Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2011
As a former band geek and trumpet player, they really nailed it with the performance. If only my school was even a quarter as good as them.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Nov 2, 2016 3:24 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
They couldn't have made the results' announcements more obvious if they tried but otherwise a pretty decent performance for once
Nov 2, 2016 3:30 PM
Dec 2014
I need my manliness back! OMG I cried on many animes because of sadness, a few out of happiness but on this one episode...

So 10/10 episode. Perfect built up, perfect execution, perfect result.
Nov 2, 2016 4:17 PM

Apr 2013
animefan8800 said:
Damn, I legitimately wanted them to lose after all that garbage we endured through the first 4 episodes, and that total bitch Asuka's speech only made it worse. Considering we aren't even halfway through yet though I suppose this is to be expected. For now, the show has absolutely lost me, but I'll keep watching and try to find something, anything positive to latch onto.

We all know who scored this episode as a 1, lol.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Nobody's going to miss you here.
Nov 2, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2014
With this kind of 10 minute scene in only episode 5, I'm wondering what can we get after it. It was amazing but unlike other musical animes, those both seasons are based only on one piece of music. I'm looking forward the next episodes !

Reinhard von Lohengramm : "Constellations of stars that I am seeing for the first time... you are all only allowed to exist as objects for my conquest and rule. Just wait. "

Yang Wen-Li : Neither terrorism nor occultism have ever impacted history in any constructive way.

Ernst von Eisenach : Checkmate.
Nov 2, 2016 4:32 PM

Dec 2009
"For that one competition, we practiced without pause: in the morning, after school, during summer break. Crying and sweating until there was nothing left of us, all for a twelve-minute performance. Right now, i doubt there's even one person who's thinking straight." Talk about perfectly wrapping up competition in a nutshell.

Holy crap though, this episode was incredibly precise and detailed, no missing of movements or non-parallel depictions to sound.

jc9622 said:
THE YURI BAIT

IS SO STRONG!!

Keep it up, KyoAni
Yes
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 2, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2016

Please put a spoiler button on this, not all people here have read the novel.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 2, 2016 8:03 PM
Nov 2, 2016 5:15 PM

May 2015
Man, Tatsuya sure knows how to direct, because this episode felt like it was absolutely flawless in every way.

Nov 2, 2016 5:31 PM

Jun 2008
OMFG!!! This was the episode of the year. I was tearing up both listening to that performance and hearing the announcement of them going to nationals. I just don't know how much more of the series I can take. A 5/5 is not good enough. It needs to be at least a 10/5.

Now the real excitement will begin.

As for those who scored it a 3 or less, please leave.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 2, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2014
First performance of the season, and its as beautiful as expected. Glad the band made it through.
Nov 2, 2016 5:41 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, they really did it, they animated 8 minutes of their part, didn't expect that.

The actual episode was just okay, preparation and concert, no big feels, nothing special apart from animation.

But... those two minutes after the ED were just 10/10, feels overdrive.
Nov 2, 2016 6:20 PM

Apr 2014
That moment when you thought the song they played only took 2 minutes of the show. When that happens, you know the show did good...
Nov 2, 2016 6:52 PM

Dec 2015
I literally cried.............
Nov 2, 2016 6:55 PM

Sep 2013
10/5. Was nervous and excited for Kitauji the whole time. They made it to the nationals! Sugoooooi <3

And of course, KyoAni made it more special by adding yuri fuels.. That's right Reina, play for kumiko and kumiko alone. You're on the right track. Kumirei is still the best ship!

The pictures on music sheets was a nice idea. I love it!
Again, 10/5 for this ep. THAT REINAXKUMIKO PIC IN KUMIKO'S MUSIC SHEET.. RIGHT, AN INSPIRATION INDEED.
Erika___Nov 2, 2016 7:26 PM
Nov 2, 2016 7:02 PM

Feb 2009
YEAH, WE'RE GOING TO NATIONALS BITCH !!

I feel emotionally invested in this. I need them to win. I also need Asuka to die.

Nov 2, 2016 7:07 PM

Sep 2013
Black_wind said:
(another thing i loved was Reina and Kumiko trying to outgay Mizore and Nozomi.....and Shuichi looking at them like whyyy)

Both ships got gold for the gayness award but kumiko and reina made it worldwide.
Nov 2, 2016 7:13 PM

Aug 2015
That was a tense moment when they were waiting for the results. So glad they're moving on!
Nov 2, 2016 7:18 PM

Jun 2015
Amazing, I loved the performance. Very beautiful and epic performance and Kitauji made it to Nationals. Great job!

Also really liked the Kumiko and Reina moments we got... my faith is somewhat restored for now, I enjoyed the section with Reina's trumpet solo a lot :) Well, the hardest part is yet to come, excited to see what happens next!
Nov 2, 2016 7:33 PM

Nov 2015
I absolutely loved it!! I was kept on the edge of my seat.
One of the greatest episode this year, animation-wise. It was more of a movie material to me.

I'm Mei
i love bunnies 2 death
and pixels

Nov 2, 2016 7:39 PM
Nov 2013
The performance was AMAZING. The direction, the animation, the music, everything was spot on. I was really scared they were gonna lose too...

Easily the best episode of the season so far. Can't wait to see them SLAY at nationals~
Nov 2, 2016 7:59 PM
Mar 2016
This is the best show ever from KyoAni i've ever seen, although i'm not watch Clannad

This episode make me fall in love with Asuka
Nov 2, 2016 8:12 PM
May 2009
Loved the episode

I noticed that Asuka kept glancing at Kumiko, did she mess up somewhere that I'm not aware of?
Nov 2, 2016 8:29 PM

Nov 2007
I was so happy that I started crying when the announcement was made despite having known the outcome! Every single second of this episode was gold-tier. :')

Also, the best line from the episode:

With this we are going into Volume Three! VOLUME THREE, you hear me! Buckle up minna if you think you have seen the best of Hibike! Euphonium! Kitaouji's greatest hurdle is up next! In more ways than ONE!

H O W L! Trumpet
R O A R! Trombone
S O U N D! Euphonium

Upping my series rating to a 10/10. This anime CANNOT and SHALL NOT go wrong!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 2, 2016 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
Really an amazing episode, was able to keep me on the edge of my seat despite being plain obvious that they would advance to the nationals. I mean, this anime isn't structured in a way that would allow the team to fail and come back stronger next year. The drama is mainly based on 2nd & 3rd years tension, plus one of the main supporting character, Asuka (a 3rd year), still hasn't been explored.
Nov 2, 2016 9:00 PM

Sep 2013
shanimebib said:
Also, the best line from the episode:

We all know that Reina always deliver the best line in every episode.
Nov 2, 2016 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
Reverberate__ said:
Man, Tatsuya sure knows how to direct, because this episode felt like it was absolutely flawless in every way.

This episode's director was Miyoshi Ichirou (real name: Kigami, Yoshiji)
NeromonNov 3, 2016 10:03 AM
Nov 2, 2016 10:16 PM

Nov 2007
The moment they realized their friends poured everything they could offer into that performance. :)

Let's not forget: Team Monaka!

Upped my series rating to a 10/10. This anime CANNOT and SHALL NOT go wrong!
Coronavirus.
Nov 2, 2016 10:20 PM

Oct 2012
jc9622 said:
Holy shit! This was what I always wanted in Hibike Euphonium. A full-on, uncut, band performance with no monologues and just them playing with a bit of visual imageries. Kyoto Animation answered my prayers xD!! No words can explain how beautiful that performance was. The trumpet solo by Reina was fantastic, that oboe performance by Mizore was an angel-sounding performance to my ears and so many more praises that it would take me a whole paragraph to explain how much I loved this piece........To sum it up, That performace was simply beautiful.

ALSO

THE YURI BAIT

IS SO STRONG!!

Keep it up, KyoAni

5/5 This is one of the best Hibike episodes I have seen so far.
Hnnnng ikr, Reina and Kumiko talking about how her playing for Taki Sensei would be stuffy was so cute to watch!

That was such a gripping episode, no dialogue at all during the performance and yet we knew just how nervous and passionate they were from their body language and flashbacks. And oh man the ED baited me so hard until I saw the remaining time left.

A super anxious last couple of minutes but man was it well done, Kitauji moves on to the next piece!
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Nov 2, 2016 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
Terrific episode and a fantastic musical scene!
One of the best of the entire series!
Nov 2, 2016 10:39 PM

Apr 2015
Woah the reaction on and off MAL is going hard

Hyped a bit
Nov 2, 2016 10:47 PM

Nov 2007
Asuka's short speech carried the emotion of every single performer of Kitauji. However, it also revealed a side of her that remained dormant throughout the story until this very moment which obviously even surprised Haruka (her closest friend) and at the same time made Kumiko's admiration of her senpai grow more than ever before.

Hibike! Euphonium is a human story told in a very special way and it is not just some random pieces cut and pasted to make it up. It baffles me how underappreciated this anime actually is.

Coronavirus.
Nov 2, 2016 10:58 PM

Jul 2011
SO. FUCKING. BEAUTIFUL.

HOLY SHIT THE TEARS JUST POPPED OUT WHEN THEY GET FIRST PLACE.

Kyoani gets the emotion and tension just right. That was wonderful. <33
Nov 2, 2016 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
Wow that was unexpectedly perf. That ending had me hyped when Kitauji took gold and was able to get into Nationals. I was all kinds of cheering and shit. You could see in their faces that they were giving it their all so I'm glad they were rewarded for it in the end.

Also, the yuri bait continues this time with Nozomi and Mizore (I mean that much was obvious) and of course Kumiko and Reina. Though, I'm not really sure KyoAni chooses to cocktease that so much because honestly if you listen to the way the interaction goes down and not take the subs at face value, there was obvious sarcasm going on. In addition, when Reina delivered her infamous punchline at the end you see them both laughing it off. I mean, plus Reina is supposedly "in love" with Taki-sensei...not sure how I even feel about that one. Anyways, yeah, just go back and listen to that whole dialogue again and you can hear the subtle sarcasm. It's like KyoAni is literally telling all the Kumiko X Reina shippers that "hey, these girls know you love an idea of them being shipped so we're gonna let them tease you". Though considering how they acted in season 1 is completely opposite but I digress.

Good episode 5/5
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 2, 2016 11:13 PM

Oct 2016
This episode is great .. demmet their performance gave me goosebumps ..
Nov 2, 2016 11:43 PM

Nov 2007
Reina, why you so serious? Why you blush?

One of the most striking moments in the episode, and perhaps in the entire series. It is so obvious that it almost hurts seeing her like that. :(

Kumiko and Reina talking about who would Reina perform for was bitter sweet. Almost too sweet to swallow yet leaves a bitter taste if you realize the person she is after is none other than Sensei.

Coronavirus.
Nov 3, 2016 12:57 AM

Aug 2013
intense, I literally holding my breath for the whole performance
Nov 3, 2016 1:06 AM

Apr 2011
That was nerve wracking! I got nervous for them and on my edge of my seat. That was an awesome full length performance that I never though Kyoani would pull off.

It was brilliant.
Nov 3, 2016 1:53 AM
May 2016
Its was so amazing and beautiful performance, *cheers* thanks KyoAni. They really made it to Nationals. Well looking forward for the next episode.
Nov 3, 2016 2:04 AM
Aug 2015
Cratex said:
Kirie-san said:
Better than the previous episodes but still not really convincing... Nobody realized that most of the scenes during the performance is exactly the same as those in the last episode of the first season ?

(shrug) a) don't assume you're the only one just because nobody else found a reason to remark on it, b) just because some was reused don't mean we can't enjoy it.

I wasn't assuming anything, I'm sure that people remarked it but I was asking because everybody seems to like the episode and I was wondering why since it was nearly the same performance than the one on the first season. Kyo Ani do good visuals so why didn't they do new scenes ?

I didn't say that because of the reuse of the scenes, people can enjoy it. I was expressiing MY point of view. I also said "I don't know if I'm becoming less enthralled by the show but I didn't feel anything during this performance..."

You have the right to enjoy the show, but I was just saying that I don't find it great. For me, visuals don't make everything on an anime. Hibike was very good on its debut, but now it is just an average show for me.
Nov 3, 2016 2:24 AM

Apr 2013
Fantastic episode. Nothing else to say
Nov 3, 2016 2:25 AM

Sep 2014
Kirie-san said:
I wasn't assuming anything, I'm sure that people remarked it but I was asking because everybody seems to like the episode and I was wondering why since it was nearly the same performance than the one on the first season. Kyo Ani do good visuals so why didn't they do new scenes ?

How is it "nearly the same performance"? The length was way longer than in the finale of the first season and only a few shots were reused like during Reina's solo but even those were redrawn for this episode. Musical-wise their performance was clearly better and more confident than last time.
Nov 3, 2016 2:35 AM

Aug 2015
A really intense episode at the end.
As always the animation and music are excellent.
One of my favorite animes for this season.
Nov 3, 2016 4:34 AM

Jul 2015
Ah, Hibike Euphonium.
It's back with its strong eps after last week 'weak' episode.
Half of this eps is filled with the show of Kitauji concert band in competition. The animation, the sound and the interaction before going to play is built really good. And also, we can see that Asuka senpai really want to go to nationals but we still don't know a lot about Asuka-senpai. Kumiko and Reina moment is just pure gold, "I want to play for you, Kumiko" and Kumiko's reaction as always fast as lightning XD. In the end, I'm really happy that Kitauji go to Nationals after their hardwork. Their performance really gives me chill and goosebumps

BTW 5/5 for this eps :)
WhyZigleNov 3, 2016 4:47 AM
Nov 3, 2016 5:14 AM

Jun 2008
Koushuu said:
We all knew they'd win... but it was still wonderful to watch/listen
I don't know how far the LN went time-wise, if it was like, say Ace of Diamond, the writer said that it would be over all three years of Sawamura's high school days so they can write in a loss now and then and keep us guessing. If it's just over Kumiko freshmen year, then I can understand writing them taking gold. Heck, they could take silver at Nationals as far as I know at this time.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 3, 2016 6:00 AM

Nov 2015
WHAT AN EPISODE INDEED!

First of all just a correction, we didn't see full 12 min performance since they skipped Wind of Provance BUT a FULL 7 min of Cresent Moon Dance without any cut and it was PERFECTION.

Here I thought Reina's solo part can't become better, felt a chill from head to toe when she began. Kumiko&Reina, once again cute af, plus now we have another pair to ship. KyoAni why u so good?

I also realized they used same scenes from the last performance but to be fair i don't mind. I just GLAD to watch the WHOLE performance without anything else in between.

Kitauji Fighto!
GurushDec 29, 2016 2:09 PM
Nov 3, 2016 6:00 AM
Aug 2015
Neromon said:
Kirie-san said:

How is it "nearly the same performance"? The length was way longer than in the finale of the first season and only a few shots were reused like during Reina's solo but even those were redrawn for this episode. Musical-wise their performance was clearly better and more confident than last time.

The length was longer here, sure, but not only Reina's shots were reused. The girl who plays percussion/drum, Shuuichi, Asuka and Kumiko, Riko and Goto, Taki sensei... Maybe the character felt more confident than in season 1 but musically and visualy it was the same for me. =/
Nov 3, 2016 6:16 AM

Oct 2011
My ears are pleased. This episode was gorgeous and can't be better.

5/5.
Nov 3, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2007
How far has actually Yuuko come as a character? She epitomizes the character development we are allowed to enjoy in a well written story.

The symbolism of pointing the finger up (as if pointing North) in this anime always makes me smile. It represents not only their aim for the top but also the name of their school (Kitauji — North High).

Coronavirus.
Nov 3, 2016 6:58 AM

Sep 2013

If you’re gay then raise your hand.
Nov 3, 2016 8:01 AM

Feb 2010
Hibike Euphonium will save Fall 2016

now the anime has more time to dissect Asuka's cynical behaviour
CashdaxNov 3, 2016 8:10 AM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2016

145 by Remsimp333 »»
Today, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

114 by narwhaal »»
Aug 3, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

288 by qxoa »»
Jul 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

119 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Jun 6, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2016

127 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.