Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2015 11:50 AM

Jul 2014

Main character strips.

Stfu, case closed.
rodacOct 4, 2015 2:00 AM
"Hi!"
Oct 3, 2015 11:51 AM
Dec 2011
Just wait for the 4th episode, some of the main cast said in an event last week to look forward to it. I know what's going to happen in that episode and it is something to look forward to since something big starts there.
Oct 3, 2015 11:54 AM

Apr 2014
I never said it was good, calm down.
It's more of a guilty pleasure thing for me. I know it's terrible and unoriginal, but I like Stella and find her adorable, and their relationship is cute.
But yeah, this show isn't going to be anything amazing. But with Oonuma's direction, it's at least going to look pretty.
rodacOct 4, 2015 2:01 AM
Oct 3, 2015 11:57 AM

Apr 2012
Mentar said:

He's neither overpowered (you'll see - he is no Tatsuya) nor victimized by the system. He won a victory since Stella went in blind and limited herself.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's see if it pays off.

Mentar said:

You're calling Stella ultra-conservative while she is mounting the MC and feeling him up? You're joking, right?

I am not. The context and way she's acting both before and after, as well as ranting about "before marriage" is ultra-conservative, or at least conservative.

Mentar said:

You'll want to watch a bit more of her. She is indeed not a typical tsundere.

We'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mentar said:
Yes, several, as you will see. If you want cliche, look at the smart alecks who manage to size up a show in 20 minutes for an inaccurate scorndump.

For being cliche, generic and extremely bland (though the action does look nice, I'll give it that much)? Can't say I blame them, this is a pretty terrible first impression.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Oct 3, 2015 11:57 AM

Oct 2014
YEEART said:
AOTS right here lads.

Edit: While indeed it wasn't that different from Gakusen Toshi Asterisk(I have no clue about it only that which i've seen from the first episode) i can atleast tell you that Rakudai is NOT your typical swordfight+magic abilities+school show with a generic MC i'll only say that Stella is not. Ikki.. well he's not the first underdog.
If you chose to continue this it's up to one self to determine.

Also AOTS=Owarimonogatari

Edit 2: woops mentioned something about Rakudai which i shouldnt i hope i didnt spoil anyone..
also we have yet so see Sakurako -san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru debut later next week
nkdfxsOct 3, 2015 3:27 PM
Oct 3, 2015 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
It's hard to come up with anything really original nowadays which hasn't been done before. Frankly, it's pretty ridiculous to come in whining about cliche and unoriginality, because you can do this with every single genre. Be it shounen, mecha, romance, you name it. All of them come with their standard tropes, so what's the point in picking a genre you dislike and whine about them?

Rakudai will not win the originality cup, but it does a few things very well. It has likable characters and (something that is literally unheard of) fast, real and lasting romance development between the MCs.

So, if you dislike the genre in general, there's the door, good riddance. For those who like it, the Ikki/Stella antics will be a breath of fresh air.

(added)
Sushiiawesome: Again. She mounted the MC while he was out and felt him up. I don't want to spoil anything, but calling her "conservative" is hilariously off. You'll see.
Oct 3, 2015 12:02 PM

Dec 2014
Ok first episode. :)

I don't like the song though.

I'll rewatch this if this series get subs. :)
Oct 3, 2015 12:07 PM

Jan 2015
Aaah...my head. A lot of spoilers in this thread.
Oct 3, 2015 12:09 PM

Nov 2013
Where are the subs and this already has 60+ replies
Oct 3, 2015 12:09 PM

Apr 2012
Mentar said:
It's hard to come up with anything really original nowadays which hasn't been done before. Frankly, it's pretty ridiculous to come in whining about cliche and unoriginality, because you can do this with every single genre. Be it shounen, mecha, romance, you name it. All of them come with their standard tropes, so what's the point in picking a genre you dislike and whine about them?

Rakudai will not win the originality cup, but it does a few things very well. It has likable characters and (something that is literally unheard of) fast, real and lasting romance development between the MCs.

So, if you dislike the genre in general, there's the door, good riddance. For those who like it, the Ikki/Stella antics will be a breath of fresh air.

(added)
Sushiiawesome: Again. She mounted the MC while he was out and felt him up. I don't want to spoil anything, but calling her "conservative" is hilariously off. You'll see.

OK, I'll see.

And I can assure you that I can care less if something is unoriginal so long as it's done well. Oregairu, for example, has many cliches, but manages to deliver a satisfying drama (in the second season, which I adored), and is personally extremely enjoyable.

Cliches and tropes don't bother me as long as the execution is different. That's all there is to it. The first episode I saw felt like the author was literally ticking down on a list of what cliches to put next, nothing felt original or inspired and the best words I can use to describe it was...empty. It was devoid of energy or passion, and nothing stood out aside from the action.

But you know what, I admire your honesty in saying that it isn't that original. That right there convinced me to lower my expectations. We'll see how it ends up.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Oct 3, 2015 12:17 PM

Feb 2015
Stark700 said:

----------------------------------------
I think I saw some deja vu...today.

MC sees the girl (Stella) half dressed accidentally.

Yup , that's what i feel too. (if you know what i mean :D)
The action scene was , okay i guess. i like the way they fighting. think gonna enjoy this one. And there were many comedy for the first episode, like it.

and by the way, is the MC girl is a pervert ?
YizelTroOct 3, 2015 12:21 PM
Oct 3, 2015 12:23 PM

Jan 2009
Sushiiawesome: When I heard that Rakudai was scheduled for animation, I already knew exactly how this would play out ;) (and wrote it down)

1) The usual echo chamber of anime critics will dismiss it as crappy cliche unoriginal LN harem

2) The fans of the show (Rakudai has a considerable fanbase) will concentrate on the fact that it is not a harem.

3) After episode 1, the critics will scream bloody murder "told you so".

4) Over the next episodes, with the critics mostly gone, the remaining people will be able to enjoy things mostly undisturbed.

Realistically, this is a small standard setting of swords+magic highschool. What makes the show dear to me are primarily Stella (who is very different to fire-users like Shana, Louise or Claire Rouge), Ikki (who is absolutely not Tatsuya and refreshingly straight-forward in pursuing his romantic interest) and their development.

Who is interested in this kind of stuff: A-rate recommendation from me. If you're not: Don't expect the next Oregairu.
Oct 3, 2015 12:46 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Yes, this was pretty nice. The main duo is likable, even though she is being a tsundere right now. I liked the ''box'' thing. Probably the second best after Young Black Jack so far.
Oct 3, 2015 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
It was a good first episode.

Ikki is one impressive knight and won against Stella so easily.
Oct 3, 2015 12:50 PM

Dec 2014
Loved it. i hope they dont ruin it.
Loved the ending.
is it just me or it's a little similar to asterisk ??
doruk-kunOct 3, 2015 12:59 PM
Oct 3, 2015 12:55 PM
Feb 2015
This should be a nice anime! Stella has to be obedient to the mc now lmao. But he was somewhat of a badass during the fight. It would be cool if he had magic powers too but this works as well
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Oct 3, 2015 12:57 PM

Aug 2008
I'll be damned, it was actually enjoyable. This is the first title in this season that makes me want to watch another episode. There's enough twist to the leads to make it somewhat interesting. It wasn't as cliche as Asterisk, it wasn't just pure shit like Lances, it wasn't completely bland like Noragami and there was no info dump that would make you slit someone's throat just to go through it like in HE. I pretty sure it won't be a great series but at least might provide some entertainment, which is a lot considering how bad the whole fall season is looking.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 3, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2012
Finally! Geez waiting for subs on this each week's gonna be a huge pain in the ass...thanks Hulu...

Anyway I pretty much have the same feelings as the few manga chapters of this I read a few months back. I mostly feel sorry for Stella being pretty much humiliated, twice, by Ikki. While the second was mostly her fault, I feel like she's at least partially played by the Director intentionally withholding information on Ikki. And it certainly wasn't her fault he saw her in her undies. At least his initial attempt to make amends was funny enough. And she's clearly smitten with him by the episode's end so it matters little in the end. Hopefully she can be a badass from now on now that her plot-required loss to the MC has come and gone. I'd enjoy that more...
Oct 3, 2015 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
I thank the gods this isn't a harem like the other one that resembles this.
rodacOct 4, 2015 2:04 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2015 1:06 PM

Nov 2014
okay episode, generic tsundere stella
Hi there
Oct 3, 2015 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
start off like asterisk, but I read this manga so I know they're totally different
great art and animation, good job silver link
just seeing Stella being animated... hnnnnnnnng
Oct 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
Is it going to be a reverse Zero no Tsukaima? MC got the master role.
Oct 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
This was decent I guess, of course it had a handful of cliches that have been done elsewhere (but it's so hard to be completely original nowadays, what DOESN'T have at least one cliche?), but I'll certainly keep watching. Despite its problems, I did enjoy Stella and Ikki's fight even though the result was predictable.

Literally like half of this forum is people saying to give it a few more episodes because that's when this will show that it isn't like the others. We get it people.......
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 3, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2015
Kind of entertaining, though pretty trashy. IDK if this'll be good. Pretty funny at the beginning.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 3, 2015 1:12 PM

May 2013

>delete first episode
>put rakudai in dropped
>stop posting your salty salt on mal'

Do these and everyone will be happy, you are acting like a spoiled kid that his mother forced him to watch a show,drop it, its that simple. I dont get why mal users just keep watching anime they call shit in every single episode discussion instead of dropping them, how much time u got in your hands and how much thirsty for attention are you seriously.
rodacOct 4, 2015 2:04 AM
Oct 3, 2015 1:14 PM

Mar 2012
Finally subbed. I like how they place cameo watching Ikki and Stella match. I'm also like animation of Stella drawing Laevantein. The minus in this episode is some music used on comedic moment.

Another thing ED is so good. Black and white increase the visual effect. Song that are used is fit too better than when it put on the PV.

Now lest start week by week waiting for the awesome romance to bloom and couple to bond.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 3, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
After watching Asterix, why does every show have to start with a big battle resulting in the main lead coming out on top. The fact that he gets wasted on one single move was funny, I still expect greater things later on.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 3, 2015 1:16 PM

May 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Finally subbed. I like how they place cameo watching Ikki and Stella match. I'm also like animation of Stella drawing Laevantein. The minus in this episode is some music used on comedic moment.

Another thing ED is so good. Black and white increase the visual effect. Song that are used is fit too better than when it put on the PV.

Now lest start week by week waiting for the awesome romance to bloom and couple to bond.

It's the opening, ending is done by ALI project so yea. I like how much blood they show cause every battle from now on will be really bloody
Oct 3, 2015 1:17 PM

Sep 2010
Hahahahaha... didn't I just watch the exactly same thing few hours ago. I couldn't help but laugh when the same exact scenes kept on appearing.

All in all I liked Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry much better than Asterix. I respect the series that once they decide to add fanservice they give it for both genders. In this episode it kind of felt that there was even more Protagonist fanservice rather than that of heroine, whose pure fanservice scene was only the beginning.

So comparing it to Asterix even more, Protagonist gives me the better vibe, as he doesn't go embarrassed like a little kid just by seeing the female in underwear before him and then he does not blush every single time he comes in contact with her. Although that, he is consider weakling while in truth he is the overpowered... this plots kind of hurts. Why couldn't he simply be a normal average dude with normal average talent? Oh well, I have been through that before and it doesn't bother me.

The other character we are introduced to, the director... she wasn't used for fan service and no she won't be joining the protagonist harem from the look of it, so that's also for the plus.

Heroine... well Stella is kind of lacking in my opinion but she kind of grow on me in that Protagonist fanservice scene and the fact that that scene didn't end up more stupid as it did, (as it is usually the case) tells me that I will be able to stomach this series fanservice quite well.

All in all, though, the plot didn't interest me that much as it is yet again the usual student battles in LN but I will give it a chance and right now, it does look better than Asterix at the very least.
Oct 3, 2015 1:20 PM
Jun 2014
If the show keeps its focus on the main pair + action scenes and doesn't become your typical harem, this is gonna be great! the animation quality was awesome.
Oct 3, 2015 1:20 PM

May 2013
eso18 said:
Hahahahaha... didn't I just watch the exactly same thing few hours ago. I couldn't help but laugh when the same exact scenes kept on appearing.

All in all I liked Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry much better than Asterix. I respect the series that once they decide to add fanservice they give it for both genders. In this episode it kind of felt that there was even more Protagonist fanservice rather than that of heroine, whose pure fanservice scene was only the beginning.

So comparing it to Asterix even more, Protagonist gives me the better vibe, as he doesn't go embarrassed like a little kid just by seeing the female in underwear before him and then he does not blush every single time he comes in contact with her. Although that, he is consider weakling while in truth he is the overpowered... this plots kind of hurts. Why couldn't he simply be a normal average dude with normal average talent? Oh well, I have been through that before and it doesn't bother me.

The other character we are introduced to, the director... she wasn't used for fan service and no she won't be joining the protagonist harem from the look of it, so that's also for the plus.

Heroine... well Stella is kind of lacking in my opinion but she kind of grow on me in that Protagonist fanservice scene and the fact that that scene didn't end up more stupid as it did, (as it is usually the case) tells me that I will be able to stomach this series fanservice quite well.

All in all, though, the plot didn't interest me that much as it is yet again the usual student battles in LN but I will give it a chance and right now, it does look better than Asterix at the very least.

There is barely any fanservice involved after episode 1 tho, unlike asterix that is FOCUSED on fanservice.
Oct 3, 2015 1:23 PM

Feb 2014
This was 10/10 perfect. Best new anime of this season. Animation, special effects, characters all perfect. Stella is waifu material. AOTS so far.
Oct 3, 2015 1:24 PM

Sep 2013
Not bad. Will keep watching. Looks like this MC has balls
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Oct 3, 2015 1:26 PM

Jan 2008
This show is essentially Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, but with swords instead of guns.
Oct 3, 2015 1:28 PM
Aug 2012
JudeMaxwell said:
There is barely any fanservice involved after episode 1 tho, unlike asterix that is FOCUSED on fanservice.

As a fan of both LNs, it really saddens me to see people posting false/wrong information.

Oct 3, 2015 1:31 PM

Feb 2015

Accidental walk in right at the start of the episode. Nice.

So Ikki is actually strong. I'm glad our MC has a pair of balls.

SchwingBonerOct 3, 2015 1:39 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2015 1:33 PM

Aug 2013
4/5 good start

The animation and sound are very good and the fight was great.

I read the VN and I would have liked some details that the novel explains. I hope that they will explain those things on the next episodes. Anyway the adaptation was very good.
Oct 3, 2015 1:34 PM

Jan 2009
The only thing i dislike from this episode was stella's underwear. No single girl would wear that.
Oct 3, 2015 1:35 PM

Jul 2014
If I didn't already know how it'd end, I'd drop this almost as fast as Asterisk War.
So far, so good.

eso18 said:
Asterix

Asterisk

ffs

This is Asterix
Oct 3, 2015 1:36 PM

Jul 2010
As what other posters have said, I agree that it's generic with all the tropes. But even so, it's somehow enjoyable and made me read the manga all the way to the latest chapter, in raw.

I'd say that this series reminds me a lot of Index.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Oct 3, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2014
mikoto_ssu said:
are the subs out yet?

yes.

They got some mistakes though.
Grey-ZoneOct 3, 2015 1:42 PM
Oct 3, 2015 1:42 PM

Jul 2012
Oh god, of course she had to be a tsundere right? I should've expected.. Well, it seems like she might actually improve compared to other tsunderes so I hope that's the case. The MC isn't a pushover neither so that's pretty good too.

That aside, pretty nice first episode, I don't really care about generic tropes to some extent and this one seems fine to me. I'm expecting pretty good things from this.
Oct 3, 2015 1:43 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I swear I've seen this episode already today!. Well this > Gakusen so far. But the art for the other one was better.
Oct 3, 2015 1:46 PM
Oct 3, 2015 1:48 PM

May 2013
You filthy secondaries should read the source before blasting over the masterpiece that is Cavalry. 1/10 for this episode because it diverged from the novel.
Oct 3, 2015 1:55 PM

Jun 2013
Looks good.
Ikki = manlier version of Ichika
Oct 3, 2015 1:56 PM

Dec 2013
Kokko said:
You filthy secondaries should read the source before blasting over the masterpiece that is Cavalry. 1/10 for this episode because it diverged from the novel.

What were the divergencies?
Oct 3, 2015 1:58 PM

Jul 2010
Kokko said:

It's pretty close to the manga though o.o
I shall go read the novel now to see what you mean.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Oct 3, 2015 1:58 PM

May 2013
robis798 said:
Kokko said:

Half of the episode should have been set in the headmaster's room but the anime director arrogantly decided to have the characters also talk outside of it. It ruined the setup for Ikki's and Stella's coming arcs. Disgusting.
Oct 3, 2015 2:02 PM

Oct 2014
Kokko said:
robis798 said:

Half of the episode should have been set in the headmaster's room but the anime director arrogantly decided to have the characters also talk outside of it. It ruined the setup for Ikki's and Stella's coming arcs. Disgusting.

They see me trollin' --- they hatin'
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

481 by bakakisima »»
Mar 25, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

339 by bakakisima »»
Mar 25, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

209 by bakakisima »»
Mar 25, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

223 by bakakisima »»
Mar 24, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

190 by bakakisima »»
Mar 24, 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.