourite show this season now.

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

May 5, 2019 2:18 PM
Dec 2017

Thanks, I was just searching for this
May 5, 2019 2:50 PM

Oct 2017
VeryLTTP said:
modboy said:

I wasn't a big fan of the CG in Piano no Mori as it made the presentation feel off. I was glad that Kono Oto Tomare did not utilize it.

CG is fine when done right.

Piano no Mori is just bad CG that feel off, that's it...
The performance which it doesn't use CG is even worse it barely even moves.
One of the worst production in terms of quality out there...
May 5, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2008
Disbanded your face Vice-Principal! you ate your own words!
splendid spectacular performance by the Koto club!
Even I was also moved by that performance! and it seems like an expert level piece if you ask me!
5/5.

May 5, 2019 8:07 PM

Apr 2008
The episode I had been waiting for, the performance, and it didn't disappoint!!!! The kotos sounded even more beautiful then I thought!!! Not to mention some damn onion ninja's appearing at Chika's solo, so yeh that's why I couldn't stop the tears from my eyes!
May 5, 2019 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, what a beautiful performance! Best episode so far.
I think Chika is my favourite boy of the season, he's such a nice guy!
I love grandpa Gen as well, it warmed my heart seeing him tearing up after watching his grandson smiling. He reminds me of Shiro from Ao no Exorcist, who's one of my favourite characters ever.
Can't wait for next episode!
May 5, 2019 9:54 PM

May 2014
This anime is so terribly underrated !!! I LOVED this episode. If the show keeps going into this direction this will be top 3 of anime of the season for me! I agree it started off slow and average but this episode right here is what they’ve been building up to and it’s been awesome to watch !
Oscar and Andre deserved better
May 6, 2019 12:46 AM

Mar 2008
This episode was seriously stunning. I hope this series gets more recognition in the future.

Also I love Chika very much.
May 6, 2019 5:26 AM

Feb 2018
That performance though , This is my episode of the week .
7soMay 6, 2019 5:31 AM
May 6, 2019 8:38 AM
Mar 2015
Very powerful music. Chika's music reached his grandfather. Loved the dragons reaching out to the audience at the end The lonely dragon sure sounded plaintive
May 6, 2019 12:10 PM

Feb 2018
Houzuki reaction after hearing the truth about Chika's reasons of joining Koto club and their performance made my day way better.
May 6, 2019 4:27 PM

Oct 2012
That was so beautiful!
May 6, 2019 7:29 PM
Jan 2016
I love the manga and the anime is doing great too and from the preview it seems like they're introducing best girl next episode
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
May 6, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2017
That perf was so beautiful!!! ;_______;
May 7, 2019 2:19 PM

Apr 2015
they did such an amazing job animating/directing/koto performing
i had lowered my expections in the early episodes but damn did they regain my trust??? they captured the magic of koto so well and last few minutes were heartmelting!! my heart was racing at how beautiful they were playing the koto
I WANT MORE OF THIS KIND PERFORMING
May 8, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2013
Hardwork pays off I'm so happy for them.
May 8, 2019 11:49 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
Finally got to listen to the performance and I'm glad they showed the whole thing. That's impressive. Is Kei writing koto music too?
On the side note tho, there was no way all the guys without experience would learn this piece in a month. They must be super talented, all of them.

And Houzuki is still annoying, I fucking hate her. :^)
May 8, 2019 11:30 PM
Sep 2017
Kurosawa-san said:
Finally got to listen to the performance and I'm glad they showed the whole thing. That's impressive. Is Kei writing koto music too?
On the side note tho, there was no way all the guys without experience would learn this piece in a month. They must be super talented, all of them.

Well, you can not just expect a character to suddenly turn her personality 180 degrees since it will be out of place. Character development is supposed to be done slowly but well if you still hate her that's fine. I just hope you won't hate the other girl as the series progress since I think she is one getting the most character development imo. And by the way, the president obviously has experience , Kudou also has little experience so the last sentence "there was no way all the guys without experience would learn this piece in a month" comes off weird.
nachtweissMay 8, 2019 11:38 PM
May 9, 2019 2:21 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
nachtweiss said:
Kurosawa-san said:

Well, you can not just expect a character to suddenly turn her personality 180 degrees since it will be out of place. Character development is supposed to be done slowly but well if you still hate her that's fine. I just hope you won't hate the other girl as the series progress since I think she is one getting the most character development imo. And by the way, the president obviously has experience , Kudou also has little experience so the last sentence "there was no way all the guys without experience would learn this piece in a month" comes off weird.

I was mainly talking about 3 other guys who probably never saw koto prior joining the club, I’m not talking about playing it. Chika did have experience, moreover he clearly has a big talent, so I’m not questioning him.
And yeah, I fully understand the character development bit. She does change through time and it’s cool, but I just personally find her very annoying.
May 9, 2019 6:41 PM
Jun 2015
VeryLTTP said:
ziad1419 said:
Why your score 7 ??

Wasn't as engaged in the first few episodes. The score will likely go higher as the anime continues.

I can feel that. they definitely rushed to this point - we're something like 4 manga volumes in now.

Without spoiling anything, I can't wait for some of the thing I know are coming, especially with more episodes confirmed in the fall
May 10, 2019 6:16 AM
Jan 2019
If there is something I have to say about that presentation, it was ... BEAUTIFUL, SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL !. It also touched my heart and was about to move me to tears, I do not lie when saying this. It was wonderful, it's more than obvious that they managed to reach the hearts of the audience and save the Koto club. Their hard efforts paid off 😀👏. Now if they can be called with right "The Koto club".
I'll say it again ... I love this anime! 😃

"Sound reveals a person's true nature, sound is another language for those who can not communicate well."

"I do not want to lose my precious friends, nor the place to which I belong."

"Find more people you can smile with ... And your hands, do not use them to hurt others, use them to protect something you care about and sustain your happiness."

PS: Grandpa was a great person and Tetsuki is a great friend 😊.
May 10, 2019 2:23 PM

Jun 2015
The episode passed by in two seconds. That was amazing. I wish they had showed the audience reaction before closing the episode. Now I'm left hanging.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 10, 2019 4:19 PM

May 2009
That was beautiful
May 10, 2019 4:29 PM

Dec 2016
Nailed it! They made the audience feel speechless! Splendid!! Amazing performance! :D

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 10, 2019 5:36 PM
Mar 2012
The pocket tissue shipping was sweet with Chika & Hozuki.
I like all the Gramps flashbacks & showing where they came from & good boi Tetsuki.
When they got back in sync the performance became great. Both solos really showed their personality, and crucial for Chika to reveal his real inner self, in a way telling the audience he aint just a delinquent.
May 11, 2019 7:41 AM

Apr 2010
moonmyman said:
VeryLTTP said:

Wasn't as engaged in the first few episodes. The score will likely go higher as the anime continues.

I can feel that. they definitely rushed to this point - we're something like 4 manga volumes in now.

Without spoiling anything, I can't wait for some of the thing I know are coming, especially with more episodes confirmed in the fall

Not really, they did 2 volumes and 1 chapter (1st volume was 3 chapters long, 2nd was 4). It’s far from rushed.

May 13, 2019 5:39 PM

Jul 2015
Holy crap, this episode. I'm so glad they actually played the song, and showed them playing it alongside Chika's flashbacks. That was so damn beautiful, I was starring at the screen like the people in the crowd. That was so damn powerful. My love for the Koto is been strengthened on this day, and I'm glad I gave this anime a shot. I'm gonna need to check out the actual version of this song one day.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
May 14, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 2016
Dang, chills sure ran down my spine... The music was so nice. To be honest though, I was trying hard to enjoy just the music but the narrative and character lines kept on distracting me.

It was a great episode overall.
May 14, 2019 8:54 AM
Jul 2016
DuoraDoll said:
Holy crap, this episode. I'm so glad they actually played the song, and showed them playing it alongside Chika's flashbacks. That was so damn beautiful, I was starring at the screen like the people in the crowd. That was so damn powerful. My love for the Koto is been strengthened on this day, and I'm glad I gave this anime a shot. I'm gonna need to check out the actual version of this song one day.

You can enjoy it in full now, actually. JumpSQ already released the performance video for it 5 years and a month ago. The thing starts at 1:39:

May 15, 2019 12:36 AM

Dec 2016
What an awesome fucking episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 16, 2019 12:38 AM

Aug 2018
I already give this anime a 10/10 all what am looking for an anime is in here series
Btw ep 5 was great af their performance really moves me 👌🏻also hozuki is a waifu material 💕
B O C C H I  S W E E P
May 29, 2019 2:09 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
TheFreycook said:
What an awesome fucking episode

This is all we need to say. It was so great, I was in tears during the performance.

keithmaxx said:
You can enjoy it in full now, actually. JumpSQ already released the performance video for it 5 years and a month ago. The thing starts at 1:39:

And there goes me again..... no, I'm not crying, you are T_T

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 2016
Overdramatic flashbacks aside, the presentation was truly beautiful indeed.

I guess Houzuki's conflict with her mother will be the next arc. Let's see how it will be handled.
Jun 1, 2019 12:31 PM

May 2016
By far this episode was the only one which put a big smile on my stupid face T-T

really great episode felt the impact really well and gotta admit Chika's grandpa is EPIC 5/5
Jun 5, 2019 9:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fudge, this was stunning! Completely blown away, amazing episode!

I didn’t cry but I was totally captivated and struck with awe throughout the performance! Chika’s part kicking in with all the emotions overflowing, glorious stuff! Houzuki swallowing her pride and apologising there was super touching too but got to love that Houzuki x Chika following moment! It’s been such a great development between the duo so far, I was honestly blown away. And then that moment when all of them were in perfect sync with that final burst, jeez Koto is amazing! Lol, the Vice Principal’s grand plan to pummel them down in turn only managed to strengthen their bonds and improve their latent abilities. Chika's Grandfather is the man, by the way!

To be frankly honest, this show has got apparent flaws which you honestly can’t deny but the execution of it nevertheless is brilliant! Loving this so far! Just the ideal romance anime I’ve been looking to watch for a while!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Mar 2017
Best episode so far. Full of great moments.
Satowa apologized to Chika for every hurtful things she said. I love their chemistry.

The performance was beautiful. Chika's solo part was great too. The only reason I am watching this anime is to hear the koto. You can't hear anything in manga after all lol.
Jun 9, 2019 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
Unbelievable! I was moved to tears.

Yes Chika, yes! Your way of playing the koto reached to my heart! What an angel.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2019

160 by therealnagora »»
Jun 14, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

127 by hellokittyluv23 »»
May 24, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

59 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2019

47 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

57 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.