Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2019 11:15 AM
Sep 2018
deg said:
Danpmss said:
Animation is the least of my worries and can be improved later on BDs.

BDs only correct drawings and background art (aka art style - a term made by fans)

i never heard or seen a BD that improves the animation too
Bakemonogatari had a lot of BD fixes. The original TV run of Bake was literally incomplete though, so it's a different case.
Apr 9, 2019 11:17 AM
Nov 2015
Seems like JC Staff definitely don't know how to colorize, especially metal. Other than that, it was alright.

And, I gotta say, it would be a million times worse if Madhouse did it nowadays.
Apr 9, 2019 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
IIRC the last time I actually enjoyed a work from J.C staff was back in 2015 (Danmachi S1) not saying I enjoyed the 1st ep of this, the color palette just ruins even the fine cuts for me.
Apr 9, 2019 11:23 AM
Apr 2016
it's meh. solid 5/10. the worst part is that the first episode usually has the best animation in the series,,, so we're screwed lol. also is it just me, or do the characters move kind of.. slow?
Apr 9, 2019 11:24 AM

Mar 2015
hahahaha J.C Staff

Aug 2013
Decent start.

It's nice seeing Saitama again. The OP is nice.

Jan 2018
AnimeTard said:
Dunno why they even got the job, jc staff clearly isn't good enough for an action anime like OPM

Neither is madhouse
Apr 9, 2019 11:27 AM
Jan 2018
It wasn't that bad. But we will see at the end of the season. If people where overreacting or not or they where to easy to Believe rumours and some Twitter user who apprently got alot of things wrong.

Still beats DAL and index though

Did they try to make the metal from Genesis and the robot look real which is why it looks like that
Mattinator95Apr 9, 2019 11:32 AM
Apr 9, 2019 11:27 AM

May 2017
Man.. this was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The show clearly hasn't lost its charm when it comes to its comedy and characters.
I couldn't stop grinning with King's scenes.

All the more grinning when the guitar sad version of the first opening played. One of my favorite OSTs from season 1.

Action had atleast a few cuts that looked decent to good. Sure most of the episode was stills and panning, but I think if you can accept that this will be nowhere near as good as season 1 from the production side, you can definitely enjoy this.

The thing that bothered me the most was definitely Genos his arms. I know drawing it in 2D like in season 1 takes more time and effort but that is just such a bad decision for a corner cut.. Give me more of the stills instead of ruining Genos his character..

One thing that I also noticed is the unfortunate change in sound design. The action sound effects sound pretty meh, even bad sometimes. I hate distorted loud explosion sound effects. I cannot fathom why this is a thing in some animes.

I just hope that they can somehow make the good fights look half decent listen I'm not expecting Saitama vs Boros 2.0 but just give me something.
Apr 9, 2019 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
First episode is not explode, the OP song is not catchy as the first season.
But since Mob season 2 is better than the first season (despite being less popular), I still expect OPM season 2 to be better than the first season too. In ONE we trust.
Apr 9, 2019 11:32 AM

Apr 2018
The animations during the fight scenes were terrible. It is barely watchable.
Apr 9, 2019 11:34 AM

Sep 2018
damn, it's even more hilarious hearing King talk than reading the manga, can't wait for the next episodes and i guess now i know why everyone is bashing this show, it's even worse than the PV i mean the animations have no problem but the coloring is what makes it bad, even the opening animation on the end credits does look bad now that i see it, i only have problems with the coloring, everything else is good, i'm hype to see Fubuki for next week, the whole volume 8 in one episode, damn, they really are amazing but it's just the coloring but i like the show nonetheless and i'm grateful it got a season 2
Apr 9, 2019 11:36 AM
Jan 2018
DumpsterKing said:
deg said:

BDs only correct drawings and background art (aka art style - a term made by fans)

Bakemonogatari had a lot of BD fixes. The original TV run of Bake was literally incomplete though, so it's a different case.

Attack on Titan season 1 did as well
Apr 9, 2019 11:36 AM

Jan 2018
phantomfandom said:
First episode is not explode, the OP song is not catchy as the first season.
But since Mob season 2 is better than the first season (despite being less popular), I still expect OPM season 2 to be better than the first season too. In ONE we trust.
it will not be better than season 1 man, the animation of season 2 looks like it has the budget of a bad romcom where the biggest action scene is the final episode.
Apr 9, 2019 11:37 AM
Nov 2018
this clearly below decent f*ckyou J.C staff. well I just hope they will not do the season 3

Mar 2014
Visuals were mostly ok. If the rumors about the bad production schedule are true I can only hope they will at least be able to keep up this quality.

The OP did not do anything for me, pretty dissapointing.

Jul 2013
We waited four years, we finally got season 2, it finally started airing, we finally got to the first Saitama fight, AND THEY FUCKING SKIPPED IT?!?!?!?! Nope, fuck this shit I'm out
Apr 9, 2019 11:38 AM

Sep 2018
Wasnt as bad as i expected it to be but still one of the things that made Season 1 so good was the Animation and it just isnt as great as Madhouse so it wont get Top 3 this Season,at least from the looks of the first episode

Again a anime ruined by the anime industry 6-7/10 episode
Mob is the better work from One and has the better anime change my mind
Apr 2018
my thoughts on One Punch-man s2?: ok the anime is good but not great especially the animation the overuse of gradient colors and bevel and emboss also the contrast seemingly not achieving the greatness of the first season some may say that the animation degrades the anime a lot but come to think of it the creator doesn't want to make the anime good after all he just wanted to tell a story in which the J.C. staff managed to do for me even though the body(animation) of OPM changed but the heart(story) of OPM is still there and it is still very engaging to the viewers that wanted to hear again a very good story :D
LydjenApr 9, 2019 11:45 AM

May 2016
If this was what they did for the first episode, the episode where you try to impress, clear doubts and pull people in, then... Uh.. Yeah. I'm still worried for what's to come, knowing there's way, way more demanding stuff than this laser fight coming. However it wasn't too bad really, compared to NORMAL not-OPM-Season-1 anime. What's troubling me more is the directing. So many weird cuts and transitions, for example that very first King scene/confrontation, it went from that Pervy tongue guy to the Robot monster (bad with names, sorry) really... weirdly. There was no real sense of the distance or time that passed, or really the change of location. Same with Genos and Saitama. It feels like they can't afford the animation work to show us even the basic locations a bit more and them moving about (this showed especially in that Genos fight, no tracking movement across any reasonable distance whatsoever, a big part of season 1's glorious animation work).. It comes off too obviously/abruptly as corner-cutting and it shouldn't. This whole episode just flowed weirdly.

My prediction is that the directing and overall management is what will be a let down the most here, not the animation. To me the staff for this just seem way too inexperienced to handle such demanding material well enough to please and meet the expectation. Something like this really needs experience to handle. Season 1 had that experience on board, season 2 doesn't seem to.

Anyway, imo it'll be how they handle the next episode that really determines the fan reception for this. This episode was easy comparatively.
ZaugrApr 9, 2019 2:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 2012
Yourmom53 said:
It ain't garbage but there is no point to watching the anime when the manga exist.

There is no point in reading colorless, motionless and mute drawing (manga) when the anime exist.
Apr 9, 2019 11:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
For all the worries that people had about had terrible the animation was supposedly going to be in the hands of JC Staff... that was totally fine really
Apr 9, 2019 11:44 AM

Jan 2019
Way better than the trailer, but still nowhere near good...

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
Apr 9, 2019 11:45 AM

Mar 2018
OPM doesn't deserve this... unacceptable trash is what was showed in this episode. Only the comedy was able to save this atrocity. Time to read the manga
poop
Apr 9, 2019 11:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm not a big OPM fan so I missed all the fan misgivings and trepidation about this. As a casual coming into the second season, I can honestly say that while its clearly a notch or two below the visuals and animation of the first season, it's not really that bad. The question is if the level is going to be consistent. Normally first episodes are better than what follows. Let's see if this studio can keep it up.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 9, 2019 11:48 AM
Jan 2016
thepath said:
Yourmom53 said:
It ain't garbage but there is no point to watching the anime when the manga exist.

There is no point in reading colorless, motionless and mute drawing (manga) when the anime exist.

The colors are garbage and the manga convey motion better than the anime

Apr 9, 2019 11:48 AM

Aug 2018
Honestly, I wan't expecting this, not as bad as the pool seems to tell it.
I haven't read the manga so I had no info at all about the story after last season.

There is a sure thing everyone can agree, it's way inferior than s1 first episode in every manner, but still, I don't find the utility of re-introducing Saitama while those who watch S2 surely have watched S1 as well and know who's Saitama, Genos etc

J.C Staff actually pulled off a complete bait (I mean for me it was) the second trailer was only clips from the first episode while I thought it was about the whole season. And even, they changed some bit of animation in the actual broadcasting, making me realize the teaser was probably more of technical demo than an actual trailer.

It started off weirdly but really turned back to tolerable and then funny and bad-ass as OPM truly is. I wasn't expecting King's true personality at all and it was really funny, watching him as a lonely otaku who plays loli visual novel is typical of ONE's writing, incredible comedic ton shifts. The main problem of this ep would be its title "Hero's come back" because Saitama is barely doing and saying anything, it's more centered around King and Genos, then a teasing for which foes are coming next.

At least, visual is not as bad as everyone were saying it would be, Genos against this robot was not that well choreographed but the animation was consistent and kinda explosive per moment, unfortunately there are a LOOOOOOT of unmoving and panoramic shots and it's a sin for something like OPM. Art was great tho, especially closed-ups facial amusing expressions and colors/effects are also good. Not BONES level but good.

Seiyus are once again delivering an almost perfect job and they stick to their characters even 4 years later. (I love so damn much Fubuki's voice )

Music is down right garbage not gonna lie, no themes, nothing memorable, and OP is ... what the shit ? It gives me weird vibes of something not completed, either visually or musically except for the last 15 seconds.

It is indeed disappointing but still great, Mob Psycho 2 ERASES OPM2 TO OBLIVION IN TERMS OF QUALITY for sure. But I liked it and I expect it to improve in quality especially for the plot which seems more important than S1.

James-LastOmnicApr 9, 2019 12:10 PM
Apr 9, 2019 11:49 AM
Apr 2018
Not bad. Better than what people said without even watching it lol. The colouring reminds me of Prison School. (Baka at drawing, don't judge me)
Apr 9, 2019 11:49 AM

Jul 2017
guess we're getting another slideshow instead of an animation, happens with most of the good manga series, it's whatever
Apr 9, 2019 11:51 AM
Apr 2017
Obviously I’m disappointed but it’s what you get when you have a staff rushing to get work done. The action was quite awful imo with the Genos scene, I did like the comedy and the pacing of the episode a lot. But having been fan of the original and the manga, I can’t say I’m too pleased at all. I just hope the quality doesn’t drop off even more
Apr 9, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2013
this should've be animated by Bones, look at Mob Psycho , a goodly animation from crap :/
Apr 9, 2019 11:54 AM

Sep 2016
Honestly speaking, the first episode looks much better than PV2.
Apr 9, 2019 11:55 AM

May 2012
Yourmom53 said:
thepath said:

The colors are garbage and the manga convey motion better than the anime

NO thanks. I'm not someone who concentrate on small details when I watch anime or read the manga

Watching anime with voice acting and ost is so much more entertaining than looking at lifeless drawing with no voices and motion.

Apr 9, 2019 11:57 AM
Sep 2018
What's with the Face colors and the metals colors.
JUST INCREASE THE DAMN SATURATION
Apr 9, 2019 11:57 AM

Feb 2018
It was actually good aside from darkish tone art,obviously its no madhouse quality but this works, I'm hyped for more tbh
Apr 9, 2019 11:58 AM

Jan 2014
My 1st and maybe last comment on forum but i just had to.

The downgrade is real in every aspect (for real I don't see any positves); even the freakin sound quality (Genos fight). 3,5 years apart between Madhouse version and this... and it looks everything but fresh. It just shouldn't have happened in that form.

One Big F Let Down Man

Apr 9, 2019 12:01 PM
May 2014
Not terrible but not impressive either.
Apr 9, 2019 12:01 PM
Apr 2019
the chapter was ok. the decent animation, better than the animation of the last cap of tate no yuusha, some karakuri circus caps and better than many naruto fights (except the best ones).
Apr 9, 2019 12:02 PM

Jan 2017
OPM is finally back! The comedy and plot is pretty much in the same vein as season 1 although art and animation is a step down but not as bad as I was anticipating based on the PV. Hoping that I have as much fun with this season as I did the last!
Apr 9, 2019 12:02 PM

Jan 2012
dayum it was better than I expected

Apr 9, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2018
Yikes that animation. Especially the OP looks jank as fuck. It is not as bad as I would have expected, but it is still really underwhelming. Pretty okay episode overall but the animation is just ugh
Apr 9, 2019 12:05 PM

Jul 2012
deg said:
Danpmss said:
Animation is the least of my worries and can be improved later on BDs.

You better take a look at Berserk 2016-2017's BDs, some differences were like day and night.

https://i.redd.it/piytt0serhsx.gif

While most don't improve the overall quality, they do revamp several sakuga sequences and straight insert new and more consistent sequences in the place of the TV version (which is the case in here as well, some scenes look really fine, although barely animated at times).

JC Staff almost always provide some BD fixes even for works they barely have time to improve upon in a tight schedule (see ToAru 3 bluray and its 50 fixed scenes per episode).
Apr 9, 2019 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
While I will admit, one punch man season 1 was a lightning strike, so I can't blame people for trying to snob up and saying it wont strike twice. The new animation is super bad ass, and I enjoyed seeing genos being a boss. The more serious tone is gonna do wonders for this anime. I think its going from over rated, to being your perfectly fine hype-train Shounen. I bet all the preseason haters are kind of feeling like tool bags, cause this first episode was the tits.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOO IT LOOOOKS DIIIFFFEEERRREEENNNNNNT" sure, but if its better different, isnt that a win?
removed-userApr 9, 2019 12:10 PM
Apr 9, 2019 12:07 PM

Aug 2015
kaneki_spaghetti said:
this clearly below decent f*ckyou J.C staff. well I just hope they will not do the season 3

lets just hope any competent studio or even Bones takes it.
Apr 9, 2019 12:08 PM
Jan 2016
Good start of the season|

I am glad to see Saitama and Genos back!

King's backstory was pretty funny!

And i think the aniamtion is not that bad!
Apr 9, 2019 12:09 PM

Jun 2015
Oh well that was garbage like I expected it to be.
Apr 9, 2019 12:10 PM

Sep 2010
I could complain about this or that but I'm just happy to have the second season.
Apr 9, 2019 12:10 PM

Sep 2017
So far the sakuga is not as bad as everyone thought it would be, but it's also nowhere near the height of the first season. The storyboarding for action scene is particularly flawed.
Apr 9, 2019 12:11 PM

Feb 2008
Lightning_Laxus said:
uninstallthegame said:

just as many shows do the same thing, especially the battle shonen ones

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SpoilerOpening/AnimeAndManga

Yes but this one is especially bad.

but seriously though, how many of you haven't read the manga?
Apr 9, 2019 12:15 PM

May 2018
The show is watchable so I'm watching it :3
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2019

389 by THEBIGNOODLER »»
Apr 10, 2:30 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - Jun 25, 2019

200 by Craneface »»
Mar 28, 2:52 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - May 7, 2019

244 by scorpioniclibra »»
Mar 14, 3:26 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xShinigami3125 - Apr 23, 2019

367 by Dr_tardo »»
Feb 21, 6:24 PM

» Bro deadass nearly died

Mei-o_Scarlett - Jan 17

3 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
Jan 17, 3:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.