Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
Yay, Studio 3Hz loves d'n'b. Great OP.
Animation and art quality is superb. It looks really really great, like totally hand drawn. I'm impressed, especially in this times (where we can see more and more 3d trash).

BlueBalls said:
This is 100% hand-drawn isn't it? I couldn't spot a single polygon of CGI.

Nope, but they used CG in smart way which is rather unusual. This is a perfect example how anime should looks like (ok maybe except character design, which isn't that bad btw). Of course this is huge advantage and I will watch because of it, even if story won't be very interesting.
rsc-plOct 6, 2016 2:06 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 6, 2016 2:02 PM

Mar 2014
Wow the character animation is wonderful and charming, had a big smile on my face the entire time, well up until that last scene
Oct 6, 2016 2:04 PM

Jul 2015
TheBigGuy said:
I wonder, what this show is trying to accomplish. If it wants to be one of these wacky and funny shows, it pretty much fails. It's too wishy-washy in my opinion.

It feels like a more visual and basic Alice in wonderland so far.
Oct 6, 2016 2:13 PM
Apr 2016
i liked this first episode but I didn't think I would. Papika is very cute and I wonder how the rest of the show will go on
Oct 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2012
*see Bu's brain*
*closes his "head"*
I'm laughing.
Also there's some pretty dark shit going on.
This gave me a lot of Alice in Wonderland feels, mostly the ending and the preview of the next episode
Oct 6, 2016 2:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Here it is, the sasuga anime of the season !
Really enjoyed this first episode, i have a bunch of questions but im pretty sure they'll be answered soon. (well, i hope so anyway)

Also, best OP and ED so far this season.
Oct 6, 2016 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
I started watching without any expectations and got surprised.
The animation looks so crisp and the two MC´s are very adorable.
The end of this episode was well done and got me hyped a bit.
I'm curious how the story will develop.
Oct 6, 2016 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
Expected to be good only to be disappointed but I'll watch it again cause I was burned out from binging on Gekiranger.

For now 2.5/5

Oct 6, 2016 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
Well that was fun.
Oct 6, 2016 4:05 PM

Oct 2011
Weird & Cute. I like it.
Oct 6, 2016 4:19 PM

Sep 2012
The main reason I wanted to watch this was because of the animation. It's a bit too early to start judging the story but the animation and backgrounds are amazing! Definitely looking forward to more.
Oct 6, 2016 4:40 PM

Oct 2012
Seems like this could be pretty dark. Considering the ending and the fact that when Kokona and Papika were in the black and white area, Papika hugged her saying, "You're alive!" whitch could be implying that they've already gotten people killed trying to get to Pure Ilusion

Pretty interesting concept, I love the art, color and animation
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Oct 6, 2016 5:00 PM

May 2015
Entertaining, yet very weird. But it's pretty damn unique. I'm curious as to what this show will bring. Fun start so far.

Oct 6, 2016 5:05 PM

Dec 2014
I don't know what I just watched or understand anything about it but it was entertaining and fun so I don't care. Also that ED was superb.
Oct 6, 2016 5:21 PM

Jun 2014
WELL, this sure was something. It has some kind of weird charm to it, maybe it's the art? Anyway I look forward to see what will happen in this anime...
Oct 6, 2016 5:24 PM

Apr 2016
I don't know what kind of acid the makers of this show were on, but I want some. Seems like this could be a cute "power of friendship" series. Gorgeous to look at, at least.
Oct 6, 2016 5:36 PM

Feb 2013
Papika and Cocona are too cute and fun, the animation was great, I like this!
Oct 6, 2016 6:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I wonder why the snow was sweet...?
Oct 6, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2014

yuri ??  
i like the char design 👍           
Oct 6, 2016 6:34 PM

Aug 2012
That was...whoa. I don't know what to expect from this, but all the sakuga potential is like crack to me. Overall direction was very unique and immersive as well. Was not expecting this, to say the least.
Oct 6, 2016 6:43 PM
Oct 2014
This show is basically Yuri on LSD.
No doubt the producers did some chemicals.
Oct 6, 2016 6:53 PM

Mar 2008
Off the wall insanity makes a fun story that may shape up to be adventure of the week or some underlying plot, we'll have to see where it goes from here. The animation makes me think more of Gainax or Trigger something like FLCL. Really liked the ED theme it's very catchy! Like a little more development of our characters in episodes to come. Looking to be another solid show for the season.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Oct 6, 2016 7:57 PM
Jan 2014
I like how the show brought its themes up visually. Characters are well designed to their archetypes, background and animation are simple and fantasy-esque. Despite the mindfuck that was episode one, I think this will be a simple cute anime about the coming of age of Cocona, as the name gives away. There's some substantial reference to Alice in Wonderland, which should imply the anime is about an emotional rollercoaster through the imagination of a teenager girl - and hell would I like to see that! Papika's name also signals the relationship between the character's as the clash between conscious and unconscious, which is really well depicted visually. Themes like the discovery of sexuality have already been addressed, and I think there's a lot more to come. Even if the plot is not outstanding, I'm really excited to see how the characters (character?) develop in this unusual anime. It's the season's hidden jewel.
Oct 6, 2016 8:21 PM

May 2013
Feels like alice in wonderland and down to rabbit hole.
expecting some grim dark or dramatic ending.
Oct 6, 2016 8:29 PM

Jan 2014
The art is pretty weird but yet unique

THAT ANIMATION THOUGH !!!!!!!!!!

Definitely gonna give this a shot
Oct 6, 2016 8:46 PM

Dec 2014
Umm what was that? Great energy, though.

4/5
I need sleep.
Oct 6, 2016 8:54 PM

Sep 2014
stand said:

That ending. I got Jinrui goodness vibes omg.

I found that too and I had to check this out and of course both are composed by Masumi Itou.
Oct 6, 2016 8:58 PM

Feb 2016
haven't seem something THIS weird since i started JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 6, 2016 9:30 PM

Nov 2015
What the hell did I just see? I watched the first episode solely on the basis that the show's name was ludicrous. And now I'm hooked. I can't possibly predict how I'll rate it at the end of the cour but I really hope it turns out to fulfill its promise.

Plus, the ED song and animation are top-notch.
Oct 6, 2016 9:55 PM

Nov 2008
Eh, the only things I liked were the OP and ED. The animation is cool but.....naw, it's not really enough to hook me. The yuri is a turn-off for sure....

Oct 6, 2016 10:03 PM

Jun 2015
heh, that was interesting
that part in Cocona's dream, and the scene at the end, also the ED.....wonder if it turns out to be like Madoka, but probably this will be bizarrely cute
Oct 6, 2016 10:17 PM

Jul 2011
Well that was better than expected! The amount of effort they put into this episode is head and shoulders over anything else I've seen this season as of yet. Hopefully they can keep this up! Beautiful artwork, loving the OST, and loving Papika even more :3

On another note, why is everyone so obsessed with comparing anime? Can't we just let it be it's own thing? Stop being so critical, sit back and enjoy the ride! I swear half the people on this website actually hate anime (and probably everything else, too).
Oct 6, 2016 11:56 PM

Nov 2010
Wow, now that's what i call a wild ride.

And at first i thought the ED was sung by Masumi Ito, i was wrong apparently.
Oct 7, 2016 12:27 AM

Dec 2015
Fast and very well done, the episode flows constantly well. A perfect start for a potentially good series.

Enjoyment:5/5

The glasses rescue and a few other brief moments remind me of Birth. I wonder if it will have the same recipe: a microscopic storyline used as an excuse to deliver a series of great animation demonstrations. (as a TV series, it would probably be too hard money/work-wise; and even if it was possible it would be terribly boring four hours long)

Estimated score: 4-8/10

@Paulo27 @Dimentioluc We don't even fully know what this is...
Oct 7, 2016 12:37 AM

Jun 2013
That was amazing! This was one of the anime i was looking forward to the most from this season, and it more than met my expectations, Definitely the best first episode besides Hibike so far!
And the ed is so cute!
Oct 7, 2016 1:54 AM

Nov 2011
reminds me of Jinrui. I like Cocona's VA at least her scream during that scene.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Oct 7, 2016 3:21 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, so that was 24 minutes of pretty visuals. Can I get some plot up in this anime please?
Oct 7, 2016 3:58 AM

Jun 2013
This looked pretty vague story wise. But the visuals were good. Only second to Keijo.

Papika is some mysterious girl who needs a partner for whatever and she decides to make Cocona her partner. And they enter this Pure Illusion world where everything is like an illusion or whatever. It's probably a different dimension or something which can be accessed under certain circumstances. And Papika has to find something there which looks good and smells like a middle school girl lol.

Nothing really made sense in this episode. They haven't revealed much here except for Papika having to find something. They don't tell what it really is except for saying that it grants wishes. How do they find it? Where do they find it? What is it? These questions will probably be answered as things progress.

Cocona had that thing they were searching for. And it probably came on its own or was granted to Cocona or whatever probably because she was in great need of it and that thing helped her save Papika from drowning with those whatevers.

I'll see some more of this but I think this'll be one of those shows which really start to make sense quite late into the series. So maybe I'll have to stick around till the end. I hope I won't regret it. At least I'll get some good visuals.
Oct 7, 2016 4:01 AM

Jul 2016
I feel some sort of Alice in Wonderland vibe, the way the characters travel between real world and Pure Illusion. I'll probably give it a try on the upcoming episodes.
SkyWing0Oct 7, 2016 4:04 AM
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 7, 2016 4:46 AM

Jul 2012
Definitely a standout of the current season, Looking forward to more.
Looks like the story will be built up more in the next episode.
Oct 7, 2016 4:52 AM
Jul 2014
Hopefully we'll get a bit more story soon, but that seemed like a good character introduction episode. If a bit zany.
Oct 7, 2016 5:40 AM

Feb 2015
so so silly

i loved it more than i thought i would tbh.
Oct 7, 2016 5:49 AM

Oct 2016
that cocona awakening her powers gave me a 5 seconds goosebumps .. well im expecting some unique fight scenes here ..
Oct 7, 2016 5:55 AM

Aug 2009
Rei366 said:
Fast and very well done, the episode flows constantly well. A perfect start for a potentially good series.

Enjoyment:5/5

The glasses rescue and a few other brief moments remind me of Birth. I wonder if it will have the same recipe: a microscopic storyline used as an excuse to deliver a series of great animation demonstrations. (as a TV series, it would probably be too hard money/work-wise; and even if it was possible it would be terribly boring four hours long)

Estimated score: 4-8/10

@Paulo27 @Dimentioluc We don't even fully know what this is...

First episode had many aspects I really enjoy (presenting the characters through a little adventure and not infodumps, amazing colorful visuals and that feeling about discovering a new world) and I like the staff involved, specially Ayana Yuniko. At least the first episode was the best first episode this season already and I'm excited to see more.
Oct 7, 2016 6:15 AM

May 2014
my yuri radar is going off
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 7, 2016 7:11 AM

Jan 2014
Completely loved it, great animation and all in all it gave me a little of that 'Gibli feeling'.
Op and especially the Ed(music vise) was great, very rare that i bother watching the OP/ED, but here i loved watching them, ED on repeat several times after watching the episode because i loved the song.
Oct 7, 2016 7:29 AM
Mar 2014
Papika voice reminds me of Hakase from nichijou :D !!! (and it's a good thing XD)
Oct 7, 2016 8:48 AM

Dec 2015
@Dimentioluc I see, sorry. I'm slow and it makes more sense to me now.
Oct 7, 2016 9:43 AM
Aug 2016
Looks like another Yuri tease to me.
Oct 7, 2016 9:52 AM

Aug 2009
Rei366 said:
@Dimentioluc I see, sorry. I'm slow and it makes more sense to me now.

No prob at all. Just wanted to explain why I'm hyped.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

191 by Touka »»
46 minutes ago

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Bastodon »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.