Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 24, 2020 5:02 AM

Jun 2015
Shoujo is easily my favorite demographic for anime. It's the "genre" I get the most consistent enjoyment out of. Some of my favorite entries include: Cardcaptor Sakura, Rose of Versailles, Full Moon, Ojamajo Doremi, and Petite Princess Yucie.

What are some of your favorites?

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2020 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
My most favorite is, of course, Ouran Koukou Host Club. It’s perfect in every way (well, except for Eclair, I have no idea why they added her in the anime. That was unnecessary)

Honorable mentions:
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Kimi ni Todoke
Gakuen Babysitters
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Mar 24, 2020 5:14 AM

Apr 2015
@karkki_ my fav shoujo is definitely maid-sama.

Too bad, i don't think shoujo anime is that popular anymore in recent years. Probably only Fruit Basket n Gakuen Babysitter that i know of shoujo anime aired in 2019. Is there any popular shoujo anime in 2020 yet?
lswarmrulerMar 24, 2020 5:18 AM

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Mar 24, 2020 5:33 AM

Jun 2015
lswarmruler said:
@karkki_ my fav shoujo is definitely maid-sama.

Too bad, i don't think shoujo anime is that popular anymore in recent years. Probably only Fruit Basket n Gakuen Babysitter that i know of shoujo anime aired in 2019. Is there any popular shoujo anime in 2020 yet?

Hmm, can't think of that many myself either. I wanna believe it's still popular; just not as popular as shounen and not as prevalent as it used to be. The late '90s and early '00s were the best period for shoujo in my opinion.

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Mar 24, 2020 5:35 AM
May 2019
i have seen only one shoujo anime so its my favourite and it is Fruits basket
Mar 24, 2020 6:01 AM

Jun 2011
Skip Beat
Akatsuki no Yona
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Natsume Yuujincho

Shoujo are fantastic
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 24, 2020 6:12 AM

Feb 2016
Easy pick, Sabage-bu!

too much fun and with a bit of stupidity in there
Mar 24, 2020 6:13 AM

Apr 2019
I've only seen Kaichou wa Maid-sama and Fruits Basket. Though they're not my favorites.
Mar 24, 2020 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
I love both Shoujo and Josei.

Maria-Sama fourth season and RoV woud be my first pick's when it comes to the best once.
Nippon have done a bunch of really good once too, that's worth checking out. As if anything their work is really underrated

Mar 24, 2020 6:18 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Shoujo is my favorite demographic as well. My favourite Shoujo series are Heartcatch Precure and Suite Precure.

Some of my other favorites (MAL tags as Shoujo):
Futari wa Precure: Splashβ˜†Star and all the other entries in the Precure franchise
Kaleido Star
Perrine Monogatari
Please Save My Earth
Aikatsu
Natsume Yuujinchou series
Cardcaptor Sakura
Kaitou Saint Tail
Glass no Kamen
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Fushigi Yuugi
Akatsuki no Yona
Mar 24, 2020 6:20 AM

Jul 2019
Kimi ni Todoke and Fruits Basket.
Other really good ones include: Maid-sama, Lovely Complex and Orange.
Mar 24, 2020 6:31 AM

Mar 2015
Natsume yuujinchou because its my fav anime
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Mar 24, 2020 6:31 AM

May 2018
I think most of shoujo is too generic and often follows literally same boring overused tropes.
Out of 20-30 watched shoujo I fell in love with Revolutionary Utena and Princess Tutu and somewhat liked Madoka. Anywhay those three are unusual ones, and anything other I watched seemed too plain to me.
Although being kinda sceptical about this genre I still have big hopes on trying Sailor Moon, Kaleido star, Maria-sama (does it count as shoujo though?), Rose of Versailes and probably some Precure

Mar 24, 2020 6:37 AM

Dec 2018
The new Fruits Basket reboot, is everything the original is but better in every way
Mar 24, 2020 6:38 AM

Jun 2015
Nemo_Niemand said:
I think most of shoujo is too generic and often follows literally same boring overused tropes.
Out of 20-30 watched shoujo I fell in love with Revolutionary Utena and Princess Tutu and somewhat liked Madoka. Anywhay those three are unusual ones, and anything other I watched seemed too plain to me.
Although being kinda sceptical about this genre I still have big hopes on trying Sailor Moon, Kaleido star, Maria-sama (does it count as shoujo though?), Rose of Versailes and probably some Precure

I feel like shoujo as a genre for someone either rides or dies on its tropes. Personally, I love a lot of the tropes and character archetypes. They're very endearing and charming to me almost every time I see them. However, if you're not into that, then you're probably going to hate most of it.

Definitely do give Rose of Versailles a shot though. It's a highlight and still holds up wonderfully after all these generations.

Mar 24, 2020 6:39 AM

Aug 2018
Oniisama e, Glass no Kamen, Gakuen Babysitters and Rose of Versailles are super great. Oshiete Galko-chan is also pretty neat, just needed more runtime
Mar 24, 2020 6:47 AM

Jun 2015
milkclub said:
Oniisama e, Glass no Kamen, Gakuen Babysitters and Rose of Versailles are super great. Oshiete Galko-chan is also pretty neat, just needed more runtime

Respect for Oniisama e and Glass Mask!

Mar 24, 2020 6:54 AM

Sep 2019
I'm just going to have to put down Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. They nail that fairy-tale romance down well. Plus, I think I like every character in it... somehow. Usually, there's at least one I don't like out of personality or design, but now I like them all due to their personality or design.

Also, it has the best red-haired protagonist/female character, and I don't think I can ever change that opinion.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 24, 2020 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
It's for me quite hard to get most of the shoujo high school romances, but I liked some of those as well. They can get too saccharine.
Also I dislike the style of especially the older shoujos.

But my favorites are Natsume Yuujinchou, Banana Fish, No. 6, Akatsuki no Yona, Children of the Whales and Nana. I think, Paradise Kiss was a josei?
I don't know if Princess Tutu is a shoujo. I also liked Sailor Moon, Shirayuki, Ouran High School Host Club and although I had some things to critize, I still liked Utena.
I also will finish Fruits Basket.

Nemo_Niemand said:

I think Madoka doesn't have a demographic, since it was an original anime.
Only the manga adaptations get demographic tags, since they were published in a magazine that is made for that gender and age group.
removed-userMar 24, 2020 7:11 AM
Mar 24, 2020 7:12 AM

Jun 2012
My recent favorite would be Yagate Kimi ni naru.

Wait, does Yuri counts as Shoujo?
Mar 24, 2020 7:16 AM

Oct 2018
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Kimi ni Todoke
Fruits Basket
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Mar 24, 2020 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Natsume Yuujinchou
That Levi OVA
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (despite the end)
Mar 24, 2020 7:29 AM

Jun 2019
Yona of the Dawn because it a shoujo anime that anyone can enjoy. There is action, romance, and great world building, and it different then most other shoujo anime I watched or read.

Mar 24, 2020 7:42 AM

Mar 2016
This one should be easy to answer because my list is really short. Most shoujo that I find are not very memorable. A lot of times, I get the plots of different stories completely mixed up because of how similar the stories tend to be.

Anyhow, here's my list:
1) Cardcaptor Sakura
2) Natsume Yuujinchou
3) X/1999

There are some more that I like, but these stories are the ones that I really love. I know all three of these have a lot of problems, but they are special to me.
Mar 24, 2020 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Well I've only seen 3 Shoujo anime, 2 of them I rated a 5 and dropped while the other is a movie, so I'll have to go with a manga if you don't mind.

Out of the 15 Shoujo manga I've read, my favorite is definitely Aqua (and Aria too, but for some reason Aqua is a Shoujo while Aria is a Shounen?), followed by Usemono Yado, followed by Hibi Chouchou
Mar 24, 2020 8:49 AM

Oct 2010
easily Sailor Moon, it has all the stuff I like
Mar 24, 2020 8:56 AM

Dec 2016
Sailor Moon
Cardcaptor Sakura
The Rose of Versailles
Magic Knight Rayearth
The Vision of Escaflowne

That's my shoujo holy pentagon.
Mar 24, 2020 9:02 AM

Dec 2008
Sailor Moon
Kodomo no Omocha

a lot of the stuff by CLAMP is very good, but it can be a hit or miss
Mar 24, 2020 10:19 AM

Apr 2019
When you define "shoujo" strictly by MAL's tagging, my top rated ones are (in order):
  1. Nana
  2. Shoujo Kakumei Utena
  3. Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
  4. Versailles no Bara
  5. Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
  6. Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Arguably, none of them is usually considered a "typical" shoujo series. But tags don't lie, do they.

EDIT: I had overlooked that His & Her Circumstances is shoujo.
inimMar 24, 2020 11:27 AM

Mar 24, 2020 10:43 AM

Jul 2014
Guess I will go with Natsume. Oniisama is good too.
Mar 24, 2020 10:45 AM

Sep 2018
My favorite shoujo so far is Yona of the Dawn.
Mar 24, 2020 10:54 AM

Jul 2017
it's hard to pick a single one lol, I have lots like Maid-sama, Ouran Host, His and Her Circumstances, Fruits Basket, Say I Love You, Ookami Shoujo, Banana Fish etc.

manga though it's a whole different story lol
Mar 24, 2020 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
Kaichou wa maid sama, Fruit basket and Kamisama Hajimemashita are the standouts of this genre in my opinion.
Mar 24, 2020 11:27 AM

Aug 2018
Kobato looks and feels like a Shoujo even though it's not tagged as such. That and Vision of Escaflowne are very much worth looking into.
Mar 24, 2020 11:30 AM

Sep 2018
I would have to say Ouran High School Host Club!

However, I just started watching Skip Beat! yesterday and it KICKS ASS!

Edit:
I finished Skip Beat and, I was right, it KICKED ASS!

Unfortunately the director of the animation studio passed away quite a while back, which seems to have prevented the show from getting a 2nd season despite a ton of source material. RIP director-san, your work was amazing!
BallisticRiotMar 26, 2020 8:51 AM
Blanks.
Mar 24, 2020 11:49 AM
Feb 2014
While i do think i favor shounen more, there's also many shoujo anime i really enjoyed, here's my favorite shoujo anime(only counting those i rated 9 and above):

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

Fruits Basket(Both the old and new version)

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi(Doesn't have the tag, but pretty sure this is a shoujo)

Kobato(Ditto, see above)

Lovelyβ˜…Complex

Ojamajo Doremi

Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear

Sugar Sugar Rune

Versailles no Bara

Yes! Precure 5
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 24, 2020 11:53 AM
Aug 2015
Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Versailles no Bara
Mar 24, 2020 12:05 PM

Nov 2010
Rose of Versailles as well, but I also like Fruits Basket especially the remake, Akatsuki no Yona and NANA. I'm not big fan of shoujos in general, but I feel like these are bit different, they don't just focus on teenager romance.
Mar 24, 2020 1:41 PM

Jun 2019
I'd like to be exposed to more Shoujo I can easily fall in love with, since at present I only have one rated extremely high. It's safe to say that out of the four main demographics it's the one I watch the least of and the pacing and themes of a lot of Seinen and Josei seem to be more my preference, but I will enthusiastically watch any Shoujo if it can tempt me with its plot.

Usually when these questions come up I have to really internally debate and wrack the brain over which to list first, but here it's simple since I have only one Shoujo in my Top 20 (placed at #16):

Aishiteruze Baby

Reasons:

- It's the anime most similar to Usagi Drop, a Josei, which is my #11
- It's extremely mellow so much so that it could also be listed as a Slice of Life
- It showcases a family of different age groups coming of age and learning, growing, and working together, which is more akin to a family TV drama or sitcom then what you usually see in anime
- I love any show which features a tender and slowly maturing and developing age gap relationship (in this case a completely platonic and familial one - nothing romantic or sexual)
- Value of the preciousness, insight, and novelty of seeing children on opposite ends of the development spectrum, one going from a baby/toddler to early childhood and another older teenager going toward adulthood cannot be overstated

It's extremely underrated and I rarely see it mentioned today, possibly because people don't like the "older" art style mixed with animation which is somewhat basic and shoddy in parts compared to the highest standards. Plus, it was overshadowed by the more well-known Usagi Drop which came out seven years later.

Aishiteruze Baby is a 9 for me and it'd be nice to see it get more love, not because I care about accolades, but just because it'd be nice to know more folks had the opportunity to enjoy something which could have a lot of appeal for people of pretty much all ages if they knew about its existence.

Honorable mentions/Runners Up:

- Banana Fish (yes, it's Shoujo, like it or not)
- Fruits Basket (2019 reboot; haven't seen the 2001 original)
- Whisper of the Heart film

Side note, but even though Inuyasha is classified as a Shounen, was featured in the Weekly Shounen Jump, and in many ways has Shounen characteristics, it also strikes me as the only Shounen I've seen which feels like more of a Shoujo or at least, a Shounen + Shoujo hybrid. It's that mixture about it which gives it a very special feel.

Mar 24, 2020 2:08 PM

Jan 2020
mine are Shugo Chara and Kamisama Kiss (one of my fav romances)
Mar 24, 2020 2:22 PM

Jun 2017
my most favorite is definitely skip beat, one of the only series ive wholeheartedly loved without losing interest since i first got into it (7 years ago lol)

Nana is another big favorite for being very personal

honorable mentions:
maid sama (first anime i sought out the manga for after i finished lol)
snow white with the red hair, cute as hell it just makes me happy to watch
yona of the dawn really caters to me as well LOL

(if manga were included, Mars and golden days would be listed)
Mar 24, 2020 2:37 PM

Aug 2019
I've seen a few shoujo and read even more manga (prefer it), but I admit I do get tired of its tropes and cliches. Still, I have many yet to watch and read. Favorites are -
Akatsuki no Yona
Skip Beat
Hotarubi no Mori e
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Nana

(If manga had been included then, Mars and Taiyou no Ie)
Mayo-13Mar 25, 2020 12:22 AM

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Mar 24, 2020 2:45 PM

Jan 2019
I really loved Orange! I ended up reading the manga, as well as watch the show.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Mar 24, 2020 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Ouran, Akatsuki no Yona, Cardcaptor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth... Quite a few I'd say.
Mar 24, 2020 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Kimi ni Todoke, Hotarubi no Mori e, Natsume Yuujinchou, Kamisama Hajimemashita. Just awesome and sweet!
Mar 24, 2020 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Candy Candy

It was one of the most popular anime in the 80s both in and outside Japan. TV ratings were even higher than Dragon Ball in some countries. If it was not for that court dispute between the original author and the mangaka that prevented further broadcasts and VHS/DVD releases, it would be popular even among younger audiences.

Perhaps I go too far but if you have not seen it, you have no clue what shojo means
Mar 24, 2020 3:41 PM

Aug 2014
Difficult to say, there are so many good ones.

NANA, Kamisama hajimemashita, Marmalade boy, Ouran host club, Skip beat, gakuen no alice. And many more to count.
Mar 25, 2020 11:18 PM

Sep 2018
Never been huge into shoujo, but I do love magic knight rayearth, fruits basket (still need to see the remake), and you know, you can’t beat a classic like sailor moon.
Mar 25, 2020 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
Even though I'm a girl myself, I never really find most shoujo anime that interesting since most of them are in the romance genre which isn't the type of genre I root for compared to others. However, there are two that stand above the rest and are some of my personal favorites.

Fruits Basket is easily my pick for my favorite shoujo anime with Ouran High School Host Club as a close second. I've even read both manga versions (finishing Fruits Basket just last night) and both are great.

I mean, why else wouldn't I have Kyo in my avatar and Haruhi in my profile?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 19 minutes ago

4 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
29 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.