Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2019 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, this anime just goes to show how difficult it's to save people or villages. Decisions are tough to make.

A very tense episode. I'm glad they adapted the duel from chapter 13 as one of the main highlights. Bjorn is seriously such a badass in this show. 4+ chapters adapted this episode so I find this pace rather interesting if they keep at it.
Stark700Jul 28, 2019 8:34 AM
Jul 28, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2017
anime of the year continues to deliver.

This episode was so intense and sad. The music of this anime is a god damn masterpiece. That ending sequence of Thorfinn's anger was absolutely nuts.

Glad this show is back, its been 3 rough weeks, everything else this season is just mediocre at best.
Jul 28, 2019 9:44 AM

Dec 2014
Incredible episode again, I'm glad I didn't cave into the temptation to read the manga.

The moment they got trapped last episode I instinctively knew that the only way out of this was for Thors to die but somehow I kept hoping that he would live but I guess that really was the only way out. :(

Thors was a great man, you could sense that he'd gained a lot of wisdom over the years after he gave up fighting, you can really tell when he proclaims that a warrior doesn't need a sword. It's a shame he had to go out this way. I teared up at the end when Thorfin hugged him and with his trembling hand he tried embrance his son. I hope he rests in peace. :(

I hope we still get to see him a lot through backstories and stuff, I'll really miss his character.
Askeladd seems like an interesting character, he seems to prioritize his objective but he seems good enough because he let everyone else go and also didn't torment Thorfinn after realizing that he stowed away on theirs ship.

Thorfin's scream as he proclaimed revenge was ear piercing, my god.
I can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 28, 2019 9:51 AM
Apr 2019
An incredible episode as expected. I was really glad when they nailed Thorfinn's expression and his anger in the last scene. I hope they keep this pace and quality throughout the season.
Jul 28, 2019 9:55 AM

Oct 2018
Oh boi not ready to be decimated emotionally again....
Jul 28, 2019 9:56 AM

Feb 2017
Great episode with some really good animation. It felt intense even though I knew what was going to happen. Next one should be completely anime original.

I love how Askeladd, even though so overpowered by Thors and with no chance of winning, still managed to showcase his shrewdness.
Jul 28, 2019 10:01 AM
Sep 2015
I'm in love-hate relationship with this show. It has so many fully grown muscular men tailored for my taste but there's so many deaths, such a waste of good resource. Thors' death in this episode is the prime example, it'll take a lot of episodes, or even the whole show for Thorfinn to grown to be as muscular as his father.
Jul 28, 2019 10:04 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode. It has been a long 3 weeks.

RIP Thors. He was a cool guy. I was impressed by the way he was fighting, not a killing anyone. It's a shame he had to die. Now Thorfinn will be consumed by revenge.

Jul 28, 2019 10:05 AM

Apr 2019
stupid way to die because of being soft lmao
could have just decimated all of them
there was no guaruantee they let his son live anyway so there was no reason to surrender
especially since this askeladd guy doesn't have a sense of honor
i didn't like this episodes writing but overall great episode though
sorry but i just don't care about this guy dying in this episode and it felt forced, its way too soon and i've had no time to get attached to him
the animation was fucking amazing
Nim0174Jul 28, 2019 10:16 AM
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 10:06 AM
Oct 2016
Damn the wait is finally over! Great episode :")
Jul 28, 2019 10:19 AM
Jun 2015
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die
there was no guaruantee they let his son live anyway so there was no reason to surrender
i didn't like this episodes writing overall great episode though
sorry but i just don't care about this guy dying in this episode and it felt forced, its way too soon and i've had no time to get attached to him
Well. Thors was ment to die. This whole arc was a flashback.
Jul 28, 2019 10:21 AM

Jul 2017
Kinda wished they didn't directly spoil it in the synopsis, I mean it was obvious Thors was gonna die but they coulda at least left it up for the viewers to see lel. Still a great episode and that fight animation was spot on

So are we gonna continue with kid Thorfinn or do we jump straight into a time skip?
Jul 28, 2019 10:25 AM

Feb 2011
Now this is what most modern anime lack. The story is unforgiving, characters actions have real consequences. Well executed, can't wait to see what happens next.
Jul 28, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
Nim0174 said:

Did we watch the same episode? Askeladd does have a sense of honor. If he didn't he would have killed and enslaved the rest of the crew after Thors kicked the bucket and literally nobody could have stopped him.

Short_Circut said:

So are we gonna continue with kid Thorfinn or do we jump straight into a time skip?

According to some interview it's going to be more of kid Thorfinn which is going to be brand new content that wasn't in the manga.
Jul 28, 2019 10:28 AM

Apr 2019
shane_nichols said:
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die
i didn't like this episodes writing overall great episode though
Well. Thors was ment to die. This whole arc was a flashback.

thats the problem it was too predictable and they wasted his entire character as a plot convenience for his son's growth

GreenEmu said:
Nim0174 said:

Did we watch the same episode? Askeladd does have a sense of honor. If he didn't he would have killed and enslaved the rest of the crew after Thors kicked the bucket and literally nobody could have stopped him.

Short_Circut said:

According to some interview it's going to be more of kid Thorfinn which is going to be brand new content that wasn't in the manga.

fair point, but its a tiny sense of honor, if he had actual sense of honor he'd have taken the L and retreated
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 10:29 AM
Jun 2016
omg... this ep was kreyzi.
It's a masterpiece, i love it!
The 1v1 scene and the ending with Thorfin was absolutely nuts.
Jul 28, 2019 10:30 AM

Jul 2017
GreenEmu said:
Short_Circut said:

oh damn, was kinda hoping we'd jump straight into "present" times but oh well
Jul 28, 2019 10:32 AM

Jul 2017
Nim0174 said:
fair point, but its a tiny sense of honor, if he had actual sense of honor he'd have taken the L and retreated

At the end of the day you have to keep in mind that he's a mercenary. People who make a living off of killing aren't usually the honorable type. Thors was honestly lucky enough that Askeladd stayed true to his promise and let the rest of them go, even after that one guy with the ponytail attacked him.
Jan 2013
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb

Apr 2019
GamerIsTheNamer said:
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die because of being soft lmao

yea if its more people dying because they are being soft / naive vikings then yea probably xD

i mean don't get me wrong i already love this show but stuff like that triggers me

GreenEmu said:
Nim0174 said:

At the end of the day you have to keep in mind that he's a mercenary. People who make a living off of killing aren't usually the honorable type. Thors was honestly lucky enough that Askeladd stayed true to his promise and let the rest of them go, even after that one guy with the ponytail attacked him.

yea i know, thats the problem, thor was being soft not killing when he knew they weren't the type to hold onto promises, he couldn't have been sure that they wouldn't kill his son so he should have killed all of them from the start

xeco said:
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb

i mean its ep 4 kinda early to judge, but i probably agree, its been rather straight forward and predictable, it just depends on where it is going to go from here on out, it definitely has potential
Nim0174Jul 28, 2019 10:37 AM
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 2014
another flawless episode to me. Even though I knew what was gonna happen it teared me up.
Jul 28, 2019 10:33 AM

Apr 2017
Gosh, that was so hard to watch. But this is a real masterpiece.
Jul 28, 2019 10:39 AM

Nov 2018
Really good episode, the wait is finally over.

Can't wait for things to come

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jul 28, 2019 10:40 AM

Apr 2014
Man everything here is really nice and spot on. Never thought this would be great. However, the way how Thor died was pitiful. I can understand why he changed to much so save, and not kill anyone. But still being soft at situations where your life is in danger along with your comrades or men. You can't be a softie or even be merciful. Because in any battlefield or assassination given, anything can really happen. Such as what Askeladd did, he was going to kill him any way possible. His skills and combat was impressive, but I wasn't even sure if he was even serious, but Thor knew he was strong which is why he went all out against him. Looking forward to see where Thorfinn will go, but knowing what the opening and synopsis be giving me. This will be pretty obvious. I hope the road Thorfinn goes on will be a very hard one. Knowing his eyes and rage will never be quenched until he kills the man responsible. The young lad is going to have to go through 'hell' to even reach him.
Jul 28, 2019 10:41 AM

Sep 2014
The series keeps delivering after that long break. Askeladd's men assassinated Thors despite him winning the duel and now Thorfinn takes the dark path of revenge. Time to see, how Thorfinn changes for the worse now. Loved the choreography this week. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Jul 28, 2019 10:42 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was something else....If you've been hating on this series all this time, you need to find a new target ASAP because this is primetime right here
Jul 28, 2019 10:45 AM
Jul 2019
man, it was incredible to watch how thors got admired for the mercenary's leader, he realized how thors was a great man who had a great conviction of your strength and even so he doesn't resort just by it. It was a amazing episode dude
Jul 28, 2019 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Had a good laugh reading some of the posts about how Thors is "soft" and "stupid to let them get away", if that's the interpretation of his characterization from 4 episodes, wonder what would happen if the anime ever gets second season reaching Farmland lol. Especially when the anime already made it a point about his firm beliefs and how his worldview changed in the previous episodes.

GreenEmu said:

Interesting, young Thorfinn's characterization is pretty easy to mess up so hopefully it goes well.
Jul 28, 2019 10:49 AM

Nov 2018
alphazero4um said:
Man everything here is really nice and spot on. Never thought this would be great. However, the way how Thor died was pitiful. I can understand why he changed to much so save, and not kill anyone. But still being soft at situations where your life is in danger along with your comrades or men. You can't be a softie or even be merciful. Because in any battlefield or assassination given, anything can really happen. Such as what Askeladd did, he was going to kill him any way possible. His skills and combat was impressive, but I wasn't even sure if he was even serious, but Thor knew he was strong which is why he went all out against him. Looking forward to see where Thorfinn will go, but knowing what the opening and synopsis be giving me. This will be pretty obvious. I hope the road Thorfinn goes on will be a very hard one. Knowing his eyes and rage will never be quenched until he kills the man responsible. The young lad is going to have to go through 'hell' to even reach him.

He knew he was gonna die the momment he left the island, he just didnt wanted to die in front of his kid because he knew what would happen.
Jul 28, 2019 10:49 AM

Feb 2018
I have a feeling Askelaad is going to be haunted by the fact he didn't win that duel. And obviously there will be no rematch.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Jul 28, 2019 10:57 AM

Mar 2016
Shit... I fucking cried for Thors.
The cinematography was fucking beautiful and maximized everything in this episode.
Great conclusion to the introductory arc which is probably my new favorite in anime in general.
Best of the show and season thus far.
Jul 28, 2019 10:58 AM

Jul 2014
That fight between Thors and Askelaad was really tense the whole way through, partially because of their respective qualities as warriors, but also because it was plain that Askelaad was going to cheat at some point. Curious to see what happens now, as Thorfinn is going to have a lot of catching up to do if he ever hopes to fulfil his vow of vengeance.
Jul 28, 2019 11:00 AM

Oct 2018
It was a good episode, but so far the show didn't manage to impress me, it's not exactly what I was expecting

It's kinda slow so far, but I know, it's just the prologue to the real story, so I'm not judging it yet
Jul 28, 2019 11:05 AM
Mar 2018
Incredible. Really tore the tears out of my eyes. I do think the pacing was a bit this episode, but perhaps I'm just impatient... I dunno. The last half of the episode was insane though.
anoncologyJul 28, 2019 11:12 AM
Jul 28, 2019 11:06 AM
Apr 2016
That was insanely intense. So many mind tricks in Thors' and blond-guy's fight. Unfortunate that Thors died, however, that will serve as a lesson to the child.
Jul 28, 2019 11:10 AM

Oct 2017
For me this story died with Thors. If it does center around that fricken, stupid brat from now on, i'm not interested in it...
Jul 28, 2019 11:13 AM

Mar 2018
Incredible episode, this show impresses me with each new entry.

I really loathe the notion that "predictable = bad". You had to have some inclination that Thors wasn't going to survive very long, because it was heavily and repeatedly foreshadowed. They threw up death flags everywhere. And if you have seen Game of Thrones you would have recognized Thors as Vinland Saga's Ned Stark. In this time, in this place, as in Westeros, there is no room for honorable men to survive. At the point that our heroes were trapped, at the very least Thors' fate was sealed. Because of course it was. Because that flows logically and makes sense.

So yes, Thors died. Yes, you saw it coming. The writers *wanted you* to see it coming. With story beats like this, it's the journey that is more important than the destination.

The inverse approach of course is the groan-inducing "SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtAtIoNs" strategy as seen in the last season of Game of Thrones, and in The Last Jedi, where the writers just pen in as much nonsensical BS as possible, because they value surprising the audience over presenting a coherent story.

I'm glad the writer(s) here chose cohesive storytelling.
Jul 28, 2019 11:15 AM

Mar 2017
I get that Thors wanted to stick to his values of not killing but he made the stupid mistake of believing that all men are as honourable as him and ultimately that's what got him killed. Also, that situation could've been so much worse; because he refuses to kill, Thors could have condemned the teens and his own son to a life time of slavery.

My heart completely broke for Thorfinn though. It's ten times worse than just losing his father because he has to try to deal with the anger about why he's father would choose not to kill his enemy. Poor lad 😭
Jul 28, 2019 11:17 AM

Oct 2018
I think Thors' death has to be the most honourable, sad yet beautiful deaths I have ever seen. We all knew reading the synopsis that when they left their home Thors' was going to die. But once they encountered Askeladd he made his death honourable or at least avoidable (with the duel) because his son tagged along.

Really wanted Askeladd to uphold the rules of a duel but like he said, he was being paid to kill Thors so why would he let him go on the grounds of something noble like a duel when he's in it for something dirty like an assassination?

I could feel Thorfinn's anger at the end of the episode through the screen and all I can say is that his development will be entertaining and emotional af.

Just really wish they didn't make me like Thors so much just to see him go, some tears spilled because he was such a good man. Didn't kill a single person, only injured. It's not even about being a softie like some people are saying, Thors was moral, righteous and deserves all types of respect. Rest in peace to a true warrior.

~ These boys must be protected at all costs ~
Jul 28, 2019 11:17 AM

Sep 2017
Amazing episode!! I'm so looking forward to the next one. I'm glad Vinland Saga is back!!
Jul 28, 2019 11:18 AM
Jul 2019
Everyone here want to talk about Vinland Saga Anime or manga please join here so you can talk to others and post about it! http://aminoapps.com/c/Vinland
Jul 28, 2019 11:20 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fabulous stuff this episode, intense and emotional right to the core!

Bjorn letting go of Thorfinn there plus Askeladd’s moment of admiration there just goes to show what a true and complete warrior Thors truly has become into! 28 injuries yet no deaths and unfazed by two warships and Bjorn’s berserk-ness, now that’s some mind-boggling stuff! Phenomenal cinematography with the effect of the arrows after Askeladd’s signal and then that glorious music followed by Ari’s little outburst, simply top-notch! Thorfinn sneaking into one of Askeladd’s ships is really commendable, in terms of the presence of mind to go for it, but that buildup of rage and desire for revenge was pretty good too!

Rest in Peace, Thors!

All in all, a really great episode and can’t wait to see how things are like in the present time of the story now (after a little more anime original stuff which is always welcome if done right)!

Link to the Director’s interview (eng-subbed): https://twitter.com/v_saga_anime/status/1155542065477894144?s=21.
_MushiRock11_Jul 28, 2019 11:31 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 28, 2019 11:22 AM

Jul 2014
The moment Thors' kid snuck in with them I knew he'll die via using his kid against him, glad to know this cliche is still strong, that being said the one that I didn't expect was how naive Thors was for sacrificing himself for them when the bastard he fought literally didnt give a shit about codes and stuffs, how he believed he'll go through with not murdering everyone even after killing him is beyond me, he's op af he could have incapacitated them all if he wanted but nope.
Don't know, nothing really impressed me this episode. I blame people who overhyped this too much and gave me too much expectations for it.

I get that this is Thorfin's story and he needed to have a good motive for this to become a revenge story but damn... at least don't make it look too dumb. Just got in and already not feeling Thorfin's backstory.

Am I over reacting? maybe. I didn't want Thors to die in such a dumb way but whatever. Hopefully Thorfin becomes a badass like his dad.
Jul 28, 2019 11:23 AM

Jun 2014
Well, Thors dying was predictable and expected but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad thing. Like someone above me mentioned, it was pretty obvious Thors was going to die, especially since that was more than likely going to be used as the thing that turns Thorfinn into the warrior he's clearly going to become. Overall it was an intense, emotional episode. And man, Thorfinn's screams at the end of the episode, you can feel the pain in those screams.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 28, 2019 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
what a fucking episode!

so this is like a revenge story (like Attack on Titan joke) im sure the story will develop in another way (just like Attack on Titan lol joke again)

but damn this episode is so well done

Thors death flags really did become true (and i also got spoiled by the MAL synopsis thread about it)

that line "True Warriors do not need weapons" is that like saying "I fight myself (inner demons)" like improving your willpower (or self-control) instead like Ryu from Street Fighter Alpha movie
degJul 28, 2019 11:30 AM
Jul 28, 2019 11:24 AM
Oct 2017
xeco said:

And you would be wrong. Because this is Askeladd's story.
Jul 28, 2019 11:26 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Jul 28, 2019 11:29 AM
Apr 2016
They threw any pretending to realism just like the father guy threw them into water with a fist slap. Well, at least they are not aiming high and don't pretend like it.
Re:formed
Jul 28, 2019 11:29 AM
Sep 2016
Nim0174 said:

maybe you forgot about the archers? and the fact that it has been said many times that Thor would have been saved only if he had been alone.

You didn't understand Askeladd, but Thor understood him very well , because they communicated with their eyes.
Jul 28, 2019 11:32 AM

Oct 2017
xeco said:

Not really Askeladd and another character we have yet to be introduced to are the main focus of this arc honestly as well as the general war in Britain. Thorfinn's desire for revenge isn't really the main focus of the story it's more of a driving factor to put him into the conflict but it doesn't eat up that much time.
BilboBaggins365Jul 28, 2019 11:37 AM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.