Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 18, 2017 3:14 PM
Nov 2015
I watched this just now a day late as I had work commitments, I regret that decision so badly now lol.

What an amazing episode, cant wait for future episodes.
Feb 18, 2017 3:52 PM

Sep 2011
I don't have a problem with Shin gathering his last forces to save Yurie, it's how she draw it that annoys me, he looks almost unconscious in one scene but looks in his normal state in the next. We miss a progression here.

They showed him opening his eyes.
Feb 18, 2017 4:30 PM

Dec 2012
HOLY SHIT...is my only response to this episode.
allo
Feb 18, 2017 4:30 PM

Dec 2012
HOLY SHIT...is my only response to this episode.
allo
Feb 18, 2017 4:49 PM

Jul 2012
Annick said:
I don't have a problem with Shin gathering his last forces to save Yurie, it's how she draw it that annoys me, he looks almost unconscious in one scene but looks in his normal state in the next. We miss a progression here.

I might be impatient, but I also took a look at the manga (which is finished) and I'm afraid that we won't know more about this (not sure). What I wonder is if Bon just appeared after the fact and has nothing to do with it or was with Yurie like in the first story and Shin appeared after. I will take a look at those theories... ;)

Ahh, I see, sorry I misread your post a bit then! I'm just so used to stuff like this in anime that it didn't bother me, haha.

And oh, I see. So the manga is complete! I knew that the anime will adapt the manga completely, but last I heard it was almost done. Nice to see that everything has finished in the manga! I haven't spoiled myself about anything, so hopefully they'll add something to the anime that was not in the manga to learn more? But yeah! Nice talkin' to ya~
kayune_Feb 18, 2017 4:55 PM
Feb 18, 2017 7:05 PM
Feb 2012
Episode made me go "WHAT?" out loud. I can't believe S2 is turning out even better than S1. We are not worthy.
Feb 18, 2017 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
atsumu said:
Annick said:

I might be impatient, but I also took a look at the manga (which is finished) and I'm afraid that we won't know more about this (not sure). What I wonder is if Bon just appeared after the fact and has nothing to do with it or was with Yurie like in the first story and Shin appeared after. I will take a look at those theories... ;)

Ahh, I see, sorry I misread your post a bit then! I'm just so used to stuff like this in anime that it didn't bother me, haha.

And oh, I see. So the manga is complete! I knew that the anime will adapt the manga completely, but last I heard it was almost done. Nice to see that everything has finished in the manga! I haven't spoiled myself about anything, so hopefully they'll add something to the anime that was not in the manga to learn more? But yeah! Nice talkin' to ya~

Everything else in that anime is so beautiful and well done, I was just disappointed a little by those death scenes. Yes it's complete, so we will have a proper end! That episode was from vol.8 (there are 10 vol). I first saw the manga, a long time ago. I don't think they will add more to the anime, they cut a few scenes, nothing major, but so far it follows the manga. =)
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Feb 18, 2017 7:17 PM

Aug 2013
YayPepsi said:

They showed him opening his eyes.

I think I was expecting more... more drama lol Anyway, that scene was better than the first one.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Feb 19, 2017 12:50 AM

Jun 2013
"It wasn't anyone's fault. They were all victims."

I suspected Yakumo was an unreliable narrator after the first season---that his retelling of these tragic events was not in fact the truth. I knew something like this was coming. But the part that Konatsu played in it... that was a HUGE shocker. Even with those suspicions, the impact of this episode was not diminished in the slightest. I haven't cried that much because of a story in a WHILE (book, TV, movie, animated or otherwise).

Shouwa Genroku would have to fail spectacularly for me to not consider it a masterpiece at this point. It's pretty solidly in my top 5.
-Trippwire-Feb 19, 2017 1:01 PM
Feb 19, 2017 1:15 AM

Jan 2009
Wow.....I really didn't expect this episode to bring us back into the nastolgia of season one then THROW US OFF A FUCKING CLIFF. I'm in shock. Holy crap. Kiku has been performing rakugo with these scars for years.
I'm just gonna go lay in the corner.
Feb 19, 2017 4:34 AM

Feb 2008
Wow. To think that things actually took that dark of a turn... It even brought tears to my eyes. However, that revelation shows Yakumo in a completely new light.

An enthralling episode.
Feb 19, 2017 4:50 AM

Dec 2014
I... wasn't expecting this. At all. For years he cared for his best friend's child, letting her hate and blame him so that she wouldn't grow up hating herself. He's shielded her from that trauma for decades while she's verbally abused him over and over for a crime he never committed. She'll hate herself all the more for it if she ever learns the truth. At the end of Yakumo's life he and Konatsu should be supporting one another emotionally, but he won't reach out and let others help him because he's determined to shoulder the burden himself. How heartbreaking.
Feb 19, 2017 6:36 AM

Jun 2015
Such a serene episode delving into the rakugo performances with real finesse, pacing, interactions, all perfect.

Closes the perfect circle with a twist that gives a second explanation to one of the most questionable scenes from the first season for many people. Ho-holy 10/10 material right here.
Feb 19, 2017 7:48 AM

Apr 2016
This season is absolutely amazing.Another 5/5 episode.
Feb 19, 2017 8:02 AM
Sep 2016
Damm this episode was intense
Feb 19, 2017 9:09 AM

Jul 2014
OMG!!i am speechless.....first half is so heartwarming, then the last half is too much depressing, definitely one of the best anime AGAIN for this year....
Feb 19, 2017 10:26 AM

Mar 2013
Damn, that was intense. A really good episode.

Seeing those old films really made me nostalgic about S1. It was a delight to see Kikuhiko and Sukeroku at their prime one last time.

Also, the scenario pertaining to Sukeroku and Miyokichi's deaths was't really dramatic as much as I had expected. Still it was nice to see how it actually played out.
Kikuhiko's the man. Burdening all the blame just so Konatsu don't get traumatized by the event... I have now even more respect for him ;_;

It was well directed episode. First it slowly builds up the atmosphere hitting viewers with a wave of nostalgia and then bam! Suddenly discloses secret, the revelation of much awaited mystery of that unfortunate night.
Feb 19, 2017 10:46 AM

Mar 2013
DUUUUUUUDE

I'm so shocked!!!!! WHAT A TWIST!!

So Yakumo lied about the suicide event to protect Konatsu from the truth.
Feb 19, 2017 2:07 PM

Feb 2014
DAMN, that caught me off guard, I ddn´t expect that the death of those two was totally different, Miyo is some crazy bitch stabbing Shin-chan, it felt gruesome and left a bad feeling in my stomach. The fact that Konatsu was actually the responsible one makes it even worse.
This anime is really an underrated masterpiece easily in my top ten list.
Feb 20, 2017 3:44 PM

Jul 2011
Did I just cry... from shock!?

The truth about their deaths left me speechless. Man, even at this stage we're still learning a lot about Yakumo.
Feb 20, 2017 5:56 PM

Jan 2011
Mirorin said:
Did I just cry... from shock!?

I second that.
Great directing.
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Feb 20, 2017 8:40 PM
Feb 2017
MM m m .... like when old people (you know whenever i say that i mean people who were old when they were 25, i dont mean people like warren buffet or somethintg) always go on about "bukz" ! i say if a movie does as much as spark interest where a book gets discarded GO FOR THE MOVIE. If it werent for anime i wouldnt know half no, like 3/4 about japan and its culture as i do know , the concepts inhere

it spans over many, like hyouge mono, or even rurouni kenshin all touch topics and items i would otherwise never have heard about. In this case rakugo i cant think of anything but people here doing shakespeare over and over and over again both plays and monologues putting their own heart and soul into the very same texts written hundreds of years ago and up today still filling theatres

thats why im so averse to stuff like dragonball or naruto perhaps. Its like the only things that make it to tv here , o yea and pokemon, lets not forget team rocket and satoshi not-kamoto

which is like

well /headscratch

cartoons, right ?

stuff like this or hyouge mono or even kenshin which does touch a lot about a certain period and the deeper stuff about the intovert culture and difficulty to connect like ako no hana are pretty much cultural eports if you ask me
Feb 20, 2017 10:41 PM
Aug 2011
Balls. I teared.
I was waiting for this and it was marvelous. I love how it subtly built up to that heavy situation.
These characters (especially Yakumo) have carried so much in themselves, it's very saddening to me.
Feb 20, 2017 11:07 PM

Oct 2008
انا حزين جداً
Feb 21, 2017 11:55 AM

Jan 2015
SO IT WAS KONATSU WHO KILLED BOTH OF THEM HOLY SHIT
Feb 21, 2017 3:47 PM
Jan 2016
i was crying during the whole episode??? also, can we talk about how much i love Matsuda-san, the real MVP of this series.
Feb 21, 2017 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like to rate shows currently airing but I've just rated this 9/10 because I just can't believe it will go down from it anymore. They have to really fuck up for me to take this 9 out.
Feb 21, 2017 8:00 PM

Sep 2013
Now I want to rewatch season 1... fuck xD
Feb 22, 2017 12:26 AM
Mar 2012
Yakumo & Konatsu scarf thing was sweet, retirement talk was so depressing, thought they'd transition to some fun nostalgia with those films. But seeing that tragic inn, Sukeroku's last rakugo which resonated with him turning a leaf, and that huge twist, it's powerfully directed, adds a lot of baggage to Kiku's character & much more believable than s1 version. Miyokichi's still insane, Konatsu had growing hate against her uncaring mother already, Sukeroku with unlucky timing, & the rest is tragedy.
Now Yota's got this terrible baggage of truth & no idea where to put it.
Feb 22, 2017 1:57 AM

May 2015
I think Konastsu deep down on a subconscious level knows that Yakumo wasn't responsible, I don't think she would live with him if she did. Also, that stalker guy I don't like him one bit, I don't trust him either!
Feb 22, 2017 3:26 PM
Dec 2012
Annick said:
Really, the two death scenes, it's what annoyed me the most in that show. The first one was a bit far fetched and the second one is rather vague. What happened? Why did she stab him? How? Did the first story was all false or partly false? There is also the fact that Shin who looks like dying in the arms of Bon, is suddenly coming back to life and he's faster than Bon to catch Yurie. I prefer that one to the first, but I still think it's weak.

I agree that both scenes were pretty bad, the first one was so unnatural and the second one had two annoying things, how shin suddenly moved so quickly-a relatively long distance while severely injured- to catch yurie, and before that, HOW could a 4 yo kid push a 30 mature woman like this? I mean really? REALLY?

IIRC, Yurie had many mysterious scenes in S1 where she was implying that she is going to suicide and kill bon for not loving her back or something like this, but it was so obvious that she had wicked intentions back then, so chronologically her actions were kinda logical.

IMO, S1 one was much better, more enjoyable and more consistent than this season, so disappointed with this season so far.
Feb 23, 2017 9:31 PM

Mar 2014
Oh god. UNEXPECTED PLOT TWIST
Feb 24, 2017 2:01 AM

Sep 2016
well fuck, this was a great ass episode plot twist was amazing and it was awesome to see sukeroku and kiku perform in their prime
Facta Non Verba
Feb 24, 2017 12:14 PM

Oct 2012
RoryBurrows said:
I'm beyond traumatised, holy shit.

Me: I'm not prepared to watch Rakugo this week, so I'll wait until friday to watch it.
Me: (today) I STILL WASN'T PREPARED FOR THIS AT ALL. WHY
Feb 24, 2017 12:27 PM

Jul 2014
This is the most tragic anime I've ever seen.
Feb 25, 2017 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
Ah, finally the reveal. I got spoiled on it immediately after finishing the first season.
Feb 25, 2017 8:52 PM

Apr 2014
i sure missed the young Bon, i forgot how handsome he was. i definitely love this season and i think it's just as spectacular but i really miss the first season. might have to give it a rewatch some time

and it's so cool how they showed the rakugo from first season, i clearly remember the story Sukeroku told because i remember thinking "man this is long" haha

well holy fuck looks like it wasn't a suicide. it was kinda all Konatsu's fault....oh no....when she finds out.... or will she remember? i hope she doesn't blame herself too much, she was a kid

i don't remember much from first season so i don't understand exactly why Yurie stabbed Sukeroku? what the hell happened? and they just fell into water, they could have survived, especially Yurie since Sukeroku was holding her. the height wasn't that great either, didn't they at least try to help them?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2017 3:01 AM

Oct 2012
Did not expect that twist. Best episode in the series so far.
Feb 27, 2017 6:47 AM

May 2012
Knew something was odd about Kikuhiko's story in the last season, especially after the sudden flashback Konatsu had in the first episode of him holding a blood-covered Sukeroku. My suspicions were confirmed... My god, that was still really intense and a sudden twist, but it's so tragic knowing all this now and how much he's endured in his life. Such a small lie in his story just to hide Konatsu from the real truth.

I'm assuming the truth will be revealed to her later down the line with her regretting how she's treated Kikuhiko her whole life. Even knowing the truth though, I find it hard to hate Konatsu

Mar 1, 2017 2:35 AM

Mar 2009
Wish I hadn't had the details of this episode spoiled for me. *sigh*
It's pretty fascinating when you realize this show is actually a rakugo story itself. Bon came up with the story to keep Konatsu from being traumatized.

Anyway, if we get no further details as to why Miyo stabbed Sukeroku, I guess she was a selfish and horrible woman to the very end. Love makes you do crazy things and she was never able to move on.
Mar 3, 2017 3:02 AM

Jul 2009
OMG!!! So that's how it really happens!!! I never expected it!!! I was so surprised, and I felt so much pain, Yakumo decided it was better to make Konatsu hate him and blame him...so sad.
This story is so wonderful, but deep inside, I really wished Yakumo and Yurie could have been happy in their past, end up together and all...
Mar 4, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2011
I don't even know what to say.
Mar 8, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit, I'm so sad now. This story is so tragic that even 20 minutes after watching it, I'm still crying.
I have even more respect for Yakumo after having seen what really happened. It should have been so hard to bear the responsibility of these deaths alone. Poor family, poor Yakumo, I'm so sad T_T

BTW, it was nice to see Yakumo and Sukeroku play Rakugo. This anime is a masterpiece
Mar 9, 2017 6:48 AM
May 2016
Can't stop crying!!
DakshkrewMar 9, 2017 6:51 AM
Mar 13, 2017 5:15 PM

Jan 2016
Well goddamn... Easily one of the best episodes in the whole series
Mar 24, 2017 11:10 PM

Oct 2012
Ah I remembered that one rakugo about finding dirty purse, that was really amazing

So... It was Miyokichi's fault? Then Konatsu spiced it a lot?
I don't know whether they should told her the truth or not
Seems like the right thing to do, but it'll hurt
"Signature removed"
Mar 30, 2017 2:04 AM

Jun 2013
I love hearing Shinnosuke call Yotarou "tou-chan" or daddy/father. Their father/son interaction is so cute.

It's so wonderful seeing the younger Yakumo/Kikuhiko again in black and white and the colored depiction of his rakugo coming into life.

OMG, so Miyokichi stabbed Sukeroku. Konatsu hated her mom, pushed her to the balcony THEN they fell to their death. :( So sad. I don't feel that sorry for Miyokichi but poor Sukeroku.

I wonder if Konatsu really remembers but refuses to show others that she does. Perhaps she's in guilt but doesn't show it.
臭い-
Mar 31, 2017 5:32 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The end of the episode was dramatic, and bloody, because the true is more hard that the fantasy!!!
If one of my favorites storys, 48 ryo, great story with a cool and tearful end ;) Nice flashback film :)
Mar 31, 2017 6:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The end of the episode was dramatic, and bloody, because the true is more hard that the fantasy!!!
If one of my favorites storys, 48 ryo, great story with a cool and tearful end ;) Nice flashback film :)
Mar 31, 2017 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
How old is sensei? The accident happened 30 years ago. He saw Miyokichi when he was a teen and she was still dating Kiku.
If we say he was 14 then. After she broke up with Kiku, had Konatsu, so we add at least 6 years (unless Konatsu was much younger than 5), then 30 years.

So sensei is more or less 50. He sure doesn't look like 50.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

300 by filoshi »»
Oct 8, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

84 by Lemon_Snickers »»
Sep 21, 1:49 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

119 by DarkInsomnia57 »»
Aug 13, 3:20 PM

» Who is the father of Konatsu's first child? *SPOIER?* ( 1 2 )

OGOTAKU - Mar 12, 2017

70 by Kriptonid09 »»
Jun 28, 5:21 PM

» Bit surprised to see s2 rated higher than s1

Korppi - Aug 9, 2017

11 by Pursueth »»
Feb 26, 1:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.