Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 4, 2016 9:28 PM

Aug 2014
Yotaro said:
Is that end enough for you?
Oh Yotaro, I've missed your cheekiness these past 10 episodes.

If I didn't know Rakugo was getting a second season I would've flipped out at this ending. I can't believe Konatsu is pregnant. At first I thought she was stringing Yotaro along but she was actually serious! Another surprise was Yotaro wanting to inherit Sukeroku's name. I wonder how Kiku will take the news.

In the end, Kiku wants Yotaro to do what neither he nor Shin could do; make a Rakugo that stays the same at it's core but also changes with the times. Some pretty big shoes to fill, but we'll see if he can do it next season.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Apr 4, 2016 10:12 PM

Jan 2013
Ended in a nice place for a second season.
8.5/10
Apr 5, 2016 12:01 AM

Jan 2014
That was beautiful :')
I'm even ok with Konatsu having an illegitimate child!
Apr 5, 2016 12:06 AM

Oct 2013
that scene with Kiku at the grave talking to Sukeroku... FEEEEEEEEEELS

What with the series hitting its peak last episode, I was expecting a trivial, anticlimactic epilogue I don't care about like every other anime that does this, but I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful this worked. Yotaro is the spitting image of Sukeroku... that bombshell at the end confirms it.

This show had its dull moments, but its so artistic, moving, beautiful and just unique that I love it. The Kids on the Slope comparison is valid, but this propels itself far beyond what KotS ever did. AOTY contender right here.

Crossing my fingers for the second season to be just as good!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 5, 2016 9:22 AM

Jul 2009
Aww man, this episode gave me so many feels :( Kiku ended up taking the Yakumo name, then to the future where Yota's older and Konatsu's pregnant! :O Him asking to be the father ... oh boy. The scene with Kiku seeing Sukeroku at the graves was so touching T_T Then Yota asking for his name ... oh boy, looks like we're getting a second season! I can't believe Matsuda's only 72! I swear he's been alive forever even when Kiku was a kid lol. I guess he just looks old for his age, I mean he should only be around 50 or so yet his hair's completely white :O

Overall man, this was such a dramatic ride ... great characters and animation and music of course, but the plot was pretty legit! Plus the atmosphere and rakugo were all really good. I'm kinda sad the "past" portion of this has come to an end (and OK, let's admit it, Sukeroku and Kiku were totally meant to be) but it'll be interesting to see where this show goes. Giving it a very respectable 9/10 :)
Apr 5, 2016 10:12 AM

Feb 2013
This was so good....like....unbelievable.....

I really hope rakugo got a bump in popularity because of this anime...

10/10 Fucking incredible
Apr 5, 2016 10:52 AM

Dec 2012
The Anime of the Season people!

I'm so glad that I picked this up. That was a great way to end the 1st season. Simply an amazing anime.
Apr 6, 2016 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
shanimebib said:
The graveyard scene was done masterfully.

I was spoiled regarding Konatsu's baby but it's okay. At least I know she won't be an irresponsible adult like her parents. She has what it takes to bring up a child. And I am sure Yotarou would make a wonderful husband for her, and a great father for her boy and the boy will carry the Sukeroku name for sure.

This has been a sensational ride. More Konatsu and Yotaro please. Cannot say how happy I am now that we know a sequel will be made. Definitely the AOTS.

9/10

i just wanna say thank you for this picture and just throwing some positive words out there for Konatsu.

Her having this child by herself is nothing surprising or a negative thing but i do understand how it's a huge deal culturally in Japan. What i loved the most was how Kiku responded to Matsuda-san about it. She does what she wants to do and how this whole topic is usually viewed negatively because it's an old fashioned way of thinking.

I definitely feel Konatsu planned this, she literally said she just really wanted a child to continue the bloodline. She probably chose someone she wanted to do this with and with no strings attached. Like who even cares who the father is, i don't even think that's the point of this. It just shows, that as Kiku said, Konatsu is a strong girl and when she's fixed on doing something, she'll do it in her own terms.

I feel sad for Kiku cuz he knows he made her suffer growing up but he's suffered a lot too.

That graveyard scene, I felt like the real ghost there cuz i was dead from the pain. Yota wanting to inherit Sukeroku's name made me crack up so bad though.
Apr 6, 2016 9:44 PM

Aug 2015
Yes it is end enough for me :D Season 2 when?!

kiku's apprentice wanted to take his friends name, what a cliff hanger. I'm glad they pointed out that it won't end there. Oh and the pregnancy too, I wonder why she was so hesitant to talk about it.
Apr 8, 2016 12:48 PM

Nov 2011
i have yet to see a josei cartoon that isn't good
Apr 8, 2016 9:26 PM

Jul 2014
perfect anime of the season, the ending tough....

11/10 best!!
Apr 9, 2016 9:02 AM

Nov 2015
This was amazing! Can't wait for the second season !!

9/10

Apr 9, 2016 9:28 AM

Nov 2012
And the cycle between the Yakumo and Sukeroku names continues... Yotaru looks like the Sukeroku who was the main character Sukeroku's master too.
Apr 9, 2016 8:06 PM

Mar 2008
Konatsu being pregnant was a shock . but I'm glad that Yotaro wants to be the father of the child..
the grave scene was heartbreaking where Sukeroku appeared..

historical genre is not my type, but I enjoyed watching this series. this is gold .. can't wait for the season 2.
Apr 12, 2016 1:01 AM

Sep 2013
What a finale and two revelations in one episode, I definitely was not expecting such a time skip after the conclusion of the flashback :o
Apr 12, 2016 1:07 PM

May 2012
That ending fragment was great! Quite a hard cut cliffhanger but knowing there will be a second season it will make it only better!

I really enjoyed the whole ride as it sure had an interesting touch and atmosphere to it!

I'm looking forward to the next season!
Apr 16, 2016 8:52 AM

Mar 2014
This should've been what I watched during the season.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Mixed feelings for a sequel season though.

8/10

P.S. I'm gonna go on a limb and say the father is Yotaro's boss.
Apr 18, 2016 7:02 AM

Nov 2011
Touching the end, I just wish after the opening minutes, which tells what happens after the departure of Sukeroku and Miyokichi, there is a really big time leap and find yourself at the point where the story began. They are shocked to learn that Konatsu was pregnant, I preferred that there was a different story for her. I look forward to the sequel, touching final scene in the ending where there are Matsuda-san, Konatsu, Yotaro and Kiku-san.

It was the first time I saw an anime series on Rakugo, special and profound, I liked it. For now my rating is 8.5 / 10.
Apr 20, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2016
Vey disappointed with this ending. Episode 12 really ruined this show for me.
I don't even see the point of having a second season, Yotarou gonna be Shin's reincarnation and he's gonna save rukago?
and why does Yotarou feels like he has to raise that girl's child? Same mistake Shin did.
at least Shin was raising his own child. Even tho that manipulative bitch trapped him.

This show portrays "being a man" in a wrong way. also the women in here are annoying weaklings who can't even raise their own child without some guy "being a man" and helping them out .
They ruined Shin's character with that shit.

I swear the more i think about this show the more annoying it gets. so i'm just gonna leave it at that.
Still tho Episode 11 was a masterpiece.

7.5/10 Still a good show, but it would've been amazing if the ending was as good as the rest of show.
Mr_ShnbApr 28, 2016 11:26 PM
Apr 21, 2016 2:08 PM

Apr 2013
Great show. I'm glad I decided to watch it after I missed out on it last season. I even had to binge watch the last 5 episodes because it felt so intense. God to see that they immediately announce a second season, otherwise I would have been pissed!
Apr 23, 2016 2:12 AM

Jul 2012
Excellent series. 8/10

Despite being bored sometimes, it was a great ride overall and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Apr 23, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2012
Some of the character's actions didn't make a lot of sense and that is my main criticism with the show.
The story was good.
The art was great.
The sound was great.
Overall I think they could have changed the setting to other things and it would have been just as successful.
It had it's up's and it's downs however it was a nice exposure to a culture that I didn't know a lot about.
Overall solid 8/10.
Apr 23, 2016 8:25 AM

Aug 2014
Dat ending tho, lol. Great characters, story, art and sound...I never expected to say something like that for a Deen show, easy 8/10 for me.
Apr 27, 2016 1:54 AM

Jun 2012
The atmosphere presented was fantastic, it completely had me.
I liked the story, although I feel like the moment we've all been waiting for (episode 12) wasn't quite as I had anticipated, I couldn't explain why though b/c I'm not too sure what it was exactly myself.

Really glad for S2 though a little put off because I marathoned this one so the incomplete close made me a little unsatisfied.

May 1, 2016 11:42 AM
May 2016
Just finished the whole season 1 and I am now looking forward to the next because damn I wanna know more about Kiku.
I thought this was the perfect Josei I've watched, but I guess it cannot be without the disappointing parts...Though I understand human nature and love, I can't seem to forgive the geisha ;_;
Just one thing...can someone (spoil)/tell me that the kid is not Kiku's, please? I can't seem to find the answer right away and am really wanting to know! >_<
MakuraMotouMay 1, 2016 11:50 AM
May 18, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
The finale was so good, this return in the present was well done. Now, we understand the behavior of every characters especially Kiku and Konatsu (she became a beautiful woman, very similar to her mother).
Kiku didn't want to teach Yotaro, because the last time he spoke about host students was for Sukeroku, Miyokichi and Konatsu.
It's fantastic that Sukeroku's name will be perpetuate, I would be very sad otherwise.

This anime is why I love anime. The story is very original and all the episodes are very pleasant to watch. See you next season !
May 19, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2013
what a strong anime I've watched. I legit cant wait for s2 now.
I miss sukeroku already ;ol

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Jun 26, 2016 11:43 AM

Apr 2015
THE HISTORY DOES REPEAT IT'S FUCKING SELF!! THAT'S IT!!! LMAO XDDDDDD

Honestly if this anime got S2, I dunno whether I can hold up crying myself upon this new Sukeroku failure or not, been trying to hold up tears during that cemetery scene (it succeeded tho).

Also I got some questions to ask: Does Kikuhiko told them the whole story of him in one night? I mean, it's midnight right? and telling them such a long story would take at least 6 or more hours, did they up all night? Or do Kiku told them his story in many days? (this option is possible too since Kiku in episode 1 looks younger than episode 13 Kiku.)
YouJun 26, 2016 11:48 AM
Jul 11, 2016 12:43 PM

Feb 2008
What an emotional rollercoaster. This entire episode was emotionally painful to watch and I loved every bit of it just as I did the previous 12 episodes.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 19, 2016 9:49 AM

Dec 2011
Old Konatsu is such a good mixture of Sukeroku and Miyokichi!
Aug 5, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2016
Season2(Sukeroku Futatabi Hen) will start form Jan 2017, announced Yesterday.
Aug 25, 2016 8:10 PM
Dec 2013
Did it ever mention who the father was?
Oct 12, 2016 6:39 AM

Jun 2011
What a great series! I've had all kind of expectation for this series, and I love the fact that it kept going against my expectation and always managed to surprise me. After the first 4/5 episodes, I had it at an 8, and while it was something special, it lacked the flare to be something greater, but with each passing episode, I get more absorbed into this series as the drama lit up. Even then, I was expecting the events to be annoyingly over-dramatic, however, it didn't went overboard and had its balance, and I really liked it. The events also played out differently than I initially thought it would. I fully expected to hate Yurie/Mayokichi before all the drama, but she turned out to be surprisingly humane and sympathetic. I disliked the 7th Yakumo at first because of the fact that he's fooling around with Mayokichi and later unreasonably expelled Sukeroku, but it's revealed that he had a reason behind his action, and it doesn't portray him as just another 'bad guy'. Everyone in this series has some sort of human traits, and I like that they're not just characters, but actually feel like humans, which is why I can't really hate anyone of them.

I can't wait for the sequel. Wish Yotaro and Konatsu hook up later on, they're my OTP after Bon x Sukeroku. C:

edit: there's one thing I forgot to mention, and that is the voice acting. I love that this series is giving the voice actors/actresses a test, to see how good their voice acting can be, to voice different type of personality during the act of rakugo. The voice actors for Bon and Sukeroku did amazing. Ishida Akira especially, as expected.
ToG25thBaamOct 12, 2016 6:42 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 12, 2016 10:25 PM

Mar 2012
This was a complete surprise, was not at all on my list of things to watch, but i randomly looked at it the other day on the list of summer season shows, and i thought why not...it was amazingly well done, a true emotional ride.
While i would normally be happy for a 2nd season...I sincerely have my doubts with where the characters are at now that the 2nd can really hold a candle to the bond between Bon and Sukeroku. This season has set the bar incredibly high for it's second part, however I guess we shall see.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 18, 2016 12:21 PM
Jul 2009
It's been a while since I saw a truly amazing finale. Not a lot of anime can end it like this. Sometimes, they rush it and forget their audience.

Graveyard scene was powerful followed by Yotaro wanting to inherit the Sukeroku (?) name. I said out loud, "Karma!" Kiku's suffering is never ending lol

When Yotaro said that he wanted to be the father of Konatsu's child, I thought he was being a simpleton lol But I guess that's what being a Yotaro is, right? Overall, I was glad that he offered and I hope she accepts. It's probably going to be a tsundere way if she does accept lol

I'm really itching to do some research so I can spoil myself to the bone...
Oct 31, 2016 12:26 AM

Oct 2012
Poor Kiku, he's really surprised
The ending, not like this :(

"Is that end enough for you?"
No, I need more.. I want more! :(

I'll miss everything
I want to forget everything about this anime and watch it again
That way I'll never get bored for the rest of my life xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 31, 2016 6:32 PM

May 2014
That cliffhanger tho- at least there's a second season coming, which I'll likely tune in for.
I really like Konatsu! She's one hell of a woman, and kinda like an odd mix of bits of Sukeroku and Kiku, although that's hardly surprising! I'm sure she'll make a wonderful mother and I would be happy for Yotaro to be the father. Can't help but wonder who the biological father is tho!!

Overall, the series was definitely better than I thought it was gonna be, but nothing absolutely amazing or groundbreaking either. Thing is about this sort of anime, whilst it's never boring, it never had me on the edge of my seat- but then again it's not intended that sort of series. I had a strange experience with this one...there is clearly more of a story to be told, but I was still content with the ending and not exactly gagging for more.
Strawberrycake48Oct 31, 2016 6:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2016 11:32 PM

Oct 2015
The series was dramatic and had a cool story. I dont know why Konatsu resented Yakumo though because he was not responsible for her parents death. I will watch the next season because i want to know her baby's father and the continuation of sukeroku's legacy. The series has taught me about Rakudo but i did not like Yotaro at all. I thought at the first episode he will be the lead character for the entire series, thank God.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 26, 2016 8:31 PM

Feb 2016
Farabeuf said:
A great series all around. Best of the season hands down and one of the better shows of the last years. Shame they couldn't finish it in one go. I fear for the planned second season. As far as I can see, sales in Japan are not too great. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I got a real bad feeling about the fatherhood of that child, but I'm hoping my twisted take on human psychology is proven wrong.

Oh dear... that makes sense but perhaps is farfetched, especially the lack of remorse and even cheeerfulness when talking about the irresponsibility of the mysterious father and equality to Matsuda. The fact she doesn't want to discuss it, the fact that Yakumo pleaded for forgiveness to Sukeroku for what he 'did' to Rakugo and what he 'did' to his daughter etc.

And then there's the fact that the daughter looks like Sukeroku and Miyokichi; even an amateur like me could feel the yaoi vibes there.
Cloud_IllusionsDec 26, 2016 8:52 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jan 1, 2017 2:52 PM

May 2015
Great show! I really liked it!

9/10. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 2, 2017 3:31 AM

Jun 2014
Well, finally completed this brilliant series. I felt so many emotions while watching it, the characters were all phenomenal and the voice acting was God tier. Very emotional story with a strong message, this series truly is a blessing and to make things even better, it's getting a second season soon enough.

9/10
:3
Jan 5, 2017 2:40 AM

Dec 2012
I started watching Rakugo Shinjuu because of the good comments it was getting in the thread of other anime. I truly don't regret it and I'm kind of glad to getting to watch it after it has finished airing because the weekly suspense would have killed me. Can't wait for season 2 now.
allo
Jan 7, 2017 5:49 PM

Jan 2014
This truly was the show that set the bar for AOTY 2016. A strong 8.5/10 rounded up to a 9/10 for this little gem that definitely deserves a lot more attention that it got when it was airing.

S2 is going to be a blast.

Rosny said:
Farabeuf said:
A great series all around. Best of the season hands down and one of the better shows of the last years. Shame they couldn't finish it in one go. I fear for the planned second season. As far as I can see, sales in Japan are not too great. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I got a real bad feeling about the fatherhood of that child, but I'm hoping my twisted take on human psychology is proven wrong.

Oh dear... that makes sense but perhaps is farfetched, especially the lack of remorse and even cheeerfulness when talking about the irresponsibility of the mysterious father and equality to Matsuda. The fact she doesn't want to discuss it, the fact that Yakumo pleaded for forgiveness to Sukeroku for what he 'did' to Rakugo and what he 'did' to his daughter etc.

And then there's the fact that the daughter looks like Sukeroku and Miyokichi; even an amateur like me could feel the yaoi vibes there.
Oh man, I never even thought about the possibility. I hope you guys are dead wrong, otherwise I don't think I'll be able to handle it. ><
SapewlothJan 7, 2017 5:57 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jan 13, 2017 2:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
last episode and ends the past, and return to the present, with a nice episode, but the best is the las 30 seconds, that Yuta advance a second season!!!

The little redhead is pregnant, and whe unknown the father, and Yota is Shin´nichi!!! All ready for a second season full of emotion!!!

8/10.
Jan 21, 2017 8:28 AM
Jul 2014
Enjoyable series so glad that i decided to watch it, i thought it going to be boring, like what's good from watching an anime about a storyteller, but damn it was worth watching.

The character developments are great, and i'm still wondering who made Konatsu pregnant well i'm guessing Yotaro's boss back when he was a yakuza.

Great plot twist, Yotaro wants to inherit Sukeroku name, that'll be interesting

Overall score 8/10, now onto the 2nd season
Feb 9, 2017 1:54 PM

Jan 2015
Meh this last episode didn't do the trick at all for me. Don't like the direction it's taking, not really psyched about watching the second season, though I probably will when it finishes airing.
Overall a solid show, but I just couldn't get into it. It played too much by the book, I felt like I had seen the same story unfold countless times before. Pretty much the exact same criticism I had to say about 91 days. Yes, rakugo is an nice touch, mostly because it's quite obscure, but the activity in itself didn't strike me as very interesting. I didn't care much for the characters either, most of them were unlikeable and we already knew what would happen to them.

Still a good watch nonetheless, just that I expected more out of it.

HapHazrDFeb 9, 2017 2:04 PM
Feb 15, 2017 6:27 AM

Jun 2014
Pretty good ending, probably my favourite episode from this season.
Overall good historical drama. It's not something flawless for me, because Japan history isn't my cup of tea, but characters and their relationships are pretty good and plot is written and constructed well.
7/10.
Mar 13, 2017 10:56 AM

Dec 2014
it felt good to see the updated characters at the ed when the curtain closes .

wonder if there will be any story behind the unknown father or maybe he just a random person..

All in all this show was beautiful. Thanks to the creators!

Mar 19, 2017 2:31 AM

Nov 2016
This was absolutely fantastic. I cried when Sukeroku appeared at their masters grave T.T

Definitely can see why people consider it the best anime of last year. Truly a great watch and criminally underrated. 9/10 and definitely in my top 10.
Mar 25, 2017 6:45 AM
Apr 2016
It was a masterpiece and outstandingly decent cultural tale. The interconnection between the people, the times, the history and the development of it all, with things coming and going,... I believe it should earn some renown on a national level. Nevertheless, undisputable masterpiece.
Re:formed
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.