Forum Settings
Forums

Do you start watching an anime based on its rating? Or after reading the synopsis?

New
Do you start watching an anime based on its rating? Or after reading the synopsis?
Dec 30, 2020 9:39 PM
Oct 2018
That is it. I find that many anime which are rated low (between 6-7 rating) are sometimes good. Normally, I would start watching an anime based on the rating posted on MAL/ AL. Strangely it feels wrong.

What about you?

If you watch an anime knowing that it is rated low, does watching it change your opinion/rating about it? Or does it resonate with the already established rating on ?
Dec 30, 2020 9:41 PM

Apr 2020
Watching randomly. I have no idea what Steins;Gate is about but from what I've seen so far, I love it.

beep boop bop pow
Dec 30, 2020 9:42 PM

May 2016
My order of priority:

1. Director/Producer. If it's by someone I know and love, that gives it more of a boost than anything else.
2. Studio. There are some studios I can trust to prioritize quality, so I'm already inclined to patronize them.
3. Art style. If it's got an art style I immediately like, my chances of checking it out skyrocket.
4. Synopsis. Does it have an intriguing premise? Because that's a good way to catch my attention.
5. Rating. This has a 9.2 average?! Yeesh. I'd better get on the train, then.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 30, 2020 9:43 PM

Apr 2020
who there has a character that i will like

but i watched one piece just because i didnt know anything about it and i wanted to see for it myself

stayed for zoro THOOOOO 😳😳😳

if an anime has a rating below 6, unless its popular, i just go find a better anime i can spend my time on until i get back to it (which is never)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2020 9:44 PM

Jul 2020
Neither.I just choose randomly only to watch for seasonals.If I want to watch anime which aired in previous seasons then I check the ratings because I don't have that much time nowadays.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 30, 2020 11:38 PM
May 2020
Neither, and hope that i pick a right anime i won't drop.
Dec 30, 2020 11:41 PM
Jul 2018
combination of rating, and synopsis popularity too sometimes. synopsis would probably be the biggest factor though
Dec 30, 2020 11:48 PM
Apr 2020
Zelkiiro said:
My order of priority:

1. Director/Producer. If it's by someone I know and love, that gives it more of a boost than anything else.
2. Studio. There are some studios I can trust to prioritize quality, so I'm already inclined to patronize them.
3. Art style. If it's got an art style I immediately like, my chances of checking it out skyrocket.
4. Synopsis. Does it have an intriguing premise? Because that's a good way to catch my attention.
5. Rating. This has a 9.2 average?! Yeesh. I'd better get on the train, then.

^My opinion except for points 4 and 5
Dec 31, 2020 12:35 AM

Jan 2010
Light098 said:
That is it. I find that many anime which are rated low (between 6-7 rating) are sometimes good. Normally, I would start watching an anime based on the rating posted on MAL/ AL. Strangely it feels wrong.

What about you?

If you watch an anime knowing that it is rated low, does watching it change your opinion/rating about it? Or does it resonate with the already established rating on ?

Neither.
I'm way too picky to choose anime only from plot or rating.
I have a lot of turn offs. So I did some research first usually.

and rating doesn't affect anything. It is only a number that indicate what majority of mal thinks about the anime, that's all.
Dec 31, 2020 12:40 AM
Jun 2017
Neither. Ratings don't say much when the popular opinion isn't necessarily the right one and premise is nothing without good execution. If there was any overlying factors that convinced me to view a work, it was either by pure happenstance or through what a trusted reviewer had to say about it.
Dec 31, 2020 12:55 AM

Jul 2020
Sometimes the synopsis are just so badly written.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39790/Adachi_to_Shimamura?q=adachi&cat=anime
It doesn't tell anything about the story at all.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 31, 2020 1:02 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
I always check the synopsis first. If it has no MAL Rewrite synopsis, I'd go for it immediately.
Dec 31, 2020 3:21 AM

Feb 2019
Average ratings are at best arbitrary and more often just plain wrong. Only the synopsis is actually pertinent to draw an impression from.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Dec 31, 2020 3:22 AM

Apr 2020
not its rating but its popularity
i tend to avoid those with magical elements

Dec 31, 2020 3:42 AM

Apr 2020
Rating, I rarely read synopsis and I usually pick according to ratings. But sometimes I randomly pick.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2020 3:47 AM

Oct 2020
Synopsis. Sometimes rating comes into factor though. I don't care if the rating is between 6 - 10, but if the rating is too low, I would definitely consider that.
Dec 31, 2020 4:18 AM

Sep 2018
I look at poster and art style. Also the year it was aired, I don't have problem with old manga but old anime don't have good sound quality.
Dec 31, 2020 4:23 AM

Dec 2020
I read through synopsis to see if I'm interested, I'll also read reviews sometimes for better details if synopsis can't make me decide if it will be interesting, even with minor spoilers that's fine to me.
Dec 31, 2020 4:38 AM

May 2020
Uhmmmmm excuse me how about both???
Dec 31, 2020 4:47 AM

Jun 2019
I don't care about score that much. I just watch whenever you like or caught my attention....
Dec 31, 2020 4:48 AM

Sep 2015
I've started them for watching the OP in a YouTube video, for the title and for whatever reason you can imagine but NEVER because of synopsis (can be poorly written and be misleading) or the ratings (fandoms and haters are just as stupid).

And I try to never, EVER, watch what CrunchyRoll talks about, like Onyx thing tight now, those usually suck.
Dec 31, 2020 4:55 AM

Jun 2019
I don't watch any anime that has score under 7.3
Dec 31, 2020 4:55 AM

Jun 2010
Never really look at the ratings. It's mainly the synopsis and the cover and maybe some furhter pictures/key art to get an impression of the style and what it could be about. And if that catches my interest - I'll watch it or mark it down for when I'm in the mood for a title like that.
Dec 31, 2020 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
MAL ratings are definitely not consistent for me, especially with older anime mostly rated as 6 or 7 when they deserve so much more appreciation. I usually stick to watching my favorite producers' adaptations and it works.
Dec 31, 2020 5:02 AM
May 2019
Plot Synopsis
Artstyle
Studio
Also do some extra research
Rating (if it's below then 6 I won't watch it)
Dec 31, 2020 5:09 AM

May 2013
Who takes ratings seriously anymore? Everything gets 7+ nowadays, it's a worthless metric. I decide based on tags, plot synopsis, and art style. Sometimes I'll also read what other people have to say, but since it's usually either overhyping or straight trashing, I do this less and less.
Dec 31, 2020 5:12 AM

Jan 2017
My mentality, how I pick anime:

1) Does the synopsis sound interesting? [Yes -> Proceed to A2) | No -> Proceed to B2)]

A2) Has it already started airing? [Yes -> Proceed to A3) | No -> Proceed to B3)]

B2) Is it popular or has high rating? [Yes -> Proceed to A2) ] No -> Not watching]

A3) I watch some clips on Youtube of the show. Does it spark interest or has a certain quality? It is ... [Interesting -> Watch| High quality but meh interesting -> If I'm bored watch | Uninteresting -> Not watching | Utter Garbage -> trashwatch]

B3) I watch PVs and trailer. Does it spark interest or has a certain quality? It is ... [Interesting -> PTW | High quality but meh interesting -> If I'm bored watch | Uninteresting -> Not watching | Utter Garbage -> PTW as trashwatch]
MandarBloodeagleDec 31, 2020 8:29 AM
Dec 31, 2020 5:14 AM

Oct 2010
synopsis, then character design, I look at the staff too and I run away if it says ikuhara and yuasa (not always though). I read some reviews but some paragraphs, I go to the forum page to see some impressions (rarely)
Dec 31, 2020 5:18 AM

Feb 2020
Always Synopsis... although they can be wrong at times *Cough! Rail Romanesque Cough! Cough!* I don't trust Ratings tbh...
Dec 31, 2020 5:20 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty old question that I've already replied before in these forums, but clearly Neither (if anything is funny that not considering the beyond useless MAL score or the synopsis already makes it a random pick according to those poll options).

I might consider:
› The staff that works in the anime (some people might say the studio but that only gives you a rough approximate of the people that might be involved and/or the budget they might have)
› What it is adapting if it isn't an anime original
› The genres in conjunction with its premise/synopsis
› The year of release
› Even the cover image (or more specifically character designs, etc., although that might be included in the staff bit already by picking series where certain designers or even background artists worked on).
› Probably check some friend scores, by knowing some preferences of them I can weight up or down if they enjoyed said series or not. Much less vague than the MAL average

As an example I remember I watched Fantastic Children because Origa sang its ED. Even something so simple and potentially unrelated to the anime itself is better than considering the MAL average.
Dec 31, 2020 5:30 AM

Sep 2018
Light098 said:

When you say that there are a lot of good anime rated low, you have to take into account that the anime in the 6.00-7.99 range are about 7600. Even if only 2% of those were good, they would still be more than all the entries rated above 8.50.

Another important aspect no one mentioned yet is the author of the source material. Only the author of Liar Game could have made something a sports manga like One Outs, for example.
Dec 31, 2020 5:31 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Either randomly or after reading the synopsis. The rating doesn't matter at all as I've found a lot of high rated crappy anime and low rated decent/pretty good anime.
Dec 31, 2020 7:09 AM

Aug 2010
Kind of randomly, but the tags/genre are the deal breaker. If there's a tag I don't like, I will avoid it until more research or recommendations that can convice me to watch it.
Dec 31, 2020 7:26 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Synopsis first, always, otherwise there would be so many enjoyable anime I would miss considering MAL's sometimes trashy taste.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 31, 2020 7:44 AM
Master

Sep 2012
I rarely check out the rating, I just watch an anime randomly...
Sometimes I even watch an anime just because my favorit Seiyuu is voicing an Character, or because I just feel like watching it. I do read the synopsis, but I don't skip an anime because the synopsis isn's appealing me. There are just as you said, quite alot of Anime that are really good but rated "lower" just because they never get the hype they deserved.

And also, this is the main reason why I love seasonal Anime, there are not really people who rate it yet, and also at the beginning the rating is almost diffrent than as the Anime ends. I watch roughly 20 Anime each season from the seasonals, and in addition to this if I have enough time I check out some older Anime, based on how I currently feel like. Because I don't want to miss an Anime that might be in my eyes a Masterpiece, but others might think eeewww... Please give me back my time I've wasted watching it.

I did try looking for the pattern how I choose to watch an anime, but I gave up xDD Do I like the Visual/Design? Yes? than why not watch it... Do I like the Opening? Yes? Than why not watch it... Is a practicular Voice actor voicing an Characters? Hell yes I'm gonna watch the Anime!! Is it a genre I love? THAN WATCH IT.
Sometimes it's enough for me to see either a Meme or short Video from an Anime that catch my interess and I am gonna watch the Anime, not matter the rest :D

Last but not least, I am sorry for any spelling errors. m(-.-)m
Dec 31, 2020 7:48 AM

May 2019
For finished shows, I first check the cover photo, then the number of eps, and then the genre.

When it comes to ratings, I just click the stats page and check the ratings of my trustworthy MAL friends with a similar taste to me. Better if they have written a review (but they rarely do).

Then I dive right in without checking the synopsis or anything else.

For airing shows, I just check the cover and genre lol
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 31, 2020 7:57 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly I first look for the tags then I read the synopsis. If it interests me I look up the ratings/rewiew. If most of the reviews are 5-7, I pass.
Finally, the studio (very important) and the seiyuu cast is a break-it-or-make-it kinda deal for me.

I feel like most of the time, ratings, reviews and tags will tell me if I'll enjoy an anime. Because most of the synopsis here are really bad.
"You are not the brightest banana in the bunch, are ya kid? (...) These kids just keep getting weirder."
Dec 31, 2020 8:00 AM

Feb 2020
I always check the synopsis first. Also, if the raiting is less than 6, then I won't bother.
Dec 31, 2020 8:11 AM

Feb 2020
I watch anime based on synopsis (not always from mal, I used wikipedia too).
There are many anime whose rating has been same as mal rating and also many anime which are not. But my rating are what matter, not mal rating.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 31, 2020 8:22 AM

Feb 2019
I only watch anime randomly or genre wise
I didn't read synopsis of an anime, also i don't care about rating
Dec 31, 2020 8:25 AM

Sep 2008
I never cared about the scores and never will.
I go by director, lead artist, studio, and reccs next to some anime I liked.
if it's something entirely new I read the summary and decide if I want to pick it up
the last is finding some cool clip of the show online but it's rare.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Dec 31, 2020 8:32 AM

Apr 2020
Based on the name. If the name is cool I give it a chance.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Dec 31, 2020 8:36 AM

Nov 2016
I choose animes by trailers, genres and plot synopsis. Rest are not important for me. I tried once for one month picking only by rating instead of these 3 and it was month with the most dropped animes I ever had.
Dec 31, 2020 6:38 PM
Dec 2017
not on rating but by its synopsis and also the art and name as welel too.

Dec 31, 2020 6:48 PM

Jul 2020
I rarely go into anime knowing the synopsis. If there's an insanely high rating for an anime I would give it a look, but I normally make my PTW based on recs from friends.
Dec 31, 2020 8:36 PM

Apr 2016
Usually the synopsis. I like to have an idea of what I'm going into before I actually commit to watching.
Dec 31, 2020 8:41 PM
Dec 2020
I think there should be a "I watched someone else talk about this" option 'cause that's how I usually pick my anime to watch. Works just as well as reading the synopsis personally. ^_^

More topics from this board

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 3 hours ago

14 by JaniSIr »»
21 seconds ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

26 by GinIonSui »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character?

ZeroMajor12 - May 20

31 by Rye_the_Guy »»
11 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

123 by Gashadokur0 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you put any self-imposed restrictions onto yourself when making your favorites lists?

JKKH - Apr 13

29 by Rhae »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.