Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2019 10:59 AM

Sep 2014

What are your thoughts on the teaser?
Maybe it's just me but I cringe at Chinese people talking in English in a historical setting. It's ok for cartoons I guess, but here with real people it doesn't look natural.
plus why doesn't she tie her hair up when fighting?

edit: Dec. 5 - New official trailer is out!
sunsetoceanDec 6, 2019 9:11 AM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 2019 2:08 PM

Feb 2018
Holy shit. They're going to rehash everything in the catalog, aren't they?
Jul 13, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2018
I will only watch if it has the "Make a man out of you" song in it.

But knowing current year Disney, they would probably consider it "Sexist, misogynist, etc" and would not include it.
Jul 13, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2018
No way!!!!!!!!!!
The old legend of Walt Disney is getting a film?!
Mulan is my 3rd favorite from Walt Disney shows/movies.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 13, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2015
Honestly, I'm more interested this time around since they're bothering to shake things up by not completely copying the original. Add to the fact that they won't be going down the singing character's route and same OST is even better considering the singing thing didn't really work out on the Lion King remake. It might not be as good as the original as most of these are, it would at least be a more interesting take on a remake
Jul 13, 2019 7:07 PM

May 2015
Wait..wait...wait...Why is Mulan fighting without her male disguise? Oh they better not screw this up. Mulan's my favorite Disney movie. If "Make a Man out of You" is not part of the soundtrack, this movie is an automatic fail. It will be a Shamefur Dispray that will bring dishonor to all of us and our cows!
Jul 13, 2019 7:12 PM

Oct 2015
Tarotist said:
Wait..wait...wait...Why is Mulan fighting without her male disguise? Oh they better not screw this up. Mulan's my favorite Disney movie. If "Make a Man out of You" is not part of the soundtrack, this movie is an automatic fail. It will be a Shamefur Dispray that will bring dishonor to all of us and our cows!
It was said the original songs would still be there but wouldn't be sung by the characters but rather just instrumentals playing in the background so technically it still is part of the ost
Jul 13, 2019 7:13 PM

Jan 2009
lol another one but at least the girl in this one is hot

next will be Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Jul 13, 2019 8:14 PM

Jun 2019
Within the past couple years I read about a plan agreed upon by Disney however far back to remake essentially all of their animated theatrically released films (at least the commercial hits) as live action remakes, so that's why they've been streaming out like a slow drip for years now - The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, etc. It's already a set game plan that I guess is going to take them into the 2020s.

Haven't seen a single one of these remakes and have no real desire to. Came the closest to seeing the Beauty and the Beast remake in 2017 and then heard last minute they shoved some agenda-pushing BS into it.

With rare exceptions, the only remakes I ever really see are ones I saw growing up before I ever saw the original or remakes of films I found unsatisfactory in the first place. If I was happy with the first film, I generally see no reason to see a remake. I think they're just released for the next generation more than anyone to be exposed to an entertainment product they know has a history of success. They fall back on a tried and true formula to generate more sales.

Growing up in the 90s, I see no need for myself for remakes of 80s and 90s films at all. If you want to remake the classics from the 20s and the 30s shot in black and white or with primitive special effects, that's a different story, but I personally feel no need to see a remake of a movie from 1998.
Jul 13, 2019 11:26 PM

Feb 2018
deg said:
lol another one but at least the girl in this one is hot

next will be Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Before long, they'll even start dipping into the Disney Channel Original Movies catalog. Really looking forward to the Zenon reboots.
Once they finally run out of other corpses to molest, maybe we'll get a remake of Song of the South.

And, after all of this, there still won't be a DVD/BD release of Pepper Ann. I fucking hate Disney.
Jul 13, 2019 11:29 PM

Jul 2017
its unnatural to me
chinese is my native language and im not used to seeing asians dressing in traditional costumes speaking english to each other
* on a different note, i do hope disney can stop with these remakes and focus on coming up with innovative movies instead
Jul 13, 2019 11:29 PM

Feb 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
that's why they've been streaming out like a slow drip

I think "ejaculating forth like a bout of explosive diarrhea" is a better analogy.
Jul 13, 2019 11:45 PM
Feb 2014
I am absolutely offended by the lack of diversity in the trailer #DisneyIsCancelled
Jul 14, 2019 12:26 AM

Feb 2018
Really looking forward to the Susie Q reboot as well, only with an updated, super-friendly LGBTQ+ POC cast this time as well.
Jul 14, 2019 9:32 AM

Jun 2019
casual_filth said:
Really looking forward to the Susie Q reboot as well, only with an updated, super-friendly LGBTQ+ POC cast this time as well.

Excuse you. LGBTQIA+ Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer OR Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual OR Allied.

Heteronormative cisgendered apostate.
Jul 14, 2019 9:36 AM

Feb 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
casual_filth said:

Excuse you. LGBTQIA+ Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer OR Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual OR Allied.

I'm really trying! :[ Please, send me your PayPal! I'm so sry! :'[
Jul 14, 2019 9:52 AM

Dec 2013
Mulan was my second favorite Disney movie after Notre Dame, so I guess it will be interesting to see. I'd prefer them to speak Chinese though, but I guess I couldn't sing along to the songs if they did. Hmm...

That being said the Disney live-action rehashes have been pretty bad so far, so my expectations for this are 0.
Jul 14, 2019 10:07 AM

Jun 2019
NthDegree said:
after Notre Dame

The single most underrated in the entire Disney canon.
Jul 14, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2015
Why isn't Mulan black where is my diversity Disney SMH
Jul 14, 2019 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
Only_Brad said:
I will only watch if it has the "Make a man out of you" song in it.

But knowing current year Disney, they would probably consider it "Sexist, misogynist, etc" and would not include it.

This makes me sad. I really liked that song.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Jul 14, 2019 5:29 PM
a car

Jun 2017
The new "hyper-sensitive-feminist"- or whatever the history books are gonna call it- thing that's going on in the U.S. is going to have a big impact on this movie. Good thing I don't care the movie at all. But I will of course be reading the critics' reviews of it out of morbid curiosity when it actually releases.

Side Note: Japanese Disney Princess when? (Ghibli's Kaguya-hime doesn't count)
Jul 14, 2019 6:09 PM

Dec 2014
Why isn't Mulan a black transgender feminist with missing limbs, 14 IQ and have rainbow colored hair?? Disney smh for not caring about minorities.
Jul 14, 2019 7:11 PM
Feb 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
casual_filth said:

Hold up, you forgot Sex Workers. So it's LGBTQIASW+
Jul 15, 2019 2:39 AM

Jun 2016
Disney is doomed.

They are losing money on all of these attempted nostalgia cash-ins. Along with the cultural pandering (which just makes their extremely sketchy past look even worse).

The Avatar park in Animal Kingdom was a gigantic waste of money, considering it's nearly a dead franchise and the park came ten years too late.

As cool as Galaxy's Edge looks, I hear it's a separate charge to get in, food is insanely overpriced even by Disney standards, they have no real e-ticket attractions and the build your own lightsaber thing is two hundred fucking dollars, which you could literally design and order your own movie-prop-quality lightsaber from Saberforge or the like for that kind of money. Hell, I have a black series Kylo Ren lightsaber as a wall decoration (the later, fixed version of the Black series Kylo saber), and I paid less than that.
Jul 15, 2019 3:18 AM

Oct 2017
The new movie looks cool, but the only reason I'd check it out is that it's Disney (I used to call it Disnep because of the font).

I'd really like to see something original and new, though. They're revamping way too many old movies nowadays for the younger audience, that in a way it's ruining it.
I also miss the cartoons. The movie looks way too modern for how it's supposed to be. Why do we have to get a Netflix adaptation for Mulan now?

Disney, give me your cartoons again, 2D or 3D. You're a major studio to do that stuff.
Jul 15, 2019 4:00 PM

Feb 2018
Whatever happened to simply promoting additional theatrical runs of the originals? I'd rather see those on the big screen than a bunch of worthless, "updated" remakes.
Jul 15, 2019 5:40 PM

Nov 2017
This one actually looks watchable! I'll check it out when it gets released. Hope they do my favourite Disney princess Mulan justice. I would also like Jackie Chan to play some role in the movie if possible (since he voiced Shang and sang "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" for the Cantonese and Mandarin versions)
Jul 15, 2019 7:32 PM

Jun 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
Within the past couple years I read about a plan agreed upon by Disney however far back to remake essentially all of their animated theatrically released films (at least the commercial hits) as live action remakes, so that's why they've been streaming out like a slow drip for years now - The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, etc. It's already a set game plan that I guess is going to take them into the 2020s.

Haven't seen a single one of these remakes and have no real desire to.

Growing up in the 90s, I see no need for myself for remakes of 80s and 90s films at all. If you want to remake the classics from the 20s and the 30s shot in black and white or with primitive special effects, that's a different story, but I personally feel no need to see a remake of a movie from 1998.
Literally everything he said.

hell I aint even seen some of thier classics, which were gay ripoffs of old euro horror stories anyway. I much prefer those.

I havent even watched old mulan, [I did twenty odd years ago] but the ohnly thing I remember was it was tryng to pass himself off as a man cuz women were lower in old china according to disney. I watched the trailer during far from home, shes not even trying to pass herself off as a man, whats the point then?
Jul 15, 2019 10:32 PM

Feb 2019
Disney better not ruin my favorite Disney Princess. But im getting really tired of these live-action remakes, i didn't enjoy any of it since Maleficent.
Jul 15, 2019 10:55 PM

Nov 2008
Nope, not watching it. Disney's creative bankruptcy disgusts me. THIS is what we get instead of new traditional animations. I'm just gonna keep collecting the ones Hollywood made before they forgot how to draw. Watched Anastasia on Blu-ray today. That was enchanting. Traditional animation can do things photography and CG cannot.

Jul 16, 2019 11:19 PM

Aug 2015
Looks a little too action oriented to me judging by the trailer. Mulan should be about being true to yourself, ignoring societal norms and not letting others tell you who you should be. Honestly my expectations aren't very high, but then they never are with these live-action disney adaptations.
Jul 17, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2011
Disney can fuck off with their remakes. The moment they fucked up Lion King, they lost my money for any of their bloody remakes.
Jul 21, 2019 10:12 PM

Apr 2018
I'm honestly over these live action Disney remakes. I wish they could just re-release the original animated films instead.
Jul 22, 2019 12:27 AM

Mar 2011
A re-imagining more than a remake. No Mushu means I'm good waiting for cable, if even that, to watch it. I agree with others post here on the sentiments.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jul 22, 2019 7:41 AM

Jul 2016
i'm kind of just excited for it because i've loved watching liu yifei in all of her previous wuxia series/work.
it's also kind of interesting to see just how accurate of a depiction they'll be making it, i kind of have my
doubts but i don't really have strong opinions on it either way. i'd just watch it with my family for fun.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Jul 22, 2019 9:17 AM

Nov 2013
i was kinda on board until the fight scenes. not sure if i can be bothered with someone spinning and killing and flying over regular soldiers in a battle. is there a reason she can do this and others can't? (hur dur i know martial arts) i love wire fu films but generally when the majority of the characters are capable of it. kinda gets boring just watching someone do superhero moves on regular dudes.

i do love the legend though so i'll definitely watch it!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 22, 2019 9:45 AM

Oct 2018
The teaser looks pretty good, but I can't say that I'd be interested in watching this Live Action adaptation, quite frankly, I think a lot of the live remakes Disney has been regurgitating were better off staying cartoons.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jul 22, 2019 9:56 AM

May 2018
Teaser looks good to me , i might give it a try..
Jul 22, 2019 12:46 PM
Jul 2019
sunsetocean said:

What are your thoughts on the teaser?
Maybe it's just me but I cringe at Chinese people talking in English in a historical setting. It's ok for cartoons I guess, but here with real people it doesn't look natural.
plus why doesn't she tie her hair up when fighting?

I havent watched the trailer and dont need to it is a giant triceratops turd.

If you are interested in the story i saw a pretty good chinese movie about the story a couple years ago.

I agree. Im not messing around with chinas in china speaking english. Maybe this movie was made for people to watch while on drugs and trip out at the ridiculousness.
Please check out the Cosmic Warriors motion comic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3llVODuPfHtN70i9gKKsg

The most censored motion comic on MyAnimeList.net

Aug 1, 2019 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
I personally cannot wait for this as I think it looks absolutely fantastic & I just know it’s gonna be awesome ^_^
Aug 1, 2019 9:53 AM

Jul 2016
Not interested in the live action version after hearing:

Aug 1, 2019 10:46 AM

Dec 2016
cinematography looks good. also would have preferred for there to be chinese audio, but it's obvious why disney have shied away from that. seems like it's going to attract a different audience though, considering that it's going to have less of the comedy and more historical accuracy. still do wish they hadn't kicked out shan yu.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 1, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2015
Man, don't they love to milk the viewers dry using that nostalgia bias? I don't see neither Shang nor Mushu in there. The iconic song "Make a man out of you." will probably be removed too since it was Shang who sang it. There goes any saving graces that would make this cash grab watchable. Shame, as it's my favorite among the old Disney movies.
Auron_Aug 1, 2019 12:33 PM
Aug 2, 2019 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
casual_filth said:

It's still not super dragon friendly, because I miss Mushu and I'm disappointed that most people here didn't recognize or care for it. Hope, there will be dishonor on everyone's cow here.

I might watch it later, when it's not in the theatre anymore, because I don't want to support that they melk the dishonored cash cow so much.
The visuals look very neat tho, but I fear that they destroyed her character by making her too badass.
I googled, if Mushu will bw included and found one of a few essays / articles, which said "No, some elements aren't there, but that's the point now, because Mulan doesn't struggle anymore and can fight on her very own!!! (like the strong independent woman she is!)"
So uhm ... you are telling me, dehumanizing women and making Mary Sues out of them is a good thing? Okay then.
Hope, that won't be her actual new characterization lol.
removed-userAug 2, 2019 5:31 PM
Dec 6, 2019 9:01 AM

Sep 2014
New Official trailer is out!

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Dec 7, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2009
that new trailer is hype the movie looks epic!
Dec 11, 2019 12:06 PM

Mar 2014
I heard that there isn't going to be music in the movie. Does anyone know if that's true or not? The movie has an amazing soundtrack...so I'd hope they would take advantage of that.
Dec 11, 2019 12:54 PM

Oct 2018
New mulan looks litty Im excited to see it its not a dum little kiddy version and thats fine by me it will be a new version of a classic but...A shame no mushu or alot of other characters
Dec 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Oct 2018
dinesj21 said:
I heard that there isn't going to be music in the movie. Does anyone know if that's true or not? The movie has an amazing soundtrack...so I'd hope they would take advantage of that.
No there's no music IDK if that will be a good thing we shall see
Dec 11, 2019 12:58 PM

Mar 2014
Mcswigganscat said:
dinesj21 said:
No there's no music IDK if that will be a good thing we shall see
Bummer...that's disappointing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7583 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» Is Kung Fu Panda 4 worth watching (NO SPOILERS)

Fukoku - Mar 24

3 by Fukoku »»
1 hour ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
8 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Today, 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.