Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2019 12:07 PM

Dec 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:

uninstallthegame said:
MAPPA back at it again with the quality
It's Cloverworks that's doing the anime. MAPPA's doing Dororo this season.

oh shit, don't know how i fucked that up. surprisingly good for CloverWorks, bunny girl didn't have this level of quality. it just felt like MAPPA level of animation to me for some reason x)
uninstallthegameJan 9, 2019 12:10 PM
Jan 9, 2019 12:09 PM
Nov 2015
As a manga fan, seeing some people say there were scenes missing and how it was an alright adaptation when we live in a world with the tokyo ghoul anime adaptation just... The adaptation was perfect, and showed all the scenes we needed to see, with a few extra lines here and there. I loved the OP myself, didn't really take much note of the OST other than Mama's song. I figured some people would complain about the art but like: Thats the art in the manga. Like, pretty much picture perfect. Excited to see anime onlies reactions though, cause the series only goes up from here!!

Edit: OK tho the cgi with the corridor past the gate was very choppy, but that's all I really picked up on in terms of animation mistakes. The chase scene was great and the demons plus the horrible sounds their nails make were perfect, bleh

(And obviously a twist was coming but I call bullshit on anyone able to predict that the kids in an orphanage were being fed to a demon race. Like, I had the prediction of government program with all the tests and stuff, and a few others had organ harvesting in mind... IDK how you could possibly predict Demon eating kids? W/o reading the synopsis ofc)
The_Cube5671Jan 9, 2019 12:43 PM
Jan 9, 2019 12:10 PM
Nov 2018
This was a great episode, really good first episode for this series. Connie was so sweet, so sad that she didn't lasted more on-screen. Emma is such a good character, the same for Norman and Ray, those dudes are studs. I'm really invested in Emma because if Emma cries i crie and if Emma smiles i smile.
Jan 9, 2019 12:13 PM
Aug 2011
There was some interesting shots in this episode and it seems like they're using sound to their advantage... hope they don't go overboard but I liked the ost.

I'm seeing a lot of Emma hate as well feelsbad because while she is quite positive she also has her moments.

They all kind of start off a bit too positive and in Ray's case a bit edgy.
N o r m a n y'all feel me. His first key visual for this series made him look permanently angry.
Phil :3

Overall okay not going to sit here and pretend the manga is all that better because I have my gripes with that one but I digress.
Jan 9, 2019 12:20 PM

Jan 2015
WTF WAS THAT?????
Jan 9, 2019 12:21 PM

Dec 2014
Well that turn into something horrifying real fast.....
Jan 9, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2016
damn, the art and animation look nice. When they were walking to the gate I was literally getting goosebumps, and when they saw those monsters their faces were so amazingly animated.
Jan 9, 2019 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
Oh I wasn't expecting an early release.

I've read the first few chapters of the manga so I knew what to expect from this episode, and I like the adaptation so far. I think the show captured the feeling of dread pretty well, so I hope the rest of the show continues like this.

I need to get back into the manga now.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 9, 2019 12:28 PM

Feb 2017
Judging by majority reaction they've done good job with this episode. I think so too.

I really liked the soundtrack and facial expressions. I didn't have high expectations for visual quality, but it turned out rather good. Hopefully it doesn't drop much as it progesses.
Jan 9, 2019 12:29 PM

Nov 2017
That was absolutely phenomenal. I am not a manga reader, so everything is new to me. It's giving me heavy Made In Abyss vibes, which I love. I can't wait for more next week!
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Jan 9, 2019 12:34 PM

Oct 2015
I thought mob gave me the best eposode in thia years but damn this is totally betyer ! Great ost, perfect direction, also like the V.A works. Well done Cloverworks
Jan 9, 2019 12:36 PM

Oct 2015
ruru-- said:
Man what a ride. So far this is already one of my favorite anime of the season. Poor Conny ): the last scene with the mom looking at Conny's rabbit doll made me jump lol.

I know this scene since I read the manga but damn I actually still have the same reaction like you. Perfect direction .
Jan 9, 2019 12:38 PM

Dec 2016
Solid 5/5 episode. I did notice some minor animation mistakes though, like choppy framerate and at the start of the episode Ray was on the wrong side of the gate. Confused me a little until I figured he was just on the wrong layer (I think).
Other than that, enjoyed it a lot despite being spoiled beforehand.
Jan 9, 2019 12:39 PM
Oct 2016
I went to see this first episode with a lot of Hype because I saw people comparing it with Death Note.

I really liked the first episode I liked the animation is not anything from the first world It was OK.

I really liked the atmosphere of the anime is an anime that has a lot of potential I hope this is it all,

because for his manga to be so praised some very good quality he has "😮😕
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2019 12:44 PM

Oct 2010
The moment I saw Conny I thought "Oh, she's gonna die," but I did not expect it to be in the first episode. :D

Having read the previous MAL synopsis, I was expecting to see a slaughterhouse with a butchery assembly line, like this scene from Cloud Atlas (Cloud Atlas spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1bdmaAwj3c
Jan 9, 2019 12:44 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, that was a pretty good episode. I came into this blind and although I suspected what was happening, the way it was presented was pretty surprising. That ending with the Mama and the plushie was brutal.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
I don't like the (human) character design, it looks ugly and just not right. Other than this, it looks pretty interesting and definitely worth my time.
rsc-plJan 9, 2019 1:15 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 9, 2019 12:58 PM

Oct 2010
Too many flags lol. It was fun but the way they showed how happy everyone was and now much they loved each other made it way too obvious something very bad was gonna happen. Focus on the Gate and "you really love momma" made it obvious she was involved and they'd need to leave. Conny's smile made it too obvious she was gonna die.

I hope future episodes have less "flags" like this. Was enjoyable still and it's interesting but spelling things out so obviously will get dull quick.

Other than that, the execution was solid. The OST is great. The OP by Uverworld is fantastic. The ending by Cö shu Nie was awesome. Animation is top notch. Compression is still far worse than it should be but that's just the state of streaming right now, sadly. Dark scenes really suffer but it wasn't as bad as other shows like Boogiepop.
Jan 9, 2019 1:01 PM

Feb 2010
rsc-pl said:
I don't like the (human) character desing. It looks completely unappealing.
they are KIDS you sicko

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 9, 2019 1:03 PM

Apr 2013
It's like an horror mahou shoujo.

Mostly boring, but the bizarre plot is funny.

Jan 9, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
hazarddex said:
rsc-pl said:
I don't like the (human) character desing. It looks completely unappealing.
they are KIDS you sicko

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unappealing
[...]ugly gross lame bad boring hideous. These are all the words most commonly associated with an unappealing person

Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 9, 2019 1:08 PM

May 2016
The build up was done pretty well, the music started getting darker and darker and feel and bad aura building up and damn those creatures were ugly reminded of the one eyed owl from TG.

R.I.P Conny I feel so bad for you girl.
Jan 9, 2019 1:10 PM

Feb 2010
rsc-pl said:
hazarddex said:
they are KIDS you sicko

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unappealing
[...]ugly gross lame bad boring hideous. These are all the words most commonly associated with an unappealing person

Sorry I use a thing called the actual dictionary.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 9, 2019 1:15 PM
Nov 2015
Yay! Can't wait to see A1 Pi... I mean Cloverworks... Ruining another promising show.

First episode was bad, but the story clearly has potential and looks interesting. It was just A1nized. I'm dropping this shit and going to read the manga.
Jan 9, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2016
Sephyros said:
Voice acting is terrible, the annoying voice fits emma but ray one is disgusting that's terrible

I would like to think that you are saying that the voice doesn't match the character, and not that Miss Mariya Ise's voice is "disgusting"
Jan 9, 2019 1:28 PM

Oct 2016
Kelgair said:
Aww, so cute! Hah, this isn't gonna end well is it?

When I saw her smile in that scene I was sure that it was a clear deathflag, and everyone and their moms knew it XD
Jan 9, 2019 1:29 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode, they adapt it faithfully. And that thing is not CG. Creepy OST and nice animation. Looking forward next. Nice OP and ED.

Mar 2014
Very happy with the first episode

Apr 2016
OH MY F**KING GOD!!! This is so great.. I usually don't go with all the hype train but this is so good. After Dororo we have now this.. 2 great creepy, dark anime..
This winter season will be so great.. SAO will also go in the dark side soon so this season will be better and better

Jan 9, 2019 1:31 PM

Apr 2018
Waiting for the "omg what with the high score" thread
Jan 9, 2019 1:38 PM

Mar 2014
felipeliborio said:
Yay! Can't wait to see A1 Pi... I mean Cloverworks... Ruining another promising show.

First episode was bad, but the story clearly has potential and looks interesting. It was just A1nized. I'm dropping this shit and going to read the manga.

What does "A1nized" even mean?

Akerakai said:
Waiting for the "omg what with the high score" thread

Same.
Jan 9, 2019 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
I knew Conny wasn't going to make it, but, holy shit, that was horrifying. The ending when the music cuts to suddenly show Mama with the plushie and that psycho face was scary as heck.
Wonder how they are all going to escape from the farm, considering all the little kids they have to carry. I'm very interested to see how this is going to go. So far, hooked with this.

OP and ED were pretty good. So far the ones I'm liking the most this Winter.
Jan 9, 2019 1:45 PM

Apr 2015
Going in blind, but this was a pretty great start. Didn't really know what to expect, besides dark stuff was going to happen. Yet I had no idea it was gonna be this soon. Rip Conny :( That looked pretty horrific. I have many questions but I like being left in the dark for a while.. I am looking forward to it when things eventually get explained.
Jan 9, 2019 1:55 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Well, that was shocking to say the least. Anime only but holy shit, that's what people were hyping up. The animation and art skyrocketed, music was on point, the reactions to seeing the disaster unfold, pure nightmare fuel.

Whew, that was fantastic.
Jan 9, 2019 1:59 PM

Aug 2018
So, this have a high score because of the ending and most people forgot about the 15 minutes of kids playing... smh. It wasn't bad bot it was boring most of the time, at least this episode.
Jan 9, 2019 2:02 PM

Feb 2018
The dialogue was pretty expositiony, but it looks pretty good so far, also I had totally forgotten how scary mom can be.
But they make it way to obvious what's up from the get go.
Jan 9, 2019 2:06 PM
Mar 2018
I am actually quite disappointed in this first episode.

As someone who started the manga just recently, the first chapters are still fresh in my mind.

[Spoiler]

The first thing that bugged me were the changes in dialogue and conduct regarding Ray. The foreshadowing to his later role in the story was to strong and lagged subtlety. ( especially that whole "survival in the outside"-comment ). The added scenes (eg. the way Norman catches Emma in their game of tag or the meeting between the 3 main chars at the small fence ( what the heck was Ray doing there all of a sudden???) ) really felt strange and unnatural to me. Why would Emma not just camp at that cliff if Norman was unable to jump over it? Basically all the changes to the manga seemed to tarnish the flow of the story rather than adding anything to it. )

[Spoiler End]

On the bright side: I really liked the way the monsters were animated. Those eye movements were chilling. Also the Intro and OST used in this were awesome.

Looking forward to the next episodes
Jan 9, 2019 2:06 PM

Jul 2015
Holy shit, I couldn't have asked for a better execution of the start of the story, the animation, style, directing, the faces of Emma and Norman in terror after discovering the truth of what is their life for, everything was outstanding, really well done. I was shivering so hard after the reveal of their situation and I didn't stop until the end of the episode.
Jan 9, 2019 2:09 PM
Aug 2018
JudoJD said:
Pretty disappointing tbh
All that hype yet you can tell what's going to happen from a mile away

For the people who've read The promised neverland....do the plot twists get any better onwards
I didn't not read the manga for one of the most predictable first episode turn of events I've seen in a while..."don't even read the synopsis. IT WILL SHOCK YOU REEE" sigh 😅

The plot twist will get way better, just wait. You will be very satified.
Jan 9, 2019 2:12 PM

Oct 2017
Excellent adaptation! I also love the OP and ED.

They keep up this quality and this will be my favorite anime of the season.
Jan 9, 2019 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
Some of the expository dialogue was awkward, with the kids talking seriously to each other about their skills and strategies. It felt too, I don't know, mechanical; but it was a solid start!

It was also weird to see that bunny in the dining hall when the girl had it with her when she said goodbye, but I guess it was their "mom" who put it there, and it will be the reason why she will realize that at least one of the kids found out the truth about that place. There is no way they are all going to believe and/or survive, but I have many questions, and I'm interested!
Jan 9, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2014
The PV's and CM's that I saw of this show gave me a vibe that something dark was lurking beyond the boundary of the orphanage.

Despite that in mind, The Promised Neverland easily succeeded in giving me a jumpscare not once, but twice in the same episode. Hoooooooly shit! X_X

The art style is certainly unique and the animation was very well done from CloverWorks, mostly down to capturing the heavy expressions coming from Emma and Norman after discovering what truly happened to poor Conny after she left the orphanage, Poor girl. T_T

I'm not going to have a good sleep tonight now thanks to this impressive first episode. This is certainly a show that'll have my upmost attention throughout its airing run. =)
Jan 9, 2019 2:25 PM

Aug 2018
I'm actually very excited for this anime, but I got a little divided this episode. I don't know why, but for me, it was pretty obvious that all the "going to get adopted" was more like "going to get killed", because of where they are (stuck in a house, where they practice their intelligence, waiting to be "adopted"), and also because of all the hints they gave earlier in the episodes (such as the "adopted" kids not writting for the kids still in the "House"), maybe hearing that they would discover something that would make them want to leave (as said in the synopsis) spoiled for me a little the suprise (I also watched a movie with a similar concept, that maybe helped to), however, I do think the anime made it very predictable. The scene were they showed Connie dead was way too obvious, so it didn't affected me as much (I prepared myself since they said that she was going to be adopted, so), but that scene did make me feel really thrilled, and the "Monsters Scene" was just the cherry on the top.
On the other hand, I was not expecting that they would be killed to be eaten by some monsters, and that they were in some kind of "human farm". I was very suprised for that (the last shot of Mama also scared me xD).
Nonetheless, the anime did a very good work with the suspanse, the terror elements, and the character development. The animation and the soundtrack were gorgeous, the ED was really on point for the anime, but I don't think that the OP is very well suited for this kind of anime (it looked like some action/adventure anime), but we'll see.
It's a 5/5 for me, since I'm really interested in the plot.
Btw, the anime made me think that Ray might have suspected that the "House" wasn't a place where everyone could be happy, as Emma stated, but instead a really tragic place. Excited for the next episodes!
Jan 9, 2019 2:29 PM
Nov 2015
LauraBirdie said:

It means that A1 spiked it's dirty, stinky and greedy claws on it and made it a generic, "please them all", unappealing and boring piece of crap. With the only objective of having a popular show and assuring some easy money.
Jan 9, 2019 2:31 PM
Mar 2014
I liked this episode. I hope this anime gets a 2nd season. IIRC they cut out a part from the manga in this episode. I'm looking forward to watching next weeks episode
Jan 9, 2019 2:31 PM

Apr 2018
felipeliborio said:
LauraBirdie said:

It means that A1 spiked it's dirty, stinky and greedy claws on it and made it a generic, "please them all", unappealing and boring piece of crap. With the only objective of having a popular show and assuring some easy money.
it didn't do that and you just wanna hate on A1 but you don't know how
Jan 9, 2019 2:40 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was unexpectedly intense, I signed up for a wholesome orphanage centered Anime, and it turned out darker than most shows I've seen, I love it. I feel that the production value and the direction of the first episode are just top notches, I might just be watching the show of the year. I like how well this episode was directed, speaking of the camera cinematography with all the angels being on a low level, imitating a the perspective of a kid, it makes the world surrounding them much bigger and intimidating.
This game of tag they are starting might just get very twisted, they did mention how their “mama” has always beaten them in chess and not once have they come close to beating her, that might just make this game a lot challenging to them, I'd like to see who it turns out.
The characters seem to have a lot of flesh (backstory) on them, I'm interested in their original, and what exactly puts the main trio above everybody else.
Jan 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Oct 2018
I did not expect that. Tense episode at the end
Jan 9, 2019 2:46 PM

Jun 2017
I was scared that it wouldn't live up to the manga but I am pleasantly surprised! This episode was great! They adapted the manga perfectly and even added a few extra scenes which were great! That mom jumpscare really got me.

Best anime dance ever fight me
Jan 9, 2019 2:53 PM

Nov 2016
Aaaaaahhh that was so good and so horrible and afklahgieq. Depending to where this goes it'd just might become one of my favorite animes ever. This first episode had the best direction I remember from any show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.