Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 4 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 2, 2017 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode..

Willem continues to face the burden of his personal demons. While we got a good amount of storytelling this episode, I like the world building as well. The kids seems to get along well with him still and that brings a bit of relief.

Loved the OST usage of this episode.
May 2, 2017 9:16 AM

Dec 2014
As I thought, watching these two scenes almost back to back sure was heartbreaking..

When I first read about Willem's dream, I honestly thought it was the real deal. Given the vibes of the story up to that point, it wouldn't have been weird for a major character to die so early on. Luckly that wasn't the case and the story carried on with Tiat's examination, which also wasn't exactly the happiest moment ever and then..the second scene. This one was much more believable, given the fact that we knew that he wasn't spleeping nor daydreaming (just had bumped into someone). Here I just dropped my hopes for a successful return and was ready to face what came next.

I love Kareno Akira's ability to play with your emotions so easily yet so effectively. These two scenes are nothing innovative, nor amazing by the genre standars; however the way they were used and the mood shifts that you go through, while experiencing what's between them, made them particularly powerful.

This week's op scenes, directly from Chtholly's mind:
https://imgur.com/a/9AugL

AnathorMay 2, 2017 11:50 AM
May 2, 2017 9:28 AM

Apr 2017
Great episode as always, went by in a flash, the scene in the rain was scary, and I truly believed it because of last episode's preview but I'm glad I was proved wrong!

May 2, 2017 9:30 AM

Oct 2014
Way to toy with our emotions, Kureno.
May 2, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2013
The animation quality is taking a hit but if it doesn't go lower than that I guess it's still fine for SoL scenes.
Lizard romance~.
I liked the music during the scene where the news about what happened to Island 15 spread.
Music choice and composition in this anime is really on point.

The slap has nothing to do here IIRC and felt out of place to me, but that's about it.
EDIT: after checking the original material, the slap was actually here, so it's just me not remembering.

ZefyrisMay 2, 2017 6:26 PM
May 2, 2017 9:40 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not gonna lie.....I teared up a bit when Wilheim saw that the girls survived and rushed so fast to hug Holly....I'm SO happy that they didn't die :'')

Other than that, Tiat is way too adorable and I don't want her or any of the other 3 kids in her group to grow up and be forced to fight :(
May 2, 2017 9:41 AM

Aug 2013
I love this series. Beautiful sol moments, with even more beautiful scenery.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 2, 2017 9:47 AM

Dec 2016
i was going to give it my "loved it" but right at the end... Chtholly u didn't have to slap him (>人<)

May 2, 2017 9:51 AM
Jul 2014
Not sure how to feel about this episode, seems the people that havent read the LN got the proper emotional response from it, but there's just so much depressing internal monologue missing from the anime that it just doesnt carry the same impact as the LN to me.

Also, I haven't read vol 2 in a while, but I feel this episode was just the first 1/5th or so of it, by gods they stretched it out (and it worked well, taking book adaptations slowly instead of rushing it out usually ends up being better to me)
May 2, 2017 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
The hug scene was still adorable despite the slap. I do hope animation won't get worse than this.

I really like Willem's seiyuu. This is his first main role but he's great. The fact that I can't recognize his voice as any other characters also helps a lot.
OrangeMay 2, 2017 5:41 PM
May 2, 2017 9:55 AM

Nov 2013
That was intense as hell
May 2, 2017 9:55 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Really nice hug scene, Willem grows attached to everyone in the orphanage.

Tiat is such a tsundere :D Very cute and we get more information.

The Harbinger dream tells you that you're ready for handling a sword in battle and you get the ''fine-tuning'' for it. Also being a fairy can cause mental disintegration to arrive at the worst if illness hits you.
May 2, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
I'm glad the girls made it back alive. Willem was so worried about them. He was broken when he heard the defense of Island 15 failed. The hugging scene was nice, but the slap was dumb. Tiat was adorable.
May 2, 2017 10:06 AM

Mar 2016
Just why Satelight ? Kutori never slapped willem after their reunion .
They're really pushing the tsundere moves over kutori when she's actually not one herself . I mean in the LN she was embarrassed and that's very understandable, but she never slapped him and that was unneeded imo.
I'm a bit bothered also they disregarded the true ending of volume 1, but that may be due to not adapting vol 4 which is related to that ending.
Well otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode.
Shishou_23May 2, 2017 10:09 AM
May 2, 2017 10:08 AM

May 2015
my heart cant handle these things . .
im glad they came back
May 2, 2017 10:09 AM

Jul 2007
This episode captures real well the feeling of waiting for someone you care about return from war.

The episode is filled with moments that are extremelly relatable to the idea of a person being MISSING that you got used to being around you, be it Willem's nightmares of losing everyone around him, the insomnia Willem seems to be suffering from or even Willem's silently escalating desperation that slowly grows bigger and bigger as the episode progresses. Willem can do nothing but wait and hope. Sure he tries to keep busy interacting with children he takes care of, going on trips to movies, taking care of chores and all, but he can't escape the uncertainty he feels, the unknown on whether everything will go alright. In a sense, the viewer is taken on a ride with Willem because the viewer does not get to know the fates of the characters till Willem himself finds out.

At the same time as we are taken on an emotional journey with Willem, the show also continues the world building expanding upon characters and overall lore.

The show is really good in making children act and speak like actual children, which is somewhat rare in anime. Be it when they fangirl over a movie filming location or expect to grow up momentarily after drinking milk - it feels like something children would do.

Likewise in terms of worldbuilding we had a lot of show-not-tell this episode showcasing the weird and unique culture of the post-human world, starting with movies, traditions and overall behavior of society, both darker and lighter sides of it. This episode really helps to set up a living breathing world.

Overall all of the worldbuilding works as a nice distraction both for us and Willem, till it slowly ties together into his worries, leading perfectly into the episodes culmination where we get to see just how well Kareno Akira can play with readers/viewers feelings and do chilling mood whiplashes. Everything that has been building in the background explodes and Willem and the viewers can't keep it to themselves anymore. The scene set-up is perfect - not only it is raining, but Willem's mind also ties parts of the nightmare he had to the real world dejavu that strengthens his desperation and breakdown till a sigh of relief comes in form of a super-fast hug. For now everything is fine. For now, the loss of the fight did not mean the loss of lives. But it is only one of many fights to happen and only second Willem witnessed. And this kind of worry and fear will most likely haunt him every time they leave.

This is such a brilliant adaptation so far. We get a very well handled story of suffering and desperation of the one left behind to wait for other's return. And in nice twist this is actually a fun gender role reversal too as it is usually the male character fighting and female character waiting. Willem's portrayal here and especially in the hug scene is strongly emotional which is quite unusual for male LN protagonist, who are usually portrayed as "cool" and voice of reason. Its unusual and refreshing.

if anything this episode helps to establish how different this work is from traditional LNs.

DragonSlayer_19 said:

Its still within her character to do so. Especially to save face. I would not be surprised if she ends up apologizing.
AhenshihaelMay 2, 2017 10:14 AM
May 2, 2017 10:10 AM

Oct 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:
They're really pushing the tsundere moves over kutori when she's actually not one herself . I mean in the LN she was embarrassed and that's very understandable, but she never slapped him and that was unneeded imo.

I don't think the slap conflicted with the LN too much, and rather than a behavior of a tsundere I think an overreaction was due to her internal conflict at the time, if you know what i mean.
May 2, 2017 10:22 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

The Lizard Romance in the beginning had me laughing. xD

Tiat is really adorable, it's fun watching her run around and noticing all the stuff she sees in her movies. Really nice.
Little info on the fairies and their ability to handle swords dropped which was was great.

Damn, the final scene was really emotional. When they announced they lost the battle, I actually thought the three of them died and didn't know what I was gonna do but when I saw those three faces walk in, I was smiling. xD
They survived, I'm so happy for that. :D
May 2, 2017 10:27 AM

Oct 2016
Well, I gotta admit, the Nightingale Dash appears much more impressive animated than it sounds on paper.
Germs_N_SpicesMay 2, 2017 10:33 AM
May 2, 2017 10:34 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, that was extremely intense, and I was honestly stunned speechless by the initial revelation that the defence of Island 15 had failed and what that obviously meant. Mind you, that just made Willem's reunion with Chtholly and the other two even more powerful than it would have otherwise been. Other than that, the revelation that the children are rapidly-aged to become able to fight once they have the "Harbinger Dream" is certainly an interesting one, not least because it makes the situation all the more painful and makes Willem more and more powerless to do anything to help them.

Brilliant episode.
May 2, 2017 10:36 AM

Dec 2014
Prodox said:
Also, I haven't read vol 2 in a while, but I feel this episode was just the first 1/5th or so of it, by gods they stretched it out (and it worked well, taking book adaptations slowly instead of rushing it out usually ends up being better to me)

So far they have been adapting 1 chaper every episode more or less. 4 chapters of vol1 and 1 chapter from vol2. However they skipped, together with the end of vol1, the whole first chaper of vol2. But that can be animated a later time so np.
In this ep they did spend more time in the city I think, but aside from that it was very faithful. Was surprised that they animated the cinema bit, very funny to see the lizards' scene.
May 2, 2017 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
I loved how he flashed stepped towards Chtholly
made me laugh surprisingly
May 2, 2017 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
The episode was slow, but it went on a flash yet again.

Still, I think this is the first episode where I didn´t appreciate much of its directing. In an episode which was a bit stretched in order to reach that emotional reunion at the end, they had to go and butcher a bit of Willem´s conversation with the doctor. If that was a try to explain the encroachment stuff they failed miserably. Another lost chance to touch on the nature of the fairies (or to somehow insert the last chapter of the past volume), in an episode where they stretched other needless conversations with Tiat. Seriously what a let down on that part…

The reunion at the end was nice and emotional but that original slap was so unnecessary. I don’t blame people if they start to see Chtholly as a tsundere.
Biggest highlight of the whole episode for me was again how amazing the OST played on the scenes. The atmosphere and world building were also nicely conveyed.

May 2, 2017 10:55 AM

Sep 2015
Does it make anyone else mad that he didn't hug the other two as well?
May 2, 2017 10:59 AM

Apr 2017
HecticLeo said:

Yes!, Especially Ithea shes so sweet

May 2, 2017 11:02 AM

Apr 2015
Ren is jealous she wants that hug too you know!

Ren >>>>>>>>>> shit > Kutori
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
May 2, 2017 11:03 AM

Aug 2016
HecticLeo said:

Yes, he should have done a group hug, would have been less akward too.
Nanika ga Okashii
May 2, 2017 11:06 AM

Jul 2009
For a moment my heart skipped a beat, this episode put the word anxiety to its true meaning.
May 2, 2017 11:13 AM

Feb 2015
Dirty_Four_Eyes said:
HecticLeo said:

Yes, he should have done a group hug, would have been less akward too.

Well, it wasn't like he was putting much thought into being considerate in the first place. The point was that he wasn't thinking =P
May 2, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Just a personal thing here.

While the reunion between the girls and Willem was very heartwarming to see it would have had a more emotional effect on me if there had not been a dream where he couldn't find any of the girls. When I saw him wake up from his dream I immediately knew they were going to try and make us believe at one point that the girls really were dead only to then pull it around.

May 2, 2017 11:23 AM
Jun 2011
I was so worried after seeing the preview in the last episode that they would rush through this whole part of the story and the reunion would happen only halfway into this episode. Instead, we were treated with a pretty good adaptation with even a few added worldbuilding scenes. So many small snippets of dialogue that were straight out of the LN which I assumed they would skip over.

I am so far pleased with this adaptation despite its small faults like skipping a certain something at the end of Volume 1. However, that could also mean that the adaptation could stop before volume 4 (which I still hope for because chances of a second season or at least a nonrushed adaptation of a part of the LN).

EDIT: Judging by their pace so far, they might actually be aiming to end the anime at the end of volume 4.
GoldkoronMay 2, 2017 11:30 AM
May 2, 2017 11:25 AM

Dec 2015
That was close, I thought they'd kill the girls off...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 2, 2017 11:26 AM
Jul 2016
sooooo defence failed and they are all back? wonder what happened
May 2, 2017 11:28 AM

Feb 2015
Cagliyora said:

While the reunion between the girls and Willem was very heartwarming to see it would have had a more emotional effect on me if there had not been a dream where he couldn't find any of the girls. When I saw him wake up from his dream I immediately knew they were going to try and make us believe at one point that the girls really were dead only to then pull it around.

Well, I agree that it probably wasn't as emotional as it could be, but I don't really think that's the important point here any way. I think this episode mostly serves to show a side to Willem we haven't seen before more than anything. Doesn't really matter what the audience believes here, what matters is what Willem does.

But yeah, pretty good episode overall. Most of my problems with this episode were things that applied to the light novel as well so I'm fine with this adaptation for the most part. I always love how this story shows cute happy moments and then always throws a wrench in things. "Sure she's having fun sight seeing but the only reason she's here is because she's going to start risking her life in battle soon."
May 2, 2017 11:28 AM

Feb 2016
ugh my heart, the wait from last episode felt almost eternal, so glad that they are safe
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 2, 2017 11:30 AM

May 2016
Ohh that was really romantic. Will sure were worried about them
May 2, 2017 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
Lohuydahutt said:
Cagliyora said:

Well, I agree that it probably wasn't as emotional as it could be, but I don't really think that's the important point here any way. I think this episode mostly serves to show a side to Willem we haven't seen before more than anything. Doesn't really matter what the audience believes here, what matters is what Willem does.

But yeah, pretty good episode overall. Most of my problems with this episode were things that applied to the light novel as well so I'm fine with this adaptation for the most part. I always love how this story shows cute happy moments and then always throws a wrench in things. "Sure she's having fun sight seeing but the only reason she's here is because she's going to start risking her life in battle soon."

Oh I know and I should have mentioned that I still thought it was a very good scene and it made me happy to see Willem give Ctholly a big hug after we saw his past and how he doesn't want these girls to suffer.

I haven't read the LN and I agree with you about how the show handles cute happy moments. Seeing Tiat have a lot of fun only for Willem to tell himself that she will eventually become a soldier was quite effective.
May 2, 2017 11:34 AM

Jul 2014
This was good, lizard popculture and Willem's anguish especially. Though meta-comments from the other girls continue to annoy me and this episode had a lot of messed-up faces.
No, really, it would've been better if the red haired girl stopped breaking the 4th wall, worldbuliding is what this series excels at, no need to break the immersion.

And I hope they'll address why Willem was allowed into a high rank and a secret facility. I mean, it's obvious that he can teach girls, considering his background, but still he is an excavated human, and the way he got the job, at least the way it looked to Willem, was rather low-key. Tho I wonder why they let him live freely in the first place.
May 2, 2017 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
Damn MC is fast af boiii.

Sweet hug at the end >///<

Can't wait for next episode.
May 2, 2017 12:01 PM

Oct 2014
DragonSlayer_19 said:

because it's a good way to end an episode.
nothing more, probably.

Nah, no need to worry about it might make people think Chtolly is tsun. I mean: don't you look from the response of people here? :)
May 2, 2017 12:06 PM

Mar 2016
deadoptimist said:

And I hope they'll address why Willem was allowed into a high rank and a secret facility. I mean, it's obvious that he can teach girls, considering his background, but still he is an excavated human, and the way he got the job, at least the way it looked to Willem, was rather low-key. Tho I wonder why they let him live freely in the first place.

In the LN it is said that it was a job on paper only (idk if mentioned before here), and grick said they just want a decent man preferrably dis-featured (he hooked him up to begin with), and the fact that many leave their post after working for a small period and willem is connected to naigrat facilitated it .
May 2, 2017 12:19 PM

Oct 2013
I like the way this episode transitioned from a mundane trip with Tiat for her physical to an intense conclusion after the defeat at Island 15.

Maybe next week we'll find out what dog girl wanted from Limeskin.
May 2, 2017 12:31 PM

May 2010
Tiat is cute.
Willem is really such a worrywart haha. That was a really nice Willem x Ctholy scene, I liked. Nice long hug.
I felt the slap a bit. weird. But he did pretty much break her spine so ye. And seems like it wasn't in the novel? Interesting. Wonder if the novel writer made that change.
May 2, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2014
DragonSlayer_19 said:
In the LN it is said that it was a job on paper only (idk if mentioned before here), and grick said they just want a decent man preferrably dis-featured (he hooked him up to begin with), and the fact that many leave their post after working for a small period and willem is connected to naigrat facilitated it .

Thanks a lot! Eh, maybe the creatures there are more relaxed when it comes to things like this, but you would think that they should be more picky with an observer over a military controlled facility that hosts their only way of survival - he has access to the fairies and the swords. And they gave him a high rank which does work in the common chain of subordination as we've seen this episode, that is power over people. Also it's been mentioned that they dislike humans for their legacy and don't know too much about them, and Willem was in some facility in the flashback, I assumed it probably had to be by their government.
I mean, I'd understand if they secretly put him there to maybe teach the girls something, but it doesn't strike me as a post that would be given to anyone.

It isn't a big problem for me - I am fine with some concessions in a story and this series is enjoyable enough, but it seems as a bit of a plothole.

TragicRomance said:
Tiat is cute.
Willem is really such a worrywart haha. That was a really nice Willem x Ctholy scene, I liked. Nice long hug.
I felt the slap a bit. weird. But he did pretty much break her spine so ye. And seems like it wasn't in the novel? Interesting. Wonder if the novel writer made that change.

Yeah, I also didn't understand the slap.
May 2, 2017 12:51 PM
Jan 2016
I liked the first part, but somehow the second half didn't really move me. I guess it's because somewhere deep down I knew they didn't die. I just felt it. It would be strange if the face of the series died this early on along with the two other most prominent girls. Just didn't seem plausible at all.
May 2, 2017 12:56 PM

Aug 2013
The romance between the lizards is what relationship goals is all about.

I don't want anything to happen to Tiat. She's just too adorable.

That fast hug from Willem. Guess he was really depressed for her.

May 2, 2017 12:57 PM

Dec 2014
deadoptimist said:
And they gave him a high rank which does work in the common chain of subordination as we've seen this episode, that is power over people.

It was cut from the anime but he was bluffing. He doesn't know how much authority his rank gives him and Nygglatho told him (unless they cut that too) that his rank didn't amount to much in the army. He wanted to know what happened to the three girls, so he just tried to use his rank (which still gave him access to that suite-like room).
The second technician's job (officially and known up to this point) is to take care of the warehouse and the "weapons" within it. The weapons are property of the guild Nygglatho is in, which is a civilian organization. Since they can't just leave these key weapons in the hands of civilians, officially it's the army that has the control over them; even though, like I said, it's the opposite.
Basically it's just a contact between the army and the guild, past technicians didn't even show their face at the warehouse and after their term was over a new one showed up (if the previous ones didn't leave sooner, after getting freaked out by the "weapons" nature.
It's not a very well liked job, which is why Grick probably was able to give it to Willem so easily.
The rest will be explained in future episodes.
AnathorMay 2, 2017 2:12 PM
May 2, 2017 1:08 PM

Sep 2013
Tiat and Willem going to a checkup and sightseeing.
The girls are safe and heartfelt reunion :'(
May 2, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2007
TragicRomance said:
Tiat is cute.

The slap is in the LN. The fan translation simply missed that part since it is described from Willem's POV.

And I don't see how it would not make sense? Ctholly is a child. One that has a very hard time dealing with her emotions or the concept of not being expendable. It was the only way she knew on how to get out of that situation.

Anathor said:

It was cut from the anime but he was bluffing. He doesn't know how much authority his rank gives him

It was pretty clear that he was bluffing tho in the way he handled himself in that scene. He points to the shoulder patch indicating rank in an unsure tone and only after the soldier reacts the way he does, does Willem regain composure and ask about it in firmer tone.
May 2, 2017 1:30 PM

May 2010
Fai said:
TragicRomance said:
Tiat is cute.

The slap is in the LN. The fan translation simply missed that part since it is described from Willem's POV.

And I don't see how it would not make sense? Ctholly is a child. One that has a very hard time dealing with her emotions or the concept of not being expendable. It was the only way she knew on how to get out of that situation.

Ah I see, thanks for informing.

Hmm maybe it felt weird because I was having all these typical-tsundere-heroine-hits-the-MC-on-getting-her-privacy-violated flashbacks. I mean I know Shuumatsu is different but still... I couldn't help but find it weird. Not saying that your insight is wrong ofc.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

460 by -ODA- »»
Apr 26, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2017

144 by toralbabs »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2017

130 by toralbabs »»
Nov 3, 2023 8:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.