Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 17, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2015
teruu said:

None of those are actually funny though

Not even being subjective here, their plot just dictates that their genre is not focused on humor.

How can something being funny or not can be objective? And not focusing solely on comedy =/= not being funny.
Mar 17, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2007
Jare4lopez said:
So you're saying comedy anime lacks wit but Friends have plenty of it? really? Friends?

Look at Fat Monica , does this have "plenty" of wit?

As a larger than average woman I find Fat Monica fucking hilarious.
Mar 17, 2018 2:07 PM

Feb 2016
Energetic-Nova said:
Saucy said:
"Meanwhile sitcoms such as Friends have plenty of wit and well staged humor."

Laugh tracks are a manipulative insult to the viewer's intelligence. Friends has little wit.

Gonna point out that people seldom laugh without other people laughing. It is basic psychology.

I think Community is funnier, yet I laughed more at Friends. I don't think it is better, just better at getting you to laugh.

Community> Big Bang Theory. And Big Bang has lasted longer and people think it is funnier because of the laugh track.

Sure. Empathetic laughter can be part of the atmosphere like when you go to a comedy show or you're in a public situation, but I think that kind of laughter does little to indicate whether something is actually funny. People can get high and laugh like idiots at a cloud in the sky or a shape of a water bottle. That doesn't mean there is anything funny about it.

That's why I said that laugh tracks are manipulative. They get the audience to laugh at something because there is already laughter, but if you take that away, many of the "jokes" fall flat. The flow of the whole show falls flat on its face without the interruptions for "laughter."

It's just fake and insulting. I can decide when something is funny for me, I don't need an audience to help me determine that.

Mar 17, 2018 2:10 PM

Jun 2011
teruu said:
FMmatron said:
Some top anime have good comedy mixed in

Fullmetal
Monogatari
Haikyuu
3-gatsu
Ippo
Gurren Lagann

None of those are actually funny though

Not even being subjective here, their plot just dictates that their genre is not focused on humor.

My top funniest anime

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Azumanga Daioh
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Golden Boy
Cromartie High School
Detroit Metal City
School Rumble
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Kiss Him not Me
Tonari no Seki-kun
Silver Spoon
Cipher the Video
Inferno Cop
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 17, 2018 2:15 PM

Jun 2011
Kuromii said:
Jare4lopez said:
So you're saying comedy anime lacks wit but Friends have plenty of it? really? Friends?

It is right up there with gay-Chandler jokes. As someone married to someone who people think is "just gay" and has a "gay aura", it is something I can identify with. My husband also as an awkward white guy dance. Which... yes. But the "chandler" in my group of friends is really my buddy Mike who I always forget what his job is... and it is something to do with numbers....

I wouldn't say friends is witty as much as it had some of the best chemistry in a comedy show. Because none of those actors are as good on their own. Must be a really great director to inspire that. Cause IRL, Ross hated everyone and Chandler had a huge drinking problem.
Energetic-NovaMar 17, 2018 2:40 PM
Mar 17, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2017
Kuromii said:
Jare4lopez said:

Good for you I guess? I don't like Friends , I'm more a Seinfeld guy

Mar 17, 2018 2:54 PM

Jun 2011
Jare4lopez said:
Kuromii said:

No of course not. :P

(30charlimit.)
Mar 17, 2018 3:03 PM

Sep 2014
Cause Japanese people overall lack a sense of humor.
Mar 17, 2018 3:05 PM

May 2015
Asian comedy is less witty than Western comedy. It's usually more slapstick and shocking. Just watch any Japanese comedy live-action tv show

Mar 17, 2018 3:14 PM

Oct 2007
Jare4lopez said:
Kuromii said:

I've never actually watched Seinfeld, but my dad really likes it. I'll have to give it a go one day.

OT: Japanese comedy is usually a lot different to American comedy (assuming OP is from the US). I don't find comedy series that rely on slapstick humour to be funny (eg Binbougami ga, D-Frag).
Mar 17, 2018 3:31 PM

Feb 2015
Contaminated said:
Asian comedy is less witty than Western comedy. It's usually more slapstick and shocking. Just watch any Japanese comedy live-action tv show

Thank you for the polite response. People here think comedy is subjective when there's a much well known census on what is funny and what is not. And it is not hard to create humor in context when you have an opportunity to do so in anime and manga but anime fans here keep denying this
Hello
Mar 17, 2018 3:39 PM

Jun 2016
I've always felt that way about comedies either they're are lackluster or VERY inconsistent with what I find funny cause humor is subjective. But the "pure" comedies usually fall flat

theres only a handful of animes where I busted out laughing:
Konasuba
Daily life of high school boys
Saiki kuso no nan wa psi
and recently Ghost stories (DUB GANG ALL DA WAE)
Mar 17, 2018 3:43 PM

Mar 2016
teruu said:
Contaminated said:

Thank you for the polite response. People here think comedy is subjective when there's a much well known census on what is funny and what is not. And it is not hard to create humor in context when you have an opportunity to do so in anime and manga but anime fans here keep denying this

>Implying that everyone that doesn’t agree with you is impolite and in denial.

Lol

Mar 17, 2018 3:44 PM

Feb 2015
Katsuo_ said:
teruu said:

>Implying that everyone that doesn’t agree with you is impolite and in denial.

Lol

Why I would never imply such aa thing
Hello
Mar 17, 2018 4:18 PM

Jan 2018
FMmatron said:

Fullmetal
Monogatari
Haikyuu
3-gatsu
Ippo
Gurren Lagann

Fullmetal? What? I don't think this is a good example
Mar 17, 2018 4:34 PM

Nov 2016
langamebr said:
FMmatron said:

Fullmetal
Monogatari
Haikyuu
3-gatsu
Ippo
Gurren Lagann

Fullmetal? What? I don't think this is a good example

Yeah,after thinking about it the examples aren't good.But personally I thought that when these series tried to be funny they were way better at it than all out comedy series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 17, 2018 4:39 PM

Sep 2015
it's a shame most comedy anime don't have the same level of wit like shows such as the big bang theory
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Mar 17, 2018 4:41 PM

Feb 2017
Once they focus on the comedy it starts losing a plot so it gets boring as it goes on

Mar 17, 2018 4:58 PM

Jan 2014
I think a lot of you guys are confusing humor with comedy. I mean Japanese humor is different than American humor. One is not subjectively better than the other. Humor is kind of a cultural thing. The British like British humor, the Americans like American humor, ect. What makes you think American humor, which is characterized by wit and one-upmanship (among other things), would hold up in a Japanese audience?

Comedy on the other hand is like the way a story is presented, in film, TV, ect. You can almost gauge a comedy by how seriously a show takes itself. Sit-com is a specific genre of comedy. Why would a rom-com, for example, have to meet the requirements sit-com to be considered a comedy?

-Krouton-Mar 17, 2018 5:04 PM
Signature is too edgy for me.
Mar 17, 2018 5:50 PM

Mar 2015
60% of my total entris is comedy... japanese comedy is my thing... fight me!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 17, 2018 5:54 PM

Jul 2017
Depends on what you watch, and besides, if you're looking for a quick laugh watch stuff like Konosuba or Ryuo no Oshigoto
Mar 17, 2018 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
teruu said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/4/Comedy

As you can see from the genre itself, none of the top anime are even comedy.

With regards to special cases like gintama, there is little to no wit. Meanwhile sitcoms such as Friends have plenty of wit and well staged humor. Why is anime unable to adapt so and make funny witty content? Is the medium the reason

Hoping people can shed light on it,

I think the biggest issue here is things that get lost in translation.
Mar 17, 2018 7:01 PM
Mar 2018
sashaanjo said:
I dunno... maybe some people find most comedy anime cringy or annoying. I didn't watch many comedy shows, but they weren't that bad...

But they aren't that good either...
I find comedy in general in Anime very weak... and not much inovate. They stick a lot to what it works...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2018 7:17 PM
Jul 2015
The cultural joke has something of relevance, as in Gintama, every so often a reference to any show or program was made there, obviously I can not find the meaning.
Mar 17, 2018 7:23 PM
Mar 2018
I think often jokes are lost in translation and don't work well with subs and / or are badly dubbed. I watched Gintama for a while but stopped because I got tired of trying to get every reference on (mostly Japanese) pop culture. Jojo was a blast tho! (if that counts as comedy)

On the notion of laugh tracks: I despise them and they are an insult to human intelligence. Ever watched a clip of Big Bang Theory without the laugh track? Its.. not.. funny...
SimChuckyMar 17, 2018 7:26 PM
Mar 17, 2018 7:34 PM
Feb 2018
Different culture, different humor preferences. As a matter of fact, majority users in this forum use U.S citizen's perspective
Mar 17, 2018 7:58 PM

Nov 2014
teruu said:
Oh geez, I wonder if that's an issue of bad genre tagging or the entire genre being bad...

You'll likely get an inaccurate view of some of these anime when you see "comedy" in the genres AND definitely you wouldn't search up these anime by looking up "comedy anime". Crappy tags.

teruu said:
With regards to special cases like gintama, there is little to no wit. Meanwhile sitcoms such as Friends have plenty of wit and well staged humor. Why is anime unable to adapt so and make funny witty content? Is the medium the reason

I'm guessing culture plays a part.

I'm not too exposed to Japanese culture much and many of the jokes for examples on the stereotypical things that might happen in say a Japanese highschool I wouldn't have experienced it first hand. But I've grown to find it a little funny because after over watching many anime I've built up some imagined idea of a "standard" that supposedly Japan has.

Oddly enough, I'm quite removed from American culture in the same way and even quite a limited exposure to their entertainment media. I probably watch a small part of the most mainstream of the mainstream (whatever my friends rope me into watching). I've definitely not watched enough sitcoms to perhaps grasps stereotpical American sitcoms archetypes or norms, so there's more than a few moments where it takes more than a few seconds to process the joke and by then it isn't funny anymore.

Saucy said:
Laugh tracks are a manipulative insult to the viewer's intelligence. Friends has little wit.
SimChucky said:
On the notion of laugh tracks: I despise them and they are an insult to human intelligence. Ever watched a clip of Big Bang Theory without the laugh track? Its.. not.. funny...

I've always hated moments where the show tells me what to feel or do before I've even decided myself. Laugh tracks is one of them. Thanks for pointing it out.

Although to a certain within comedy anime, there are moments where the artstyle changes or the characters speak in a manner that essentially cues us to laugh. Admittedly it's much more subtle and less annoying than crudely inserted laughter tracks, to a point that it sometimes adds to the comedic effect if done right.
BurningSpiritMar 17, 2018 8:06 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 17, 2018 8:04 PM

May 2017
Because we all don't understand japenese humor
Mar 17, 2018 8:17 PM

Jul 2014
What are you talking about man, don't you think it's funny when the guy walks in when the girl is naked, and then she punches him into the sky?

Hasn't Family Guy taught you that jokes are funnier when they are repeated over and over? I mean, if a joke is funny, why wouldn't you tell it again?

Reference humor is especially funny because I recognize the shows. I clapped when I saw them!
Mar 17, 2018 8:20 PM

Oct 2015
From what I've seen. Anime that tend to focus solely on the comedy genre uses chibi figures for comedic timings instead of actually funny reactions or punchlines which actually is pretty bad. I think comedies usually tend to work if they don't use chibis. There's also a type of comedy where there's a bokke and a tsukkomi, although it works at times, it becomes rather dull after a while(D-Frag).

I also noticed that the funny ones are 'vulgar' like Prison School and Grand Blue. I haven't watched Gintama but I did watch a few episodes of SKET Dance which honestly isn't funny.

I think the problem with comedy in anime is that its inconsistent in making the viewers laugh and in general has just a different style of 'comedy' than in the west (even if you know how bad the comedy is, I still laugh *cough* baywatch *cough*)
Mar 17, 2018 10:46 PM

Dec 2015
Maybe come back when you've seen more than two comedy anime and developed your own opinion on them? Just watching such a list isn't going to tell you anything.

P.S. Friends isn't funny.
Mar 17, 2018 11:20 PM

Mar 2016
Because anime is aimed at lonely people and lonely people laugh easily.
Mar 17, 2018 11:46 PM

Mar 2016
I must say that western joke doesnt fit for me, they're always saying dick,bitch,penis,etc everytime even there are not in angry situation. Because of that I still prefer eastern comedy that western. A plus in Japanese comedy is Manzai. Its something for me, a yonkoma manga format is always uses this comedic mode

Because mostly people here are from west, you can say the comedy anime is so much wit. But i still find it can make me laugh soo hard

Mar 17, 2018 11:47 PM

Nov 2016
teruu said:

Please do not argue about comedy using the general consensus and treating it like its objective because you really are missing the point when you do that.

Consensus is formed on a majority of subjective opinions on a sample crowd representative of only the population they came from. The Western sensibilities when it comes to comedy and other things, e.g. philosophy and ethics, are developed within their own cultural sphere and are separate from other societies which also developed it separately. There is also the micro level which involves the individual themselves and how their prior environment developed their opinions and how their own brains react to the input of information. You cannot also argue about globalization making ideas fairly mixed since it is a much more recent thing and the ideas with the most visibility and establishment in their own sphere still tends to be the consensus in their spheres. You can also see this in the internet where the general ideas floating around mostly comes from the West since they tend to be the more vocal and more visible due to the fact that they speak in English and ideas that come from other cultures such as the East mostly tend to be closed of due to the language and cultural barrier and for some cases, the inability to access ideas due to hindrances of access to the internet or other means. And the other foreign stuff that you incorporate still has to fit in or fight through within your own sphere of thinking.

Therefore anime comedy being funny is subjective due to sociology and shit.

PS: Also, I like anime comedy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 18, 2018 12:04 AM

Aug 2013
First of all you need to define your sense of humor. Personally I hate American humor. I find American comedy movies/series pretty pathetic and I avoid it by all costs. In the other hand I don't mind European humor (English, French), but still it it's not something that I would like to watch all time.
And finally, Japanese humor hits me hard. I really love their humor. I love their multi layered puns and build ups. Sometimes it's much more subtle and you need to remember a lot of things from previous episodes / chapters to understand many situations. Of course if you don't know their culture and basic of Japanese language, then there is no way for understanding the whole thing.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 18, 2018 12:46 AM
Sep 2017
This is because comedy in anime is mostly presented by deconstructing tropes or subverting entire genres like:-
>OPM (flips the shounen genre on its head)
>Konosuba (subverts the isekai genre)
> Panty Stocking (mahou shoujo parody)
and such.
Also, a lot of jokes (mostly wordplay or cultural in nature) get lost in translation, whether subbed or dubbed. An example would be in Toradora where Taiga mispronounced biscuits and Ami was laughing, a lot of people didn't understand that the way she mispronounced them, they sounded more like penis. Which, only the Japanese understood.
That being said, however, I am pretty sure you're not the only one which dislikes anime comedy. I think there are more people who dislike it, than those who genuinely love it.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 18, 2018 12:54 AM

Jul 2016
Comedy animes are always lacking depths,which is a big disadvantage.

Life is empty without anime

Mar 18, 2018 1:46 AM
Oct 2015
First of all, I don't love the show, but trendiness aside, I really don't get what's so brutally unfunny about Friends.

That being said, a lot of jokes legitimately don't translate, for a simple example, the Tenkaichi Budokai announcer mispronounces Goku's name because its kanji can be read in two very different ways, but if you don't speak Japanese, you don't get that. Same with cultural references, and even some common jokes and quips would differ.

I have found a few funny anime, but comedy shows in general aren't something I usually invest myself in. Aside from maybe something like Brooklyn Nine-Nine that also has good story/characters and a continuitive narrative
Mar 18, 2018 1:55 AM

Jun 2016
Different cultures = different humor. Things are also often lost in translation.
Mar 18, 2018 2:14 AM

Nov 2014
EGOIST said:
From what I've seen. Anime that tend to focus solely on the comedy genre uses chibi figures for comedic timings instead of actually funny reactions or punchlines which actually is pretty bad. I think comedies usually tend to work if they don't use chibis. There's also a type of comedy where there's a bokke and a tsukkomi, although it works at times, it becomes rather dull after a while(D-Frag).
There are some anime that uses chibi figures for comedic timings and even more change their art style to a less detailed one when delivering a punchline. It definitely isn't nice if they do it repeatedly, but overall I seriously don't think it's worse than American sitcoms using laugh tracks to do the same.

Honestly if there's anything noticeable about comedy in anime is that the voice actor tends to have a really noticeable inflexion or just get really loud when delivering the punchline. Yet it is probably exactly this sudden transition and "explosiveness" of anime comedy that I like.

As for boke and tsukkomi, it actually isn't a Japanese thing. It's called a double act and can also be found in many western sitcoms. In any case, I'm not sure about D-frag, but I have definitely enjoyed Seitokai Yakuindomo (which features the Manzai comedy you are talking about) even after watching so many episodes.

rsc-pl said:
And finally, Japanese humor hits me hard. I really love their humor. I love their multi layered puns and build ups. Sometimes it's much more subtle and you need to remember a lot of things from previous episodes / chapters to understand many situations.
Yeah, I definitely find it fascinating that there are some shows that rely so heavily on us watching the previous episodes. And I quite like that.

Many of such shows also feature a huge cast of characters that have been introduced over time, and every once in a while I'm amazed how much the show has changed from the start and how it's sometimes certain jokes have been running for so long that if anyone just starts watching from here they'd have no idea what was going on.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 18, 2018 2:23 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Sorry but Friends is trash IMO. First time I've ever straight up called a show trash here. Same with most sitcoms. Nothing on you for liking it, though it's not my cup of joe.
Not to mention that Japanese anime would most likely have Japanese humor, and that may not click with all people. I think it would be more fair to compare the varied comedy of cartoons with anime, after all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2018 2:29 AM

Feb 2018
Because animés fans tend to be youngsters, who are not yet plagued by the deadly virus of being snobs.
Mar 18, 2018 2:32 AM

Dec 2017
AFWQ said:
sashaanjo said:
I dunno... maybe some people find most comedy anime cringy or annoying. I didn't watch many comedy shows, but they weren't that bad...

But they aren't that good either...
I find comedy in general in Anime very weak... and not much inovate. They stick a lot to what it works...
then again I didn't watch many comedy shows and I'm not an expert to that
Mar 18, 2018 6:20 AM

Feb 2015
ChartTopper60 said:
Sorry but Friends is trash IMO. First time I've ever straight up called a show trash here. Same with most sitcoms. Nothing on you for liking it, though it's not my cup of joe.
Not to mention that Japanese anime would most likely have Japanese humor, and that may not click with all people. I think it would be more fair to compare the varied comedy of cartoons with anime, after all.

Japanese humor in its right context can appeal worldwide as anime is already pretty global, and globalization has created a well average census on what comedy consists of.

This argument would work in the 1950, not 2018.
Hello
Mar 18, 2018 8:59 AM

Sep 2017
>Friends
>well staged humor

Nice bait, try again next time.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Mar 18, 2018 9:48 AM

Feb 2015
KiritoBestGurl said:
teruu said:

Please do not argue about comedy using the general consensus and treating it like its objective because you really are missing the point when you do that.

Consensus is formed on a majority of subjective opinions on a sample crowd representative of only the population they came from. The Western sensibilities when it comes to comedy and other things, e.g. philosophy and ethics, are developed within their own cultural sphere and are separate from other societies which also developed it separately. There is also the micro level which involves the individual themselves and how their prior environment developed their opinions and how their own brains react to the input of information. You cannot also argue about globalization making ideas fairly mixed since it is a much more recent thing and the ideas with the most visibility and establishment in their own sphere still tends to be the consensus in their spheres. You can also see this in the internet where the general ideas floating around mostly comes from the West since they tend to be the more vocal and more visible due to the fact that they speak in English and ideas that come from other cultures such as the East mostly tend to be closed of due to the language and cultural barrier and for some cases, the inability to access ideas due to hindrances of access to the internet or other means. And the other foreign stuff that you incorporate still has to fit in or fight through within your own sphere of thinking.

Therefore anime comedy being funny is subjective due to sociology and shit.

PS: Also, I like anime comedy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of jibber jabber but essentially all you did say was that agree to what I said.
A common census is based on subjective minds, I agree. Anime can be unwitty? Sure we can argue on that but you didn't bring that up.
Hello
Mar 18, 2018 10:02 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Probably because they repeat the same jokes over and over again
Mar 18, 2018 10:05 AM
Feb 2009
teruu said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/4/Comedy

I think you just don't get the comedy.
But then if you look at top rated comedy shows, then onlt Gintama is just for laughs (and fails at it). Others are mostly shows that have some comedy.
But then Friends is made just for the comedy.
Mar 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Oct 2010
>Orders by "Most members"
>"None of the top anime are comedy"

>Orders by "Score"
>What are all these Gintamas all of a sudden

So moving on from this stupid premise and getting into the discussion... wait, there is no discussion to be had. Gintama has little to no wit? Prove it or make a proper case for it. I don't debate over unclear terms, much less under the premise that you are right.
Mar 18, 2018 2:09 PM

Oct 2017
Its all subjective really. I don't find most anime that a lot of people do funny. I enjoy Gintama because of the characters and the story, not the comedy. If it wasn't for likable characters and an amazing story, most of Gintama's jokes would fall flat every single time.

The best comedy anime that I have seen are Konosuba, GTO, Golden Boy, and Prison School. Japanese comedy is just different from Western comedy, with more of a focus on slapstick and puns. Western comedy is more situational and well-timed, with characters bouncing off one another (which is probably why I like Konosuba as much as I do).
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

114 by Vaturna »»
17 seconds ago

» Are there Anime Industry People you hate like Voice Actor, Director, etc?

Dragevard - Apr 28

19 by Nurguburu »»
40 seconds ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 3 hours ago

35 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

19 by animejas »»
8 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

57 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.