Forum Settings
Forums

Do you put any self-imposed restrictions onto yourself when making your favorites lists?

New
Apr 13, 10:16 PM

Feb 2017
Like for me I won't have more than one character from a single series in my favs. I also try to keep all of my favorite lists around the same length as eachother, though right now they aren't even and it bugs me a little. I try not to have a whole lot of favs per section either, want to be at least kinda selective though I'm considering throwing that out the window and just having like 20 favorite characters. Is there a max you can list on mal, idk?
Apr 13, 10:17 PM

Feb 2020
"Like for me I won't have more than one character from a single series in my fav"

I do exactly like this.
Apr 13, 10:18 PM

Feb 2017
oh also if a character has a really ugly picture attached to them I'm more likely to consider removing them or avoid adding them lol
Apr 13, 10:23 PM

Sep 2022
I don't limit myself to one character per series, but I do restrain myself from putting too many from the same series. I have also removed characters from my favorites if it had ay ugly picture.
Apr 13, 10:29 PM

Feb 2017
Reply to EpicO4
I don't limit myself to one character per series, but I do restrain myself from putting too many from the same series. I have also removed characters from my favorites if it had ay ugly picture.
@EpicO4 Yeah I wish mal gave you option to swap the pictures of characters for your lists, just for aesthetics sake. Legoshi, Jigen, and a number of One Piece characters were given pretty ugly pictures as their default pic.
Apr 13, 10:31 PM

May 2021
Yeah I do have some subconscious restrictions I give myself with the favorites. For example, I only have seiyuus in my People section, though I'd like to have directors and bands in there as well. I would love to have the ability to split them up into different rows.

For characters I'm the same I try to limit it to 1 character from a series. And same thing, if their picture isn't good then I'm more likely to choose someone else. Right now I'm having that dilemma with Kumiko's picture from Hibike! Euphonium. It'd be nice if we could choose from the allotted pictures on their page but not a thing at the moment.

Anime I always put the first season / entry onto my favorites even if I liked a later season / movie more than the original. I don't know why but something inside me is telling me to put the first entry there lol.
Apr 13, 10:35 PM

Feb 2017
Reply to Horizon248
Yeah I do have some subconscious restrictions I give myself with the favorites. For example, I only have seiyuus in my People section, though I'd like to have directors and bands in there as well. I would love to have the ability to split them up into different rows.

For characters I'm the same I try to limit it to 1 character from a series. And same thing, if their picture isn't good then I'm more likely to choose someone else. Right now I'm having that dilemma with Kumiko's picture from Hibike! Euphonium. It'd be nice if we could choose from the allotted pictures on their page but not a thing at the moment.

Anime I always put the first season / entry onto my favorites even if I liked a later season / movie more than the original. I don't know why but something inside me is telling me to put the first entry there lol.
"Anime I always put the first season / entry onto my favorites even if I liked a later season / movie more than the original. I don't know why but something inside me is telling me to put the first entry there lol."

Same for the most part, the only exception for me is with clannad because I liked afterstory quite a lot more. Also the fact it's called "afterstory" and not just "season 2" plays into my choice a bit too even though that's pretty silly lol.
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Apr 2010
None that I'm aware of, no.
There's probably something going on under the hood, like favourite anime and manga lists having the same length, or having an equal number of male and female favourite characters, but that wasn't done on purpose - just turned out this way.

Also the most favourites you can list on MAL is 20 if you're a supporter and 10 if you're a regular user.
Apr 14, 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, my favorite animes/mangas should have been rated at least 8 (although this minimum grade could change to 7, 9 or 10).
removed-userApr 25, 2:59 PM
Apr 14, 12:26 AM

Feb 2011
Like for me I won't have more than one character from a single series in my favs.

@JKKH This is a good filtering measure to avoid bloated lists, but sometimes I find it difficult to stick to that rule. For example, while my profile page is reserved to only one character, there is a separate list of anime characters here and recently I added three from Frieren there - her, Fern and Ubel. I like them all for entirely different reasons, so cutting two of the three wouldn't be easy.
Apr 14, 12:35 AM

Dec 2017
I try to diversify as much as possible, including but not limited to: genre and series.
Apr 14, 1:07 AM

Apr 2018
Restrictions are a part of the reason my favorites lists are so small.

I limit myself to only one representative per franchise throughout the whole thing. For example, Kero isn't in my favorite characters list because Cardcaptor Sakura is already in my favorite anime list, and Silver Diamond isn't in my favorite manga list because I put Touji in my favorite characters list instead (been considering switching this one tho).

Similarly, I won't put any specific manga by a favorite mangaka into my favorite manga list or a character voiced by a favorite seiyuu into my favorite characters list since it's a given I like that person's work.

This is because I want it to both look neat and show off many different series.
Apr 14, 1:18 AM

Jul 2017
I'm okay with putting more than one character from a single series in my favorites list. My only criteria would be that the character is an all-time favorite of mine, and has at least a decently good-looking picture.

As for favorites list length, I do think that having the same length looks the best, but I also wouldn't mind if it isn't the same length. Right now, I only have two favorite anime, and one favorite manga, and I'm totally okay with that. What matters is that I'm honest with my favorites, and that I don't go adding something that isn't a favorite of mine just to make the length look even.

And yeah, I do really wish that MAL had a function where we get to change the pictures of our favorite characters on our profile. It seems like most people want this to be implemented too.
Apr 14, 1:24 AM

Mar 2021
Technically, I could fill in the remaining spots with other anime and manga, but no. It has to feel like a favorite to be on there.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Apr 14, 5:14 AM

May 2019
Yes, my favs have to be:
1. Female
2. Main character
3. Wear bikini armor
Apr 14, 5:30 AM

Nov 2023
8 Honest rankings from Left to right and 2 garbage that I want to save the tab at the end.
Apr 14, 5:32 AM

Sep 2018
My favorite characters aren't exactly my top 10 characters: they're my favorite characters from anime & manga that aren't already in my favorites, in order to put even more series under the spotlight on my profile.
Apr 14, 5:47 AM

Aug 2016
No. There are two series that I have two favorite characters from each, I don't give a fuck, I like them. There's also unlikely for my list to change in the near future since I made my favorite characters list when I had premium, and now I don't, so I ended up with 13 characters in my list. And if I want to add a new one, I would have to erase other four characters.
Apr 14, 8:01 AM

Oct 2010
I arrange the guys in right and the chicks in the left
Apr 14, 8:10 AM

Jul 2013
I don't even waste my time listing my favorite anime shows on this forum.
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

May 2018
I don't need favorite characters. I just added a few for a joke and that's all.
In favorite anime I just added a few random from my 9s and 10s. I wouldn't bother to choose which is worse or better among them.
The only thing I took seriously is "favorite people".
Apr 14, 9:01 AM
Feb 2021
4–5 favorites at most in order to not clutter up the page.
Apr 14, 9:38 AM

Dec 2020
I try to keep to 1 character per series, but I cant decide between Kaiki and Senjougahara
Apr 14, 9:53 AM

Aug 2016
Recently i made sure to list 1 per franchise representative for the anime, the manga (which serves as anime], and characters

So not a true representation but There are not enough slots in general

Used to be no standalone movies as they're just 1 entry. And one peak season cannot be considered if the other seasons were not as good
MechKingKillbotApr 14, 9:58 AM
Apr 15, 2:05 AM
The Flawed Bliss

Dec 2021
I only keep either the anime or the source material assuming I liked both
Apr 15, 2:34 AM

Oct 2019
There is one, which you mentioned.

I don't want to have multiple characters from one series in it. So I only allow myself to pick my favourite character from one series.

Though that makes me REALLY glad that this just for anime.

One of my favourite shows is black sails, and If I had to pick between John silver and flint to save my life, I wouldn't be alive enough to type this.

but other that, it's just shit I like.

I try to be FAIR (not objective, I know some of you are allergic to that word) with my ratings, but my favourites and extended favourites? It's purely based on how much I like them
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 15, 10:46 AM

Aug 2017
One anime/manga entry per franchise, and one character per franchise.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
Apr 15, 12:17 PM

Jul 2020
Same thing as the user above

I restrict myself to only one entry per franchise if they are shows with multiple seasons, same thing with characters (only one per entry). I kind of explain this in my profile
Apr 15, 12:23 PM

Jul 2013
I don't even make favorites list on this site btw. Just saying.
May 24, 12:23 AM

Aug 2018
I hate adding characters with bland pictures with white backgrounds... like... let me pick and choose the pictures, MAL... 😭😭😭
May 25, 3:52 AM

May 2020
When I first made my list of favourites it did not contain any females, I thought that was a bit whack so I went back and dug deep to find some girls to add xD So that's atleast on restriction.

In principle I want my favourites to kinda function like how nominations work, ya know "best dialogue", "best drip" whatever. I kind of got sidetracked and didn't really go through with it by actually grouping my favourites into categories and selecting only the best from each category but that was what I wanted to do, maybe I will get around to it sometime.

I also try to not overrepresent one series, it just feels kinda boring, I like seeing a list that reminds me of the highlights from many series.
May 25, 4:12 AM

Aug 2010
Only add one entry per series, and the one I add is my favorite season/version of it.

I also try to be selective, and not have a long list. They really have to be what I feel can be an all time favorite.
May 25, 7:31 AM

Feb 2016
I add only anime to my anime favorites. I add only manga to my manga favorites. Entries that do not fit those criteria have no place among my limited slots.
その目だれの目?
May 25, 11:56 AM

Jul 2013
I don't really keep track of the anime shows that I watch tbh...
Aug 3, 6:45 AM

Jan 2018
for me a fav character is already representing favorite show so no need to add the show.
Aug 21, 9:31 PM

Jul 2024
I Like my favorite characters for who they are and I don't care about their looks or display pictures... It's not like my favorite characters are my waifus..
Mal should make a separate profile feature for displaying waifus..

More topics from this board

» Can I have the losing girl?

BerriesSan - Sep 19

24 by Lincompoop »»
2 minutes ago

» What are some frequently used plot devices used in anime/manga but are not observed a lot in real life?

Lincompoop - 1 hour ago

4 by Clarissah »»
42 minutes ago

» Best tearjerking anime in the 2020's (there are any?) ( 1 2 )

Rob7 - Jul 9

56 by Lincompoop »»
1 hour ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

47 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 hour ago

» help me find this anime from my childhood

viski252 - Yesterday

4 by viski252 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.