Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 2, 2017 11:26 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 2 was also shown at AX. I really like the rival character Hyoudou. That huge (and scary) yawn was very funny.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 16, 2017 7:55 AM

Jun 2014
This episode was great! I love the adaptation so far! They really are doing a good job at keeping the characters on model and consistent, I really appreciate that. The use of music was excellent. I loved all the facial expressions and I especially enjoyed Sengoku. Hyodou is great. That small snippet of animation where Hyoudou was dancing alone was beautiful, that paint brush like style was gorgeous! Did I mention how excellent the music was? I loved that moment at the end when Tatara was shadow dancing. This is so fucking great, they're doing the manga justice, I'm so happy! By the way, the OST is so good.
:3
Jul 16, 2017 9:04 AM

Apr 2014
great episode, statisfied with how they handled the stuff from the manga, but still a little bit disappointed that they skipped the scene of hyoudou where it was shownhow drenched and cold his back has become with sweat after the shadow dancing
but still amazing adaption so far
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jul 16, 2017 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
AcceleratorAngel said:
great episode, statisfied with how they handled the stuff from the manga, but still a little bit disappointed that they skipped the scene of hyoudou where it was shownhow drenched and cold his back has become with sweat after the shadow dancing
but still amazing adaption so far

Yeah it's a shame they left that out(it was just a page from the manga, so nothing too important), but I really can't complain about anything, they're killing it with the adaptation!
Jul 16, 2017 9:30 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

I'm certain now, Sengoku is Takamura. The way he acts reminds me so much of the latter. XD

We're introduced to Hyoudou, the top amateur dancer and he is impressive. I do like his laid back chill attitude but that scene with him shadow dancing really shows his resolve and passion despite his laid back attitude.

Tatara seems to learn better by watching and imitating than by learning things one by one. Really liked how he was inspired by Hyoudou, looking forward to seeing him improve. Loved the last scene with Sengoku seeing Shizuku as a partner to Tatara in his shadow dance.

Also that Shizuku changing scene was so much win. <3
Jul 16, 2017 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
Heh, Tatara has some interesting instructors.

Shizuku looked great in her dancing dress, very elegant. They also captured the character expression pretty well from this show imo, especially when Hyodo glared at Tatara. That moment felt almost surreal.

I think the dancing movements were well captured as well. Only part that I found distracting is still the necks...they're so damn long.

Tatara already shows potential as a dancer despite being an amateur. I just think he needs to improve on his mechnical skills a bit. Pretty good episode.

Jul 16, 2017 9:33 AM

Jul 2012
Hyoudou looks like Oikawa's twin brother.

Whoo this is really good. Already looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 16, 2017 9:35 AM

Jun 2014
Stark700 said:

I think the dancing movements were well captured as well. Only part that I found distracting is still the necks...they're so damn long.

The necks haven't bothered me once, I think you're focusing too hard on them. The characters look so elegant and majestic. (and beautiful and hot af)
Jul 16, 2017 9:35 AM

Jan 2015
Pretty good episode

He has got the moves, that weird guy
Jul 16, 2017 9:43 AM

Nov 2013
i definitely don't like the OP after another listen, the ED on the other hand... pretty nice
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 16, 2017 9:44 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
HOLY.FUCK. that Hyodo dancing sakuga at the end was sublime, got me yelling. My god, how will the actual competitions be like D:

The comedy was nice as well here, was laughing a good bit.

Presentation is still the glorious point of this series, just great execution from music to animation to art, it's all above average at least.
Jul 16, 2017 9:55 AM

Mar 2014
That dance scene at the end was something else. Really enjoying this so far
Jul 16, 2017 9:56 AM
Jul 2012
This is so painful to watch. Still another 10+ episodes to go.

But anyways still waiting to see how they animate the actual competitions once Fujita starts.
Jul 16, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2014
Jakerams said:
This is so painful to watch. Still another 10+ episodes to go.

But anyways still waiting to see how they animate the actual competitions once Fujita starts.

I assume you're waiting for Chi-chan, hey, at least we are getting her and probably the current arc from the manga adapted as well.
Jul 16, 2017 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
Hyoudou, the amateur champion, has real skills and we'll definitely be a pro. His shadow dancing was impressive.

Sengoku was able to see that Tatara learns through observation. That ending scene with Tatara shadow dancing, guess he'll take Tatara seriously.

Had a few laughs with this episode.

Jul 16, 2017 10:09 AM
Jul 2017
Something about that scene at the end with Tatara ghost-dancing with Shizuku really gets me.

Still enjoying this show way too much for what it is. Sengoku is hilariously crazy.
Jul 16, 2017 10:11 AM

Mar 2016
alpha_shadow said:
Stark700 said:

The necks haven't bothered me once, I think you're focusing too hard on them. The characters look so elegant and majestic. (and beautiful and hot af)

I find them to be funny to be honest.

Just look at this nigga he is part giraffe. lol
Jul 16, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2010
nice episode...was over too soon for my liking

I really shouldn't have watched the preview cuz now I'm even more impatient for the next episode than I already was
Jul 16, 2017 10:14 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Think I'm just gonna casually drop this before it starts annoying me... I find myself really not caring about anyone or anything at all here tbh :/
Jul 16, 2017 10:14 AM

Jan 2010
Hyoudou is... quite unexpected! haha
My first impression from watching last ep preview was he is gonna be the arrogant jerk with amazing talent like Bakugou so I was looking forward to hear more screaming from Okamoto Nobuhiko. But it's quite 180 degree the opposite, he BARELY TALKS let alone scream lmao. And here I am looking forward to hear Okamoto's voice jeez.

Second impression after seeing his talent and yawns, is Aomine. He gotta be the Aomine of this show. I was wrong again. He actually is training hard and Shizuku does totally feels lucky to be his partner! (Also that one yawn was scary wtf lol)

I SENSE SOME LOVE TRIANGLE HERE.

I ship Kiyoharu and Shizuku already <3 I hope Fujita won't steal her away
Why did he said "I don't care" when he is supposed to be the Hyoudou "there is no one else more caring to his partner" Kiyoharu?
He probably didn't mean it haha. Shizuku's reaction to that is cute!
Is it just me or is she being friendzoned here? Or rather, partnerzoned lmao.

Then not long after, apparently Fujita has "the shadow" too. That's quite a fast progress huh.

Anyway, I REALLY LOVE Kiyoharu's eyelashes! So soft and long. His hair style reminds me of Oikawa XD

Looking forward to next episode!

still not used to them necks lol
CrimsonMidnightJul 16, 2017 10:20 AM
Jul 16, 2017 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
SoundsOfTheWild3 said:
alpha_shadow said:

I mean, if you pause on one key in any anime you can find silly looking shots. This is a stylistic choice and it works really well with the animation imo, at least I like and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Jul 16, 2017 10:47 AM
Aug 2011
Shicchi said:
My first impression from watching last ep preview was he is gonna be the arrogant jerk with amazing talent like Bakugou so I was looking forward to hear more screaming from Okamoto Nobuhiko.

This is blasphemy to want another Okamoto Nobuhiko Bakugoushit screaming character in my precious Hyoudou.

He's so perfect that he even glows in the dark. More neck comments.... then how come I never hear about all the loli that look like disfigured bobble-heads?
standJul 16, 2017 2:02 PM
Jul 16, 2017 10:56 AM

Feb 2015
I feel like this anime is jumping from comedy to seriousness from scene to scene. I like the part of this anime that deals with characters aspirations but I'm not really liking the comedy. The details in some body parts are awesome but I don't know if that body movements are natural, the scenes where the bend their back.
Jul 16, 2017 11:05 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This new guy is a beast O_O And why do I have a feeling that my boy Tatara just took an L in regards to winning the heart of best girl Shizuku :(
Jul 16, 2017 11:14 AM

Jun 2014
Tatara is an AWESOME MC! I love how he learns the dances by watching others and it looks like he may be able to achieve his goal since he already has his own shadow dancer when he practices! I love this anime and the OST is AMAZING!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jul 16, 2017 11:15 AM

Jun 2015
I didn't noticed the necks at first, but now I do. They're quite long, but not distracting. Hyoudou is very good at dancing. He was even sick at the competition. Tatara learns through observation. That's why he was able to follow Hyoudou. His shadow dancing was amazing. Sengoku was impressed when he saw it.
Jul 16, 2017 11:24 AM

Dec 2011
Awesome episode.
This anime just going to be better and better each episode just like how the manga is.
I can't wait for Fujita first competition xD
Jul 16, 2017 11:35 AM

Dec 2016
Amazing episode *-*

Tatara is getting there little by little and I sense that he's going to give a blast in his very first competition ^^

I'm enjoying this show so far :D

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jul 16, 2017 11:45 AM
Jun 2016
Maybe it's just becaue he was sick, but while the one guy was dancing at the competition it looked like he was constipated, kinda distracting that almost jokereque grin heh. Loved this though and looking forward to more.

Kinda wish it was over already so I could just binge watch.
Jul 16, 2017 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
That Shizuku changing scene tho ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 16, 2017 11:51 AM

May 2016
For me it's not so much their neck as it is their entire figure.
I mean, when they're not dancing they look fine.
But when they are their backs looks so curved is a bit unsettling.

Also, I know they're probably just saving budget for the more important dances, but the amount of still shots this episode still bothered me.
It's hard to get a grasp of how amazing their dance moves are when you can't see them in animated action you know.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 16, 2017 11:52 AM
Oct 2007
This is probably my second favourite show for this season (excluding sequel once again) so far. Next episode please!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2017 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
His sharp-eyes specialty will make him to the top
Jul 16, 2017 11:59 AM

Jan 2012
Loving its comedy, specially when Tatara is dancing in front Sengoku-san!
Hyodo's so chill but very passionate about dancing... in love with his eyes, so intense.
Really liking this animation, reminds me of Haikyuu

And I loooveee the opening and ending <3
Jul 16, 2017 12:11 PM

Sep 2015
Too bad he short and skinny

What will happen if this anime animated by Shaft + they're so damn long neck will this turn into a horror instead?
Into the Internet!
Jul 16, 2017 12:20 PM
May 2017
I love the adaptation so far!
I feel like it;s going to be my favourite amine this season <3
Jul 16, 2017 1:22 PM

Oct 2013
I really love this anime but I can't stand their long neck and their anorexic flexible body
(I bet they all have a huge scholiosis)
Jul 16, 2017 1:38 PM

May 2015
New guy is like a machine, wow. But I like him so far somehow.

Another great episode in my opinion, I'm really enjoying it so far. Also, Shizuku looks absolutely gorgeous while in competition! Didn't recognize her at first, since she looked incredibly beautiful in that dress, lol.

Jul 16, 2017 1:40 PM
Jul 2017
Do people really have THIS much of a problem with the art style? Does everything have to look exactly the same? It's literally the best animated show I've seen this season, but all I hear about is "long necks".
Jul 16, 2017 1:50 PM

Jun 2015
I'm kinda disappointed because the dances in the competition were mostly still frames.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 16, 2017 2:03 PM

Apr 2014
Damn, we'll see him seriously dancing already in next episode. Wonder how will it turn out..
Jul 16, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2014
We got introduced to Shizuku's dance partner in this episode and his skill is impressive. It was great to see Tatara improving his own skills by watching Hyodo. I really liked that last scene with Sengoku seeing Shizuku as Tatara's partner as he shadow danced, that pretty much hints at the potential Tatara has to become an amazing dancer.

GoingInside said:
Do people really have THIS much of a problem with the art style? Does everything have to look exactly the same? It's literally the best animated show I've seen this season, but all I hear about is "long necks".

For some reason people like to over-exaggerate and act like something as trivial as that is seemingly enough to distract them from literally every other aspect of the show, even though it doesn't contribute in any way to how enjoyable the show can be. And if someone's enjoyment of this show is affected by something as dumb as the neck length (not the characters, or the quality of the story, but the damn necks, of all things), then that's rather sad.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 16, 2017 2:45 PM

Jul 2010
I really hope Production I.G. animates more of the dancing next episode. I was so disappointed at all of the still shots during the competition lol.
Jul 16, 2017 3:05 PM

Jun 2017
Good episode. The changing room scene was a little unnecessary though.
Jul 16, 2017 3:12 PM

Jan 2016
This is so good!!!

Can't wait for more, when Fujita competes for the first time and so on!
Jul 16, 2017 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
SoundsOfTheWild3 said:
alpha_shadow said:

Oh my god. This made my day.
Jul 16, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2013
wish there were more dancing (despite how weird it looks). Hyoudou's yawns are great.
Jul 16, 2017 3:52 PM

Jul 2011
Tatara has potential, he just need someone to unleash that dancing beast inside him.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jul 16, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2015
As a manga reader this episode was good but next week's episode is gonna be super good.
Jul 16, 2017 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
Those eyelashes are crazy detailed in the close ups, so 3-dimensional.
Romance may play a part.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.