Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 8, 2018 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, I must say I'm very intrigued by this show. Weird? It was for sure but, I can't wait to know what will happen next.
I think it will either be quite good or really bad. It's difficult to have a solid good first impression as the end was pretty weird, but I find that his thoughts and his character are quite intriguing.

Waiting for more :p
Apr 8, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
I honestly have no idea what in the hell is going on, in this one... But, I love all of the psychological discussion. And, it's just weird enough to keep me interested, for the moment. Kind of reminds me of Persona 5 The Animation, from a couple of days ago, to boot. Not bad, at any rate.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Apr 8, 2018 4:19 PM

May 2015
Not too shabby for a first episode. It's unique in a way, and hopefully it won't get worse like the majority of adaptations of games do. Although, the music is pretty nice.
ReverberateApr 8, 2018 4:58 PM

Apr 8, 2018 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
That was trippy as hell.
I like it! Definitely gonna continue watching to find out what the hell is going on.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 8, 2018 5:22 PM
Apr 2015
Anyone who's confused just read the synopsis. I admit I had no clue what was going on until I read it.
Apr 8, 2018 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
the animation reminds me of that Cube anime
Apr 8, 2018 5:31 PM

May 2015
Oooh, a psychology nerd! Liking this anime already.

Well Ritsu got one thing right. What the hell is going on? We got ourselves a normal school scenario at first. Next thing you know, it's a whole bunch of crazy horseshit where an idol starts singing and several students start turning into humanoise and attacking sane students. And then we come across a guy with a giant revolver who just blasts them away.

There's no way that I can judge this anime based on the first episode alone, but I am definitely intrigued to continue it to know what the hell is going on. A buzzy mystery, a flamboyant student representative, a virtual idol that summons speakers for music, and some psychogear to fight the humanoise. As long as the idol sings a different song in every episode, I'm cool with all that. Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 8, 2018 5:55 PM

Dec 2016
MistLiigh said:
Zerity said:
wtf just happened, i am so confused.

I don't think you're supposed to know exactly right now, we'll probably get more detail next episode... But as near as I can tell at this point, seems like they're basically in the Matrix, MC is seeing cracks in the Matrix, and now Mr. Creepy Class Rep (and judging by the ED, some friends of his too) is manipulating the Matrix to gain power and take over. MC, braid girl, pit-fighter/giant revolver dude, glasses food critic, "wait you're not my mom" girl, and "hey I'm reading the same book as him again" girl (possibly others I missed) are going to have to use their own power over the Matrix to fight back. And this μ idol girl and "help me" girl are also going to factor in somehow... That's about all I've got so far.

That was a surprisingly good summary of all of the characters, lmao
Apr 8, 2018 5:55 PM

Jul 2016
It was an... "interesting" episode. It has the potential of being great... but it's walking a thin line and easily trip into mediocrity.

I shall be giving this a few episodes.

Apr 8, 2018 6:10 PM

Dec 2014
Draconix814 said:
I am thoroughly confused.

This is the weirdest Angel Beats/ Persona/ High School of the Dead/ Guilty Crown hybrid I've ever seen.

I think the weirdest point was definitely the philosophy because I can't tell if it's forced, preachy, makes sense or is genius. Also I have no clue on how they're going to build on that philosophy in the rest of the narrative. Also WTF JUST HAPPENED

Could get better, could get worse, could stay the same I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.
7/10 so far. I'm being safe, shut up.

This sums up my thoughts exactly, I just don't know what to think of this after the first episode. XD
Apr 8, 2018 6:42 PM

Dec 2016
So another one of the super-smart average boy put into logically solvable puzzles and situation, and everyone is some form of edgelord. Seems enjoyable enough tho lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 8, 2018 7:03 PM
Jan 2017
Let me be honest about this: I have no idea of what's going on. Is µ some AI trying to take over the world Matrix-style or something? And what's up with Shikishima's constant philosophy? The series has interesting characters and good-looking animation but with a premise just shoved on our faces without clarity, it's off to a mediocre start.
Apr 8, 2018 7:10 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
First ep was pretty much what I was hoping it would be like. Now to see how well the rest of the season pans out.
Apr 8, 2018 7:24 PM

Jun 2013
That was wild. Didn't have any idea what to expect going into this one. So when shit hit the graduation ceremony I was like, "All right, this show has officially jumped off the deep end." But that's not necessarily a bad thing; guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

But yeah, definitely feels like Angel Beats and Guilty Crown had a baby.
Apr 8, 2018 7:42 PM

Aug 2017
Game's got insane writing, hope it carries over well. Bring on the socio-psycho-philosophical maelstrom that this descent into madness takes to heart

This show has the potential to include everything I enjoy in anime, from broken characters, a distorted world, plenty of topics to think about, and a polarizing central figure to drive things forward

Good start, a bit heavy but that's a given with the material, next episode should help lay everything out for us
Apr 8, 2018 7:55 PM
Feb 2016
I'm confused, I'm intrigued, I like the art & music, and it's being adapted from a work by the writer of Persona 2.

Promising. Looking forward to more.
Apr 8, 2018 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
Confused as fuck but...

Sawashiro Chiharu.
Takeuchi Shunsuke.
Aoi Shouta.

Good music.
Good visuals.

Okay. I'm in.
Apr 8, 2018 8:06 PM

Jan 2011
w-what in the world did i watch was clearly meant to confuse to hell out of you

All i know about the Caligula game was that it looked like a poor mans persona and liked the shade gray and pink a lot and then i heard next to nothing about it till it got a anime announced ,so no idea on how the story is but i'm sorta interested in seeing where this goes.

this could end up being really bad hopefully it isn't the case
Apr 8, 2018 8:49 PM
Jul 2014
Keiggard said:
the first impression I had was the same, definitely had steins;gate feel. the art work looked really nice too, I look forward to seeing where it goes.
damn you too? I felt steins;gates vibes a bit too.
Apr 8, 2018 8:51 PM
Jul 2014
BlackstarFallen said:
This was an odd and confusing first episode. Hopefully things are explained in future episodes. This show can be a hit or miss depending on how the story progresses.
confusing? The plot's gonna progress. What do you mean hopefully things are explained? This is the first episode, it's not supposed give you the answers right away.
Apr 8, 2018 10:05 PM

Dec 2016
the MC sits next to the window
Apr 8, 2018 10:31 PM
Nov 2017
Freud was a quack, and MC kid is way too up his own ass. A healthy dose of truck-kun should fix that straight away.

Really, if MC would just STFU even a little, this would be far more enjoyable.
Apr 8, 2018 11:04 PM
Jun 2015
The premise of the series start with a break of the reality, where all of his pregcognitions of the world he lives don't mathc up with normality. So the protagonist with the low amount of knowlegde of psychology begins to remember that something is wrong around it, memories that does not correspond with his daily life. I think is a interesting premise, more if you play before the game.

Maxflores93Apr 9, 2018 3:05 PM
Apr 8, 2018 11:14 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Solid first episode, plenty of hooks and more questions than any type of answer.

Reminds me heavily of persona, especially the atmosphere and the art style. Somewhat persona 3, a bit of the older games too potentially.

Anyway, I look forward to see what will come next.

There have been many series with amazing first episodes, and then the rest has slowly derailed into a mediocre end... Hopefully not the case this time.

Apr 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Jun 2017
Never trusted those μ's girls anyway.

Apr 8, 2018 11:52 PM
Apr 2017
well that was weird. im not sure what i just watched.
Apr 8, 2018 11:53 PM

Dec 2017
i thought at first i understand everything, the MC being a psychology fan and enjoying high school life you know, usual stuff

then i suddenly don’t understand like the 80% of what’s happening. seeing those distorted screen, and jumping from event to event makes me curious, are they in some kind of virtual reality. and their life is kind of manipulated or some sort. µ character seems interesting, but there’s also villain, there are the ones who realized what happening, and then there’s the one who fight, boy i need the second episode.

i hope there will be mind games in this series, not just usual shooting action games, the psychology talk is getting me interested

and too bad all of Shikisima friends seems affected by whatever the hell is happening there, judging in the bridge scene

and also the character style is good, the girl is fine, good stuff and also the song is good, especially the first one.

Apr 9, 2018 12:39 AM

Mar 2009
what in the actual fuck did i just watch
Apr 9, 2018 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
I guess this episode just makes me have to watch the next since this episode feels a bit random
Apr 9, 2018 1:47 AM

Jul 2016
even though I haven't watch or play any Persona game but I still feel some Persona vibes and I LOVE IT
Apr 9, 2018 2:02 AM

Jun 2016
I'm as confused as the main character. What the fuck is going on in this anime? So, an idol named u is controlling the people and transforming them into a monster? Hehe. I'm so fucking confused.

And what's up with the random Pop Team Epic reference? Hahahaha. I'm so fucking lost in this anime, but I hope I'll be able to catch up on it. Lmfao.

3/5.

P.S. That last song, though. Prolly the ED or OP. Not sure.
P.P.S. Okay, it's the OP? Haha. I love the song.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Apr 9, 2018 2:07 AM

Nov 2016
is this going to turn out with the MC fighting the creator of the AI cause the creator corrupted her program or something
Apr 9, 2018 2:36 AM
Apr 2017
Well... That's a lot of confusion...
No high expectation, but would continue until it became train wreck
Apr 9, 2018 4:07 AM

Sep 2016
I played the game for a bit and stopped because of awful gameplay, this 1st episode is really solid, similar to persona but better.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 9, 2018 5:38 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
The entire episode, I couldn't stop thinking it was either a direct portrayal of or a metaphor for schizophrenia from the perspective of a teen MC who has his first breakdown of reality and doesn't yet realize why his world no longer makes sense. The psychological tropes in this episode only reinforced that feeling for me. I doubt that the story is going to be nearly so clear-cut, but I'm still very much looking forward to the next episode.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Apr 9, 2018 5:46 AM
Apr 2016
I really appreciate the philosophical and cognitive aspeks of the series. It seems to follow in the steps of latest mind games of Kado:The Right Answer. Which is very welcome, self-reflecting not upon self, but open world as a whole is much needed today. Proliferating it is desirable.

HeroSoulReaperX said:
is this going to turn out with the MC fighting the creator of the AI cause the creator corrupted her program or something
Could be, but what is considered corruption to begin with. As the summary says, she was created as an A.I. and later gained sentience. Thus, could the creation process itself be considered "corruption", as A.I. is reacting to the real world from which she takes the people? Is she "evil" by herself, or by connection to human reality? As I see this, she thought forcing others into illusionary world is the right answer to her main commandment - "benefit of humanity". Thus it would end somewhere along the lines of Main Character (whose name I promise to learn by the next episode) attempts to save her from herself and that fake world, and either succeeds or she annihilates herself out of guilt (fake death/happy ever after). The usual stuff.
Re:formed
Apr 9, 2018 5:49 AM
Apr 2016
kyoudai said:
The entire episode, I couldn't stop thinking it was either a direct portrayal of or a metaphor for schizophrenia from the perspective of a teen MC who has his first breakdown of reality and doesn't yet realize why his world no longer makes sense. The psychological tropes in this episode only reinforced that feeling for me. I doubt that the story is going to be nearly so clear-cut, but I'm still very much looking forward to the next episode.

It did once occur to me:"What if there was a series, when the crap was happening all over, everyone is fake and wrong, and the stoic protagonist would try to oppose it, but the series concludes with him falling into insanity and revelation, that it was just his mind going mad all along." That would be real dark, and there is already Agent Paranoia, so I guess we should leave it at it.
Apr 9, 2018 6:04 AM
Jun 2017
this is what i can say while watching this one- INTERESTING!!! the main character sure thinks deep here, i mean he loves saying some psychology stuff here and then here comes the story flow...

for me it looks like u is the one affecting the people who are listening to her songs and thus transforming into MOnster like or becoming agitated and changes personality in an instant...

LIKE THE SONGS USED HERE (esp the OP and songs used in graduation),and the ANIMATION is beautiful!!!!

Gonna watch this one for sure!!!
Apr 9, 2018 6:15 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Daniel_Naumov said:
It did once occur to me:"What if there was a series, when the crap was happening all over, everyone is fake and wrong, and the stoic protagonist would try to oppose it, but the series concludes with him falling into insanity and revelation, that it was just his mind going mad all along." That would be real dark, and there is already Agent Paranoia, so I guess we should leave it at it.

Didn't ChäoS;HEAd have a similar theme? I haven't seen it (yet), only read the synopsis. There are probably quite a lot, actually, with the protag questioning reality vs hallucination, dream, illusion, etc. And, yeah, it's definitely dark.
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
Apr 9, 2018 6:30 AM
Apr 2016
kyoudai said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Didn't ChäoS;HEAd have a similar theme? I haven't seen it (yet), only read the synopsis. There are probably quite a lot, actually, with the protag questioning reality vs hallucination, dream, illusion, etc. And, yeah, it's definitely dark.

Outside saying that it sucks hard, no, it did not, since there were actual villains who started the whole insanity, and others who were influencing the understanding of reality of the main protagonist. It is dark, but it is so bad (which I believe to be objective) that the darkest thing you get is the time you wasted on that glorified violence psychedelia.
Apr 9, 2018 7:26 AM

Oct 2015
awesome episode !
Apr 9, 2018 8:03 AM
May 2009
Caligula episode one is disappointing. The first eleven minutes are great. After that, it descends quickly.
Apr 9, 2018 8:06 AM

Dec 2010
Ecchi-wow-wa said:
Anyone who's confused just read the synopsis. I admit I had no clue what was going on until I read it.

This!I also had no idea what the hell was going on so I was going to re-watch the episode thinking I must of miss something but ended up reading the synopsis instead and I was like oh okay now I get it lol.
Apr 9, 2018 8:31 AM
Aug 2017
Unleashed_SM said:
Keiggard said:
the first impression I had was the same, definitely had steins;gate feel. the art work looked really nice too, I look forward to seeing where it goes.
damn you too? I felt steins;gates vibes a bit too.

Yea, I really did enjoy it though. I have never played the game, I actually bought the vita game after watching the screaning at Sakura Con so I'm not sure how much prior knowledge is needed.
Apr 9, 2018 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
whippedmilki said:
Maybe I'm just a Psychology nerd, but I'm loving this so far. It's somewhat of a generic pretense in my opinion, but with some interesting flavors mixed in. I'm going to stick with this one for 3 episodes as usual but I have faith in this show. Hopefully it doesn't prove me wrong.

Also the songs are absolutely solid.

Im with you, this show is a bit nuts but i thought the themes were handled in a clever way and honestly i had fun!

Numens said:
I had great expectations for this show and I have to say it did not let me down. The most unique first episode of this season for me, and I loved it. Visually, it's amazing, and though the characters can seem rather bland still, I'm hoping that changes soon.

I expected nothing but was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes I think its kinda nice to have a wild mess to begin with facts unraveling as we go. The themes are pretty fun too
Apr 9, 2018 10:16 AM
Mar 2016
Ya know I almost wanna drop this, until the climax appears and THIS IS WICKED!!!!!!!
Apr 9, 2018 10:43 AM

Sep 2013
Pretty good, mc is smart just like me.
The music is nice too.
Apr 9, 2018 11:06 AM
Apr 2016
ichii_1 said:
Pretty good, mc is smart just like me.

Don't disgrace him like that OK?
Apr 9, 2018 11:07 AM
Oct 2015
Man, I don't know if it was intended (probably) but this first episode leave me just as confused as the protagonist.
The art looked a LOT like Persona 5, especially the protagonist whose design is especially close to Joker's.
But yeah, even though it left me confused af, I have a good feeling about this show and I'm probably going to keep watching it

Oh and as someone in the literary course, it was nice to see Freud and Aristote mentioned by the protag
Apr 9, 2018 11:31 AM
Dec 2017
The whole episode was like an extreme fever dream lol.

Doesn't really remind me of the Science Adventure series tho, and artstyle a bit like Persona?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

8 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.