Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 18, 2017 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, a new semester begins (2nd year) for Rei and the others. Shogi science club sounds like a neat idea. An awkward place for the finale but I think as a faithful adaptation, it makes sense.

Comedy is good and amusing as expected. The scene with the train was beautiful animated.

For those wondering, almost every episode adapted about 2-3 chapters (mostly 2) so the pacing flowed pretty well for the majority of the show. I think for most parts, Shaft did a neat job at producing this show from start to finish. 9/10

Also season 2 announced!
Stark700Mar 18, 2017 7:37 AM
Mar 18, 2017 7:39 AM
Sep 2013
Good,re-airing in prime time and second season anounced.Second season hopefully air prime time too.
Mar 18, 2017 7:40 AM

Aug 2015
This series is wonderful. I absolutely love all the characters in the series, my favorites are Hinata and Shimada.

Honestly, it was a big surprise and I didn't really think that I would like this type of series. (I knew nothing about shogi)

I'm looking forward to season 2. ^_^

10/10
Mar 18, 2017 10:06 AM

Jan 2012
Daaaaw, Rei was such a nice boy even treating the ants. XD Overall though this finale still seemed to be lacking 3 somethings...hmmmm....who were they again? Ah yes, the sisters! XD

Well despite being called, or at least implied to be, a moron who just couldn't appreciate what this second cour was trying to do around here I stand by my opinion that it wasn't as enjoyable for me as the first because of their diminished presence. As well as a lot of focus on Shimada that I found fairly uninteresting. With that said I still greatly enjoyed the series. Several episodes hit pretty hard emotional impacts, and the sisters/Rei/Nikaidou were all enjoyable to watch interact with each other. And although I didn't like her the show did manage to make me interested to see where Kyouko's story goes from here. Her relationship with her father especially. All this without having any real interest in shogi too, solid 8/10, well done. XD

So yeah, definitely glad it is getting a season 2. Honestly before that was announced I was prepared to go off on a tangent about how disappointed I was that these later episodes didn't focus on the stuff I cared about. I think I might enjoy them more in hindsight knowing they weren't the end of the series though. That they were only(roughly) episodes 16 - 22 of an at least 34 episode long whole. And hopefully more than that if the source material allows it I honestly don't know. Also hopefully next season will focus more on the girls! Bring on the Fall! XD
Mar 18, 2017 10:36 AM

Mar 2016
I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON TWO

i love this show so much, it deserves more attention than it gets

9/10
Mar 18, 2017 10:40 AM

May 2012
Great anime, and a pretty faithful adaptation for the most part.

Then we got a season 2 announcement? WOO. Fall 2017 is shaping up to look pretty great for me

Loved how the ended the anime with Fighter

Mar 18, 2017 11:06 AM

Aug 2008
you end the season with no Kawamoto family? what the fu
Mar 18, 2017 11:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
ep. 22 and ends of this series, exactly ends of season, will be enjoy a second nearly!!!

This episode, Kiriyama begins a new school curse, and with the help of the teacher,they will try to created a Shogi club, but to find the menbers necessary to create it not will easy. will they do it?

I like the metaphor of the last, of the train, and he is not walking alone, there are next to him a lot of people.

9/10 for this season, and in my personal top , this anime series stay in the best three series thatI have been able to see in the last six months!!! the draw style loved me, and the Kiriyama character, afable, shy, introverted and solitary too loved me!!!
Mar 18, 2017 11:11 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing finale, It hit all the right areas with me, made me so damn emotional. I teared up when 'Fighter' started playing. XD

Hayashida is seriously one of the best characters in this show, wish I had an amazing teacher like that. He's such a great guy, helping out Rei as much as he can, ulterior motives included. XD

That moment when Rei smiled after Nobuchi asked Rei to teach him Shogi as well was just so heartwarming, I was grinning so hard. Soundtrack was awesome too. :D
So glad to see Rei found himself a place to belong in school.

The second half was really outstanding in showing how Shogi played a major part in quelling Rei's loneliness as a kid and how he found a place to belond. I kinda understand all those feelings Rei went through in trying to be as inconspicuous as possible when you're trying to be by yourself. XD
I liked the train reference in the end about how everyone was travelling towards the same place and that's why it feels like Rei has a place to belong or relate too.

Overall, what can I say? Outstanding show, I was interested in the Shogi stuff even though I know nothing about it, that in itself makes it something special. Lovable characters all round. The emotional impact of this show is nothing short of spectacular. There are so many parts where I felt really emotional, grinning, tearing up, it had it all. I especially love the way the show showcases Rei slowly overcoming his problems by discovering all these simple but much needed realizations and joys. To be honest, these are the moments where I feel the show truly shines as it creates this heartwarming and morally uplifting emotion that just makes me really happy. I don't know but maybe it's because I can relate to a lot of the problems Rei faces as an introverted kid. Simply put, I loved everything from start to finish.

10/10 , Can't wait for S2 and I want another Bump of Chicken OP and ED. XD
Mar 18, 2017 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
A new semester begins and Rei joined a club with the help of Takahashi. So glad he found a place to belong in school. The second half was amazing. Shogi played a big role in Rei's life. It helped him not feel lonely. This series is very amazing. The soundtrack and visuals was outstanding. There were some very good moments. Overall, a stupendous show. Can't wait for season two. 9/10
Mar 18, 2017 11:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
There we have it. Shogi is a tool for Rei. But a really efficient one and it made him cope with his personality better. That's his way of fighting in life, just having someone sit next to him. Great metaphor at the end with the train into the light. He is not alone on this path as many other competitors follow it.

And as always, Hayashida-sensei is amazing. Going out of his way to merge clubs to form a shogi club. Rei can consider himself lucky to have a teacher like that in his life.

They played ''Fighter'' at the end, what a fitting way to end the series and it's not over as it will continue already in this year. I'm over the moon. Can't wait.

9/10
Mar 18, 2017 11:36 AM

May 2009
Good show. Meek final episode. Hoping for second season!
Mar 18, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2014
I was also a bit disappointed that the sisters didn't get one more appearance before the end, but I still greatly enjoyed this finale and the whole show in general. Ending the season with the first ED was perfect, as it really fit the theme of this whole episode.

I think it's pretty funny that when it was first announced that Shaft would be animating this, a bunch of people were lowering their expectations and saying negative things (like it would be bad, or some people saying they would straight up not bother watching). I'm not sure what all that fuss was about, because I personally think they did an excellent job on this show. 8/10, can't wait for S2 in the Fall!
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 18, 2017 11:44 AM

Feb 2016
Nice review nigga. I want more Kyouko, Gotou, Shimada and maybe well even get Souya. I considered reading the manga but I like the way Shaft is doing it so Ill just wait for the next season since its relatively close.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 18, 2017 11:47 AM

Mar 2016
x3mslayer said:
Good show. Meek final episode. Hoping for second season!

Already announced, Fall 2017.
Mar 18, 2017 12:02 PM

Aug 2016
That last ep was nice. Rlly wished it had ended with some more interactions with the sisters, but oh well. First cour shows more of Rei's family relationship, both with his real family and with the Kawamoto sisters' family, and how he's found a place where he belongs in the latter. Second cour focuses more on the Shogi aspect and Rei's relationship with the people he plays with, so it does make sense to end it by showing just how much he has progressed in it, how it changes his life, and how it has also provided a place for him to belong.

This has been a great series. Almost everything I could ever ask for in an anime. Love it & can't wait for S2.
GaoGaoTamaMar 18, 2017 12:17 PM
Mar 18, 2017 12:03 PM

Apr 2016
The conclusion was nice and when Bump Of Chicken started playing I couldn't hold back any tears. 10/10
Mar 18, 2017 12:07 PM

Apr 2014
so glad a 2nd season is happening cause they ended this season right before alot of stuff about to get real crazy so im really looking forward to season 2 and seeing all of it animated
"one step at a time"
Mar 18, 2017 12:23 PM

Dec 2014
meh the first part seemed nice but overall an ok anime
Mar 18, 2017 12:33 PM
Jun 2014
Great final episode, but honestly the Lion King arc spoiled the show for me when I was pretty much set on giving it a 9/10 after the first half.

For starters they put far too much emphasis on the actual Shogi, for the first half it was used as a tool to drive the story and I didn't feel that I was missing anything by not understanding the moves they were making. For the second half that shifted to constantly barking out moves like "Gold General 4-E!, no Rook 2-D is better!" or tactics like "he's using bear in the hole, I should use static rook" which was impossible to follow when there was no context to it.

Secondly it felt like Rei was no longer the main character, he was mostly just standing around in background and with Kyouko, the sisters and his father all being basically non-existent every story hook they'd spent time building just fell apart. Shimada was honestly completely boring, I didn't care about his paper-thin backstory and it didn't need to be dragged out over so many episodes.

Finally, the comedy took a real nosedive. It always felt a little awkward and forced when the sisters and their cats weren't involved but with them gone the chairman became the comic relief instead, and his shtick of interrupting heavy moments with insensitive remarks wasn't even remotely funny.
Mar 18, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
The conclusion at the end gave me shivers. I even dare to say that even if the second season wouldn't have been announced, the series could had ending in that moment and I would be still satisfied.

Cannot wait for the second season in October. Thank God Shaft for decide to make a season 2.

8.5/10. Here goes my AOTS of the Fall of the last year...
Mar 18, 2017 12:45 PM

Aug 2016
Great anime, I'm really happy that there will be a second season in fall 2017!

My final score is: 8.22/10 so an 8/10!
Nanika ga Okashii
Mar 18, 2017 12:48 PM
Apr 2014
oh man already the last episode D: I want more... Guess I have to read the source for that >.>

Anyway. About the episode. Why did the teacher have that idea so late? Kiriyama had a lot to do for his shogi competitions but that's no different now. Even if they couldn't have made a new club during the school year he could have at least asked around already. Kiriyama probably wouldn't be able to find 5 people on his own anyway.

I really hope they are doing another season.
Mar 18, 2017 12:49 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nanashi said:
oh man already the last episode D: I want more... Guess I have to read the source for that >.>

Anyway. About the episode. Why did the teacher have that idea so late? Kiriyama had a lot to do for his shogi competitions but that's no different now. Even if they couldn't have made a new club during the school year he could have at least asked around already. Kiriyama probably wouldn't be able to find 5 people on his own anyway.

I really hope they are doing another season.

It's already confirmed that they do a second season this year in the fall season.
Mar 18, 2017 12:50 PM

Apr 2013
Woah, I'm impressed, this episode was a great final. Can't wait for season 2!
Mar 18, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2014
Had Gintama and Rakugo not been airing this season, this would've been my number one pick easily.

Really good series, and I'm so looking forward to the second season. Such a well put together series :)
Mar 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2014
Well that was pretty good. For a final episode though it wasn't that great until the last 10 minutes. I wish we would've seen the sisters one last time at least. I liked this show but I got really burnt out on it after around episode 15. It just felt like it was dragging on even though I was enjoying the episodes. Hopefully come Fall I'll be back in the mood to enjoy this anime to the fullest again.

7/10
Mar 18, 2017 1:36 PM

Nov 2014
I expected this last episode filled with Rei and Kawamotos. But it wasn't. Somehow I felt a bit disappointed.

However. 10/10 deserved.
Mar 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2014
The class discussion topic being why do they exclude Kiriyama was pretty funny.
Mar 18, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
The anime of the year for me.

So many emotions, from laugh to tears and back like it's nothing, so many amazing supporting characters, "antagonists" included, all struggling in their own way, all larger than the screen, even the animals were adding something, top notch voice acting, beautifull background shots, great opening and ending song too (the second ones) and a lovable MC with the best sisters on earth.

For me one more precious tiny little bit of happiness in this world.
Mar 18, 2017 2:02 PM
Apr 2014
Smudy said:

It's already confirmed that they do a second season this year in the fall season.

well. that's awesome! thanks for the info :D
Mar 18, 2017 2:25 PM

Feb 2013
I really liked this anime a lot. I can't wait for a Season 2 in October. They should consider a spin off story about the 3 sisters..
Mar 18, 2017 2:51 PM

Oct 2013
Powerful anime. It was beautiful to see Kiriyama's character development over the series. Can't wait for the second season.
Mar 18, 2017 3:01 PM

Dec 2012
Lovely finale episode.
Must be hard repeating a year.

Hayashida Sensei is the best suggesting a Shogi club & being the Faculty Advisor so they can still talk to each other.
Nice idea to join with the After Burners Club.

Poor Rei alone as a child. So nice he has people to talk to now.
Loved the 1st ED song playing as well as the art in the credits.

Overall a great & wonderful show. Beautiful art & animation, especially the background of the city & houses. Awesome End Cards after each episode.
Thank you Studio Shaft.
Rei is a great character. Love the Kawamoto Sisters.

So happy & excited they announced a 2nd Season for Fall 2017.
8/10.
Santoryu_XBurnerMar 18, 2017 3:10 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 18, 2017 3:49 PM

Aug 2016
Wow that whole thing with the ticket being his "lifeline," i teared up a bit. And when fighter came on at the end Q_Q

I love this anime and the finale was great. Contrasting between when he was younger, always having an empty seat beside him.... and now having a magical ticket that makes life worth living :D

Rei and his ants, sensei and first year senpai were beautiful lol. Deciding to start a club is usually what slice of life animes start off with. Followed by finding an adviser and the appropriate amount of club members lol. Thankfully starting a shogi club wasnt what 3-gatsu is about.

QUESTION: Why is rei repeating his.... second year ?? i dont even know what year was in lol. I always thought he was older and started later or something.

And it found it kiinda strange that the 3 sister were not included in the finale :P
Mar 18, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2015
I loved the second half! "Fighter" was such a nice segment to end on, adored it. First half simply started a shogi club (well, not exactly) and was ok. It didn't have a big impact that a final episode of many anime would, but it still pretty much worked. It was a complete shame that we didn't get to see the sisters at all in this final episode, it really seems like they should be listed as supporting characters since they've been absent from so many episodes.

The starting of a club and the fact that Rei hasn't played again the grey-haired dude who looms like Rei makes me think this really needs a second season. A strong 8/10 from me, nearly 9/10.
Mar 18, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2013
Hayashida is based. I'll rate season 1 as a 9. See y'all in October.
Mar 18, 2017 4:20 PM
Jan 2017
I loved it since the first episode. 10/10
Mar 18, 2017 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
A bit sad the sisters didn't get any sceentime for this last episode.
Mar 18, 2017 4:37 PM

May 2015
That was a nice finale - a decent way to wrap this season up and make way for the next season.

Overall, a pretty nice show. I thought it had a pretty nice balance between the competitive shogi and the slice of life aspect of this show. I will definitely watch the second season.

8/10.

Mar 18, 2017 5:00 PM

Jun 2015
Happy the last episode mostly contained what makes this series strong.

Looking forward to its next season.
Mar 18, 2017 5:18 PM

Jul 2015
wonderful anime (with some average episodes)

9,5/10

expect the second season to be a 10/10 tbh. cant wait.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 18, 2017 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
Meh, pretty underwhelming episode for an ending.
Realisticly speaking whole this episode would be ten times better as half-point between the cours.

We may have got some kind of developement finally but Rei is still pretty much drowning in his self-loathing when he could even try to make his first step alone (but nope, he's just being pushed by others all the time and that didn't change). I really hate characters like these who does nothing for sake of their future (it's ok if he was like this at the beginning but he had plenty of time to change it).

All in all, this had kinda interesting (but still flawed) start but it gradualy turned into drag.
Whole show doesn't work as slice-of-life, it doesn't work as comedy either and there are too few of those heartwarming scenes with sisters. Nor there are any valuable life-lesssons, just repetition of the same theme, the same concept all over again, one step forward, two steps back.
It's sad but even those interesting elements that I liked (sisters, Kyouko etc.) were awfully scarce.

5/10 Pretty forgetable anime, in the end it didn't leave any real impact. I guess meh is the right word for it. Now move on.
Mar 18, 2017 5:32 PM

Jul 2015
Great ending. Thank fuck another season is announced.. Definitely can't wait for more
Mar 18, 2017 5:53 PM

Nov 2008
ZuzuMiBachi said:

QUESTION: Why is rei repeating his.... second year ?? i dont even know what year was in lol. I always thought he was older and started later or something.

He is not repeating his second year. You are correct in thinking that he started later (a year to be precise). His new classmates are just assuming that because "kid in our class who is a year older = failed and repeated a year" is what they immediately think and, in all fairness, is usually the case.

And before anyone asks why no one knows his actual circumstances, Shaft actually took out a line that was in Chapter 2 (so it would have been in Episode 1) that would have explained this (one of the few, if not only, things they took out in the adaptation process) -- when Hayashida and Rei first met in the teacher's lounge, the latter specifically requested not to mention being a professional shogi player to his classmates, probably thinking that people knowing the truth about him would bring him worse problems.
Mar 18, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2014
Enjoyed the last episode of the first season.
I'm really impressed how shaft dealt with the adaption kudos to them.
Found the 2nd half a little bit stronger than the first, Kai shimada made it great, he's really an awesome character.
All in all me i'm looking forward to the 2nd season, especially because the focus is going to shift to an interesting topic, and the romance mannnnn can't wait.
9/10 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Mar 18, 2017 7:22 PM

Jan 2011
I stand with relative few I'm sure but I really enjoyed maybe the first half of this show but the second half, the actual tournament, was filled with so much exposition that it became a chore, boring, and repetitive to watch week to week. I can respect the show though because it is trying to weave a very complicated situation using shogi. I do hope the second season resparks my initial interest.
Mar 18, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
Good final episode, with the closing monologue being great as they always are.
Thankfully there's another season since so much is left to be resolved.
Mar 18, 2017 8:20 PM

Feb 2017
One of the things this anime explored in earnest was how alienation affected Kiriyama Rei. This incredible bright teenager experienced terrible hardships during his childhood and as a consequence, everyone and everything seemed to create a wall around him with the purpose to keep him inside, separated from others. And that's exactly what happened for many years, until Rei reached the point were his life changed for good.

The moment he met the Kawamoto sisters was the very moment light started to shine again in his everyday life. And along with the sisters, a number of characters made their way into Rei's path. He was not alone anymore. But that change was hard to swallow. Rei kept underwater for a while, drowning with his own self-pity. And very slowly --and very painfully-- he started to accept that shogi wasn't a lie anymore, for in shogi he found some very good friends; he also learned how to open up his heart again to the warmth of a house and a family that truly cared for him.

3-gatsu no Lion was a beautiful story of how Rei got to grow into a finer and warmer human being. The animation was pretty good, quite artistic, and the music (soundtrack, opening and ending sequences) was really enjoyable. There is nothing I didn't like, even the antagonists were great. I'll wait with great expectations a new season in the future.
Mar 18, 2017 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
I'm thrilled that this show is getting a second season, and I knew that, no matter what, this season wouldn't have had a nicely wrapped-up final episode in any event.......BUT. Having this final episode and not even including the sisters is a huge disappointment. What happened after that final bit in episode 21??? It looked like a big deal, especially with Hina, and then it just disappears.

I thought this was a pretty weak ending. I love the story but I think this episode was flat out dull.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

158 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 12:31 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

191 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:12 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:06 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

91 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 3:44 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

162 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 1:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.