Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 1, 2016 3:07 AM
Nov 2015
Vesanus said:
I think it was alright. I was pretty bored by the first half and was wondering why Hal suddenly was developing all of these emotions. Really wasn't expecting that plot twist--except I was a bit suspicious at one point. How did Kurumi have those video tapes when Hal (at that point when the plot twist wasn't revealed) died on the plane? How was he being recorded?

Another thing that bothered me was how she looked in the casket. How did they even find her? Unless that was the robot in there, which is equally as odd.

6.5/10 for me. If it weren't for the plot twist, eh.

maybe that was the body they artificially prepared for the robot.
Mar 27, 2016 5:38 PM

Dec 2015
Did I just waste one hour of my life? It was supposed to be emotional, right? I couldn't feel it, though. But it was okay.
Mar 31, 2016 3:21 PM

Aug 2012
I kinda feel like the robot here because while this story was certainly well-composed (that twist was actually, there were seeds planted in my mind since Ryu meet up with Hal [& there were tons of hints that only jumped to mind but the twist still managed to hold impact & get me) & visually the series was pretty great but I just didn't get emotionally invested at all. 8/10, would've been a 7 if the twist wasn't perfectly written in & if the visuals slipped up at all.
Apr 18, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
Well that was waste of time
Apr 30, 2016 6:23 PM
Nov 2007
I saw that some time ago and animation/story was really great.
But that ending turned everything sour out of the enjoyment of this movie.
I really do hate bad twist endings.
May 13, 2016 5:20 AM
May 2016
Actually I didn't get the plot although I've watched+read this several times... Would anyone explain me???
May 15, 2016 2:35 AM
Aug 2014
Not as great as I thought it would be. The pacing was just too damn quick for any development. Plot twist was the only brief moment of entertainment.

Also I thought it was pretty funny that her dead body looked so pristine in the casket after a plane explosion....

6/10
May 28, 2016 4:44 PM

Oct 2012
It was nice enough, well animated and definitely better than Plastic memories but at the same time it kinda lost its charm after big twist in the end. I know everything should serve as kind of therapy but for him to lose another girl after losing the first one doesn't make sense. I know she was meant as means for his awakening but there would be no healing effect at all, if anything it would be even worse for him. And whole crying scene with his 'friend' felt just pathetic.

But don't get me wrong, I really liked the mood this movie set. It just it didn't really capitalize well on its overall premise and feels I felt throughout it all just vanished towards the end.

6/10

Also, what was the deal with the child, if she had any before her crash shouldn't it be around?
May 31, 2016 12:28 PM
Apr 2013
What I don't get is what happened with the debt, did the thugs decide to just forget about it? Doesn't seem likely lol...
Otherwise a nice movie, although it was full of Asian clichés I didn't get bored and there were some enjoyable moments.
Jun 7, 2016 12:41 PM

Oct 2015
well I didn't understand a **** about this movie but I sure liked it ~
Jun 14, 2016 8:24 AM

Nov 2013
excuse me while i go be emo for a while..
Aug 13, 2016 2:35 PM

Mar 2010
I didnt get it until I read the comments here lol now it makes more sense so apparantly hal was never a robot to begin with.. But so many signs were there that he is so it got very confusing -_-

I didnt understand it yet enjoyed it 7/10 if I understood it more it probably wouldve touched me and made me rate it 8 or 9
Sep 6, 2016 7:02 AM

Aug 2010
That was some twist there! Totally didn't see that coming o___o

I really like the animation and atmosphere of this movie. The animation was gorgeous especially of the surroundings and the lighting ad well, which helped create the sort of mood/atmosphere of this movie that is somehow sad and melancholic. Compliments the plot of the story which deals with the death of a loved one.

I only wish there were more conversations/dialogues and/or scenes between Kurumi and Hal of their interactions, which could have deepened that bond between and help give the story even more depth.

That part where Hal learned to let go of Kurumi was pretty interesting, although I wish we could've seen a more gradual change to him being "normal" again after that incident. From that Hal to the Hal at the end of the movie was a pretty sudden change, would've liked to see more of Hal's struggle as he comes to accept Kurumi's death gradually. It felt like the fall from the climax of the movie (revelation Kurumi is the robot) was too steep, the later part of the movie just didn't give enough punch when it could have. Pity..

Overall a pretty enjoyable movie (mostly because of the gorgeous animation), only wish it were longer (so there is time to give this movie more depth). I feel like it could've been something more, but somehow the ending felt rushed and unmemorable.
blue-ySep 6, 2016 7:07 AM
Oct 28, 2016 10:28 PM

May 2016
One thing I don't understand..
At the end , of "I hope Hal will regain the will to live" in rubik. Did Kurumi wrote that? Or the robot?
BAKAYARO!
Dec 8, 2016 6:27 AM
Jul 2016
wuxiaspear said:
i liked the message of robot wrote in cubic

What was it ? Did I miss it?
Dec 8, 2016 6:28 AM
Jul 2016
The feels, I can't
Feb 15, 2017 11:32 AM
Sep 2014
If only that shitty old man has not blew the flight @2:30 :P
And here I thought Hal's friend is to blame
Apr 3, 2017 3:41 PM

Feb 2011
Picked this up on a whim and so happy I did. Really well put together movie and that twist totally got me. So sad.

Godshand said:
One thing I don't understand..
At the end , of "I hope Hal will regain the will to live" in rubik. Did Kurumi wrote that? Or the robot?

I believe the robot wrote it. During that scene right before they went to the festival, when Hal was caught staring at "her," the robot was seen writing something on the rubik cube.
Apr 3, 2017 6:41 PM
Dec 2013
That plot twist near the end reminded me of the movie Takeru Sato starred in, called Real.
Apr 13, 2017 2:00 AM

Dec 2014
Good movie.

Started out well and it was quite enjoyable, Midway through the movie I found Hal's actions somewhat questionable with the way he was showing emotion especially when he hugs Kurumi in the room. I felt it was odd that a robot would be able to develop and show that level emotion in a fairly short time. I found it even more odd when Hal began to recall memories which I thought he should've never had and then out of nowhere, that plot twist. Damn, in that one moment everything that I was found odd made sense.

7/10, Kyuichi the real MVP.

Jun 6, 2017 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
I really like this movie, it stirred up my emotions through the time.
And that plot twist in the end. Easily 8/10
Jun 17, 2017 9:51 PM

Nov 2014
Aleiad said:
8/10 Ahhh the art and animation was so nice =v= I'm happy...

I kinda wanna hear the opinions of people who haven't read the manga prior to watching this. I wonder if this made them cry or not(or at least made them sad)?? I read the manga quite some time ago and I already knew about the "plot twist" so I didn't cry or feel that much sad.
I was pretty shocked by the plot twist, did not see that coming.
I strangely wasnt sad and didnt cry. In the beginning i already know that the boy died, so at the end when it turned out it was the girl who died, it was kinda the same to me, after all one of them is dead. I already prepared for this fact, so yeah, nope didnt feel sad or cry over it.
Or maybe im just not an emotional person.
Jun 25, 2017 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
What a nice movie, so cute and tragic at the same time.
I really wish it could have been longer so we could have seen more background characters development but yeah.

Also that final message basicly rips your heart apart.
But I loved it.
Aug 5, 2017 2:09 PM
Sep 2015
So they want us to believe that an advanced robot like that can't survive a little river?
Aug 14, 2017 8:07 PM
Jul 2015
Lulexiaa said:

oh ma. That last part was just so much and with the beautiful song accompanyment. I teared a little!

Overall good movie. I wish they elaborated more on Hal's past and such but it was otherwise enjoyable. Almost bittersweet
Aug 24, 2017 9:36 PM

Jan 2014
Me: I'm always down for robot boys!
Sibling: BUT WHAT IF IN THE END IT'S ACTUALLY THE GIRL WHO'S A ROBOT GIRL!?
Me: He probably is Hal and just lost his memories.
*watches movie together*
Both of us: HOLY FUCK
Oct 17, 2017 6:03 AM
Apr 2015
Was Hal a good movie, I mean I watched it but I'm having a hard time determining if it was good or not?
Oct 28, 2017 4:32 PM

Jan 2014
That plot twist though. It was okay, but that really kicked up it a notch.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 19, 2017 10:28 AM

Aug 2016
Wasn't the biggest fan of it to be honest, might be able to appreciate it more if I gave it a rewatch in the future some time but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Also can't get over the fact he has a passionate kiss with a robot that looks like his girlfriend that died in a plane crash while drowning in a river! Perfect.
Also not sure I really get the entire rubix cube thing they flooded the entire movie with but okaayy.

Still probably give it a 6 or 7/10 though so there's that.
Dec 2, 2017 3:13 AM

Jan 2013
I didnt expect that twist. it really turned the movie around and made it worth watching. 8/10

Animation was prety to look at too
Dec 4, 2017 7:39 AM

Apr 2012
Mother of plot twist. o.O I'm SHOOK.
Sep 24, 2018 6:03 PM

May 2016
I really liked this. The way I understood the androids/robot Kurumi was that as the old man said to Hal; they're really just meant to "watch" and their main purpose for people like Hal is to help them through, more than anything, the guilt that comes with such grief. And I really think this was quite masterfully done in the film, or at least done in a creative way... Hal wasn't even fully aware of it but the guilt still came through and the android and him still slowly tackled through each of those many things he felt guilty for throughout the runtime... The argument they had and him selling Kurumi's buttons, his shortcomings in how he dealt with stuff, his lack of appreciation for the now gone present, his past controlling him, his lack of goodbye... This was all really well done, and I feel like the pacing was right for it. The android's job was never to replace, but to allow Hal to reconcile, and be a face for the faceless. The grandad's words at the end are important here, in believing the dead are still around us and looking over us. He talks to himself to talk to those who he's lost, and in this case Hal just talked to Kurumi-bot.
ZaugrSep 24, 2018 6:07 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2018 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
PurpleVespa180 said:
At first, I was against the concept of replacing your loved one with a robot, but as the film progressed it was kind of liking it. It had some interesting ideas.

But then the plot twist happened.

That twist killed this movie. It made everything beforehand make no sense whatsoever. So he became so shocked by her death that he loses his memory and thinks he's a robot? Wh... what? If the robot is suppose to help "heal" him, why did she spent most of the time cooped up in her room crying? How exactly does that help him? And robot therapy? Are you high? Wouldn't it have been easier to just make it so that he believes he's not a robot and that she's still alive, so they live a normal life. I mean, from the looks of it, the robot got her personality and memories down perfectly, and in the state he was in I'd doubt he'd notice (At least not until he finds out the truth, but that would actually lead to a much more interesting movie.) or HELL, just be straight with him, then we'd have the same movie just with the roles reversed, and then the idea of selling the robot would've been a lot more interesting. Also, seeing his loved one die traumatizes him, but seeing her die again right in front of his eyes supposedly makes him feel better? In what fuck up world does that make even a lick of sense? How the hell does any of this teach him to move on with his life?

"I hope Hal finds the will to live." After the shit he's been through, I highly doubt it.

Not to mention it's absolutely unnecessary and felt tacked on for the sake of having a plot twist. There was really no reason to have a twist of any kind in this movie. The film was better when it was telling a simple romance between a girl and a robot. And it wasn't even a surprising twist, either. The idea crossed my mind, but I didn't actually think they'd be dumb enough to actually use it.

All in all, it's an okay movie ruined by a dumb twist. I haven't read the manga so I don't know how it compares to that, but I just didn't like this movie.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The twist was about as retarded as the ones you find in shitty Lifetime movies.
Jan 5, 2019 5:13 PM

Oct 2015
This was the best until the twist.

I liked that q01 was Hal and not Kurumi, this took away the great plot it was going with. I get it, Kurumi was the one that died and not Hal, who thought he was the robot and was in denial that His girl was dead. It didn't fit well for real for Kurumi to be the real robot, it just took away the emotion that I had for the movie.

But because it had good visuals along with the enjoyment I still had I will give it an 8/10, in which by the way it doesn't deserve.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 9, 2019 5:01 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Not sure what to think about this movie overall. Of course it's animated and design even the small details of the background, gorgeous that I had to keep pausing just so I could soak it in. However that story, I'm not against it, in fact I really like lots of the elements of Hal growing up poor and the system he was raised in for money, how Kurumi origins of being a granddaughter of a kimono maker would involve herself in the craft of clothing. The technology was just the right amount and the story was believable but this story needed time. Clocking in at an hour really restrains this baby from feeling like a flourished piece of art. Instead it does feel quite rushed and not to say the romance aspect wasn't centered with the grief, it was very stable and the relationship of Kurumi and Hal before the accident really seemed legitimate but it feels like a history and life uncovering could've provided more satisfaction and made it more stunning in the long haul.

I'll even add that the twist actually surprised me. I'll have to rewatch with the knowledge of Hal being alive next time to see how well it holds.

6/10 but could lower or raise on a future viewing.
Jun 1, 2019 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
A rather painfully basic movie. This felt like it was written by a teenage girl aimed solely for teenage girls.

The dramatic scene at the end just came off childish and goofy to me. The fedora fuckboy was there just to be annoying. Hal's backstory was essentially a few seconds of nothing and a world where robots can completely pass off as people wasn't shown at all. There were robot cops or something in the brief flashback? I'm not gonna find that level of technology believable if you show nothing about the world having that capability. Most importantly, Hal being so shocked and grief stricken by the girl's death and losing grip on reality to the point that he himself believes is a robot was plain laughable. The visuals weren't good and the designs weren't my cup of tea.

2/10 I suppose.
Oct 1, 2019 12:26 AM

Jul 2016
Honestly, the world building was quite confusing (they really should have put more focus on it and its mechanic) and some moments felt really rushed but the plot twist ended up killing the movie entirely in my opinion. It felt really underwhelming and unnecessary. I mean, Hal's trauma was so deep he erased his memories and believed he was a robot all along? Eh... no. A completely nonsense if you ask me, especially when you see Kurumi, the actual robot who was supposed to help Hal in the first place, acting all sad and depressed like if she was the one who actually lost her beloved one all along.

I also didn't understand Ryuu's character at all. It feels like a lot of character development was removed but since the manga is just 5 chapters long, I'm not sure whether some info was skipped or not. And I don't care about it either so...

3/10 - It could have been way better if only the movie would have followed what the synopsis stated but sadly, it ended up being a total waste of time.

P.S.: By the way, this is just nitpicking but I still wonder, how was it even possible for them to retrieve Kurumi's body in apparently good conditions after such impressive explosion?
Jan 17, 2020 4:54 AM

May 2016
I personally would've liked it more if it remained as a sweet romance flick about a robot dude trying to cheer a bereaved girl up with the bittersweet ending being optional and without the whole messy fiasco involving Ryuu and his gang of other thugs but I'll admit that I didn't see that twist coming. I was wondering about how Kurumi's futuristic camera also happened to be the one that has a video of the crash from inside the plane but I didn't put too much mind to it.

The movie's good. I didn't cry in the end like I usually do with sad movies but it did leave me a bit sad at some parts.

Mar 4, 2020 1:57 AM

Feb 2019
I couldn't overlook the flaws in this one. The art and animation was nice tho.
Mar 28, 2020 1:49 AM

Dec 2009
4/10. Overrated. Besides the twist and emotional scene of realization this anime movie was already dull and underwhelming before the twist.
The twist was amazing and exciting but the story is too flawed.

Due to trauma, Hal, in his mind tricked himself into believing he was the robot that was replacing the deceised Hal, when in reality Kurumi was the one who died on the airplane after their argument and the robot was playing along his delusions to cope his sanity until his friend Ryuu tried to forcefully sell the robot and force him to realize that he's not the robot.
The glimpses and ideas of mystery of Hal's painful juvenile childhood and struggle in life with his childhood friend, along with the fact that Kurumi didn't truly understand and know him is interesting. The hidden messages through rubix cubes is sweet but.

... The rushed and lacking depth of the plots were poorly executed, even if they are used in hindsight.
The first impression of a slightly uneducated and clueless robot Hal pretending to be Hal is a little weird, even though I guess it makes sense later.
I don't know if I'd consider plot holes exist but. It's flawed in how forced it is.
waalex11Mar 28, 2020 1:52 AM
Apr 11, 2020 9:23 AM

Jul 2017
well i didnt expect that ending but still good and i like story too so 7/10
"Where ever you are in this world. I will always going to find you.."

"Who cares if we can't see any sunshine, I want you more than any Blue Sky.."

"I hope you'll remember me, even just a little bit.."

"Even if the world is destroyed, I still want to see your smile again.."

"I'm the one who lived my life just to meet you, just like cherry blossoms waiting for the spring.."

Aug 14, 2020 2:10 AM

Jun 2020
that was so sad ༼ಢ_ಢ༽

i can only imagine the pain he felt & being so disapproving with what she loved to do with her buttons and crafts & that was the last fight they ever had. the ending with him running the store in her memory was so beautiful, but so sad i burst into tears

is there a live action film for this? if not i could totally see this as a live action film, especially that last scene it sort of came to "life" in my head

what 'she' wrote on the cube was so sad "may hal remember what it's like to live"

the art was beautiful. and that ED ༼ಢ_ಢ༽༼ಢ_ಢ༽༼ಢ_ಢ༽༼ಢ_ಢ༽

whatever the emotions in managed to evoke in me, it does feel kinda rushed. this would have been better as a series/few parts

this reminded me of black mirror's be right back clearly with different themes but also about grief

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 9, 2020 8:49 PM
Apr 2016
Why would he think he's a robot? That just makes no sense to me. That aside, a fun movie.
Nov 11, 2020 12:11 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, that plot twist was quite something. No wonder why something kept feeling a little off for a good while. But, to be honest, mixed feelings is the best description of my experience.

Maybe I need a re-watch and I reckon the premise of the Movie alone is worthy to warrant that so I'll see what I can do.

For the time being though, very good visual quality, enticing premise and heck of a plot twist but the pacing and execution poor.

Also, I love Mamoru Miyano but I think the Movie would've been better off without his character...

6/10 from here.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 21, 2020 4:35 PM

Jun 2017
The twist is what I only like about this movie. I didn't see it coming but I actually did wonder when Haru started bleeding. In toto, it's an average movie imo.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Feb 10, 2021 6:09 PM

May 2015
BISH I WAS EXPECTING THIS WTH when Hal started bleeding was like 'wait but androids dont bleed' and then it hit me. and then we saw it.

and then i cried lol
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Apr 10, 2021 6:56 AM

Dec 2012
The big twist was a real sucker punch. No wonder why it seemed strange that Haru was so easy to pick up on emotions while Kurumi seemed far more awkward and subdued. This experience was completely redefined as it sank in and hit the heart like a ton of bricks. What started as a seemingly easygoing healing story became a gripping tale of coming to terms with those lingering regrets. It was really heartwrenching to see Haru in the shop by himself at the end. While painful, there's a bittersweet satisfaction knowing that he chose to live a modest life that Kurumi was hoping for. A life of simplicity & contentment with what he has. Or rather, what remains - the memories and wishes inscribed by Kurumi that were left behind.

8/10
Jul 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Dec 2020
not gonna lie this was kinda..... wack. a lot of the lines just looked like they Wanted it to sound cool but failed. the movie wasn't Bad but i dont think it was anything good either. it felt like i was watching a 12 ep show and skipped some episodes, didnt really feel like a movie to me idk why. maybe because it was short? hotarubi no mori e was shorter but i still enjoyed it idk im so confused on why i didnt enjoy this lol. i didnt let out a single "Aww" or "noo!!!" which i often do to literally everything iM SO CONFUSED???

twist really got me tho i just :OOOO
Aug 14, 2021 12:15 AM
Jul 2021
I never thought that such a HUGE plot-twist awaits me near the end. I expected it as a healing anime and nothing more before watching it. But I was amazed by that plot-twist. Towards the ending, I started to think that it's gonna be an I, Robot x Titanic mashup, nothing more. But, it honestly surprised me.
Aug 22, 2021 5:41 AM

Feb 2019
Quite decent. Animation was pretty nice. But that plot twist caught me completely off guard, but in hindsight a lot of the things that happened before it made more sense now. The foreshadowing which I did not see was pretty nice.

I think the characterisation weren't as good. I couldn't fully invest myself into the character, but it was still pretty decent. I felt a bit sad when the plot twist happened, but it was more shock.

6/10.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Worth watching?

adityasingh2705 - Jul 14, 2021

7 by wiiztec »»
Apr 25, 2023 3:52 AM

» Plot twist [Spoler]

Allen_014 - Aug 12, 2021

3 by SlammyHammy »»
May 19, 2022 9:10 PM

» I think I didn't understand the final, explain me please

b1GZZ - Dec 31, 2013

14 by aydentheweeb »»
Mar 7, 2021 1:07 PM

» Hal - Subbed or Dubbed?

tayssi - Mar 3, 2016

5 by JNSky »»
Dec 13, 2018 5:51 AM

» First 8 Minutes of the film is out!

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2013

16 by Lyyu »»
Nov 19, 2013 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.