Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2016 3:01 PM

Jun 2014
Very strong start, but is to be expected with this anime.
Oct 5, 2016 3:04 PM

Jun 2012
Kyoani continues to save anime.
Oct 5, 2016 3:05 PM

Jun 2008
scruffykiwi said:
sbyrstall said:
Nobody's translated the manga so you're guess is as good as mine.

It's based off a set of novels and

There was a 3 volume set of mangas that was spun off of the novels.
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=117668
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 5, 2016 3:14 PM
Sep 2015
First episode and the yuri bait is already that much.. how can my heart go through all these episodes!! <3
Oct 5, 2016 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
As always my complaints of the first season still remained to be the same (one of them being the fact that Kyoto keeps cock teasing and this is not what I want on a show that it's focused on music). But this time at least they focused on the characters that I truly enjoyed. The relationship between Reina and Kumiko after the second season was pretty nice though (the interactions, not the cock teasing). I do wish the staff can stop doing that because I didn't liked the first season at all because this is one of the main reasons, but eh. I mean Phantom World did the same somehow with the ecchi so why am I complaining?

It was a good episode but I do hope they can step up their game, because this and Koe no Katachi are probably my only chances to somehow like the director (and the studio itself, then again I didn't really enjoyed the recent KyoAni stuff after Amagi)
Oct 5, 2016 3:31 PM

Nov 2007
when people say it's good if Kumiko and Shuichi end up together i am always bewildered, because why??they have totally zero chemistry and just in general zero everything. Because they are the "right" dude and a girl pairing?smh

anyway,official kyoani relationship chart says this
http://anime-eupho.us/character/chart/

Oh,and i am glad Eupho is back. Beautiful first episode.
Oct 5, 2016 3:42 PM
May 2016
I dislike the voice change Kumiko has compared to season 1, she sounds off. Last 10 minutes were somewhat better but I'm really not impressed by the voice actress in this first episode, she sounds very disconnected.

Visuals were stunning tho, and all other characters sounded fine too.
Oct 5, 2016 3:49 PM

Dec 2012
Recently finished the 1st season about a month ago & what a great show.
Wonderful first episode & extra long YAY!!! Nice to see everyone again. OP & ED song are great
I am loving the background art & those eye shots are stunning.

Nice group photo & a performance from Team Monaka was nice to hear.

Nozomi determined to join the club again. Really wants approval from Asuka.
LOL Hashimoto Sensei is energetic.

HAHA 3 second rule.

Kumiko & Reina look beautiful in their yukata. Lovely fireworks at the end.
Handholding. The Yuri bait continues.

Looking forward to more.
KITAUJI FIGHT!!!
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 5, 2016 4:03 PM

Apr 2013
Kumiko x Reina + some people playing music is back.

Fantastic first episode. Did not know it was a longer episode so i was pleasently surprised.

Some interesting new characters
Oct 5, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
Excellent! I have the impression of watching a movie.
I have to make screenshots.

The friendship between Kumiko and Reina is touching. ^o^
Oct 5, 2016 4:14 PM

Aug 2015
Forget the yuri-bait, this show has high-quality sinks! Amazing!
Oct 5, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2015
Only anime that I've planned to watch this fall. Hope it'll be great <3

Nice first episode.
Oct 5, 2016 4:20 PM

Apr 2015
The fireworks scene was so cute! Second season was definitely worth the wait. <3
Oct 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Aug 2012
This episode felt so weird. Don't know if its just me but the way they talk n stuff just makes me so cringey

Was kinda looking forward to this but I think it'll get dropped. Only Iron-blooded Orphans hasn't disappointed yet
Oct 5, 2016 4:45 PM

Feb 2008
Pleasantly surprised by the double length first episode. Totally gay.
Oct 5, 2016 4:58 PM
Jul 2018
Decoysknight said:
This episode felt so weird. Don't know if its just me but the way they talk n stuff just makes me so cringey

Was kinda looking forward to this but I think it'll get dropped. Only Iron-blooded Orphans hasn't disappointed yet

Well its moreso like for me I didn't found much of an issue with the talking but I do see where you're coming from.
Oct 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Feb 2014
Dont care what anyone says this show is yuri and Kumiko x Reina forever
Around and around the cycle goes.
Oct 5, 2016 5:01 PM

Aug 2015
Decoysknight said:

I think it's just you :)
Try to see it when you'll be in good shape.
Oct 5, 2016 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Farabeuf said:
This series looks as pretty as ever. It will surely be a success. I just hope shippers get it through their heads that this series will very probably not have a romantic resolution of any sort. It's all about the music tournaments, friendship and "making memories" for the future.

Yeah, as always the yuri shippers get screwed over lol

19Pyro90 said:

No it isn't, sorry
Oct 5, 2016 5:11 PM

Apr 2016
Black_wind said:
... Kumiko and Shuichi ... they have totally zero chemistry and just in general zero everything.

well zero chemistry is not fair. It looks like there is at least a one-sided thing going on from shuichi side and as for Kumiko, it was in the beginning of season 1 not zero but even in the negative because he humiliated her/rejected their friendship (which was apparently realtively strong for Kumiko) when they were kids. At the end of season 1 she wasn't completely cold anymore toward him but she sure is not in love, so far. In that respect, I loved how she did NOT react/care/realise when Reina tried to tease her about him. That was on point and really well done.

About the episode, love the slow pace, love the relationships, the details, the smiles, the sad looks, the talks, (Kumiko's voice acting is great!) the things that aren't said, ... that's how a good slice of life should look like.
I wish for the 2 sisters to come to talk seriously with one another and I'm amazed that we saw for the first time ever Asuka giving her opinion and taking responsability for it. She is such a coward most of the time, that's pretty impressive for someone who seems to be admired by all the other characters. That's the first big change/break with the first season. I wonder if they will explain at one point her attitude, well if there's anything to explain. We'll see.
Ysad_ZiwezhanOct 5, 2016 5:16 PM
Oct 5, 2016 5:26 PM

Apr 2014
Great episode! Some good drama to start the show off with and still the amazing visuals!
Oct 5, 2016 5:30 PM

Sep 2009
nikolai131 said:
1 episode and already my favourite anime this season ^^ KyoAni is powah~

PS: for everyone who still believes this is yuri please go read the novels, thank you :)

KyoAny do not care about the novels. Not this time, not in case of any other their LN adaptations. And here it is a good thing. Deal with it.
Oct 5, 2016 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
I think I might be able to enjoy this show this time around as per the first season. I felt a connection with all of the characters in just this one episode than when I watched the first season. I mean, the whole "yuri bait" kinda throws off the dynamic for me but I've gotten to the point where I'm just gonna ignore it but at least now the development will show.

Complete sidebar, what happened with the second-years in season 1 again? I can't remember why half of them quit. I want to say it was because of something Taki-sensei did or said.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 5, 2016 6:07 PM

Jan 2011
Finally one of the shows i been waiting for is out and a bonus hour long!

great start had already put the yuri dream aside but why they gotta tease us so much within the first episode stop playin with ma heart kyoAni
Oct 5, 2016 6:10 PM

Jan 2012
47 minutes! Well that was...ok? So what did Nozomi do that deserves being shunned so harshly? Quitting? Really? Wow, so forgiveness and second chances don't exist in this universe? Even just to join the club? I need a better reason than that show. Right now Reina and Asuka come across as huge bitches, at best, and it's dragging down the entire visual experience.
Oct 5, 2016 6:11 PM
Nov 2013
TonyVonHabsburg said:
I dislike the voice change Kumiko has compared to season 1, she sounds off. Last 10 minutes were somewhat better but I'm really not impressed by the voice actress in this first episode, she sounds very disconnected.

Visuals were stunning tho, and all other characters sounded fine too.

Definitely agree, there was quite a noticeable change in Kumiko's voice compared to any of her scenes in first season, sounded much rougher for some reason, hopefully will change throughout. Everything else was quality though.
Oct 5, 2016 6:18 PM
Sep 2011
Really the atmosphere is suffocating , need to brace for impact
Oct 5, 2016 6:19 PM
Aug 2016
You're 10 minutes late <3

Anyway so how many episodes this season?
Oct 5, 2016 6:58 PM

Jun 2008
Zantius said:
Complete sidebar, what happened with the second-years in season 1 again? I can't remember why half of them quit. I want to say it was because of something Taki-sensei did or said.
We don't know. All we know from the first season and this episode the half of the second years quit the band. The full story isn't out yet. Only those who read the novels would know...and I bet they won't say anything.

We'll all find out together, won't we. :D
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 5, 2016 7:22 PM

Nov 2009
nikolai131 said:
PS: for everyone who still believes this is yuri please go read the novels, thank you :)

You know KyoAni has a tendency to make up the source right?
The yuri part of Hibike is a strong selling point so it's hard just to go with the original source. At this point I'm not even surprised if they decided to completely cut off Shuuichi's relationship with Kumiko. His role is already diminished a lot in the anime.

And anime =/= LN. KyoAni can do whatever they want, deal with it.
Oct 5, 2016 7:27 PM

Feb 2014
I was a fan of the first season but that was an extremely slow paced episode. Little bit of yawn fest to be honest. Lets hope things speed up next episode.
Oct 5, 2016 7:29 PM

Jul 2013
animefan8800 said:
47 minutes! Well that was...ok? So what did Nozomi do that deserves being shunned so harshly? Quitting? Really? Wow, so forgiveness and second chances don't exist in this universe? Even just to join the club? I need a better reason than that show. Right now Reina and Asuka come across as huge bitches, at best, and it's dragging down the entire visual experience.

To be fair we don't really know what actually happened in the past. For it to create such trauma, I doubt it's something as simple as quitting. There's also the timing issue. Asking to join back after they won the local competition is just asking for suspicions of glory hunting. As for Reina, I think she just wants the team to be filled with people who are focused and strong mentally in order to really get to the national competition. Adding a potentially disruptive member could destroy the little harmony they've already built as a team, not to mention unnecessary drama.
Oct 5, 2016 7:53 PM

Jan 2012
MoeGod said:
animefan8800 said:

To be fair we don't really know what actually happened in the past. For it to create such trauma, I doubt it's something as simple as quitting. There's also the timing issue. Asking to join back after they won the local competition is just asking for suspicions of glory hunting. As for Reina, I think she just wants the team to be filled with people who are focused and strong mentally in order to really get to the national competition. Adding a potentially disruptive member could destroy the little harmony they've already built as a team, not to mention unnecessary drama.

Your right about needing more details. And the show definitely wants us to keep the glory hunting thing in mind as a possibility, though Nozomi's apparent sincerity and outright oath to not try and play competitively make me think it's a red herring, the glory hunting thing. I believe her, for now at least, and this outright rejection is too cold and narrow-minded for my liking. Reina fits that description perfectly too right now. At what point does it become acceptable for winning to override humanity?
Oct 5, 2016 7:54 PM

Apr 2013
I had to stop mid episode because the congratulations song is the same one from Hard Gay, lmfao

https://youtu.be/D6m591NzQWY?t=305

When they were playing it I was in my head like "gay gay gay gay gay where the fuck have I heard this before?"
Oct 5, 2016 9:05 PM

Aug 2013
Did not disappoint, love the teasing
One anime this season that I can look forward to each week
Oct 5, 2016 9:06 PM

Dec 2009
_Hans_ said:
When you see it....

What? When? Where? That must be a photoshop (damn good one too)...

Frostbyte98 said:
Aaand the classic kyoani bait continues.

And someone needs to update this http://m.imgur.com/0fRxM4l?r

I seriously hope it goes full yuri romance. I've been dying for a really sweet and beautiful yuri; getting tired of all these derp shows and flat attempts. This show has the potential to nail a yuri plot with astounding perfection. Please don't let it end as teasers! Otherwise, it's being gentle and beautiful as i'd hoped it would continue to be.

That fireworks scene made my heart skip a beat too~

Ps: lots of nice boke and slow motion
GenesisAriaOct 5, 2016 9:21 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 5, 2016 9:13 PM

Feb 2008
I'm amazed how good quality is in this series looks so much better previous season, well it could be just me here.
They introduce some of senpais and they all went in Minami middle school, seem like I already have hear that song somewhere before.
Reina and Kumiko is so much closer in friends, hehe nice to see Kumiko teasing Reina , how Reina look like a beauty in Yukata.
Reina changes a bit and not only stick with Kumiko.

That scene with fireworks were quite nice too and they wear looking each other and holding hands.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 5, 2016 9:19 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, especially the ending scenes. Amazing backgrounds with the bokeh effect everywhere.
Oct 5, 2016 9:27 PM

Jul 2011
lol well I know to stay away from S2 forums too now.

Great start, fell in love with the atmosphere, characters and interactions all over again. <3
Oct 5, 2016 9:45 PM

Feb 2014
HikariJake said:
Farabeuf said:
This series looks as pretty as ever. It will surely be a success. I just hope shippers get it through their heads that this series will very probably not have a romantic resolution of any sort. It's all about the music tournaments, friendship and "making memories" for the future.

19Pyro90 said:

No it isn't, sorry

i guess you missed the part where i said. I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. This show is yuri. The only thing left that could make it any more obvious is if they kissed
Around and around the cycle goes.
Oct 5, 2016 9:56 PM

Dec 2009
19Pyro90 said:
HikariJake said:

No it isn't, sorry

i guess you missed the part where i said. I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. This show is yuri. The only thing left that could make it any more obvious is if they kissed
That fireworks scene is definitely yuri, the only question is if they actually progress together or diverge in the future. They've even been basically bolding and underlining the part where Kumiko is indifferent around guys..

It's not even a fanservice or shipper thing, they've been poking at it for ages in the series, and it would make an excellent plot & character development. I care not if people are homophobic.
GenesisAriaOct 5, 2016 10:03 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 5, 2016 10:31 PM

Apr 2016
Am just 5 mins into the episode buuuuuut... did the skirts get longer?
Oct 5, 2016 10:38 PM

Oct 2015
wow so much Lesbos in here lel.

Oct 5, 2016 10:47 PM

May 2014
BANG! AND WE'RE OFF, FULL STEAM AHEAD WITH PILES OF FORCED DRAMA!

Nah, this episode was pretty tame in comparison to what it will no doubt reach. Time for another season of "not-yuri", teacher/daddy issues, and one-sided crushes.

Red-eyed oboe-chan is pretty. I played oboe for a little bit in high school. It's challenging, hurts your lips, and the reeds break especially easily and often at that. Temp-sensei is definitely a nice addition to the cast, looking forward to him really breaking up the drama and bringing in a breath of fresh air.

Wasn't expecting a double-length first episode. Honestly I'm mostly here for all the memes that will no doubt sprout in abundance from this show like it did last season.
Oct 5, 2016 10:56 PM

Jun 2013
Beautiful way to start off the second season, id forgotten how much i enjoyed the first season, and if this episode is anything to go off of, this season will be even better!
Oct 5, 2016 11:21 PM

Dec 2008
I have to say I really enjoyed the 1 hour long first EP and the level was pretty good, I hope they can keep it that way till the end... But I fear we will fall into some major drama between kumiko and reina, some how that's how I feel, not that its a bad thing depending on how it goes...
Oct 5, 2016 11:35 PM

Dec 2013
It's back! It's back! My cute widdle Sapphire-chan is back!

As with last season, the art and animation are breathtaking as always, and most of the character interactions are realistic. Loved the fireworks display as well as the panoramic shots of the river and the city.

Reina interacting with the other two girls and her copying of the "3 second rule" joke was actually some nice development for her. I do have an issue with how Yuuko is treating Reina though, after all that they'd been through you would think they wouldn't skip the awkward stage and go straight to the "we're already over our big ass conflict" stage. That flew by just way too fast.

The newly introduced Mizore and Nozomi seems interesting characters, and I expect their relationship will be explored as they unveil the incident with the second years of the previous year. Just hope that this portion won't take up the entire season.

The new instructor Hashimoto is a fun character, and if the chara page doesn't lie, we're gonna be having a female guest instructor (and drama for Reina) soon as well.

Then of course, the drama was kinda meh. Kumiko seems to have some issues with her sister, and I guess they'll be explored soon enough, though I probably would want to know more about her deal with her sempai in middle school first. Also looking forward to the lifting of Asuka's veil. She seems to still be hiding a lot of secrets and motivations.

One bad thing about the episode.... not enough Sapphire-chan! Couldn't care less about ships, just give me more of my Sapphire-chan!

Oh, one more point to ask novel readers: Where in the timeline did Kumiko in winter uniform (in the prologue before the OP) fit into the story?

The OP and ED were good, but by no means on par with the first season. The one memorable scene in the ED was when the four girls were running across the screen (Midori looked like she was toting a bokken instead of a bow.. it was so damn cute!), and then they skipped to a shot of Kumiko's skirt and thighs....
The mid-episode tracks were great actually, recognized the celebratory song from the old Waterboys movie and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last season I started binge watching after half the season was done, already I'm looking forward to next week.
L-RyoshiOct 5, 2016 11:39 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 5, 2016 11:40 PM

Nov 2013
I'll never understand the freaking Yuri obsession, it's completely unfounded, Reina doesn't even see Kumiko as anything but a friend or a sister, she likes Taki, the end, those who say otherwise are in denial and should read the novels, KyoAni goes full retard sometimes.
Oct 5, 2016 11:52 PM

Oct 2012
Yuri bait is so strong already.
Oct 5, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2007
I love Kumiko and Reina's interactions so much. The reason I love Hibike! Euphonium so much is because the interactions of the characters are so ordinary yet at the same time they never seem mundane at all. This anime allows the viewers to experience something unlike many other shows out there. Each character plays a role to give a different flavour to spice up the viewers' expectations from the story. It's really enchanting for a SoL.

The episode was great with the introduction of new characters, a peek to their backstories and how some characters changed over time while others remained the same. But in all honesty, I was hoping that KyoAni leaves the subtle hints aside from the get go while making the sequel. For instance, the following conversation between Reina and Kumiko:

Reina: Watashi ikuji no nai otoko wa dame da tte omou.
Kumiko: Hmm? Maa, sou da ne.
Reina: Tekitou...

which of course followed the moment Kumiko was momentarily left alone by Reina, only for her to look around and the person to show up conveniently right there and then just had to be Shuuichi. Everyone knows what it means in nine out of ten times for a girl in yukata to meet a boy during a festival in Japanese literature—be it classic literature, modern novel, play-write, light-novel or manga. Coincidentally, the festival was celebrating Genji Monogatari.

But really I want to turn blind eye to it for now and enjoy the anime as much as I can the way it is!

This would have been the best premier episode of the Fall 2016 season if it wasn't for Natsume Yuujinchou Go. Fall season is gonna be an amazing ride for me since two of my favourite anime are having sequels. And both had great starts!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.