Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2019 9:13 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
owarida6 said:
Unless I misunderstood, Askeladd's men captured Thor's warship. It was abandoned, because they couldn't sail it without Thor helping. Thorfinn stowed away in the boat that was captured. Though it's surprising nobody noticed that Thorfinn was unaccounted for, I guess a lot was going on...

I believe that to be the case too. Out of the two ships, Askeladd’s men took with them one and Leif with the other retreated with Thors’ body (I think).
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 28, 2019 9:35 PM
Jan 2018
Besides the Aimer ED, the visuals, which are still quite sloppy for Wit's standards, and the ending scene for this episode Vinland Saga hasn't managed to impress me at all. The source material being good means nothing to me because a good source doesn't guarantee a good adaptation. So far it's enjoyable but that's it.
Jul 28, 2019 9:43 PM

Aug 2018
God damn this is good, can't wait for the next episode.
Thors dying was pretty sad.
Thorfinns death stare tho.
I use Arch, btw.
Jul 28, 2019 9:47 PM

May 2018
Nim0174 said:

fair point, but its a tiny sense of honor, if he had actual sense of honor he'd have taken the L and retreated

He didn't lose, he was still alive and didn't surrender. But yeah, he used the duel as an excuse to take away his attention and capture the kid. He probably would have used another strategy if the kid wasn't with him.
Jul 28, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2015
Finally it's back, it has been hell without it!

Dammit Thors died like a superman!!!! That look on Thorfin's eyes would kill any man, they better brace themselves for what's coming to them.

I really need to check out the manga, I'm really hyped about this show.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 28, 2019 10:28 PM

Feb 2019
Animaniaig said:
Besides the Aimer ED, the visuals, which are still quite sloppy for Wit's standards, and the ending scene for this episode Vinland Saga hasn't managed to impress me at all. The source material being good means nothing to me because a good source doesn't guarantee a good adaptation. So far it's enjoyable but that's it.

Well, that`s because the anime started with the flashback. Even I who is a big fan of the manga since 2010 was disappointed when they started at chapter 3 (which is the start of the flashback). Now I`m gonna wait till episode 7 before seeing teen Thorfinn.

Jul 28, 2019 10:31 PM

May 2013
He should've rushed Bjorn and Decimated them all but we needed Thors to die for the plot.
Jul 28, 2019 10:31 PM

Nov 2017
F Thors, Cant wait to see more of Askeladd and
post time skip Thorfinn, loving the faithful adaptation the studios doing too hope it continues that way. Really hope this does well so I can have my season two

Jul 28, 2019 11:01 PM
Jul 2017
I feel like askeladd was serious in asking Thors to be the leader of his group, but played it off as a joke when he didn’t get an answer.
Jul 28, 2019 11:04 PM

Jan 2018
After three weeks of waiting, it finally came like it was just released on those weeks. The hype definitely continues into this one.

Thors had it coming. Ever since the first three epsiodes, a death flag has been raised to serve as a cataylst for Thorfinn to become a warrior (or a killer idk).

But, those eyes...

I expect more for this anime. AOTY candidate or AOTS.
Jul 28, 2019 11:13 PM

Oct 2009
I didn't expect Thors to die so soon!
Dammit I wanted to see more of him :(

Anyway I hope this show gets a big following, I want more seasons!!!
Jul 28, 2019 11:26 PM
Apr 2016
It's time for thorfin
Jul 28, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2016
can thorfinn shut the fuck up
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 28, 2019 11:45 PM

Jan 2016
holy shit, this could possibly be AOTY (not counting sequels).
Jul 28, 2019 11:52 PM

Apr 2018
Welp, this is what happen when you messed up the timeline of the manga (well, even the timeline in the manga is also kinda fucked up, and seems like the anime just make it worse, Lol). Now I can see why the manga chose to show teen horfinn first, And I think it's better like that, Unlike the anime.

And looks like we're gonna have some anime-original scene (based from the trailer) about thorfinn and his first Fight/kill, and I really appreciate that, because The manga skipped that part.

Anyway great episode, the fight is short but well animated. And RIP thors, you are a great father.

So far this is a solid 10/10 anime for me.
Jfs_Jul 29, 2019 12:44 AM
Jul 29, 2019 12:12 AM

Jul 2008
He knew if he was wanted dead he can't fight all the jomvikings to defend his village and family if he fights back.

Fuck this episode its so good yet I wish he didn't die :(

Also I knew he was going to die - watch the fucking opening song and see if he's the main character there.
Jul 29, 2019 12:44 AM

Jan 2011
Very good episode. I didn't expect Thors to die so early on but Thorsfinn looking like a beast.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 29, 2019 12:47 AM

Apr 2018
xeco said:
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb
mfw people think this is a story about revenge, while the main focus in this season is not even thorfinn. Well people says Askeladd's the MC for a reason.
Jul 29, 2019 12:51 AM
May 2019
Can someone explain to me how the everyone that was with Thors left his son maybe I missed something but from what I got it seemed as though they left him which doesn't make sense cause why would they do that and if they forgot about him that makes even less sense since why would they forger about the kid of the guy who just died and was screaming half the time during the fight. Someone please explain unless its a spoiler.
Jul 29, 2019 1:18 AM

Dec 2014
I found out about Thors' death from the description of the anime :/ So I saw it coming a mile away. Still a really good episode and I'm interested to see what will happen later on. I wonder if they're going to do a time skip and show us an older Thorfinn or show us the impact Thors' death has on his family/village. Askeladd seems like a pretty interesting character, not just a generic "bad for the sake of being bad" villain. Pretty awesome character design too.
Jul 29, 2019 1:35 AM

Oct 2017
I still think they shouldn't have killed Thors. It's not like many shows don't do this take Shingeki no Kyojin for example.
Jul 29, 2019 1:43 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, what an emotional episode. But well, that's just how the way things work for them. F for Thors. This will be the cause of Throfinn's development into a warrior.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jul 29, 2019 2:25 AM
Jan 2019
I like those eren's like eyes lol
Jul 29, 2019 2:29 AM
Nov 2018
Such deep meanings, now I know why they say vinland saga is so great. Also applause for animation.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jul 29, 2019 3:45 AM
Aug 2018
Thors and his death reminded me of Ned Stark, somehow. But of course, OF COURSE, I love Thors far better.
Sadly I read the synopsis back then, and since the first episode I knew that Thors will die in early episode. If I didn't know, the death could've been a lot sadder.
I always hate stupidity that brings catastrophe. Young Thorfinn, his child-like behavior, and how he became his father's weakness are three examples of "stupidity that brings catastrophe."
But, well, he's a kid, and those stupidities are the things that bring the story forward, "the point of no return" in writers vocabulary. I hope Thorfinn learn something important and become someone with ... ughghgg, I don't know. I just hope I won't hate him as much in the upcoming episodes.
One more, when he screamed as loud as he could about killing Askeladd, his small figure filled with rage and thirst of vengeance ... God, the scene tore my heart into pieces. And, damn, the soundtrack at the moment was so beautiful, so heartbreaking, I cried. I cried when Aimer sang the ending song, I cried when I took my phone to open MAL, I cried while writing this.
I love Vinland Saga. This anime really is new experience in Anime realm. Anime that tastes like the New York Bestselling Medieval Fantasy Novel. Ugh, my heart----
Jul 29, 2019 3:50 AM

Aug 2017
how much do you think will they adapt from the manga with this fast pacing ? 12 volumes ?
Jul 29, 2019 3:56 AM

Feb 2019
Domino03 said:
Can someone explain to me how the everyone that was with Thors left his son maybe I missed something but from what I got it seemed as though they left him which doesn't make sense cause why would they do that and if they forgot about him that makes even less sense since why would they forger about the kid of the guy who just died and was screaming half the time during the fight. Someone please explain unless its a spoiler.

They didn`t left him, he hide in his father`s ship which was taken by Askeladd group. I think because of Thors death everyone was at lost and was too late when they notice his gone. Anyway this was mentioned in manga when the group report Thors death to his wife and daughter, if they are animating that part its probably on ep. 5 or 6.
Jul 29, 2019 4:01 AM

Feb 2019
aybekay said:
how much do you think will they adapt from the manga with this fast pacing ? 12 volumes ?

Probably until the "End of Prologue" since they seem to be adding some anime original scenes (episode 5 for example).
Jul 29, 2019 4:29 AM

Feb 2015
Amazing episode and Thors was such a badass till the very end. RIP
Jul 29, 2019 4:29 AM

Mar 2015
aybekay said:

7.5 volumes, I think they will adapt the first big arc.
Jul 29, 2019 4:35 AM

Jul 2016
Damn, having to rewatch Thors death a second time is sad. He didn't back down and kept his ideals until his death. I really like the guy and all the impact he had in Thorfinn's life.

I still remember how much of an asshole I thought Askeladd was when I read this chapter of the manga. At least he had the honor to keep his promise.

And with this conclusion of the "introduction arc", the story is starting for reals. I can't wait to see Thorfinn fight.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 29, 2019 4:48 AM

Oct 2017
Nice,enojyable episode.
Now it's time Thorfinn.
Jul 29, 2019 6:00 AM
Jan 2016
"A true warrior doesn't need a sword"...simple words but soo meaningful...
Jul 29, 2019 6:13 AM

Oct 2015
KatsutoSaki said:
I still think they shouldn't have killed Thors. It's not like many shows don't do this take Shingeki no Kyojin for example.

You literally find out he dies in the first chapter of the manga. He was never meant to be one of the main characters.
Jul 29, 2019 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die because of being soft lmao
could have just decimated all of them
there was no guaruantee they let his son live anyway so there was no reason to surrender
especially since this askeladd guy doesn't have a sense of honor
i didn't like this episodes writing but overall great episode though
sorry but i just don't care about this guy dying in this episode and it felt forced, its way too soon and i've had no time to get attached to him
the animation was fucking amazing

It's not becuase he's soft. A massive part of his character is he came to despise war and killing and basically vowed to never kill another man and so in a position where yeah he could have killed them all he ran the risk of his village people dieing in the brawl so he decided to give his life for their safety and he also held onto his beliefs like a true man if he went in killing and putting his people in danger it would betray his whole character.
Jul 29, 2019 7:50 AM

Jun 2012
Please let this be more than just a revenge story and "wanting to be strong".
That was a ton of depth and potential up to now and I'd like it to continue that way.
Jul 29, 2019 8:25 AM

Apr 2018
adrian_and_sela said:
Please let this be more than just a revenge story and "wanting to be strong".
That was a ton of depth and potential up to now and I'd like it to continue that way.
nah dont worry, it wont. And actually the main story is about a bunch of guy traveling to vinland (america). Heck the title is vinland saga for a reason. lol
Jul 29, 2019 8:53 AM

Oct 2017
XquisiteWig said:
KatsutoSaki said:

You literally find out he dies in the first chapter of the manga. He was never meant to be one of the main characters.

Yeah, it's clear he'd die in the beginning if you watch the opening, look at the characters on the entry page or read the synopsis. But I still think they shouldn't have killed him.
Jul 29, 2019 9:01 AM

May 2015
YuyoGzm said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

If you want 100% action and don't really care about anything else , then this is not the show for you man. Action is an important part of the series, yes, but the story itself takes center stage, especially after a certain turning point later on.

I know, but u dont need to be a mastermind to make some good pilot/first episodes...

They werent bad, but neither entertaining.

I mean, it seems like for most people the first 4 episodes were good/great. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 29, 2019 9:17 AM

Oct 2017
Damn man I expected him to die but dying so soon.He was a bad ass till the end even the enemy leader respected him.
Jul 29, 2019 9:20 AM
Aug 2018
I felt the episode title was perfect. Askeladd's men seemed to acknowledge at the end that Thors was indeed "A True Warrior". He maneged to keep everyone safe even after his dead, just because they came to respect his honour. Even though he threw his sword. Just as he said.
I find it funny how people say Thros could have beaten everyone up. This people prbably don't know how to play chess. Didn't you see that everybody knew, even Thors, that there were archers everywhere? The only think that he could do to keep the casualties in his side at the minimum was to appeal to their sense of honour. If they had none, it would all be lost anyway, but he trusted that Askeladd would respect his wishes if he won him in a duel.

But most of you people can't see that. Just as Thorfinn can't. For him, war is fun. War is just. War has to have "meaning", and heroism. It can't be all senseless. "There's no place for warriors without swords in war" he probably thinks, as do most of you. He is too stupid to see how truly heroic his father was. So when he screams at the end, we see how saliva drips from his mouth, and tears from his eyes. The scene is played with a soft piano music, because this is not cool. We are witnessing how Thorfinn is throwing away every part of him that makes him human, to become a vengeful beast. The soft piano is there to remind us that this is a tragedy. The tragedy of a kid that will never be able to understand how great his father was, and how great his mindset was.

I think it is also a tragedy if you don't already think this is already powerful storytelling. The manga won many awards through the years, as did the only other manga made by the author, Planetes. I haven't read Vinland's manga, but I can already see the brilliance in it. And I can also say that the people behind the adaptation are completely understanding what made great the story in the first place. The themes. I always believed that if a masterpiece was going to be made in this days, people would probably dismiss it, because nowadays people don't enjoy challenging storytelling. Things that don't give you what you, as a consumer, want (like people wanting Thors to be alive, and thinking is a waste).
So I'm just incredibly honored that I'm being able to witness this story become an anime. And in such good hands.
Jul 29, 2019 9:42 AM
Aug 2016
Now the story will really begins, really liking nthe way that wit is adapting Vinland.
Jul 29, 2019 10:13 AM
Jul 2019
Easily the best anime of the season.Back to back great shows from WIT Studio.
Jul 29, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2019
"I want to be a warrior and kill all the enemies! My daddy is the strongest and can kill anyone! War is the awesomest and killing enemies is the greatest! Oh, no! Daddy got killed! Boohoo :("
Jul 29, 2019 12:01 PM

Sep 2017
Thors was the brother of Whitebeard. I got the same feeling watching him and whitebeard die. RIP great legends. *Playing Legends Never Die in my head*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2019 12:29 PM
Jul 2019
It was so very beautiful and yet so tragic. May you Rest In Peace Thors
Jul 29, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2008
episode was over in heartbeat, very good show so far
Jul 29, 2019 2:02 PM

Feb 2014
The turning point of the series is here. Most emotional moment of the story that changed Thorfin for the first part. The death was too much too handle even though it was coming. Thors ideal as a true warrior was strong enough to shake Askladd and his men. Askeladd the wittiest of men in the series got shook up by how a man never went back on his ideals. RIP Thors.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 29, 2019 2:09 PM

Jul 2019
Dramatic episode, awesome animations. Anime of the year material.

Would this kid just stop whining and toughen up?
*later*
OMG...What have we created? :O
Jul 29, 2019 2:20 PM
May 2019
Thors was a gentle giant provoked by some spineless back-stabbers, seeing him slowly die whilst hoping for the goodwill of his son and his home...I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.