Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2017 3:04 PM

Dec 2016
Just a few years ago reviews on MAL got a LOT more attention, which showed in the amount of helpfuls they got.
Now it seems like even popular anime reviews don't get any attention at all anymore. Has the community given up on them? And do you guys even read reviews anymore?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2017 3:05 PM

Sep 2016
idk the only relevant reviews are the one rated 4-5 since 1 is hater and 10 is fanboy
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 14, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2015
I think more people just want to not be affected by another persons opinion and just make there own opinion about that anime
Sup...
Jan 14, 2017 3:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i don't read reviews or watch reviewers... its simple

because i don't give a shit...
Jan 14, 2017 3:08 PM

May 2015
The issues are the so called previews, reviews done during the airing of an anime. Once the anime finished airing the mods will sooner or later delete the review, however it takes some time to actually disappear so most people still rate those reviews that will eventually be removed and likely never check the reviews for that anime again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2017 3:08 PM
Jan 2013
Of course people care about reviews
Did you not see the shitfest Zegneedsfood profile became?
gone bai bai
Jan 14, 2017 3:09 PM

Oct 2012
Hm, I tend to think of reviews as more of an afterthought when I finish something. I rarely read reviews much anymore as I tend to prefer to watch a video review instead. Reviews only written in text just isn't the same for me when I'd rather see or hear what a reviewer is trying to convey.

MAL reviews aren't totally useless though, as they may occasionally provide me some insight worth its weight.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 14, 2017 3:09 PM

Jul 2010
Only made one single review on this site in all my 6 years being here but mostly it was just for myself and don't really care if anyone reads it anyways, wonder how many else feels like that on this site, maybe not the majority though.
TenthJan 14, 2017 3:14 PM
Jan 14, 2017 3:13 PM

May 2015
Reviews don't matter that much and they should never be a main thing that you use to decide to watch/rate a show, but there's nothing wrong with making them or reading them IMO. I like seeing alternative viewpoints.

Also, Re:Zero got one of it's reviews into the first page of the best voted reviews, which is a good achievement considering most of the shows in there are popular stuff from longer ago. So there is still a good chunk of people who want to look at reviews.
-Rainy-Jan 14, 2017 3:34 PM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 14, 2017 3:14 PM

Jan 2016
i often read at least one before watching the anime,but i don't decide if i'm going to watch it or not based on reviews
also i think some animes are pretty trashed by anime reviewers and some are way overrated
i just don't care about them anymore
Jan 14, 2017 3:16 PM

Nov 2013
I agree with @EcchiLordMamster.

I prefer forming my opinion. And since some series are overrated/overhyped, reviews are not really trustworthy.

Also many people seem to use reviews as a means to either hype or shit on a show.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 14, 2017 3:17 PM

Dec 2016
RainyRai said:
Also, Re:Zero got one of it's reviews into the first page of the best voted reviews, which is a good achievement considering most of the shows in there are popular stuff from longer ago. So there is still a good chunk of people who want to look at reviews.

Hmm that's actually surprising. But looking at the recent reviews: Go back as far as you wnat, anything above 5 helpfuls is a rarity. Actually everything above 2 seems to be a rarity. That is NOT even close to how much the averge review got back then.
Jan 14, 2017 3:20 PM

Jun 2014
I read only the most helpful reviews, and even then only occasionally.
I mostly just look at the scores. Comparing those 4 featured reviews' scores with the user score USUALLY let's you know how 'good' the show is, rather than how 'popular' it is.
Jan 14, 2017 3:23 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TheBigGuy said:

I prefer forming my opinion. And since some series are overrated/overhyped, reviews are not really trustworthy.

Also many people seem to use reviews as a means to either hype or shit on a show.

i don't really gain anything from someone else's opinion on a show... its not a world problem, its entertainment, and no one can tell me how or why to be entertained by something. so to me, reading or listening to reviews is pretty much a waste of time

now if you're one of the few shameless youtubers who reviews the greatness of fanservice... of which i only know one... then well talk...
Jan 14, 2017 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
I personally read reviews only after finishing the show to grasp a little understanding on what others thought of the show, just out of curiosity.

Can't say anything about other people tho.
Jan 14, 2017 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
EcchiLordMamster said:
TheBigGuy said:

i don't really gain anything from someone else's opinion on a show... its not a world problem, its entertainment, and no one can tell me how or why to be entertained by something. so to me, reading or listening to reviews is pretty much a waste of time

now if you're one of the few shameless youtubers who reviews the greatness of fanservice... of which i only know one... then well talk...

I know you probably weren't serious but I don't think any anime youtubers does that since most of them have to be "deep" and shit and above that.
Jan 14, 2017 3:25 PM

Feb 2015
I like to read reviews once in a while to see what people thought of it. Though I usually skip the ones that are rated 10/10 or 1/10.
Jan 14, 2017 3:25 PM
Jan 2017
@GangsterCat i dont think 10 is fanboy i gave 10 t cowboy Bebop because of the chars and amazing story
Jan 14, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2016
I started reading blogs and mal reviews of a few people last week and it's the one thing keeping me on mal.
Jan 14, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 2009
I don't really read reviews that often anymore, I feel like I know enough to form my own opinion.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 14, 2017 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
Sakuyasama1000 said:
@GangsterCat i dont think 10 is fanboy i gave 10 t cowboy Bebop because of the chars and amazing story

Sounds like something a fanboy would say.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 14, 2017 3:38 PM
Jan 2017
@Shoryu sorry but im not an fanboy im art lover XD and cowboy Bebop is really good my first anime
Jan 14, 2017 3:41 PM

Aug 2013
Don't care about reviews. I watch anything i think looks dope...
When it comes to others opinions about anime i only care about recommendations for similar shows.
Jan 14, 2017 3:46 PM

Sep 2016
It's not that not reading reviews means you don't care about what others think, most people are incredibly bad at hiding it:l
It's not that you can't have your opinion after reading some of them;0
FondenteJan 14, 2017 4:05 PM
Jan 14, 2017 3:55 PM

Apr 2011
I've read a lot of reviews on here over the past few years, kind of drifted away from them.
Some look more like rants then reviews.
Jan 14, 2017 3:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Tenth said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

I know you probably weren't serious but I don't think any anime youtubers does that since most of them have to be "deep" and shit and above that.

nah, theres an anime youtuber who talks about fanservice, hes been around since 2012, but his channels kept getting taken down so most ppl probably don' know who he is xD
Jan 14, 2017 4:02 PM

Nov 2016
I don't actually read reviews but I do check on people's anime compatibility to see what my scores are like compared to others.
Jan 14, 2017 4:04 PM

Jul 2014
People seemed to stop giving a shit after the "Not Helpful" button was removed.
Take care of yourself

Jan 14, 2017 4:09 PM

Dec 2016
razortongue said:
People seemed to stop giving a shit after the "Not Helpful" button was removed.

I actually thought that might be the reason too, but if it was...it sure took some time. I don't know when exactly it was removed(must have been the first half of 2015), but reviews did get attention at least one or two months after that.
Jan 14, 2017 4:12 PM

Mar 2016
I like to read reviews to see if other people's opinions align with my own.
I love it when niggas roast an anime with straight cold fire and there's nothing left standing.
Infinite Stratos reviews are my favorite.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2017 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
reviews with 8-10 rating are always call a review.
Jan 14, 2017 4:37 PM

Jan 2011
Nobody cares about the 10000th Naruto review, but otherwise it's not uncommon to see people getting sphincter spazzled over them.
Jan 14, 2017 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
I usually skim through reviews before determining if I want to watch something.
Jan 14, 2017 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
Here's a "short" list about the things I honest to God don't give a flying fuck about on MAL...

>Reviews by MALers....usually fucking teenagers who think they know anything...fuck off!

>The ratings....more cancerous than casual discussion as far as I'm concerned.

>Any type of "list" ranking anime in some arbitrary way done by MALers on the threads....Jesus Christ kill me now!
Jan 14, 2017 4:50 PM

Dec 2016
JustALEX said:

>Any type of "list" done by MALers on the threads....Jesus Christ kill me now!

I hope you did that on purpose...

Edit: Oh I see you realized now.^^
Jan 14, 2017 4:56 PM

Feb 2013
I've never read any review and never will.
I will pick an anime to watch based on the picture,genres and maybe synopsis.
Jan 14, 2017 4:56 PM

Jun 2008
Creatiwiti said:
JustALEX said:

>Any type of "list" done by MALers on the threads....Jesus Christ kill me now!

Lol...initially I did do it on purpose...then I said....nah, they'll think I was being unironic.

BTW...the list I'm talking about is usually the "which anime was the best of the season"

Or anything to that effect.

They seriously need to just ban those threads.
Jan 14, 2017 4:58 PM

Dec 2016
JustALEX said:
Creatiwiti said:

Lol...initially I did do it on purpose...then I said....nah, they'll think I was being unironic.

BTW...the list I'm talking about is usually the "which anime was the best of the season"

Or anything to that effect.

They seriously need to just ban those threads.

Never try to be ironic on the internet. It doesn't work, believe me I tried. XD

I'd say just let them do whatever they want, but this is kind of getting off topic really. :3
Jan 14, 2017 6:23 PM

Apr 2007
At most I skim the reviews. Many reviewers nowadays on this website actually don't know how to write a review, so whenever they write something it feels like its coming from an elitist, pushing their so called "good-taste" and arbitrary standards on me. Some veteran reviewers like Venneh write good and insightful reviews so I would read those.
Jan 14, 2017 9:48 PM

Jul 2013
Most probably because the "Not Helpful" button was removed. But then again, even with the presence of that particular option reviews were never helpful to begin with. People will immediately downvote a review if they do not agree with the score without even reading the whole content and analyzing the points that the reviewer has made. Now that only the Helpful option is present, only the fans would even bother with reviews. Although occasionally you can still see a collective opinion of those who didn't like the show among the reviews such as one particular Shelter review for instance.
Jan 15, 2017 1:00 AM

Aug 2016
beeeeeeecauseeeeeee who gives a shit
Jan 15, 2017 1:03 AM

Jul 2015
If I'm on the fence about a show I read the reviews for sure
Jan 15, 2017 1:06 AM

Jan 2011
From professionals you have a point but from youtubers and inform fans...people do care.

I am more incline to trust someone who is like me than someone getting paid to review something.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 15, 2017 1:08 AM

Aug 2013
TheBigGuy said:

This. Same goes to ratings. I'm even more positive if series which I want to watch has low rating.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 15, 2017 1:10 AM
Apr 2011
Creatiwiti said:
Just a few years ago reviews on MAL got a LOT more attention, which showed in the amount of helpfuls they got.
Now it seems like even popular anime reviews don't get any attention at all anymore. Has the community given up on them? And do you guys even read reviews anymore?

Nah, I just read the synopsis, maybe look at the score average, and give the show a shot.

Plus there are so many reviews made for the entire sake of counteracting other peoples' opinions, rather than actually providing real helpful info to the reader. You're better off just taking a chance and watching the show yourself.
Jan 15, 2017 1:22 AM

Jul 2013
I usually read the reviews and see the score stats after watching the shows. Dunno, I'm always curious what other people's thoughts about it.
Jan 15, 2017 1:36 AM

Mar 2014
You can thank MAL and the removal of the "Not Helpful" button for that

I have only written one review and it's the greatest review on MAL. Check it out fam
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 15, 2017 1:45 AM

Jan 2015
Creatiwiti said:

I only read reviews after I watched the anime anything that can potentially spoil me/or change my opinion before watching, is something I don't want to experience :3

I rather wanna read reviews than watch video reviews because of obvious reasons, because if you watch an anime review on youtube, youtube would start being a b**** and sending you recommendations with more videos that often have spoiler titles or spoiler images from the manga -w-

So in that sense I would prefer reviews because they give me less trouble and I can find out what other people thought of the anime I'm interested in which gives me enlightenment :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jan 15, 2017 1:50 AM

Jul 2014
if its good enough to read or sounds like a valid reason then i would take it on board....otherwise nah
Jan 15, 2017 1:58 AM

Mar 2009
I trust other users' affinity to me, to pick up the next anime I should watch.
If we rate highly the same anime shows, then I see which other anime they like and consider watching them.
Works very much better than just reading reviews.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

53 by Akumahime66 »»
2 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

38 by Punkero »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

28 by Punkero »»
6 minutes ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

11 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 54 minutes ago

8 by traed »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.