Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2018 2:36 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty important episode regarding the past of Mavis and Zeref.

I remember watching Fairy Tail Zero awhile ago and this had gave me a very similar impression. This felt more like a condensed version but still contains a lot of important context of Mavis' past. Too bad Zeref's side of the story is filled with mood and doom.
Dec 22, 2018 3:01 PM
Dec 2015
This episode was basically a recap of Fairy Tail Zero but in more detail..

Ughhhh Zeref x Mavis are OTP af! The tragic love story of Zeref x Mavis was well executed, in fact I’m glad the kiss scene wasn’t entirely blacked out like in the manga.
RyuusuiDec 22, 2018 3:14 PM
Dec 22, 2018 3:19 PM

Nov 2016
It's been almost 3 years since I've watched 0 and I honestly didn't remember too much of it until this episode.

It was a great one, they nailed the atmosphere and the kiss </3

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 22, 2018 3:25 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode, perhaps the best one this season.

Mavis and Zeref's past is so tragic and just heartbreaking, why can't we have nice things? :(
I just can't bear to watch a sweet girl like Mavis get her heart broken and cry like that. T.T

The final scene with the kiss was very poignant, they nailed the atmosphere and the final shot with the surroundings dying as they embraced was just so sad. :(

So a contradictory curse brought about a contradictory outcome, ah the irony. :(
Dec 22, 2018 3:49 PM

Mar 2012
Remember people Zeref did nothing wrong.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 22, 2018 4:38 PM
Mar 2015
the more you love a person the more you kill
Dec 22, 2018 4:39 PM

Feb 2013
That curse is horrible!

NeoAnkara said:
Remember people Zeref did nothing wrong.

True, he's just too kind.
Dec 22, 2018 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
bless this episode
just sad the rest of the season will be wasted on the stupid war :/
Well I mean there will be more romance moments but its so awfully spread out
Dec 22, 2018 5:46 PM
Apr 2016
Not sure how to feel about this... Well, probably the best episode so far.
Dec 22, 2018 7:34 PM

Oct 2015
What a beautiful yet tragic episode, particularly that Zeref/Mavis moment. So he killed because of how much he loves her, so that means Zeref loved Mavis more than she did him. That was pretty sad, even the part where she unintentionally killed Yuri's wife and ended up drifting throughout the world killing everything in sight.

Good episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 22, 2018 10:32 PM

Aug 2013
icrieverytiem
that was a powerful episode
Dec 22, 2018 11:02 PM

Jun 2014
The OST, especially during the scene where Makarov's mom died, did a great job of emphasizing the sense of dread in this episode. This was a really good episode, and I don't say that often about Fairy Tail.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2018 11:07 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was a very sentimental and heartrending episode!

Zeref and Mavis’s tragic backstory is finally revealed and the general atmosphere of the episode in presenting this was top notch. Really bitter feeling seeing how crude life treated the two of them, none of them did anything wrong and yet they were treated as such.

Seeing Yuri’s wife/Makarov’s father pass away in that fashion was depressing and then seeing Mavis’s reaction to that was even more pitiful. I certainly didn’t expect this sudden change in tone as initially we got to see a different side of the masterful tactician ‘Fairy’ Mavis which was very cool to see. However, the moment when Mavis asked Yuri about the number of casualties raised a few questions in my mind. Got to give it to the director there for the exceptional directing.

Very sweet and grievous interaction between Mavis and Zeref in the beginning and towards the very end too. The moment when Zeref revealed the true consequences of Mavis using ‘Law’, the whole mood of the episode drastically changed and we got to see more of their tragic past. That embrace at the end by Mavis was heartwarming to see but it definitely made the final few scenes much more impactful and saddening to see.

Lelouch0202 said:

I just can't bear to watch a sweet girl like Mavis get her heart broken and cry like that. T.T

So a contradictory curse brought about a contradictory outcome, ah the irony. :(

I know right, it was so very agonising to see! It’s very hard to imagine how she felt during that one year of carnage which she brought along with her, and that’s just *sob* sorrowful.

Lol, that’s well said, the irony indeed.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 23, 2018 3:36 AM

Aug 2013
the anime is strangely more better than the manga
Dec 23, 2018 3:38 AM

May 2016
My God how much must Zeref suffer T-T

Some highlights *cries in a corner*

Dec 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Jul 2016
Can someone just put Zeref out of his misery?
Dec 23, 2018 5:28 AM

Nov 2018
Rita's death was way sadder in the anime... respect A1. Can't wait for the meeting next week, the 12 are coming.
Dec 23, 2018 5:56 AM

Aug 2013
An interesting episode about Mavis and Zeref.

Dec 23, 2018 6:25 AM
Aug 2013
When i read the manga, i thought Mavis was to blame about Rita's death. But now, after watched the episode, i got a doubt.I mean, when the curse is on, some stuff happen like this shadow spreading. Rita just passed away. I don't know...
Dec 23, 2018 8:25 AM

Dec 2015
This stupid pairing is ruining the anime for me.
Dec 23, 2018 9:14 AM

Feb 2018
Zeref is a lolicon confirmed.
Dec 23, 2018 10:59 AM
Oct 2018
xfinityretaile1 said:
Rita's death was way sadder in the anime... respect A1. Can't wait for the meeting next week, the 12 are coming.

no episode next week due to holidays
Dec 23, 2018 11:00 AM
Oct 2018
AmMar-Sama said:
Wait. If they both loved each other, why didn't the curse kill Zeref as well? This is a mess.

zeref love was stronger than mavis
Dec 23, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2014
I feel kinda bad when anime makes us feel bad about villains...damn zeref and Mavis are like romio and juliet
Dec 23, 2018 12:31 PM

Apr 2013
Damn, that ending caught me offguard. So Zeref's curse was still stronger and killed Mavis in the end. Great episode, though it was a bit boring in the beginning.
Dec 23, 2018 1:28 PM

Jan 2017
Surely the curse of contradiction should be a two way thing, but the kiss only affected Mavis... she had affections too. wth.

In any case, petition for Mavis X Zeref to happen... the series would be a waste of time otherwise.
Dec 23, 2018 2:16 PM

Apr 2015
So Mavis shares the same curse as Zeref... and it seems to be the reason why Makarov's mother was killed. I don't remember if this was mentioned in Fairy Tail Zero or not.

When Mavis killed Rita outside of her control, it really broke her down, that was really sad :(

In the end, eventho they both share the same curse, Zeref killed Mavis eventho she was immortal. I guess Zeref's love for Mavis was stronger than the love Mavis had for Zeref.
Quite the sad story!

Next week we'll be told about Fairy Heart!
Dec 23, 2018 5:15 PM

Mar 2016
I was right. This episode was 'Fairy Tail Zero:2'. That name sounds really off.

I thought it was nice that Mavis sealed herself off to protect everyone. Just a few minutes later, it turns out that was not what happened. I hope the crystal's secret (if there is one) isn't going to be something crappy.

How old is Mavis's body supposed to be? It doesn't look older than ten, which made the kiss look kind of awkward.

When they were fighting in the war, did they insert an LOTR reference? lol.

Mavis's strategy was an extreme beginner stuff, but it was still nice that they did actual research on war strategies. Even if it is just a little, adding something from reality can make stories feel better.
Dec 23, 2018 10:59 PM

Dec 2010
AmMar-Sama said:
Wait. If they both loved each other, why didn't the curse kill Zeref as well? This is a mess.

Well, it's called the curse of contradiction for a reason.
Also, most likely Zeref loved Mavis more than she loved him, as was already said by a few people here.
I'm from Poland, so i'm sorry if i make some mistakes in english sentences (including this one)
Dec 24, 2018 2:49 AM

Sep 2014
Them feels, Mavis and Zeref too precious. Pretty dumb curse.
Dec 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Feb 2017
damn, feels truck hit me so deep
better love story than twilight 11/10

anyone who got that curse gonna be insane, i mean OMEGA insane

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Dec 24, 2018 3:32 PM
Oct 2018
AmMar-Sama said:
OromisMasta said:

Well, it's called the curse of contradiction for a reason.
Also, most likely Zeref loved Mavis more than she loved him, as was already said by a few people here.

Makes you wonder why the curse didn't contradict its own contradiction much earlier and killed the entire Spriggan 12 in the process, just to give a random example. The fact that this only happened here comes off as overly convenient.

Kinda feels like Ankhseram is messing with Zeref for shits and giggles.

he sees the spriggan 12 as nothing than pawns in his little "game" so his death cloud curse wouldn't unleash on them.
Dec 24, 2018 5:10 PM

Aug 2014
meh i liked mavis but now not so much..
Dec 25, 2018 2:44 AM
Dec 2018
This episode was so sad and awesome It gave me chills, can't wait for the next one
Dec 25, 2018 2:27 PM

May 2015
And then they

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 25, 2018 7:28 PM

Jan 2013
A truly sad episode :/ Poor Mavis, i wonder if she really killed that girl or it was just bad timing.
So Zeref basically has to hate everyone or they will die, damn, what a life...
With this episode, i think FT once again jumped a few steps above in terms of quality.
The forbidden love.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 27, 2018 4:54 AM

Apr 2013
Damn. Sometimes, when for a long time nothing good happens, I question myself that why have I followed the manga to the end, and why am I still watching this? The answer is this episode; that, despite everything that has happened (and will happen), there's a surprisingly good story buried in there somewhere, operating with very nice, poetic concepts.

It's as if I were in a curse of contradiction burdened love with the series, similarly to Mavis and Zeref. The more I care and want to like it the more annoyed I am about the bad stuff and the shittier I think it is; but when I don't care and just watch it to get through, I notice the nice things, like this episode. Curse of Contradiction right there.

On another side note; a question for you all. Despite consuming fantasy & sci-fi literature or any kind of entertainment basically all my life, and having read quite a few things about ancient myths, I still can't really find the Curse of Contradiction in my memories. Might that be, that despite FT being one the most unoriginal, run-of-the-mill popcorn shounens ever, Mashima actually had one original idea in this curse?
So, there you go; do you have any similar references, tropes you can find, etc?
L0rdDec 27, 2018 4:58 AM
Dec 27, 2018 1:43 PM
Oct 2013
L0rd said:

On another side note; a question for you all. Despite consuming fantasy & sci-fi literature or any kind of entertainment basically all my life, and having read quite a few things about ancient myths, I still can't really find the Curse of Contradiction in my memories. Might that be, that despite FT being one the most unoriginal, run-of-the-mill popcorn shounens ever, Mashima actually had one original idea in this curse?
So, there you go; do you have any similar references, tropes you can find, etc?
Now that I think of it, I have also never heard of something similar to the curse. I mean, it's so specific with multiple conditions that it'd be hard to find something like that.
Dec 27, 2018 1:57 PM

May 2014
I were like OMG at the end. So because both of them were cursed one of them died. But why exactly Mavis? I hope this will be explained or this will be a plot hole. The percentage is 50/50. There is as likely chance it could be Mavis or Zeref who died, but why exactly her? He have been cursed longer? He was the first person? I dunno, just hoping it will be explained (though I highly doubt it). His curse power was stronger than hers because he loved her more than she did, aka contradiction. Mmm, not bad. Better what Mashima usually provides. I suppose the rumor is true that a man can litteraly take a woman's heart! xD

Another thing, why does pregnant woman in most series die after child birth, so typical lol. Rita in FT, Rouge in OP, Kushina in Naruto (though it wasn't due to childbirth).

Anyway, what a nice story. Poor Mavis being cursed. That came as a shock to me to see once she loose her mind the curse will run wild. So does that mean the one who is talking in the present time is her ghost? Well, find out in the next ep. of FT which is about in 1 week.
mangalicker94Dec 27, 2018 2:09 PM
Dec 27, 2018 2:01 PM

May 2014
AivanK said:
A truly sad episode :/ Poor Mavis, i wonder if she really killed that girl or it was just bad timing.
So Zeref basically has to hate everyone or they will die, damn, what a life...
With this episode, i think FT once again jumped a few steps above in terms of quality.
The forbidden love.

It looked more like it was due to the childbirth to me. Since she was sane at that moment and wasn't in shock her power doesn't work. However, once she go in shock and loose control the power of her curse in unleashed and as results every living thing around her dies. But at that moment when she was around Rita (Makarov's mother) she was sane which doesn't make sense for the curse to kill her. The reason she was terrified was because of the words Zeref said. That she will live for ever and basically everybody around her will die.
Dec 27, 2018 2:06 PM

May 2014
Raizel said:
My God how much must Zeref suffer T-T

Some highlights *cries in a corner*

So that confirms that a guy can litteraly take a woman's heart. xD
Dec 29, 2018 10:08 AM
Dec 2015
*Cries in Japanese*
Dec 29, 2018 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
mangalicker94 said:

It looked more like it was due to the childbirth to me. Since she was sane at that moment and wasn't in shock her power doesn't work. However, once she go in shock and loose control the power of her curse in unleashed and as results every living thing around her dies. But at that moment when she was around Rita (Makarov's mother) she was sane which doesn't make sense for the curse to kill her. The reason she was terrified was because of the words Zeref said. That she will live for ever and basically everybody around her will die.

Exactly! I thought exactly the same, it was just bad timing and the Zeref words is what destroyed her.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 1, 2019 6:03 AM

Apr 2011
Great episode! My fave so far.

5/5

Jan 3, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
Nice episode now Zeref's motives are more clear.
I think I have to rewatch the Zero arc lol.
Jan 4, 2019 12:00 AM

Mar 2014
jeez zeref really cant catch a break
Jan 5, 2019 6:44 PM

Jan 2018
That ending is heartbreaking. Poor Zeref.
Jan 14, 2019 7:07 PM

Jan 2016
Zeref x Mavis ftw. That kiss though.
Jan 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Sep 2017
Man can we get some F's in the chat. Rip Mavis and poor Zeref can't catch a break holy crap. I can't believe Mavis ended up killing Makarov's mom like that and then just ran away. I doubt anyone in the guild knew what had happened, but I'm guessing Zeref will bring Mavis back to ft now and explain everything. I mean she gets put in the basement somehow.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

203 by IzanaSolos »»
Yesterday, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2019

58 by PRiMEog »»
Jun 19, 3:25 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2019

63 by PRiMEog »»
Jun 14, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 31 Discussion

FMmatron - May 11, 2019

44 by PRiMEog »»
Jun 6, 3:18 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Lelouch0202 - Oct 13, 2018

105 by teone »»
Jun 2, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.