Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Nov 8, 12:22 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 222


I find it overall more pleasing to the eye. I dislike how nowadays it is all digital or nothing.

 
#2
Nov 8, 12:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 39577
nope cel animation is only good looking when they are remastered versions and remastering usually involves digital touch ups (digitally mastered)

plus as computer technology evolves more it can copy the look and feel of those cel animation anyway, Megalo Box is close to achieving that as a recent example

 
#3
Nov 8, 12:27 PM
Loner

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?
 
#4
Nov 8, 12:32 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 222
Huntik said:
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?

Hand-drawn in the 80's/90's style, etc.
 
#5
Nov 8, 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 4317
nah i like the current animation way more

 
#6
Nov 8, 12:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1272
yeah I love all those small little imperfections you would get because of how it was made by hand that you cant get with all those computers


 
#7
Nov 8, 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 946
RetroBite said:
Huntik said:
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?

Hand-drawn in the 80's/90's style, etc.
not only though but overall ye there aren't a lot nowadays, I mean we rarely ever see them nowadays
 
#8
Nov 8, 12:37 PM
Die

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 566
Not really lol, I like how it is nowadays.
 
#9
Nov 8, 12:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5732
Huntik said:
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?

Animation painted onto an acetate cel. You know, how cartoons have been made for the past 100 years...like this



How can someone who likes anime not know what cel animation is?
 
Nov 8, 12:38 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
* cough ** cough * kiminonawa * cough * cough *, the digital is pretty good the truth.
 
Nov 8, 12:39 PM
Loner

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
Also' isn't she from Yu Yu hakusho? Damn i really need to finish that anime...
 
Nov 8, 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 317
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters
 
Nov 8, 12:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 12461
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters
And what does age have to do with appreciating cel animation huh?

OT: I personally like it way better than the current digital animation we got now, but that's just me

That is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard in my whole life

 
Nov 8, 12:44 PM
Loner

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
RetroBite said:
Huntik said:
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?

Hand-drawn in the 80's/90's style, etc.

Oh, Now i understand. Thanks for the feedback
 
Nov 8, 12:45 PM
Loner

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
Bobby2Hands said:
Huntik said:
What exactly Cel animation Stands for?

Animation painted onto an acetate cel. You know, how cartoons have been made for the past 100 years...like this



How can someone who likes anime not know what cel animation is?

Oh, Now i understand. Thanks for the feedback. Hard to know. Maybe because i didn't watched to many old anime and searched about how they are make....
 
Nov 8, 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5732
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters

That's a weird stance to take. I can enjoy The Wizard of OZ and that was made in 1939 so...
 
Nov 8, 12:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 317
Klad said:
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not 30+ years old... so no

I need to meet the 30 character limit so here are some extra characters
And what does age have to do with appreciating cel animation huh?

OT: I personally like it way better than the current digital animation we got now, but that's just me


It seems to me that most people who prefer Cel animation prefer it because they grew up watching it as kids. That's not to say that younger people can't appreciate it too, as it does have its own sort of charm. I personally tend to prefer newer animation styles, especially since I'm more accustomed to it than cel animation.
 
Nov 8, 12:51 PM
S'litist Patrish

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 283
I miss it immensely, just felt like it had more personality and gave animations an overall aesthetic/vibe that will never be seen again. This isn't to say that digital animation can't look beautiful, and in some cases it is better suited for the style of certain series. But at the end of the day my heart lies with cel animation.
 
Nov 8, 12:58 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 3011
I totally prefer it to digital. It's ofttimes a great deal more expressive.

That's not to say digital can't look great though.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do" - Angel
 
Nov 8, 1:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1875
High budget show with cel animation are just too good.

Look at those sceneries in Omoide Poroporo, you could use every frame as a painting.
 
Nov 8, 1:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 133
The small imperfections in cel animation give it a more realistic feel than a lot of the clean digital animation, doesn't mean it's always better looking than the modern stuff ofc but it has a nice charm. I don't really care that it's not being used anymore though, there's plenty of old anime I can watch if I want to experience it.
 
Nov 8, 1:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 24
Yeah, i liked the animation of yu yu hakusho very much.I guess Zatch bell was cel animated as well, because its animation was a little different from other anime or it seemed to me like that.
 
Nov 8, 1:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 389
I missed it too. Since animation today are mostly done in digital. I must say--it has that unique beauty and experience to it that are hard to describe. That's why I watch classics once in a while.
 
Nov 8, 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 3857
It looks pretty great as a still image, but in motion it's often not all that appealing to the eye.
 
Nov 8, 1:09 PM

Online
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 13192
Definitely.

I highly prefer the appearance of cel animation, and older character designs, as it's what I grew up with.
 
Nov 8, 1:10 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 29178
Yeah I love cel animation, especially when it's remastered in HD. But idk about 'missing' it since I watch cel animated anime all the time. There's a lot of them out there. So watching cel animation is still a thing of the present for me, not the past.


StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.


 
Nov 8, 1:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1606
No, I like digital animation way more
 
Nov 8, 1:29 PM

Online
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 492
OMG I MISS CELL ANIMATION SO MUCH HIM FIGHTING GOHAN WAS SO EPIC



 
Nov 8, 1:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1757
Don't know really, I learned to move on and to get along with the new times, so I wouldn't say I really "miss" it.

But in terms of preferences, yeah, I definitely prefer the cel aesthetics. They print an exquisite charm that digital animation simple can't do and I feel they did a better job when it comes to make the characters look like actual human beings, digital makes them look somewhat "plastic"....
 
Nov 8, 1:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 8707
*Insert perfectly neutral opinion that is completely against the unwritten rules of making everything controversial and heavily opinionated on the Internet*
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.
 
Nov 8, 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 890
cel has its charms but digital is more reasonable for this day and age. and still looks good.
sadly, 3d is even more accessible for tight schedules, so we are currently getting swarmed with terrible CG as japan learns how to properly use the technology.

so yea, i wouldnt mind getting a couple more traditionaly drawn anime here and there, but who has the time?
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=58155 = new club dedicated to great fight/action scenes.

https://clifftull.com/ - My 3D-Art portfolio
 
Nov 8, 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1573
Digital animation, I've come to realize, usually looks awful. It is far too 'clean' and by clean, I mean, inauthentic, bland, boring, inhuman.
Cel animation had so much more passion, so much more blood sweat and tears behind it. I love how it was all painted and how the colors are so vibrant. Cel animation was beautiful. I really do wish anime would go back to cel animation, but that'll never happen due to the ever-growing demand placed on anime studios to pump out anime after anime every season.

ComboSmooth said:
so yea, i wouldnt mind getting a couple more traditionaly drawn anime here and there, but who has the time?


Apparently, everyone had the time before the 21st century.

jal90 said:
*Insert perfectly neutral opinion that is completely against the unwritten rules of making everything controversial and heavily opinionated on the Internet*


Then why even bother posting?
 
Nov 8, 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 362
It's different, good cell animation is great but really hard to pull off, that's why we have so many shitty animated old shows. I prefer a lot of digital and fluid animation than a couple of cell animated great shows and tons of shitty ones. I'm not even bothered by CGI if it's well done.

I'd like to add that shows like Gosick and Made in abyss can look amazing too, especially the backgrounds. Just naming a few.
 
Nov 8, 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1573
DaCraziGuy said:
It's different, good cell animation is great but really hard to pull off, that's why we have so many shitty animated old shows. I prefer a lot of digital and fluid animation than a couple of cell animated great shows and tons of shitty ones. I'm not even bothered by CGI if it's well done.


No more shitty animated shows back in the day than there are now tbh. Even the ones limited in animation, like Berserk or Evangelion, I would much prefer over, say, Goblin Slayer.

There are some beautiful digital shows (KyoAni knows what they're doing) but most are so bland. Cel animation always had extreme hard work put into it, and it always showed.
 
Nov 8, 2:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 8707
HeroicIdealism said:
jal90 said:
*Insert perfectly neutral opinion that is completely against the unwritten rules of making everything controversial and heavily opinionated on the Internet*


Then why even bother posting?

Because the thread is open and my keyboard works.

And because meme aside having a "no preference" option is perfectly valid in this discussion, since they are different aesthetics and processes.

But if you want a more elaborate and confrontative opinion, then so be it: I absolutely disagree with your romanticization of effort and hard work, specially when the animators were doing it because they didn't have better options. One thing is the appreciation of an overall aesthetic which cel animation often conveys, another is the apparent lack of realization that doing it this way wasn't a choice and it was a chore for the animators, and digital tools helped them through improving their efficiency and releasing from workload. Rather than going back to cel animation, perhaps imitating the texture of cel animation with these new tools is a better choice, leaving you with the aesthetics without turning the industry backwards to a more precarious state.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.
 
Nov 8, 2:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 890
HeroicIdealism said:
Digital animation, I've come to realize, usually looks awful. It is far too 'clean' and by clean, I mean, inauthentic, bland, boring, inhuman.
Cel animation had so much more passion, so much more blood sweat and tears behind it. I love how it was all painted and how the colors are so vibrant. Cel animation was beautiful. I really do wish anime would go back to cel animation, but that'll never happen due to the ever-growing demand placed on anime studios to pump out anime after anime every season.

ComboSmooth said:
so yea, i wouldnt mind getting a couple more traditionaly drawn anime here and there, but who has the time?


Apparently, everyone had the time before the 21st century.



anime wasnt nearly as competitive then. There werent 200 anime per year coming out.

I also think preferring cel to digital comes down to taste. There is still a lot of artistry that comes with good digital shading. Sadly not all studios aim for good or have the time to.
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=58155 = new club dedicated to great fight/action scenes.

https://clifftull.com/ - My 3D-Art portfolio
 
Nov 8, 2:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 2353
there's always 80s-90s OVAs to watch, they have their own charm.
 
Nov 8, 2:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1933
No because its more expensive and not worth the cost over computer cell shading.
 
Nov 8, 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 63
Yeah, I like it a bit more. Digital animation is still good, but i like the look of actual paint. It would be cool to see people using it still.
 
Nov 8, 2:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 2798
It does have it a certain charm, but I wouldn't really say that I "miss" it.
 
Nov 8, 3:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 558
I'd be glad if they stopped doing same animation and art style for every seasonal tbh.
 
Nov 8, 3:37 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 50
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to. Digital done nicely is just like cel done nicely, it's nice.

What I will say irks me is stuff like bad CGI. It was jarring to see CGI in Space Symphony Maetel with the three nine being all janky cgi during the show theme.
 
Nov 8, 5:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1573
jal90 said:
HeroicIdealism said:


Then why even bother posting?

Because the thread is open and my keyboard works.

And because meme aside having a "no preference" option is perfectly valid in this discussion, since they are different aesthetics and processes.

But if you want a more elaborate and confrontative opinion, then so be it: I absolutely disagree with your romanticization of effort and hard work, specially when the animators were doing it because they didn't have better options. One thing is the appreciation of an overall aesthetic which cel animation often conveys, another is the apparent lack of realization that doing it this way wasn't a choice and it was a chore for the animators, and digital tools helped them through improving their efficiency and releasing from workload. Rather than going back to cel animation, perhaps imitating the texture of cel animation with these new tools is a better choice, leaving you with the aesthetics without turning the industry backwards to a more precarious state.


No shit it wasn't a choice. When you do have a choice, you tend to choose the easy way out, like they're doing now. And it tends to not look as good (but that's just, like, my opinion, man).

CassieXKR said:
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to.


Why do you prefer cel animation? Because of how it looks? And it looks that way because of its method of production. I'm not saying to not watch digital animation; that'd be absurd, as some of my favorite (most of my favorite?) anime are digital. But it is because of the method of production that I like cel animation more: it gives it a nicer look.

Also, I'm watching Kimagure Orange Road from the 80's which is a 48 episode TV anime and the animation is just as smooth as any modern digital production, I'd say.
Modified by HeroicIdealism, Nov 8, 5:36 PM
 
Nov 8, 5:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2457
Remastered cel > digital, in my opinion. I'd like to see more remasters of older anime, they look great.
 
Nov 8, 5:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
yeah, i like the older style better too. the saturated colors make a big difference as well, it stands out compared to nowaday's mostly bland and grayish tint.
 
Nov 8, 5:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 50
HeroicIdealism said:

CassieXKR said:
I prefer cel animation, but I'm not going to not watch a show that seems interesting because of production method. Overall we have more fluid animation with more detail now than we used to.


Why do you prefer cel animation? Because of how it looks? And it looks that way because of its method of production. I'm not saying to not watch digital animation; that'd be absurd, as some of my favorite (most of my favorite?) anime are digital. But it is because of the method of production that I like cel animation more: it gives it a nicer look.

Also, I'm watching Kimagure Orange Road from the 80's which is a 48 episode TV anime and the animation is just as smooth as any modern digital production, I'd say.


A well executed cel animated anime can be just beautifully fluid. The thing I mean is generally a digital anime is more fluid since it is easier/cheaper to achieve than with cel. Even your average mediocre digital anime is pretty smooth; it's just is more accessible with less money than with cel. I am talking averages, not cherry picking Akira, LOTGH, etc against a mediocre seasonal light novel adaptation from a C level company.

I like the look, yes. The colour palette, the imperfections, yes, I like it.
 
Nov 8, 5:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 6544
I might have agreed in the late 90s/early 00s from around 1999 to 2003 when computer animation in anime was experimental in anime and often looked hideous.

Not now however, I definitely prefer digital animation, with it's increased color palate and better looking light and shadow effects. Modern animation looks better than cell animation in my opinion.
"That's why I love hanging out with you guys. Why shoot something once when you can shoot it 46 more times"
-Wrex (Mass Effect 3)

 
Nov 8, 5:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 8707
HeroicIdealism said:
jal90 said:

Because the thread is open and my keyboard works.

And because meme aside having a "no preference" option is perfectly valid in this discussion, since they are different aesthetics and processes.

But if you want a more elaborate and confrontative opinion, then so be it: I absolutely disagree with your romanticization of effort and hard work, specially when the animators were doing it because they didn't have better options. One thing is the appreciation of an overall aesthetic which cel animation often conveys, another is the apparent lack of realization that doing it this way wasn't a choice and it was a chore for the animators, and digital tools helped them through improving their efficiency and releasing from workload. Rather than going back to cel animation, perhaps imitating the texture of cel animation with these new tools is a better choice, leaving you with the aesthetics without turning the industry backwards to a more precarious state.


No shit it wasn't a choice. When you do have a choice, you tend to choose the easy way out, like they're doing now. And it tends to not look as good (but that's just, like, my opinion, man).

I understand that opinion and preference, of course. But perhaps it's not the process what should be imitated, but the result. I don't know how much of a good imitation of cel animation can be made through digital tools, but if there is the chance they could certainly make use of them. Your alternative of the studios adopting the old method doesn't sit well with me. It seems like going backwards for the sake of going backwards, and bringing back the negatives that this technique had when there is no need to do that to capture a similar aesthetic.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.
 
Nov 8, 6:09 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 66
everyday!! love the way it looks way better and the feel it has. I love looking at the backgrounds people painted and drew for them as well, like in the akira documentary, that shit is crazy

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
"I am not sure if it was just a dream.
My distant boyhood.
Buried memories from the days of early spring."-Guts

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
 
Nov 8, 6:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 4718
Most definitely, mostly because of the backgrounds but specially because of the special effects.
The equipment and techniques they had to use to achieve them.
Like using a lightbox underneath the animation stand to give it that real glow/light effect, now it's done by using programs on the computer.

What really sucks is that none of it has been written down.
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »