Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2018 12:22 PM
Jul 2018

I find it overall more pleasing to the eye. I dislike how nowadays it is all digital or nothing.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 8, 2018 12:25 PM

Jan 2009
nope cel animation is only good looking when they are remastered versions and remastering usually involves digital touch ups (digitally mastered)

plus as computer technology evolves more it can copy the look and feel of those cel animation anyway, Megalo Box is close to achieving that as a recent example

Nov 8, 2018 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?
Nov 8, 2018 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Huntik said:

Hand-drawn in the 80's/90's style, etc.
Nov 8, 2018 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
nah i like the current animation way more
Nov 8, 2018 12:35 PM

Aug 2017
yeah I love all those small little imperfections you would get because of how it was made by hand that you cant get with all those computers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2018 12:37 PM

Jul 2017
RetroBite said:
Huntik said:

not only though but overall ye there aren't a lot nowadays, I mean we rarely ever see them nowadays
Nov 8, 2018 12:37 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Not really lol, I like how it is nowadays.
Nov 8, 2018 12:38 PM

Dec 2015
Huntik said:

Animation painted onto an acetate cel. You know, how cartoons have been made for the past 100 years...like this

How can someone who likes anime not know what cel animation is?
Nov 8, 2018 12:38 PM

Feb 2018
* cough ** cough * kiminonawa * cough * cough *, the digital is pretty good the truth.
Nov 8, 2018 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Also' isn't she from Yu Yu hakusho? Damn i really need to finish that anime...
Nov 8, 2018 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters
And what does age have to do with appreciating cel animation huh?

OT: I personally like it way better than the current digital animation we got now, but that's just me
Nov 8, 2018 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
RetroBite said:
Huntik said:

Oh, Now i understand. Thanks for the feedback
Nov 8, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
Huntik said:

Animation painted onto an acetate cel. You know, how cartoons have been made for the past 100 years...like this

How can someone who likes anime not know what cel animation is?

Oh, Now i understand. Thanks for the feedback. Hard to know. Maybe because i didn't watched to many old anime and searched about how they are make....
Nov 8, 2018 12:48 PM

Dec 2015
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters

That's a weird stance to take. I can enjoy The Wizard of OZ and that was made in 1939 so...
Nov 8, 2018 12:51 PM

Dec 2017
I miss it immensely, just felt like it had more personality and gave animations an overall aesthetic/vibe that will never be seen again. This isn't to say that digital animation can't look beautiful, and in some cases it is better suited for the style of certain series. But at the end of the day my heart lies with cel animation.
Nov 8, 2018 12:58 PM

Jul 2014
I totally prefer it to digital. It's ofttimes a great deal more expressive.

That's not to say digital can't look great though.
Take care of yourself

Nov 8, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2016
High budget show with cel animation are just too good.

Look at those sceneries in Omoide Poroporo, you could use every frame as a painting.
Nov 8, 2018 1:03 PM

Oct 2017
The small imperfections in cel animation give it a more realistic feel than a lot of the clean digital animation, doesn't mean it's always better looking than the modern stuff ofc but it has a nice charm. I don't really care that it's not being used anymore though, there's plenty of old anime I can watch if I want to experience it.
Nov 8, 2018 1:08 PM
Apr 2018
Yeah, i liked the animation of yu yu hakusho very much.I guess Zatch bell was cel animated as well, because its animation was a little different from other anime or it seemed to me like that.
Nov 8, 2018 1:08 PM

Oct 2013
I missed it too. Since animation today are mostly done in digital. I must say--it has that unique beauty and experience to it that are hard to describe. That's why I watch classics once in a while.
Nov 8, 2018 1:09 PM

Feb 2018
It looks pretty great as a still image, but in motion it's often not all that appealing to the eye.
Nov 8, 2018 1:09 PM

Jun 2014
Definitely.

I highly prefer the appearance of cel animation, and older character designs, as it's what I grew up with.

Nov 8, 2018 1:10 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah I love cel animation, especially when it's remastered in HD. But idk about 'missing' it since I watch cel animated anime all the time. There's a lot of them out there. So watching cel animation is still a thing of the present for me, not the past.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 8, 2018 1:28 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
No, I like digital animation way more
Nov 8, 2018 1:29 PM

Sep 2017
OMG I MISS CELL ANIMATION SO MUCH HIM FIGHTING GOHAN WAS SO EPIC

Nov 8, 2018 1:35 PM

Dec 2016
Don't know really, I learned to move on and to get along with the new times, so I wouldn't say I really "miss" it.

But in terms of preferences, yeah, I definitely prefer the cel aesthetics. They print an exquisite charm that digital animation simple can't do and I feel they did a better job when it comes to make the characters look like actual human beings, digital makes them look somewhat "plastic"....
Nov 8, 2018 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
*Insert perfectly neutral opinion that is completely against the unwritten rules of making everything controversial and heavily opinionated on the Internet*
Nov 8, 2018 1:49 PM

Aug 2010
cel has its charms but digital is more reasonable for this day and age. and still looks good.
sadly, 3d is even more accessible for tight schedules, so we are currently getting swarmed with terrible CG as japan learns how to properly use the technology.

so yea, i wouldnt mind getting a couple more traditionaly drawn anime here and there, but who has the time?
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 8, 2018 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
Digital animation, I've come to realize, usually looks awful. It is far too 'clean' and by clean, I mean, inauthentic, bland, boring, inhuman.
Cel animation had so much more passion, so much more blood sweat and tears behind it. I love how it was all painted and how the colors are so vibrant. Cel animation was beautiful. I really do wish anime would go back to cel animation, but that'll never happen due to the ever-growing demand placed on anime studios to pump out anime after anime every season.

ComboSmooth said:
so yea, i wouldnt mind getting a couple more traditionaly drawn anime here and there, but who has the time?

Apparently, everyone had the time before the 21st century.

jal90 said:
*Insert perfectly neutral opinion that is completely against the unwritten rules of making everything controversial and heavily opinionated on the Internet*

Then why even bother posting?
Nov 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Aug 2018
It's different, good cell animation is great but really hard to pull off, that's why we have so many shitty animated old shows. I prefer a lot of digital and fluid animation than a couple of cell animated great shows and tons of shitty ones. I'm not even bothered by CGI if it's well done.

I'd like to add that shows like Gosick and Made in abyss can look amazing too, especially the backgrounds. Just naming a few.
Nov 8, 2018 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
DaCraziGuy said:
It's different, good cell animation is great but really hard to pull off, that's why we have so many shitty animated old shows. I prefer a lot of digital and fluid animation than a couple of cell animated great shows and tons of shitty ones. I'm not even bothered by CGI if it's well done.

No more shitty animated shows back in the day than there are now tbh. Even the ones limited in animation, like Berserk or Evangelion, I would much prefer over, say, Goblin Slayer.

There are some beautiful digital shows (KyoAni knows what they're doing) but most are so bland. Cel animation always had extreme hard work put into it, and it always showed.
Nov 8, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2010
HeroicIdealism said:
jal90 said:

Because the thread is open and my keyboard works.

And because meme aside having a "no preference" option is perfectly valid in this discussion, since they are different aesthetics and processes.

But if you want a more elaborate and confrontative opinion, then so be it: I absolutely disagree with your romanticization of effort and hard work, specially when the animators were doing it because they didn't have better options. One thing is the appreciation of an overall aesthetic which cel animation often conveys, another is the apparent lack of realization that doing it this way wasn't a choice and it was a chore for the animators, and digital tools helped them through improving their efficiency and releasing from workload. Rather than going back to cel animation, perhaps imitating the texture of cel animation with these new tools is a better choice, leaving you with the aesthetics without turning the industry backwards to a more precarious state.
Nov 8, 2018 2:06 PM

Aug 2010
HeroicIdealism said:
Digital animation, I've come to realize, usually looks awful. It is far too 'clean' and by clean, I mean, inauthentic, bland, boring, inhuman.
Cel animation had so much more passion, so much more blood sweat and tears behind it. I love how it was all painted and how the colors are so vibrant. Cel animation was beautiful. I really do wish anime would go back to cel animation, but that'll never happen due to the ever-growing demand placed on anime studios to pump out anime after anime every season.

ComboSmooth said:

Apparently, everyone had the time before the 21st century.

anime wasnt nearly as competitive then. There werent 200 anime per year coming out.

I also think preferring cel to digital comes down to taste. There is still a lot of artistry that comes with good digital shading. Sadly not all studios aim for good or have the time to.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 8, 2018 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
there's always 80s-90s OVAs to watch, they have their own charm.
Nov 8, 2018 2:12 PM
Jun 2015
No because its more expensive and not worth the cost over computer cell shading.
Nov 8, 2018 2:15 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah, I like it a bit more. Digital animation is still good, but i like the look of actual paint. It would be cool to see people using it still.
Nov 8, 2018 2:29 PM
Aug 2016
It does have it a certain charm, but I wouldn't really say that I "miss" it.
Nov 8, 2018 3:12 PM

Apr 2015
I'd be glad if they stopped doing same animation and art style for every seasonal tbh.
Nov 8, 2018 3:37 PM
Aug 2018
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to. Digital done nicely is just like cel done nicely, it's nice.

What I will say irks me is stuff like bad CGI. It was jarring to see CGI in Space Symphony Maetel with the three nine being all janky cgi during the show theme.
Nov 8, 2018 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
HeroicIdealism said:

And because meme aside having a "no preference" option is perfectly valid in this discussion, since they are different aesthetics and processes.

But if you want a more elaborate and confrontative opinion, then so be it: I absolutely disagree with your romanticization of effort and hard work, specially when the animators were doing it because they didn't have better options. One thing is the appreciation of an overall aesthetic which cel animation often conveys, another is the apparent lack of realization that doing it this way wasn't a choice and it was a chore for the animators, and digital tools helped them through improving their efficiency and releasing from workload. Rather than going back to cel animation, perhaps imitating the texture of cel animation with these new tools is a better choice, leaving you with the aesthetics without turning the industry backwards to a more precarious state.

No shit it wasn't a choice. When you do have a choice, you tend to choose the easy way out, like they're doing now. And it tends to not look as good (but that's just, like, my opinion, man).

CassieXKR said:
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to.

Why do you prefer cel animation? Because of how it looks? And it looks that way because of its method of production. I'm not saying to not watch digital animation; that'd be absurd, as some of my favorite (most of my favorite?) anime are digital. But it is because of the method of production that I like cel animation more: it gives it a nicer look.

Also, I'm watching Kimagure Orange Road from the 80's which is a 48 episode TV anime and the animation is just as smooth as any modern digital production, I'd say.
removed-userNov 8, 2018 5:36 PM
Nov 8, 2018 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
Remastered cel > digital, in my opinion. I'd like to see more remasters of older anime, they look great.
Nov 8, 2018 5:36 PM

Jan 2018
yeah, i like the older style better too. the saturated colors make a big difference as well, it stands out compared to nowaday's mostly bland and grayish tint.
Nov 8, 2018 5:48 PM
Aug 2018
HeroicIdealism said:

CassieXKR said:
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to.

Why do you prefer cel animation? Because of how it looks? And it looks that way because of its method of production. I'm not saying to not watch digital animation; that'd be absurd, as some of my favorite (most of my favorite?) anime are digital. But it is because of the method of production that I like cel animation more: it gives it a nicer look.

Also, I'm watching Kimagure Orange Road from the 80's which is a 48 episode TV anime and the animation is just as smooth as any modern digital production, I'd say.

A well executed cel animated anime can be just beautifully fluid. The thing I mean is generally a digital anime is more fluid since it is easier/cheaper to achieve than with cel. Even your average mediocre digital anime is pretty smooth; it's just is more accessible with less money than with cel. I am talking averages, not cherry picking Akira, LOTGH, etc against a mediocre seasonal light novel adaptation from a C level company.

I like the look, yes. The colour palette, the imperfections, yes, I like it.
Nov 8, 2018 5:56 PM

Dec 2012
I might have agreed in the late 90s/early 00s from around 1999 to 2003 when computer animation in anime was experimental in anime and often looked hideous.

Not now however, I definitely prefer digital animation, with it's increased color palate and better looking light and shadow effects. Modern animation looks better than cell animation in my opinion.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 8, 2018 5:56 PM

Oct 2010
HeroicIdealism said:
jal90 said:

No shit it wasn't a choice. When you do have a choice, you tend to choose the easy way out, like they're doing now. And it tends to not look as good (but that's just, like, my opinion, man).

I understand that opinion and preference, of course. But perhaps it's not the process what should be imitated, but the result. I don't know how much of a good imitation of cel animation can be made through digital tools, but if there is the chance they could certainly make use of them. Your alternative of the studios adopting the old method doesn't sit well with me. It seems like going backwards for the sake of going backwards, and bringing back the negatives that this technique had when there is no need to do that to capture a similar aesthetic.
Nov 8, 2018 6:09 PM

May 2018
everyday!! love the way it looks way better and the feel it has. I love looking at the backgrounds people painted and drew for them as well, like in the akira documentary, that shit is crazy

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Nov 8, 2018 6:40 PM

Jan 2013
Most definitely, mostly because of the backgrounds but specially because of the special effects.
The equipment and techniques they had to use to achieve them.
Like using a lightbox underneath the animation stand to give it that real glow/light effect, now it's done by using programs on the computer.

What really sucks is that none of it has been written down.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Nov 8, 2018 7:08 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm. This thread makes me think I need to get a list of sakuga-dense cel-animated shows. Heavy sakuga doesn’t seem to have been as common before in TV anime, but even if it’s OVAs...

As if I didn’t have enough stuff to check out already.
Nov 8, 2018 7:21 PM

Aug 2018
HeroicIdealism said:
DaCraziGuy said:

No more shitty animated shows back in the day than there are now tbh. Even the ones limited in animation, like Berserk or Evangelion, I would much prefer over, say, Goblin Slayer.

There are some beautiful digital shows (KyoAni knows what they're doing) but most are so bland. Cel animation always had extreme hard work put into it, and it always showed.

We have shitty animation nowadays, yes. I love old shows, and I like the old shool art. But man, I see some scenes that suck so much.

I agree that GS animation is meh, I like the show anyway.

And most people talk about old shows and saying how great they are, but they forget that they are counting 20 years of anime history as one thing.

Besides that the most impresive animations are used in movies or OVAs, the TV shows on the other hand aren't that impresive most of the times. Gundam and VOTOMS are one of my favorite shows, but I wish that they could be better animated, I stil have nightmares with Amuro in the cockpit.

Also we a lot of cell animated shows, so much that we could spend years watching only old shows.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

28 by AxiaG »»
38 seconds ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

14 by Zettaiken »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
6 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

228 by InsomniacBastard »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

28 by AxiaG »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.