Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 28, 2015 4:49 AM

Jun 2014
Did you ever stop to realize that 7s and even 6s are not even bad ratings going by mal's very own scoring system?
Aug 28, 2015 4:51 AM

Sep 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Did you ever stop to realize that 7s and even 6s are not even bad ratings going by mal's very own scoring system?

If every other generic shit has ratings around 8 then score of 6.00 is very low.
Aug 28, 2015 4:54 AM
Jun 2015
HaXXspetten said:
It's not just about art. All anime start dropping over time. If you look at the series which aired in like 2007-2011, I can guarantee that 90% of them are lower rated today than they were at the time they finished airing. Some of them continue to rise for a few years longer but every anime will eventually hit their peak and then slowly start to decline. And this is something which keeps happening more and more over time, so anime which aired 20+ years ago of course get affected by this much more so

Of course there are a lot of people which just don't like old anime because of how outdated they are, but that's not the only factor in play here

That's interesting mto pook at because most older shows are someone a lil better than some new cleshaed stuff we see and same will happen today today's things will get dropped as well.
Aug 28, 2015 4:55 AM

Jun 2014
Imaishi said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

If every other generic shit has ratings around 8 then score of 6.00 is very low.

Let's blame the new fans then! Logically speaking, it must be the reason old animu is rated poorly! Actually, why do so many people get annoyed by ratings on mal? It is simply a number.
Aug 28, 2015 4:58 AM

Dec 2012
Because people like to be prima donnas :P
Aug 28, 2015 5:02 AM

Oct 2010
Aside from the above mentioned, you have to take into account the lack of a hype train that would help on keeping a consistantly high rating, and the lesser exposure, which means less votes and a bigger effect on the average.
Aug 28, 2015 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
I guess the word "hype" associated with newer shows plays a big part in rankings because that definitely gives more exposure to the audience
Aug 28, 2015 5:09 AM

May 2013
Dopu said:
New anime fans often get into anime because of the popular "modern" anime. Usually they'll watch a bunch of modern day stuff before eventually getting interested in/trying out some old "classics" (and because they've already watched a decent amount of anime are they also usually not the people who just fell in love with anime and who think that anime can't do anything wrong). Then you watch something old that might have been groundbreaking for its time, but after seeing a bunch of shows that were inspired by it, doesn't it seem that unique anymore. And well you can give it a slightly higher rating because people said that it was groundbreaking, but it's hard to imagine and appreciate it for how unique it was for its time if you weren't a fan when that show was airing and when you've only watched a few old anime.

Just like the art/sound/animation. If you haven't seen that many old anime you don't know if it was well made for its time. People can say that it looked great for its time, but if you have only seen 2 anime from the 1980s then you personally don't really have anything to compare it with (except modern anime).

Then some anime might have been influenced by current (for that time) world events or just some events in Japan (post WW stuff for example) and the whole message that that anime is trying to say might be lost on viewers if they're from a later generation and haven't researched/studied that particular era. People from a later generation may even think that all its ideas are ridiculous because they're so dated.

Lastly even most "modern" anime drop their rating drop after a few years (it might not be much, but still it drops). It's not like Madoka and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time still have an 8,91 rating or that the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya still has an 8,78 rating.

So basically, to sum it up - if you start with Cadburys, you won't enjoy Asda brand chocolate afterwards. Makes sense :)
Aug 28, 2015 5:42 AM

Nov 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

MAL system and MAL users using it are two different things. See at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1420872&show=100 with people who think like
Sonatsu said:

10:Masterpiece
9:Awesome
8:Very good
7: actually too boring to watch
6:pure disappointment/so bad that i cant believe i watch it till the end
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 28, 2015 6:06 AM

Jul 2014
Imaishi said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Furthermore, there aren't many series with a mean score of 7 or below, let alone 6 or below.
The only full length 11+ episodes series with a score below 6 is probably Glasslip.
Aug 28, 2015 6:12 AM

Dec 2012
Aria-da-Capo said:
Imaishi said:

Furthermore, there aren't many series with a mean score of 7 or below, let alone 6 or below.
The only full length 11+ episodes series with a score below 6 is probably Glasslip.

Agreed. If there's any kind of show on MAL that'll get those kinds of ratings, it'd definitely be a slice of life done bad. Or even crap like C3, Mahou Sensou and 11 eyes
Aug 28, 2015 6:13 AM

Apr 2008
Imaishi said:
People who watch older anime are usually experienced users who grew out of their 8.0 meanscore phase, hence the ratings are lower.

As someone that does watch older anime and rates critically/has a relatively low mean score, I'd say this is accurate.

Aug 28, 2015 6:18 AM

Sep 2014
I still haven't seen a good older anime with a low rating, I agree with 89 % ratings on MAL.
Aug 28, 2015 6:21 AM

Jan 2011
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Imaishi said:

Let's blame the new fans then! Logically speaking, it must be the reason old animu is rated poorly! Actually, why do so many people get annoyed by ratings on mal? It is simply a number.

Yes and it's all subjective. Let's try not to oversimplify here, those numbers clearly affect what people will watch.
Aug 28, 2015 6:30 AM

Dec 2012
Many of the older anime with lower scores have arguably earned them. I haven't noticed any particularly unfair treatment of them, there are plenty of older (pre-2000) titles within the top 1000. Many are low profile and their scores are more easily influenced by the 6s and 7s they receive as a result.
Aug 28, 2015 6:32 AM

Feb 2013
Aria-da-Capo said:
Imaishi said:

if only animeadvice was still living ;_;

anyway, there are a few more.. and i'm sure i missed some
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3772/Saiko_Robot_Kombock
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2391/SD_Gundam_Force
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2364/Virus:_Virus_Buster_Serge
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2719/MapleStory
http://myanimelist.net/anime/22225/Momo_Kyun_Sword
http://myanimelist.net/anime/21821/Fuuun_Ishin_Dai%E2%98%86Shogun
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1685/Duel_Masters
http://myanimelist.net/anime/30382/Aquarion_Logos
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1936/Misute%E2%99%A1naide_Daisy
Aug 28, 2015 6:35 AM

Mar 2010
Lack of viewers for the most part that inflate the score by using a 7-10 rating scale.

The_Deceiver said:
I agree with 89 % ratings on MAL.
Crazy, but I believe it.
Aug 28, 2015 6:53 AM

Nov 2010
Because they're generally worse than new anime. Then being longer just usually came down to more repetition, and people like to complain about nowadays anime.

Also what jal said.
IntroverTurtleAug 28, 2015 6:57 AM
Aug 28, 2015 7:26 AM
Apr 2010
Not enough cleavage and panty shots.
Aug 28, 2015 7:29 AM

Nov 2013
- because the art is dated
- Because old anime tends to have long length so it's kinda daunting for some
and
[quote=TonyTheme]Lack of viewers for the most part that inflate the score by using a 7-10 rating scale.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 28, 2015 7:56 AM
Mar 2011
there is alot of polder anime with O.00 ratings
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 28, 2015 8:00 AM

Jul 2011
People tend to watch new stuff first and give them high scores, then after a while they start to expand the things they watch.

(That it's on general before someone who only watches old stuff bashes me.)
Aug 28, 2015 8:07 AM

Feb 2008
Ckan said:
I am getting this really intense feeling of deja vu.

Aug 28, 2015 8:12 AM

Jun 2014
Disonata said:
Because the old animation technology wasn't what it is today. Now we can see animation flow a lot better and most anime nowadays are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than back then.

This is completely false, and is entirely based on your individual opinion only.

Unfortunately, not everyone on this forum goes hunting for Anime they're never heard of, and the people that do go hunting happen to be somewhat critical when it comes to scoring their Anime.

I'm not what one would call "Critical." I rate based on enjoyment, and I don't go out of my way to find problems in what I'm watching. Also keep in mind that lower ratings doesn't mean a show is bad, and what other people rate things doesn't turn me off from watching something at all.

Aug 28, 2015 8:25 AM
Feb 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apparently my rating system must be acceptable if 6/7 mean "bad" and "shit" again!

Take that MALGraph elitists!
Aug 28, 2015 8:49 AM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Because they're generally worse than new anime. Then being longer just usually came down to more repetition, and people like to complain about nowadays anime.

Do you honestly think that? Then again, seeing that the majority of older stuff you've seen are shorts and/or experimental animation, I can understand your opinion.

Anime can be good, regardless of it's age, it's all about the creativity of the staff that work on it and the budget it has. During the Bubble Japan had a lot of cash to splurge, so even the less inspiring works had really good animation and production values. Digital animation made some things easier, but works get outsourced a lot more nowadays, and the market is bigger, so many more less capable animators are hired, thus a good chunk of the shows, maybe even more than half, have average to bad animation. It doesn't have anything to do with age.

Nostalgia clouds the judgement of some people, but not seeing older stuff like Patlabor, Gunbuster, Akage no Anne or Ie Naki Ko in the top 500 or even top 1000 is embarrassing, even for MAL standards.

Aug 28, 2015 10:11 AM

Nov 2010
corwin_r said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Do you honestly think that? Then again, seeing that the majority of older stuff you've seen are shorts and/or experimental animation, I can understand your opinion.

Anime can be good, regardless of it's age, it's all about the creativity of the staff that work on it and the budget it has. During the Bubble Japan had a lot of cash to splurge, so even the less inspiring works had really good animation and production values. Digital animation made some things easier, but works get outsourced a lot more nowadays, and the market is bigger, so many more less capable animators are hired, thus a good chunk of the shows, maybe even more than half, have average to bad animation. It doesn't have anything to do with age.

Nostalgia clouds the judgement of some people, but not seeing older stuff like Patlabor, Gunbuster, Akage no Anne or Ie Naki Ko in the top 500 or even top 1000 is embarrassing, even for MAL standards.
Of course I do and just because most of what I've watched of old stuff may be shorts that doesn't mean I haven't watched my fair share of longer series. And what was in my mind when I wrote that post was the longer series mostly and not much of the shorts.

And don't just say things I and everyone else already knows, I said "generally" worse. I never said old anime couldn't be good, I even have some rated quite high(if you know about the makeup of the old anime I've watched maybe looking at the score would be helpful too), just that generally newer anime are better from what I've seen. It's just me noticing a trend with the anime I like.
Same with anime from any genre may be good but I notice that I like action more, yes quality has nothing to do with genre but that doesn't mean I can't notice a trend, it doesn't mean the amount of good quality works is equal all throughout the genres either. It's the same with age.
And pretend like the only thing I'm interested in is animation quality, when I mentioned repetition I wasn't talking about animation(though there is that too).

And that's your opinion, it's fine. I wouldn't put Gunbuster in the top 1,000.
Aug 28, 2015 10:44 AM

Feb 2008
@IntrovertTurtle
Only the first paragraph of my response was aimed at what you wrote. The rest was about the (most frequent) general complaint about older shows, as you never even wrote about animation in your post, thus me quoting you, and not referring the response to you entirely, like I do now. Art style is often confused with animation, so I wanted to get that cleared up a bit, what I wrote can be found in any insider interview on sites like ANN, and I never implied it's me who found that out on my own.

Generally worse means that good examples are actually an exception, so no, that's doesn't mean you don't dismiss older anime. You could just say that you don't prefer historical, slice of life or mecha genres, and be done with, but you dismiss decades of animation just because action anime is more your thing and disguise it as a trend. And what trend is that by the way? And repetition, heh, coming from a passionate One Piece fan.

Aug 28, 2015 10:49 AM

Aug 2014
Probably less people who watch them.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 28, 2015 10:51 AM

Jul 2011
black1blade said:
Probably less people who watch them.

But people always it's saying that Gintama have 5 spots on the the top 10 for it's small fanbase, so having less people should be positive according to that.
Aug 28, 2015 10:53 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
dboy13 said:
cause some of the art and animation is ugly af

because of this kind of people
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 28, 2015 11:03 AM

Mar 2010
Praland said:
But people always it's saying that Gintama have 5 spots on the the top 10 for it's small fanbase, so having less people should be positive according to that.
Sequels don't count - someone who doesn't like X is most likely not going to watch the second X, which makes it end up with less members who've seen it, a higher percentage of people who will love it, and a higher average.

More people have dropped Gintama than seen many revered classics.
TonyThemeAug 28, 2015 11:07 AM
Aug 28, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2013
Older series don't have low ratings, it's new series that have ratings that are too high.
Aug 28, 2015 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
DmonHiro said:
It's actually quite easy. There aren't that many people who watch older shows. Those that do are usually older fans who tend to be much more critical then most. So, they give lower scores.

This exactly.
Aug 28, 2015 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
Older shows are usually only watched by experienced fans who are generally harsher when rating.

Also more length in shows usually translates to more repetition of the same tired old formula to milk more seasons out of it, which doesn't go over well with many people. Length and quality in the same package is an extremely rare thing that only a god-tier writer can pull off with a long complex and engaging story full of twists and turns and not everyone can write like that.

In addition to that just, because something is old or good enough to finish watching doesn't mean it's great. 6s and 7s are also perfectly reasonable scores to give to something you liked.
KruszerAug 28, 2015 1:17 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 28, 2015 1:12 PM
Mar 2011
corwin_r said:
IntroverTurtle said:

most of the top 100 is a joke cuase of how the ratings systems work or how undemocraticly they work its not one vote one rating thus mal favor over al populisi over fact
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 28, 2015 1:17 PM

Dec 2012
FGAU1912 said:

most of the top 100 is a joke cuase of how the ratings systems work or how undemocraticly they work its not one vote one rating thus mal favor over al populisi over fact
That would just encourage more people to watch 5 minutes of episode 1, drop it, and give it a 1/10 and say "my opinion matters."
Aug 28, 2015 1:26 PM
Mar 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
FGAU1912 said:

That would just encourage more people to watch 5 minutes of episode 1, drop it, and give it a 1/10 and say "my opinion matters."

when i say one vote meaninf one vote that come woth 2 provosio
1 it does not count oning shows untill yiu have compplted 1/3 of episodes [ if the show has an annuced number

for show more than one season- ie 26 episodes[ ie older vsh box seasons]
whne there vote is null and void

-------
get rid of weighted sccoring or make all scores weighted that shows bais ot more viewed shows [ that what i mean by one man one vote

Aug 28, 2015 4:05 PM

May 2015
Remember when everyone talked about how old anime is so much better?

Things have changed.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 29, 2015 12:47 AM

Jun 2014
ShiroiMuffler said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Yes and it's all subjective. Let's try not to oversimplify here, those numbers clearly affect what people will watch.

Who cares what others watch though? Let's face it, nobody who whines about ratings cares what others will or won't watch. They for some reason worry and get sad that their favorite anime is rated lowly.

Its not an issue tbh.
Aug 29, 2015 1:00 AM

Jun 2012
romagia said:
being watched only by people with lower average scores might have something to do with it

I'm usually pretty on the ball with rankings stuff in general, but I never really thought about this in regards to old anime. This makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Aug 29, 2015 2:02 AM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:

Things have changed.

This is cyclical from what I've seen. Around half a year from now we'll likely be right back to older anime being the greatest in existence.

OT: I'm of the opinion that those who tend to use the full rating scale are also those who are more likely to be interested in older anime. Newer anime get a lot more of the 7-10 rating folk.
Aug 29, 2015 2:49 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Things have changed.

This is cyclical from what I've seen. Around half a year from now we'll likely be right back to older anime being the greatest in existence.

OT: I'm of the opinion that those who tend to use the full rating scale are also those who are more likely to be interested in older anime. Newer anime get a lot more of the 7-10 rating folk.

I'm waiting for "Middle period anime is better than both old and new".
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 29, 2015 3:14 AM

Sep 2013
Because they are all slow paced....
and they are not as enjoyable as shorter series like FMAB, CG....
Aug 29, 2015 3:52 AM

Apr 2011
I like how not one has considered the possibility that maybe these shows you speak of are, perhaps, not as good as you think they are and as such, it is reflected on the score? But of course, it can't be that. It's totally because of the newbies.
Aug 29, 2015 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
yhunata said:
I like how not one has considered the possibility that maybe these shows you speak of are, perhaps, not as good as you think they are and as such, it is reflected on the score? But of course, it can't be that. It's totally because of the newbies.

Oh please, don't be so full of it.
From the top:
Aug 29, 2015 4:32 AM

Apr 2015
Because noobs are baptized with current anime. They never heard of old anime.
#CHEXIT
Aug 29, 2015 4:50 AM

Jun 2014
Ckan said:
yhunata said:

Oh please, don't be so full of it.
From the top:

You beat me to it :(
Aug 29, 2015 4:51 AM
Jan 2014
Imeon said:
Because noobs are baptized with current anime. They never heard of old anime.

Well you heard about lots of anime, but it doesn't look like you have seen one from what I can see from your list.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - Today

23 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you self-insert? ( 1 2 )

ateks - Sep 7, 2022

75 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

32 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - Yesterday

14 by Bruh69XD »»
1 hour ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 3 hours ago

8 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.