Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Love and Lies
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2017 5:43 PM

Oct 2014
So...
if I fake some random male baby's data and make it as if he's the world greatest genius, after that I ask some random goddess so that I can switch soul with that baby, so that I can get engaged with the prettiest daughter of the prettiest wife of the country's richest people, can I have an easy life where i can laze around all day and never run out of money?
Jul 3, 2017 5:46 PM
Jun 2016
What happens if the one your destined to mary dies, or dies after you mary?
Jul 3, 2017 5:52 PM
Dec 2016
The pace for this ep. compares to the manga's quite okay..Let's see how many chapters they can go through.

~Let's the shipping battle start!
Jul 3, 2017 5:58 PM

Jul 2016
The corrupt government prevented them both from getting paired because some other kid related to it wanted to marry the girl or what? That scene was kind of weird.
Jul 3, 2017 6:01 PM
Jan 2017
The anime really pulls out all the stops to make the first episode as dramatic as possible. This has the looks of being a generic story where two lovers push their relationship forwards against all odds, but Yukari and Misaki come off as likable and pitiable given their circumstances. Props to Ryota Osaka and Kana Hanazawa for their performances. Looking forward to next week!
Jul 3, 2017 6:02 PM

Nov 2014
So much cringe. It was cute, but the scene where Yuusuke asks Misaki to meet him, and the confession made me cringe so hard I had to pause it.

The government is arranging marriages to boost the birth rate. I wonder if something like that could actually happen.

I adore the character designs. Everyone is so wide-eyed, lol.

It's nice to see an anime with actual romance and physical contact—in the first episode no less.

Good start.

4/5
Jul 3, 2017 6:08 PM

Jun 2015
Tokoya said:
cwtgcheese said:

Not sure what this means. It was most likely an email, and even so, the writing is making it seem like the broken phone is the reason why the names are different, which doesn't make any sense. In any case the message has to be recoverable somehow.
I'm dead lol

SMS = Short Message Service which is basically a text message.....Be it that or an email, automated messages are a thing

But yeah, the phone messing up (I think it got hacked tbh) is clearly a plot device somehow so I hope that they deal with that and not brush it aside
That phone seemed out of a Shinkai movie. It executed weirdly as well, since it didn't last long enough for the viewer to actually believe they were meant to be together. Quite pointless but if I had to guess it seems like some sort of heavy-handed way to illustrate he'll pursue that outcome no matter what. It's more figurative than a fact to be considered by itself. And what I mean by this is that I think it's one of those elements that appear to be never mentioned again (and so I'd ditch any sort of down-to-earth but weird theories like a hacked phone). Of course I might be wrong about this, but for the way it happened and how much time it lasted I'd be surprised if it's reintroduced again.
UnowenJul 3, 2017 6:18 PM
Jul 3, 2017 6:09 PM

Feb 2016
what if you secretly kill your "Wife" in order to secretly get the one you like while secretly killing the husband that the one you like doesn't like? :v fuck this system btw, I want to know what happens if you don't marry so I can state my opinion over that goverment setting LOL
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 3, 2017 6:14 PM

Jan 2016
I hope there's a girl who will fall in love just by giving her an eraser lol..
Anyway..
Good first episode.. The pacing is the same as the manga for the first episode.. I don't think it's too fast etc. because the main problem came after this so the beginning should be like that.. Can't wait for the next episode cause I already stopped following the manga..
Jul 3, 2017 6:29 PM

Oct 2011
Omg that confession 😭😭😍
Jul 3, 2017 6:44 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lordwen said:
Tokoya said:
I'm dead lol

SMS = Short Message Service which is basically a text message.....Be it that or an email, automated messages are a thing

But yeah, the phone messing up (I think it got hacked tbh) is clearly a plot device somehow so I hope that they deal with that and not brush it aside
That phone seemed out of a Shinkai movie. It executed weirdly as well, since it didn't last long enough for the viewer to actually believe they were meant to be together. Quite pointless but if I had to guess it seems like some sort of heavy-handed way to illustrate he'll pursue that outcome no matter what. It's more figurative than a fact to be considered by itself. And what I mean by this is that I think it's one of those elements that appear to be never mentioned again (and so I'd ditch any sort of down-to-earth but weird theories like a hacked phone). Of course I might be wrong about this, but for the way it happened and how much time it lasted I'd be surprised if it's reintroduced again.
A big part of me feels like you're right but I want closure still lol xD
Jul 3, 2017 7:10 PM

Mar 2009
lolwut? Making out in the first episode already? Moving a little too fast there.
Jul 3, 2017 7:41 PM
Sep 2008
LOL XDD
watched the intro of the episode and im like/// WHY IS THE PLOT IS THE SAME AS THE BOOK SERIES "MATCHED" by Allyson Braithwaite Condie (2010)
cant the author of the book sue the mangaka for using the same plot as her....? "The novel is a dystopian young adult novel about a tightly-controlled society in which young people are "matched" with their life partners at the age of 17." " Matched couples are given a period of courtship, and are then married when they turn 21. The system was devised to give couples their best chance at having healthy children"
its basicly the same plot but in japan and a year younger.... where they have to marry their matched partner and not allowed to love anyone else
XD

gonna watch it tho cuz the story sounds interesting
Jul 3, 2017 7:55 PM

Mar 2016
It wasn't as heavy as I thought it was going to be... especially the opening song... like I was expecting grungy and emo!

when you pulled out the eraser my fat-ass thought it was butter
Damn she already lied in the first episode...
UrbanJahtsJul 3, 2017 8:07 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 8:07 PM

Jul 2012
So, we just get a MC who confess to the girl he likes and kisses her just to be cockblocked by the government. Oh damn!
Seems interesting so far, it has a greaaat potencial to be a trainwreck tho.

Mladen said:
No one gonna question two government officials appearing and finding him in the park right as the clock struck 12 AM on his birthday? Like, were they stalking him all day just waiting for his birthday to drop the news on him? I feel like funds for their government would be better spent on something else, but that might be just me. Maybe the world revolves around MC, so he gets a special treatment.

Right? I thought it was so strange since his phone glitched and then they appeared. I was like "WTF are you guys from the future? Is he Jonh Connor?"
taynisJul 3, 2017 8:15 PM

Jul 3, 2017 8:16 PM
Sep 2008
omg finished the episode XD

the plot copying of the book "MATCHED" is down to the thing that his notice got gliched and then he recieved another girl from what he was suposed to get... wow this irritates me...
how can no one ever noticed that the mangaka copied from a best selling book T_T
Jul 3, 2017 8:23 PM

Jan 2017
Never felt so nervous before watching any new aired anime >.> Koi to Uso is the first <10 chapters manga format that I read, and with such genre, the irritation of reading and waiting for next chapter is crazy and it is still Ongoing. plus, I read it straight after finishing Nisekoi and managed to finished Hirunaka no Ryuusei and Kuzu no Honkai while still reading it.

The first episode was so good, I thought the studio going to downgrade the rating but no, we still get the lewd kiss scene xd.
The narrator voice at the opening is Takasaki right?
and I was surprised at first at who is the girl with the silver hair at OP then pop,

From the first episode, there is one thing that made me strengthen my opinion more toward Takasaki. somehow, I get the feeling that she will be the major part of the Lies instead of Love. anyway, I support the pure Sanada for the Nejima instead of her (and I hope the author do also).
Let see how well the anime adapted
Jul 3, 2017 8:25 PM

Jul 2015
what's up with the message on his phone? something is not right :<
Jul 3, 2017 8:26 PM

Jan 2011
As serious as the declining birth rate is in japan is i can't help but find it hilarious that it's being used as a plot point for a romance ,the government controlling who get's to marry who sounds like a episode right out of black mirror despite how it's not to far off from reality with arranged marriages it just seems like they are leaving themselves to open to a bunch of plot holes

like why can't these two that clearly like each other pair up or all the other ways relationships can end due to human nature how do they monitor all of this hell how did they even know he was in the park on the dot off midnight, for now just gonna laugh it off as "anime"

was thinking doesn't this just turn into Kuzu since their both gonna end up dating someone else they don't like while still liking each other

also someone needs to tone down the pupil size just a bit
Jul 3, 2017 8:34 PM

Jul 2016
kinda still not invested to this show, need more episode to watch, decent visuals and op

taynis said:
So, we just get a MC who confess to the girl he likes and kisses her just to be cockblocked by the government. Oh damn!
Seems interesting so far, it has a greaaat potencial to be a trainwreck tho.

Mladen said:
No one gonna question two government officials appearing and finding him in the park right as the clock struck 12 AM on his birthday? Like, were they stalking him all day just waiting for his birthday to drop the news on him? I feel like funds for their government would be better spent on something else, but that might be just me. Maybe the world revolves around MC, so he gets a special treatment.

Right? I thought it was so strange since his phone glitched and then they appeared. I was like "WTF are you guys from the future? Is he Jonh Connor?"
maybe some kind of SERN staffs stopping the MC cause he might destroy the system. xD

is this some kind of ntr?
Jul 3, 2017 8:56 PM

May 2015
tragedydesu said:
this is too predictable how it will end
just another Nisekoi with different excuse to make the trash blonde girl win

1/10 , dropped

I like how you know that for sure based on basically nothing.

Jul 3, 2017 8:57 PM

Dec 2014
wow major development from first episode...you never know what to expect do you
Jul 3, 2017 9:00 PM

Jun 2016
Be in love with a sweet girl for a long time ✔
Love is mutual ✔
Kana Hanazawa ✔
Another girl become your waifu ✔
She's a tsundere ✔
NISEKOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 3, 2017 9:04 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode, nice start overall.

Government regulated arranged marriage decided at 16 years old? That's kinda sad. To be honest, I don't think it's a very far fetched premise or anything. Arranged Marriages based on religion/caste and what not are still very prevalent in various parts of the world. I like to think of this series as a sort of a commentary on it, only difference being they sorta wrapped this up in a science based government matching.

HanaKana. <3

The elementary school story was sweet and I like how Nejima mustered up his courage before the notice came.

The park scene was really beautiful and the soundtrack was great, the soundtrack did feel similar to Kuzu no Honkai's since it's the same composer.
I loved the lens flares/lights in the background during their conversation, especially the kiss.

Not sure what exactly happened to the phone, remote hacking seems viable but it could be some big plot element. The only thing I found off about the episode was the government officials appearing at exactly 12 midnight. Could suggest that they were monitoring Nejima somehow and might relate to the phone as well.

Anyway, looking forward to more.
Jul 3, 2017 9:11 PM

Jan 2013
i actually applauded for MC and main heroine...then that fake-out text came, something's fishy about that especially with the agents sounding like complete robots.
Jul 3, 2017 10:39 PM
Jul 2018
Usually i would drop shoujo anime after 1st episode, but i guess this anime isn't that bad even though the story is rushed and few generics characters/setting.
Jul 3, 2017 10:41 PM

May 2016
Lordwen said:
Tokoya said:
I'm dead lol

In my opinion, that was used to tell the viewer that they ending up together is not out of the question yet, even though the chances are very low.

It telling us "Oh, maybe the goverment DID make a mistake and perhaps they will realize it someday and fix the problem"

In other world, it's a plot point that was set up at the beginning of the series and will only become relevant again by the end as the trigger of the final arc or something.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 3, 2017 10:48 PM

Jun 2011
I knew with the sort of premise it'll attract the Frodos and look even MAL got afflicted.

The whole adaptation felt like a live action Asian drama what with the presentation and the timing of events. If this bothers you, then better bail now because it's just going to get a hell of a lot more chaotic. Of course, there's going to be those who'll stick with it just to hatewatch it.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 3, 2017 10:59 PM
May 2015
wtf he actually confessed on episode 1, already looking better than most of the romance anime ive seen then again it is only episode 1
Jul 3, 2017 11:38 PM

Feb 2017
Their huge eyes are really distracting, plot is coming so quickly on the1st episode, but the ost already sounds godly. 7/10

Jul 3, 2017 11:41 PM

May 2016
I actually have problem with this marriage system.

Why? Because regardless of who the characters are in love with, is the goverment who ultimately decides who they'll end up with.

That means a happy ending can only occur if the couple are in accordance with the goverment's decision.

Assuming the marriage system won't be terminated halfway through the series or something, there's only two good endings:

1.MC and blondie fall in love and have a happy marriage.

2.MC and blondie don't fall in love and the government realizes their mixup mistake and fix it, reuniting MC with Dere.

And that's it, those are the only good options, everything else is a 'bad ending' and I doubt the show will go any of those ways.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 3, 2017 11:45 PM

Sep 2013
2/5- Nice animation and good background art. Misaki is really gorgeous and the background music was decent. The eyes didn't bother me as much and the episode was passable.

Those are the only good things I can say about this. I do not like the premise at all. Forced marriage for higher birth rate? I live in Idaho and I'm sure there are more cows than people here. Despite the abundance of cows we have, I still feel there's too many people here. It's interesting to have this plot device because we have two people who love each other but can't be together. That alone is good enough for me but that law is still really stupid.

If birth rates are so low, I wonder how bad is the suicide and murder are rates now? If I had someone I'm interested in who likes me back, I'm pretty damn sure I'd either kill my wife or end myself rather than be trapped in a loveless marriage. No one wants that kinda a life but I guess 40 years of this probably made this world's viewpoints completely different.

Anyways, I'm intrigued on how Misaki will get with Nejima but at the same time I don't really want them to be a couple. I don't like Nejima at all. He's way too generic looking like most male leads in romance series. It's the thing I hate the most in romance or harems where the guy is so hard to distinguish months or years after the series ends. I also hate his self-loathing personality and how cowardly he is.

The thing that bothers me the most about Nejima is that he kept his half of the eraser for 5+ years! It's fine if Misaki kept her half because it was gifted to her. What's not fine is that Nenjima kept the other half in a box. It's the exact same thing as giving someone a Rose bud but you keep the stem to remember the moment. Why not have the two characters exchange something? It would be a lot more romantic than keeping half of the gift you gave away. It just came off as creepy to me.

Oh Shit, I'm ranting a little. My apologies. I'll end on this final note. How in the fuck is there low birth rate when Takasaki mounted Nejima and french kissed him?! I'll be back to see what happens because that text said one thing but the paper said another. So I wonder what will happen. All I know is that this series is gonna really annoy me but I'm going to give it a chance.
TehSnawnJul 3, 2017 11:58 PM

Jul 3, 2017 11:48 PM

Mar 2016
You know with the whole message. I think that originally the main boy and main girl (can't remember names) were supposed to be together but because they confessed and the government realised they were in love they had to change it. And you know how they said that it wasn't supposed to be on a message but the blonde girl got a text. so yeh clearly somethings up

not a bad first episode, i do like the plot. big eyes are kinda dramatic but i got used to them
Jul 3, 2017 11:53 PM

Jun 2014
I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but Takasaki Misaki reminds me of Yasuraoka Hanabi from Kuzu no Honkai.

And Nejima Yukari reminds me of Eiichirou Maruo from Baby Steps.

Anyway, this is a good anime at the very least. But it could be better than this. 8/10 so far.
Jul 4, 2017 12:02 AM
Jun 2011
katsu044 said:
As serious as the declining birth rate is in japan is i can't help but find it hilarious that it's being used as a plot point for a romance ,the government controlling who get's to marry who sounds like a episode right out of black mirror despite how it's not to far off from reality with arranged marriages it just seems like they are leaving themselves to open to a bunch of plot holes

like why can't these two that clearly like each other pair up or all the other ways relationships can end due to human nature how do they monitor all of this hell how did they even know he was in the park on the dot off midnight, for now just gonna laugh it off as "anime"

was thinking doesn't this just turn into Kuzu since their both gonna end up dating someone else they don't like while still liking each other

so that mean you liked it a bit or not?
Jul 4, 2017 12:29 AM
Apr 2016
Of course he likes it since it depicts harsh reality in a anti-utopian sense (even though everyone *seems* happy and the society prospers)
I really liked the "third party intervention" move in regards to the phone announcement. I may only wish that by watching this through as well, I might get closer to the answer to our being: Love. Kuzu no Honkai did bring just some enlightenment.
Re:formed
Jul 4, 2017 12:29 AM

Jun 2015
Well it was decent I guess. The whole arranged marriage thing is ridiculous though.
:)
Jul 4, 2017 12:36 AM
Nov 2016
Maybe the government plants a chip in everyone once they're born, so they can know where to go to give them the official information and keep an eye on them so if they resist the marriage they know where they are and can arrest them?
Jul 4, 2017 1:34 AM

Jan 2011
elior1 said:
katsu044 said:

despite ridiculous premise i didn't hate it,it's just far to early to judge and it weighs heavily on how crazy they plan on going with it, was nice how quickly things were progressing between the two but we all knew that would end bad.
Jul 4, 2017 1:37 AM
Jun 2017
A good start for me though , never even read the manga so I dont know what to expect , but hopefully it will be continue to be good throughout these summer seasons.
Jul 4, 2017 1:52 AM

Jul 2013
There are only two possibilities..

Either someone who's related to a high ranking government official is in love with Takasaki OR that someone is in love with Yukari (gay for him probably)

Tbh the premise is ridiculous. If they want to tackle declining birth rate, deciding at 16 is way too early since they couldn't even get married yet. They would do better with forcefully matching people who aren't married or has no partner by the time they're around 28-30 years old
Jul 4, 2017 1:53 AM

Jul 2014
This is certainly an unusual premise, but as this first episode has already shown, there's lots of room to make something compelling out of this. The two main leads we've met so far seem nice enough and definitely seem as if they'd work well together (based on what we've seen, at least), but it's very odd to fall in love over an eraser like that. In any case, there aren't many anime that ever show the kiss, so fair play to this show for having one in the first episode. Other than that, I am kinda confused by this system, as those two government officials implied that they always present people with their marriage notice in person, but the blond girl found out about Nejima by text, which makes the text/email that Nejima received (seriously, what was that all about?) all the more bizarre.

Definitely the most interesting premiere I've seen so far this season, with a good OP and ED to boot.
Jul 4, 2017 2:00 AM
Jun 2011
katsu044 said:
elior1 said:
despite ridiculous premise i didn't hate it,it's just far to early to judge and it weighs heavily on how crazy they plan on going with it, was nice how quickly things were progressing between the two but we all knew that would end bad.
i will understend better when the sub will be released but i agree the premise is rediculous but even so from what i heard from manga readers it the type of manga that have it ups and downs as it progress
Jul 4, 2017 2:00 AM

Mar 2013
Sheesh, that was bad. The animation was terrible for one thing and the characters are so stupid and plain. If they really wanted to do this forbidden love thing, there were much better ways to do this. I don't see why the first episode even had to be an out of nowhere confession - they could've opened this with the two being in a secret relationship and had the exact same story with much more flow and cohesion to it. But no we gotta do that same tired anime bullshit of "we spoke once when we were 6 but I love you".

The premise bothers me a lot too... It brings it up way more questions than answers. I don't get why people are even standing for this. Like, what's the government gonna do if the whole next generation protests and refuses to marry? Are they gonna throw every single 16 year old in jail or what? And what happens with gay people? And why does getting married mean people are gonna instantly have babies? Lots of marriages never end in children. And forcing your spouse to fuck you is just rape... And forced pregnancy is horrifying. Marriage is just a document unless it's got something behind it; it's just a symbol! It's meant to be a symbol of love, not some contract that says "you must have at least two babies". And this goes without mentioning how surely Japan must now be a nation of rampant infidelity where everyone's having affairs.
Jul 4, 2017 2:12 AM

Sep 2015
ui an eugenics anime

the animation was pretty bad though. those eyes....

Jul 4, 2017 2:21 AM

Dec 2015
That was pretty unexpected, I didn't think they would go so far in the first episode already. I think I'm in for a lot of drama in this anime.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 4, 2017 2:32 AM

Jul 2015
Shirasho said:
The fact that the two people showed up in the park at midnight to deliver the paperwork despite the kid being yelled at 90 minutes earlier to return home and the fact that the girl came running to see him in the park so damn late completely shattered this for me. It was all so unnatural. The plot is relatively unused which is nice, but I simply can't get over the unnatural behavior in this episode. It's going to take a lot of excellent writing in episode 2 for me to remotely enjoy watching this. At least I get to hear more KanaHana.

Makes me wonder if these kids have a tracker on them or something...

Jul 4, 2017 2:42 AM

Jul 2016
I'm not sure about this. The romantic parts were done pretty well and the characters seemed decent enough for me to at least continue watching, but I can't get over that government marriage system. If you're going to enforce a system like this you'd have to make it optional or there's gonna protests and riots everywhere.

I'll watch episode 2, so I can see what Lilina is like, and to see if my fear is confirmed about how their going to drag this thing out for a whole season (maybe two since the episode count is still unknown and the manga is still publishing). I get the feeling I'm gonna have dropped this by next week.
Jul 4, 2017 2:43 AM
Nov 2016
A pretty generic start, this show does seem to have potential but it all depends on the kind of route this show takes, it's crying out for the producers to take the serious route and not the easy-to-use route.

It does seem a bit like Kuzu No Honkai but if it wants to match Kuzu no Honkai, then it will have to be much better than it is at the moment

The character designs are a bit weird, the big eyes remind me of the characters in Ao Haru Ride.
Jul 4, 2017 2:53 AM

Sep 2016
I remember reading the manga and get so bored of it

1. HOLY SHIT THOSE EYES!!! it's like that horrifying piece of "art" called Clannad all over again

2. your typical negative beta loser (target audience, YOU!) is keeping the fucking ERASER for 5 YEARS and the beautiful popular girl DID THE SAME and SHE LIKED HIM THIS WHOLE TIME!!! no wonder this is quite popular, this is loser's dream comes true.

3. and of course the bitch that the AUTHORITARIAN EVIL GOVERNMENT who did all this shady things TO SAVE THE BIRTH RATE is way prettier than the bitch he liked. wow, lucky. it's Chitoge all over again. I can already see all the forced drama, cliche and even the ending.

at least Nisekoi was funny at first before it gets never ending cycle of literally nothing happened after marika appeared.

pure trash 1/10
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2017

315 by BarbeQ »»
Apr 28, 1:50 PM

» What the is the concept of Koi to Uso (Spoilers)

Darth_InVader - Feb 23, 2019

10 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Apr 5, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2017

90 by Giolbat »»
Mar 18, 6:57 PM

» Koi to uso -About Anime, Manga and my feelings for Sanada Ririna [and the fact that i think I've come to genuinely develop love feelings for her even though shes not real]

ScaryNightmare - Jul 14, 2023

5 by ScaryNightmare »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:53 AM

Poll: » Koi to Uso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2017

171 by 1_Mikay_1 »»
Jun 26, 2023 5:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.