Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2019 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The show is back and right off the bat, we got monsters causing trouble in town.Glad to see Genos back and being a badass again this season. He didn't waste time getting to work. I think it's kinda cool to hear the same OST they used for Genos again this episode.

Saitama is still the guy I remember with that casual attitude of his. Playing video games while there' shit going on outside lol. Tons of action this episode! Going to have to get used to the animation this season but whatever.
Apr 9, 2019 9:55 AM

Aug 2017
One Punch Man is back baby.

So, this season starts with an episode dedicated to King.
NurguburuApr 12, 2019 8:23 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 9, 2019 9:56 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so the art style is noticeably different to being with (the shading) but detailed, surprising comparing it to different series made by JC recently

There are awkward moments here and there with the shots

Sad to say that the start is disappointing

Let's see how more of a disappointment it will be later on

The animation is decent and sometimes passable here and there, but the amount of panning and still shots rip
MxxxstationApr 9, 2019 10:05 AM
Apr 9, 2019 9:56 AM

Dec 2017
well, it wasn't too bad up until the moment the action started lol. all the metalic parts have this weird cgi shine or gloss on them. the color palette has changed a lot, but at least the pace is ok. the whole episode were just 3 chapters revealing King's true nature

not remotely as good as the original, but bearable, at least for now. the only two things that are fucking killing me is the blur, it looks like shit

and Genos. just... fuck man, what have they done to you
uninstallthegameApr 9, 2019 10:03 AM
Apr 9, 2019 9:58 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Oh boy, so the (supposedly) nightmare of a production is already here, huh?

Well, for the most part, it doesn't look bad. Not too great either, but better than expected. The color palette is a bit ehh. Genos' CGI arms are more frightening than King's look.

Artwork is mostly fine, but the linework can be a bit weak. Animation cuts range from limited, to bad, to actually good. They even changed some animation cuts from the PV, like that Genos gomu gomu punch and that laser dodging cut was super short and the background's improved. Even the Saitama building jump was alright. Clearly J.C. Staff knew about the PV's disappointment and fixed some cuts last second (did they even have time for that O_O)

Lol, King being a fake and that "Kingu-oniichan" XD
Poor Genos be struggling while those two are just playing games. Even with limited production, the humor works just as same as S1.

We got Fubuki and Garou in this episode, so I'm not completely disappointed. Also, the OP is amazing!! I actually like it more than S1's OP.

I will say this... this is actually the best looking J.C. Staff TV production in years. And overall, artwork looks good and animations are above average. But nowhere near comparable to S1. A bit on the stiff side at times, but at least it's not a complete powerpoint presentation.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 9, 2019 10:04 AM
Apr 9, 2019 10:01 AM

Feb 2018
Kill it, ill it with fire.....
God fucking damnit, why????? What have they done to it.
Apr 9, 2019 10:03 AM

Nov 2016
Decent start and what a "surprise" it doesn't look completely like shit, but I will still enjoy the whining xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2019 10:04 AM
May 2016
It's... Okay? Like, I was expecting a Berserk 2016-tier mess. I don't know if that's the reason why I found it bearable? But still, clear downgrade from the first season. I love the OP song but the visuals for the most part are pretty mediocre for it. Don't know what to think, aside from that I have low expectations for the rest of the show.
Apr 9, 2019 10:05 AM

Mar 2016
My japanese is kind of shit but I liked the dynamic of King and Saitama and basically disliked everything else to a certain degree. The filter they add over the animation looks terrible.
azertz99Apr 9, 2019 10:22 AM
Apr 9, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 2014
Yo that was actually bearable, not as bad as the PV showed it would be but still a far cry from any ep from the prev season, and considering this was the 1st ep where they've finished early and had more time to work on I only fear for the worst in the upcoming ones, I hear they only finished around 3 eps? before this aired, thats a red flag unless the animators they get are talented the current quality won't last.
That being said...
Genos CGI arms made my eyes bleed, the color palette compared to the prev season is horrible, I ain't kidding, it made my eyes sting a little just watching Genos fight.
King's face.... I don't even need to comment on this one do I....
VanishingKira said:
Seems the camera moves more than the actual characters do.

I've noticed this as well, guess its their way of hiding bad animation.
-StrayApr 9, 2019 10:11 AM
Apr 9, 2019 10:07 AM
Jan 2019
Nice! I was expecting something much worse. I mean, the animation is nowhere near as good as season 1, but it is pretty bearable anyways!
Apr 9, 2019 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
YIKES.

And wtf is that OP? It literally spoils everything.

Jan 2009
first episode usually have great animation when it comes to TV series

but this first episode seems average at best, they focus on character drawings more than animation

lots of 3D parts too like the mecha parts of Genos and the robots his fighting

Oct 2013
It wasn't bad at all, yeah the fighting scene look a bit cluncky but overall it wasn't a mess as how a lot of folks were predicting.

imo the series got better in this arc and it actually start to have a plot unlike in season 1, so season 2 doesn't need to rely on great animation alone this time. I think if the level of animation stays this way the casuals at least will be ok with this.

I like the op as well.
keragammingApr 9, 2019 10:15 AM
Apr 9, 2019 10:12 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Damn, a lot of people are acting like as if watching this will burn your eyes or something. Compared to an average production, this looks alright. The question is whether or not they can keep the quality for the episodes that truly matter, like episode 4 or episode 12 (assuming they keep the same pace as this episode, those episodes will have some of the more major fights).

During non-action scenes, the artwork is good, but the coloring and shading is bad. Limited animation, but it's not a deal-breaker. S1 even used a lot of panning for moments where characters simply talk. As for the action, the cuts vary from bad to decent. But the decent cuts were quite short in this episode.

In the end, this is miles better than whatever that nightmare of a PV showed us. People are now gonna overreact for the sake of overreacting. Sure, compared to S1, it's immensely disappointing. But stop acting like this is the worst treatment OPM could've ever gotten. I'm pretty sure any other studio other than Bones and maybe MAPPA would've given it similar production values anyways. S1 was too unreal of a production anyways, with so many freelancers and industry bests working on it. S2 was always bound to look limited in comparison.

In the end though, people are better off just reading the manga for a better experience.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 9, 2019 10:15 AM
Apr 9, 2019 10:13 AM

Dec 2017
Lightning_Laxus said:

just as many shows do the same thing, especially the battle shonen ones

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SpoilerOpening/AnimeAndManga
Apr 9, 2019 10:17 AM

Apr 2016
uninstallthegame said:
Lightning_Laxus said:

just as many shows do the same thing, especially the battle shonen ones

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SpoilerOpening/AnimeAndManga

Yes but this one is especially bad.
Apr 9, 2019 10:18 AM

Apr 2015
I'm ready for this show.

I'm also ready for the internet and its lovely hyperboles.
Apr 9, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2017
Aside from all the cuts, I think the episode was decent. Yeah, "decent". It's still enough to keep me hyped, I'm not that hard to please nor am I a critic, I am just happy season 2 is here.
Apr 9, 2019 10:19 AM

Jul 2014
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Damn, a lot of people are acting like as if watching this will burn your eyes or something. Compared to an average production, this looks alright. The question is whether or not they can keep the quality for the episodes that truly matter, like episode 4 or episode 12 (assuming they keep the same pace as this episode, those episodes will have some of the more major fights).

During non-action scenes, the artwork is good, but the coloring and shading is bad. Limited animation, but it's not a deal-breaker. S1 even used a lot of panning for moments where characters simply talk. As for the action, the cuts vary from bad to decent. But the decent cuts were quite short in this episode.

In the end, this is miles better than whatever that nightmare of a PV showed us. People are now gonna overreact for the sake of overreacting. Sure, compared to S1, it's immensely disappointing. But stop acting like this is the worst treatment OPM could've ever gotten. I'm pretty sure any other studio other than Bones and maybe MAPPA would've given it similar production values anyways. S1 was too unreal of a production anyways, with so many freelancers and industry bests working on it. S2 was always bound to look limited in comparison.

In the end though, people are better off just reading the manga for a better experience.

BTW, Golden is talking about Murata's ver of OPM manga. While I feel like my mention of Genos' CGI arms made my eyes bleed was a little too over the top but it really did made my eyes sting.
Apr 9, 2019 10:20 AM

May 2017
Also I am happy with many stuff i saw, I AM HYPE STILL THO
Apr 9, 2019 10:20 AM
Aug 2018
I'm ready to spend more time looking at the salty people in each thread than watching the show itself.
Apr 9, 2019 10:21 AM

Jul 2014
Saitama said:
Also I am happy with many stuff i saw, I AM HYPE STILL THO

I'm just happy I saw Fubuki ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 9, 2019 10:24 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
-Stray said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

BTW, Golden is talking about Murata's ver of OPM manga. While I feel like my mention of Genos' CGI arms made my eyes bleed was a little too over the top but it really did made my eyes sting.
Yeah ngl, there's definitely some bad moments. I hate the weird color palette for Saitama and King and that'll get hard to used too. And Genos' CG rendered body is definitely nightmare material. But for me at least, there were more shots and cuts in this episode that I was okay with, than shots and cuts I was not okay with.
Apr 9, 2019 10:27 AM

Apr 2014
Feels like most of the praise in this thread is just because it actually isn't a complete god-awful dumpster fire rather than it actually being good, lol. I don't blame you guys though, my expectations were low too.
I'm not feeling this. Feels like it barely moved at all, and for half of the episode it was just panning shots of still frames with voices and music. The overall direction was just boring. Even when there was action, it was just 'okay'. Serviceable. Going back to season 1 episode 1, the difference is night and day.
It wasn't totally awful, some of the actual drawings of the characters were good and detailed. And even when they were drawn well, something about the aesthetic just looks really off to me. Saitama looks like he has a sunburn, and Genos' body look like it's half-CG or something. The composite/colors just look wrong to me.
I'm not gonna knock on JC Staff because clearly this output is not something they wanted, and they have a shit ton on their plate already, working on tons of different series. The anime industry is tough and time-consuming and animators have to work under really tight constricting schedules. But man, is it hard not to be disappointed. :(
HonguApr 9, 2019 12:08 PM
Apr 9, 2019 10:41 AM

Apr 2008
Yeah that was pretty meh. Episode one of the first season was awesome with amazing animation and it only got better from there. Based on the production schedule with this one it will be the opposite. Shame really. Still frames, CGI, blur lines up the ass. Ugh my eyes hurt.
Apr 9, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2017
The JAM Project song is so pog for this opening
One More Chance
Jun 2015
Who cares if the animation is good at best and not godly. Still gonna be better than 95% of the garbage that comes out this season. 😂😂😂

Apr 2016
yes I'm so happy the anime is back!!
so many cool things are going to happen this season, I love that they started out with King's story lol he's so great
there's definitely going to be a lot of hype to look forward to!!
Apr 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2016
I am more entertained by the fandom reaction than the actual episode.
I guess i'm sticking around to see how 'great' the story and action will be. This adaptation reminds me of Beelzebub, it's fight wasn't great but has comedy in it, so it was mediocre at best.
Apr 9, 2019 10:49 AM

Jan 2009
@GoldenDevilGamer

you got more anime watched than me so im sure you know that first few episodes of TV anime usually have great animation quality since they have more production time for those but when the later episodes comes up then production schedules will get tight resulting on lesser quality animation especially on the middle of the show

one show i remember having bad production schedule was Flip Flappers the first 4-6(?) episodes have movie like animation quality but the later episodes got lower quality and the final episode was disappointing in animation
Apr 9, 2019 10:50 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
uninstallthegame said:
well, it wasn't too bad up until the moment the action started lol. all the metalic parts have this weird cgi shine or gloss on them. the color palette has changed a lot, but at least the pace is ok. the whole episode were just 3 chapters revealing King's true nature

not remotely as good as the original, but bearable, at least for now. the only two things that are fucking killing me is the blur, it looks like shit

and Genos. just... fuck man, what have they done to you
This sums up how I feel about things
Apr 9, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2012
Welp, I expected to look a lot cheaper than season 1, and I'm more concerned about later episodes if the announced queue is to be believed (the one in which they only had a couple of episodes finished last month).

Luckily, this is the part of One Punch where it truly shines the most in terms of writing and overall quality. As long as they don't mess the story and characters, I'll be more than satisfied with this already. Animation is the least of my worries and can be improved later on BDs.
Apr 9, 2019 10:55 AM

Jan 2009
Danpmss said:
Animation is the least of my worries and can be improved later on BDs.

BDs only correct drawings and background art (aka art style - a term made by fans)

i never heard or seen a BD that improves the animation too
Apr 9, 2019 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
Feels like season 1 despite the change of studio. Great. And the humour with King and Saitama. Hilarious. One Punch Man is back!
Apr 9, 2019 10:58 AM
Feb 2018
To be honest, the animation wasn't bad. The only thing that bothered me was some on the shading and weird faces on some characters like the doctor.
Apr 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2017
Oh the hype. I love it. Completely forgot this was airing until I got the notification for it.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Apr 9, 2019 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
The fights looked like shit, but the rest was good. I just wonder why they didnt animate genos cyborg teeth at the end when they were talking, only his mouth moved. Weird.
Apr 9, 2019 11:04 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
deg said:
@GoldenDevilGamer

you got more anime watched than me so im sure you know that first few episodes of TV anime usually have great animation quality since they have more production time for those but when the later episodes comes up then production schedules will get tight resulting on lesser quality animation especially on the middle of the show

one show i remember having bad production schedule was Flip Flappers the first 4-6(?) episodes have movie like animation quality but the later episodes got lower quality and the final episode was disappointing in animation
Yeah, I'm aware that the best is shown early because of schedule reasons. But there's always projects that got progressively better in production as it went on, like Mob II from last season. I'm simply hoping for the best, and not expecting the best. Genos vs. G4 is such a fodder fight in comparison to the fights later on. For the major fights, I don't expect something better than this episode. But I'm hoping that they're not worse than this either. Of course, J.C. might make the major ones look worse and episode 1 is truly their best. But hopefully that isn't the case. Even in S1's case, Episode 5, 9 and 12 had more impressive sakuga cuts than episode 1
Apr 9, 2019 11:05 AM

Sep 2014
Someone needs to One Punch the Studio, especially the Staff people.

King was expected but even Genos now....

Apr 9, 2019 11:07 AM

Dec 2014
Wow, this is boring. There's no style to it at all

Jan 2009
GoldenDevilGamer said:
deg said:
@GoldenDevilGamer

Yeah, I'm aware that the best is shown early because of schedule reasons. But there's always projects that got progressively better in production as it went on, like Mob II from last season. I'm simply hoping for the best, and not expecting the best. Genos vs. G4 is such a fodder fight in comparison to the fights later on. For the major fights, I don't expect something better than this episode. But I'm hoping that they're not worse than this either. Of course, J.C. might make the major ones look worse and episode 1 is truly their best. But hopefully that isn't the case. Even in S1's case, Episode 5, 9 and 12 had more impressive sakuga cuts than episode 1

about Mob Psycho

Fun fact /totally not at all/ related to OPM S2 having only two episodes finished this soon before it starts: Mob Psycho had 12 episodes finished when it started airing.

Progress towards OPM S2's production explosion: ???%
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1099005336000835584

that twitter user is part of the sakuga community and their group gets insider information too
Jan 2016
It ain't garbage but there is no point to watching the anime when the manga exist.
Apr 9, 2019 11:08 AM

Mar 2016
I kept my expectations low, but I still got disappointed by the animation in the fight scenes. I still wished they waited at least another year to refine everything, instead of pushing it out as quickly as they could...

I can only hope they make up for it in the next episode and beyond.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Apr 9, 2019 11:11 AM
Oct 2014
Dunno why they even got the job, jc staff clearly isn't good enough for an action anime like OPM
Apr 9, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2015
Exactly what I expected pretty much. The animation is pretty mediocre and some portions have pretty awkward frames. Not good at all.
Jan 2016
AnimeTard said:
Dunno why they even got the job, jc staff clearly isn't good enough for an action anime like OPM

It's not the fact they aren't good enough but the scheduling is crap
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
deg said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

about Mob Psycho

Fun fact /totally not at all/ related to OPM S2 having only two episodes finished this soon before it starts: Mob Psycho had 12 episodes finished when it started airing.

Progress towards OPM S2's production explosion: ???%
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1099005336000835584

that twitter user is part of the sakuga community and their group gets insider information too
Yeah, aware of that too. Don't hold too much belief on the OPM two episodes thing, because Yonkou's never a reliable source of info. The man got every prediction of OPM wrong, from airing date to the lies about the first episode being early previewed
Apr 2016
shane_nichols said:
Who cares if the animation is good at best and not godly. Still gonna be better than 95% of the garbage that comes out this season. 😂😂😂
true that, I cant find 5 decent anime to watch this season, not including OPM
Apr 9, 2019 11:15 AM
Feb 2018
would you look at that another anime ruined cause they changed the editing style
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2019

389 by THEBIGNOODLER »»
Apr 10, 2:30 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - Jun 25, 2019

200 by Craneface »»
Mar 28, 2:52 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - May 7, 2019

244 by scorpioniclibra »»
Mar 14, 3:26 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xShinigami3125 - Apr 23, 2019

367 by Dr_tardo »»
Feb 21, 6:24 PM

» Bro deadass nearly died

Mei-o_Scarlett - Jan 17

3 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
Jan 17, 3:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.