Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 23, 2018 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
Now that is one scary mom even the dad is scared
Jan 23, 2018 6:20 PM

Mar 2016
Tamaki's Goal and Philosophy is the reason why I love this anime, I'm glad that I was able to hear her reason to go to Antarctica...

I didn't see any NGNL advertisement in this episode.
Jan 23, 2018 6:58 PM

Dec 2014
"This is not a weapon."

Neither are stationery. Go tell that to Senjougahara.
I need sleep.
Jan 23, 2018 7:28 PM

Jun 2017
NanaPirro said:
during the training outside I thought they would meet Rin and Nadeshiko
otherwise Kimari's family scares

that would be so epic if it happen lol
Jan 23, 2018 7:39 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. The girls finally start their training to prepare for Antartica. Some laughs to be had with moments like Mari wondering if her mother knew she was planning to go without telling her in the first place and eventually getting found out and attacked to things like when the girls were in their tent, telling one another to sleep and all that.

That sunrise towards the end was pretty. Very much looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 23, 2018 7:58 PM
Mar 2012
youseiki said:
Tamaki's Goal and Philosophy is the reason why I love this anime, I'm glad that I was able to hear her reason to go to Antarctica...

I did! At 12 seconds.
Lol the scary mom sequence made carrot more suspicious than ever. Mari's instense reactions even to bath salts really sell it.
Just the right amount of educational parts. I can hope for a yurucamp crossover...
Waiting for more Shirase mother mystery from captain Gin.
Jan 23, 2018 8:02 PM

Mar 2016
gophercg said:

I did! At 12 seconds.

ah fuck, I didn't notice it, the shameless advertisement appears again, oh well they were directed by the same director.
Jan 23, 2018 8:49 PM

Sep 2016
Smudy said:
The bond these four share already is very heartwarming, they laugh about the most simple things, it's great.

That whole mom and daughter sequence in the beginning was hilarious XD

The senpai's give off the impression that Shirase's mom is not here anymore.

I agree im finally starting to warm up to these girls after a few eps glad i am now, was a lovely episode that part with mari's mom and dad was funny af
Facta Non Verba
Jan 23, 2018 9:13 PM

Jul 2014
Great slice of life moments there. The progression is going pretty well too and it doesn't feel like a drag or does it have any hiccups. Can't wait the adventure to get underway!
Jan 23, 2018 9:31 PM

Aug 2012
-this whole opening scene just screams "someone's gonna die"
-also just wanna say all of the episode title cards are pretty cool
-mari gear solid
-also that entire kitchen scene was pretty great
-i thought that was a fuckin knife
-also if this scene wasn't ominous as fuck jesus christ it's got the horror atmosphere
-that transition was pretty great
-huh, four days in antarctica one for each girl
-hey you girls i got some antarctica in this van
-yeah this whole thing seems SUPER sketchy now, if they're that short on money how are they gonna do all the stuff in the OP
-hell yeah antarctica
-the thing about "you must survive and return alive" is SUPER SUPER sketchy
-yo hair down hinata is actually pretty cute
-also the stuff with gin felt super similar to a certain part of made in abyss
-shirase's gonna be the first main to bite the dust, isn't she
-wow this show has actual exploration unlike a certain other show
-sounds like mari wants to make antarctica great again
-yeah yuzuki just seems like a ticking time bomb
-dang, looks like shirase knew from the beginning
-after that little speech mari gave at the end, there is absolutely no way all of them are returning alive
-also something felt very off about that stinger

So my opinion of this show has been steadily improving as more episodes get released. Episode 2 was really the only substandard episode so far, but it's been improving, especially with the introduction of all that orienteering stuff. If there is one thing that I absolutely hated about Made in Abyss, it was the relative absence of exploration. People who described it as Etrian Odyssey the anime could not have been more wrong. Unlike that disaster of a show, it seems like this one will actually deliver on the expectations I have of it. It's already got cute girls doing exploration-related stuff, and I don't see that stuff dropping off when they're actually in Antarctica. The biggest unfulfilled expectation of this show to me right now is everything going absolutely haywire, but from that one scene between Mari and her mom, we already know that this show can pull off a horror atmosphere very easily. Combine that with all the ominous foreshadowing, and it seems almost guaranteed to happen at this point. On the other hand, I don't really think I would be too put off by it not happening at this point, either.

So enough about what may or may not be in this episode, this episode was pretty fun in and of itself, which is more in line with the scenes displayed in the OP. The scene where Mari has to formally ask her mom to give her permission to go on the expedition was really well done in terms of atmosphere and comedic timing. Bonus points for the ladle totally looking like a knife until Mari's mom whips it out from behind her, and especially the cut to the next scene in the middle of Mari's screaming. The orienteering exercise was pretty fun as well, and I'm certainly looking forward to more of that stuff in the land way down under. The little lectures that came with that exercise were also pretty nice since it's all educational and stuff.

The characters themselves are also growing on me. In particular, the scene that seemed to suggest Shirase knew her mom was dead this entire time (although I might have interpreted wrong) makes her character seem a ton more interesting to me, and the rest of the main cast ain't too bad either. It would seem that the only time that I haven't liked members of the main cast was in episode 2 (with pretty much everyone present) or Shirase from the very early episodes. Which would make it a real dang shame if all the foreshadowing actually had substance to it and things head south in the second half of the show.

Pretty decent so far, and it has a lot of potential from here on out.
Jan 23, 2018 9:32 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That moment when Kimari's father stared into the eyes of Kimari's mom xD and locked the door xD

I'm liking the bonding moments between the group. The SoL is very good here, a touch of comedy but nothing to where it's taking away from other elements.
I feel a bit bad for Kimari's friend, she just sort of ditched her. Tbh Kimari feels closer to them than her friend.

Jan 23, 2018 10:12 PM

Feb 2014
linua said:
NanaPirro said:
during the training outside I thought they would meet Rin and Nadeshiko
otherwise Kimari's family scares

that would be so epic if it happen lol

Would definitely like to see that crossover happening XD
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 23, 2018 10:31 PM
Oct 2017
I couldn't say anymore. With the very highest level quality like this, 24 minutes feels like a few minutes 😂😂

Btw, what "shut your mouth" words Yuzuki said?? 'Urukamishitekudasai'?
ValeYellow10thJan 23, 2018 10:40 PM
Jan 23, 2018 11:03 PM

Nov 2013
Kimari's mom is scary.
Imouto and father immediately abandoned Kimari lol. Glad that they start training, gives a bit sense of realism there. Watching the sunrise reminded me of Yama no Susume or Yuru Camp. Judging from post ED scene, seems we'll get Kimari and Megumi drama next episode.

ValeYellow10th said:
Btw, what "shut your mouth" words Yuzuki said?? 'Urukamishitekudasai'?
She said Urukanishitekudasai. Imo it seems at first she wanted to say 'Urusai!' which means 'shut up!' or 'you're too loud!'. But then she realized their friends are older so she wanted to use polite languange 'shizukanishite kudasai', 'please keep your voice down/please be quiet'. She messed up by mixing the two phrases that's why Kimari and Hinata laughed.
Jan 24, 2018 12:03 AM

Jul 2015
It's real good but i wish they'd get to the real adventure sooner than later. It's only 13 episodes...
Jan 24, 2018 12:20 AM

May 2015
Mari's dad is the best dad of the season. ^_^

"Which eye do I use?" LOL!

Gotta hand it to more of the animation this episode. Mari jumping up and making Hinata bite her tongue/clack her teeth looked like it really hurt. Also, Hinata slamming Mari down "Less talk, more sleep!"

We're Yama no Susume now.
TarotistJan 24, 2018 12:24 AM
Jan 24, 2018 1:29 AM

Mar 2014
Another lovely episode.
Jan 24, 2018 3:59 AM

Dec 2015
Lmao the animation and direction for the scene with Mari and her mom + dad was PERFECT!! It's crazy how they blend Mari's personality into the humour of the series, she really makes an amazing MC.

What I also love is how the girls aren't all the same age, they clearly put a lot of thought into the characters which alongside outlining their training makes the series a lot more unique and less generic. The ED during the sunrise scene was a nice bonus before the actual ED.

Definitely is AOTS for me, bumping to 9/10. A real gem of a series.
~
Jan 24, 2018 4:44 AM

Nov 2014
HereticHunter said:
aikaflip said:

That lost shot was gorgeous. Some of the best art of the season right here.

5/5

Wow, nice one!, you used 2 pics right there right?

Thanks! And yes, maybe 3 pics total. Pans can be stitched together with Microsoft ICE or Hugin
Jan 24, 2018 4:52 AM

May 2015
Mich666 said:
That horror segment with her mom was really unnecessary, I'm getting sick of this baseless comedy. Other than that it wasn't bad episode but by now Yuru camp is probably better.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that they may actually never leave to Antarctica in the end. I mean, there are still many things than needs to be resolved. And they seriously need to stop dancing around the fate of her mom - they should clearly say whether she's dead or not. I mean, that's probably the first question any character would ask them yet the plot of this anime denies us of this knowledge.

If she's alive - why did they even left her there (for several years??) And if not they need to spell the reason before their planned expedition (that gets probably cancelled because of funding as a twist). So they won't go to Antarctica but they would have their friendship memories... even though this would be pretty hard trolling from the creators and I don't know if I like it.

Why do you continue to nitpick the comedy and call it unnecessary?

And you continue to think that going to Antarctica is such an easy thing to do. They've already gone into extensive detail about how this is going to be a hard journey, and that even when they do leave Japan, they aren't going straight there. It's obvious that they WILL get there before the end of the show. They're just giving it the proper build-up that it needs. I don't know why you expected them to be there by episode 2.

Jan 24, 2018 5:20 AM

Apr 2012
Kimari VS her mom.
Mom 1, Kimari 0. I laughed out loud when the father opened the door, realized what was happening, then closed the door again.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 24, 2018 5:31 AM

Jul 2017
Another great episode. The emotional scenes of this show are really moving. Not to mention the comedy bits that are charming and hilarious (I cried my eyes out laughing at the dad scene). Definitely a standout show this season.
Jan 24, 2018 7:05 AM

Jul 2014
That family moment killed me "Im sorry my daughter"
Quite the training arc they had, hope we get to antartica soon.
Art was amazing! I have a bad feeling about this getting a drama/tragic genre near the end.
Jan 24, 2018 8:03 AM
Nov 2016
All of us know that there's no way that Shirase's mom is alive but I am still hoping beyond hope. That's how gpod the show is.

The pacing has picked up and I feel like the ship will sail soon. Mari is just a ball of sunshine (for the most part.) We also learned the history between Shirase's mom and the Expedition captain
Jan 24, 2018 8:52 AM

Jun 2016
Kimari's sister backing away and closing the kitchen door once the mom mentioned Antarctica and then the dad closing the door when Mari ran towards it. This family is fun.

I like how the show helps get us just as excited as the rest of the girls, but then you see Megumi and damn. I want Kimari to talk to her, because Megumi needs some love too.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 24, 2018 11:06 AM
Apr 2017
this is a really pleasant surprise. at first I thought this show is going ti be bad but as of now it's one of my favorite new shows of the seasons. first ep was weak but it really starts to be good. so far I really liked it.
Jan 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Nov 2007
I just want to say, that I love this anime so much.
Jan 24, 2018 1:16 PM

Jun 2017
Another amazing episode, that family scene was hilarious.
Jan 24, 2018 2:35 PM

Mar 2011
Very good episode! The family sketch was pretty funny...but...seeing Mari's friend all alone made me really sad :(
Jan 24, 2018 6:29 PM

Dec 2016
Cute girls doing... productive things and actually learning!? Woahhhh
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Jun 2017
I was thinking this show was actually closer to an 8/10, but after watching k-on i realized the animation on this show is actually really barebones in comparison. It's still not a bad show, but it simply isn't on the same level so I'd say its closer to a 7/10.
Jan 25, 2018 3:17 AM
Apr 2017
I think Megumi felt lonely...
As her friend Mari actually have a plan to go to the Antarctica while she is not, plus made friends.
Not long ago Mari doesn't even dare to skip classes or travel to a place far from home, but just after couple weeks, Mari is going to Antar for real which is far from most considered achievable dreams by high school students...
Jan 25, 2018 3:22 AM
Apr 2017
Mich666 said:
they should clearly say whether she's dead or not.

It's very obvious that she is MIA which would be consider as dead after a period of time especially in Antartica
Your doubt is pretty....

P.S. they dance around her mom is because that's what make her so determined to go to Antar... It's what make this show
Jan 25, 2018 4:58 AM

Oct 2008
This episode tackled about advanced expedition stuff like, flag pole positioning, direction using compass, making use of coordinates, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned, calculating your altitude based on sea level...(garmin) has that! lolz!
4/5.

Jan 25, 2018 11:48 AM

Jul 2015
Was wondering how she was going to explain things to her fam. WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. God damn this anime is going strong, I personally have not yet found a flaw to this at all.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 26, 2018 6:49 AM

Nov 2011
I've been wondering what Megumi's role in this anime would be for some time now. Like is she just Mari's friend or more? And after that ending I would assume she is slightly more important to the story.

Mari's mother had me crying though lol. "Put the weapon down!" "It's a cooking utensil" So funny.

Hinata waking up real quick and screaming made me laugh as well. Along with "Please shut talking now" When I first read that I though "Um...subs?" but nope it was real lol.

Really good episode though. I like the balance between the story focusing on Mari wanting to break the mold and Shirase trying to find her mother.

Side note: Shirase has to know that her mother is dead. I think that she just wants to at least find her resting place. I also think she might find her cellphone with her text messages on them. That would suck.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 26, 2018 6:40 PM
Jan 2018
MonoJuMal said:
Kimari's sister backing away and closing the kitchen door once the mom mentioned Antarctica and then the dad closing the door when Mari ran towards it

A lot of posters here seem to have missed that little bit where the little sister, realizing the situation, just quietly closes the door with a "I'll always remember you big sister" finality.

That's not a mom to trifle with. It seems Kimari was lucky to get through it with her skin intact.

For me the biggest bit of true-to-life realism in the episode is they showed what happens when you stuff four girls that age into a tent. You invariably get a giggle-fest. At least I have never seen it not happen.
Jan 26, 2018 7:10 PM

Jul 2016
Kimari family looks fun to watch, Scary mom, scared Dad.

Knowledge and training stuffs, this show took realistic approach before going to expedition.

The sunrise scene was so uplifting moment. The bond of the four is getting stronger, can't wait for their antartica moments
Jan 26, 2018 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
hahahah this episode was so funny xD Especially Mari trying to run from her mom and the appearance of her dad and the moment he closes the door and says "sorry my daughter", made the moment x1000 funnier ahaha
Those landscapes! Can't wait to see them traveling together. And the mystery of what really happened to her mother getting uncovered.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 27, 2018 1:00 AM

Feb 2014
I can relate to Mari when it comes to getting a signature to something that wasn't discussed with her parents at first. Not only was her mother pretty scary, but her father knew his place and retreated from the front door. That was some pure comedy gold right there. XD

Although the girls have only started their training, the sense of adventure is very strong as they get used to flag marking and using the compass effectively, as well as sleeping in a tent at night. The morning sunrise scenery in the mountains was a very pretty sight to behold. Looks like Yuru Camp has a challenger on the beautiful scenery front now! =D

Although one of the commanders knew Shirase's mother, she's keeping her lips tight when it comes to what happened back in the past. I do wonder if us viewers will ever know if Shirase's mother is alive and still at Antarctica, or dead. D=

Either way, this was another exciting episode. =)
Jan 27, 2018 7:14 AM
Oct 2016
Meta_Yoshi said:
I can relate to Mari when it comes to getting a signature to something that wasn't discussed with her parents at first. Not only was her mother pretty scary, but her father knew his place and retreated from the front door. That was some pure comedy gold right there. XD

Although the girls have only started their training, the sense of adventure is very strong as they get used to flag marking and using the compass effectively, as well as sleeping in a tent at night. The morning sunrise scenery in the mountains was a very pretty sight to behold. Looks like Yuru Camp has a challenger on the beautiful scenery front now! =D

Although one of the commanders knew Shirase's mother, she's keeping her lips tight when it comes to what happened back in the past. I do wonder if us viewers will ever know if Shirase's mother is alive and still at Antarctica, or dead. D=

Either way, this was another exciting episode. =)

shirase mother probably dead or missing in action, you could see subtle hint from this episode, in shirase's flashback, we could see gin paying respect at her family altar, which is indicating a deceased person
Jan 27, 2018 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
This show is such a hidden gem. The director has a talent for making likable characters.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 27, 2018 1:55 PM

Sep 2017
Blue_Pie_Ninja said:
BluePikmin11 said:
I have been thinking A Place Further Than The Universe lately. After watching the fourth episode, it has come to my attention that the story could become as grim-dark as Made in Abyss. In some ways, Antarctica is like the Abyss. As cute and innocent this anime is, I can see a surprise direction like this happening. Just imagining it gets me more excited about this anime's story, do you think such direction will happen?

I doubt that will happen, this seems to be more of a 'feel-good' anime than Made in Abyss and it doesn't have the same rating that suggest that it will turn dark.

Madoka Magica has the same rating as this, so a dark twist is definitely possible, though more of a purely dramatic one
Jan 28, 2018 4:55 AM

Oct 2010
I loved how the Dad didnt want to mess with Mari and her mom's "quarrel" in the first half of the episode xD

As a guy who mainly watches SoL, comedy, etc this series could be the AotS. Unless Yuru Camp manages to impress me more with their relaxing episodes.
Jan 28, 2018 9:12 AM
Jul 2017
that scientist's van was not too bad. fwiw on science/engineering projects you never spend funding on vehicles - either you use your own or rent. (unless it's a specialized vehicle you need.)
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jan 28, 2018 3:09 PM

Feb 2014
Is it just me or does it seem like Megumi, the glasses girl, seems like she feels lonely, jealous, or left out that Mari is off doing her thing but she's left doing nothing? The ending especially made it seem like she that might be feeling that way.
Jan 29, 2018 5:57 AM
Oct 2016
LoomyTheBrew said:
Is it just me or does it seem like Megumi, the glasses girl, seems like she feels lonely, jealous, or left out that Mari is off doing her thing but she's left doing nothing? The ending especially made it seem like she that might be feeling that way.

probably yes, you can notice that her reactions are different from first episode..
in 1st episode, she's really supportive, she even laugh and feel happy at kimari's mt fuji photo that she get
yet in 4th episode, her reaction become a bit discouraging, and that silence at the end when she receive that photo too...
Jan 29, 2018 1:40 PM

Feb 2014
marmondesu said:
LoomyTheBrew said:

probably yes, you can notice that her reactions are different from first episode..
in 1st episode, she's really supportive, she even laugh and feel happy at kimari's mt fuji photo that she get
yet in 4th episode, her reaction become a bit discouraging, and that silence at the end when she receive that photo too...

Ya I'm glad I'm not the only one that spotted that. Definitely something is going to happen between her and Mari soon.
Jan 29, 2018 2:56 PM

Jul 2017
BaronBrixius said:
Blue_Pie_Ninja said:

I doubt that will happen, this seems to be more of a 'feel-good' anime than Made in Abyss and it doesn't have the same rating that suggest that it will turn dark.

Madoka Magica has the same rating as this, so a dark twist is definitely possible, though more of a purely dramatic one

Yeah, PG-13 does suggest something darker than what we've seen so far may well happen.

EDIT: Yuru Camp is also a PG-13 though!

Episode 5 tomorrow today, yay!
D1tchd1ggerJan 30, 2018 12:53 AM
Feb 1, 2018 7:41 AM

Jan 2016
Well, I can tell you that this show is probably my Anime Of The Season.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

307 by watsym »»
Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2018

176 by watsym »»
Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2018

131 by nirererin »»
Jun 17, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

403 by Prupel1 »»
Jun 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by Prupel1 »»
Jun 16, 1:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.