Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 2:24 PM

Sep 2009
I( don't get everyone's problem with pacing. I found it just as it should be. New scenes with Kagari added some confusion probably but I bet ReWrite+ will have them. Also, they needed to add some more action and mystery in first part to intrigue anime-only viewers.
Jul 2, 2016 2:25 PM
Apr 2012
Yep gonna be a disaster. Dropped. Even animation quality was pure shit... Idk why key keeps doing this, is it that hard to find a studio and will actually care about their work and put in some effort and budget?
flackJul 2, 2016 2:29 PM
Jul 2, 2016 2:25 PM

Jul 2012
The LB adaptation was fine, as we got 39 episodes and most of the core story was kept. There were a few high impact scenes in the VN that got skipped that I'm still upset about but I'm on positive terms with the adaptation simply because Refrain conveyed the emotions felt during the Refrain route in the VN correctly.

Rewrite however, is not looking so good. If we're only getting standard episode lengths and this anime original routing continues pulling scenes from the other heroine's routes, things are not going to end well. I'll probably still enjoy it because its Rewrite and its animated and I love Rewrite's story, but anime only viewers are going to get gimped out of the amazing experience.
jaxter0987Jul 2, 2016 2:30 PM
Jul 2, 2016 2:30 PM

Aug 2010
I was planning on watching the episode, but seeing the reactions here has really put me off from doing that.

So, from your first impressionss, and this is directed at the VN readers, should i start the anime and be able to enjoy it in an "Ignorance is bliss" kind of way before going for the VN, or will it ruin my experience if i did?

From what i hear about the VN, people really put it in high regard, so i'm afraid my first impressions will negatively affect how i view it later on.
Jul 2, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2012
That was decent. I just wished half the characters weren't so annoying, especially Kotaru; he's fucking stupid. A lot of things don't make sense right now but it's only ep 1 so I'll let it slide for now.
Jul 2, 2016 2:34 PM

Feb 2015
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the VN, I LOVED IT. Now to read the nitpicking reasons why it only has 47% 5/5...

...Guessing it isn't going to be following the main routes so a lot of people ore pissed at that, but we'll see...
Jul 2, 2016 2:36 PM

Jul 2012
astroprogs said:
I was planning on watching the episode, but seeing the reactions here has really put me off from doing that.

So, from your first impressionss, and this is directed at the VN readers, should i start the anime and be able to enjoy it in an "Ignorance is bliss" kind of way before going for the VN, or will it ruin my experience if i did?
Little Busters was able to pull off an "Ignorance is bliss" but with Rewrite, that doesn't seem likely. A big BIG part of Rewrite is differing philosophies. I highly doubt the anime will be able to convey that to the fullest extent. I mean its too early to make the call of whether or not you can just go in blind and enjoy this 6th route with a mix of the other 5, but I'm ALWAYS in favor of viewers reading the VN first before watching the Anime.

Clannad is the only VN where the Anime > VN. Unless you go through the VN with a walkthrough, you're going to get bad ended so many times. There's so many seemingly arbitrary choices that even when I was ACTIVELY trying to aim for a specific heroine's route, I failed.
astroprogs said:
From what i hear about the VN, people really put it in high regard, so i'm afraid my first impressions will negatively affect how i view it later on.
High regard doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards Rewrite. Listen to this:
DON'T READ THE COMMENTS THOUGH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8gV_a1B9U
When you first hear this piece in the VN... ugh its just so powerful.
jaxter0987Jul 2, 2016 2:39 PM
Jul 2, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
astroprogs said:

Whichever you'd like actually. The people who are complaining are just extremely nitpicky; people haven't gotten over 8bit yet. The writers have stated in interviews past that the anime will cater to both audiences. It's too early to say that it won't from one episode.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 2:45 PM

Nov 2015
I only read Kotori and Chihaya route, and like 50% of Shizuru's route since im busy with fansubbing. It doesnt look as good as the visual novel, but its not bad either.
I liked the humor. I couldn't stop laughing. The animation doesnt look that bad either, I've seen worse. Let's just wait until episode ~6 before we skip to conclusion that this show is bad, and stop complaining about every little thing.

Also, im curious how they animated the OP and ED :D
Jul 2, 2016 2:46 PM
Sep 2012
astroprogs said:

I'd suggest VN first. Even after, I'm actually able to enjoy watching. But if you'd rather wait till the anime finishes its cour before the vn, and it's filled with all the VN's core but squeezed compact, it'll ruin your VN experience.
Well, unless the anime is going full kagari route without further into the 5 heroines
"Don't ever fight againts idiots. They'll drag you down to the same level and beat you with experience." -Random Forum Member #1 !

"Feeling hurt and pain from someone else ? Good. Staying upset and never move on? Dont. Imagine them as sandpapers. They could hurt. Sometimes alot . But in the end, you end up polished and they end up useless" -Random Forum Member #2 !

Why the heck are you even reading this when you got a LIST of anime runnin. You're welcome :D
Jul 2, 2016 2:51 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't understand. I didn't understand anything.
This anime is very weird. I've never played the VN, so I don't know anything about the story.
I didn't like the blood part, it looked like an evil contract to me. Just saying my opinion.
Jul 2, 2016 2:51 PM

Mar 2014
Stopped watching at the 15 minute mark. Didn't seem very interesting to me.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 2, 2016 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
astroprogs said:

If your thinking about reading the VN definitely do it before watching the anime as it is only 13 episodes and is most likely going to butcher the story.

If you read the visual novel and enjoy it you can then come back and watch the anime for what it is.
Jul 2, 2016 3:08 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Samu-tan said:
I do wonder if anime only viewers would have a hard time keeping up with the episode though. Because so many characters got introduced and so much stuff happened, wow. It must be confusing.

(I always find this kind of comment interesting). Answer: "No, I didn't find it confusing."

My main reaction? He's a bit of a coward.
Jul 2, 2016 3:10 PM

Aug 2010
jaxter0987 said:
astroprogs said:

Little Busters was able to pull off an "Ignorance is bliss" but with Rewrite, that doesn't seem likely. A big BIG part of Rewrite is differing philosophies. I highly doubt the anime will be able to convey that to the fullest extent. I mean its too early to make the call of whether or not you can just go in blind and enjoy this 6th route with a mix of the other 5, but I'm ALWAYS in favor of viewers reading the VN first before watching the Anime.

Clannad is the only VN where the Anime > VN. Unless you go through the VN with a walkthrough, you're going to get bad ended so many times. There's so many seemingly arbitrary choices that even when I was ACTIVELY trying to aim for a specific heroine's route, I failed.
astroprogs said:
High regard doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards Rewrite. Listen to this:
DON'T READ THE COMMENTS THOUGH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8gV_a1B9U
When you first hear this piece in the VN... ugh its just so powerful.

Hmmm, i see. Alright, thanks for the help.

With my experience of the VNs of Fate/ and Grisaia, i definitely see what you're talking about. Most adaptations in Japan seem to be made with the VN readers in mind with VERY few excptions, indeed.

Ok, i'll go for the VN first before marathoning the adaptation later on.

That track gave me some feels and i don't even know the context o.o

sanata50lbsb said:
astroprogs said:

Whichever you'd like actually. The people who are complaining are just extremely nitpicky; people haven't gotten over 8bit yet. The writers have stated in interviews past that the anime will cater to both audiences. It's too early to say that it won't from one episode.

Fair enough. I realize that it's too early to judge the whole series yet, but i thought i had to ask anyway :p

TBH i don't trust when a staff claims things like "the anime will cater to both audiences", as that seems impossible when handling an extremely long VN, especially when they do it all in a single cour. Things are just guaranteed to fall through the cracks and they end up satisfying neither audiences. But who knows, they may prove me wrong after all.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Valierre said:
astroprogs said:

I'd suggest VN first. Even after, I'm actually able to enjoy watching. But if you'd rather wait till the anime finishes its cour before the vn, and it's filled with all the VN's core but squeezed compact, it'll ruin your VN experience.
Well, unless the anime is going full kagari route without further into the 5 heroines

Midou89 said:
astroprogs said:

If your thinking about reading the VN definitely do it before watching the anime as it is only 13 episodes and is most likely going to butcher the story.

If you read the visual novel and enjoy it you can then come back and watch the anime for what it is.

Hmmm. Yeah, going for the VN first does seem like it'd be the better choice for a compact adaptation like this. Alright then. Thanks for the reply, both of you :D
astroprogsJul 2, 2016 3:14 PM
Jul 2, 2016 3:25 PM

Oct 2010
As a VN reader I really enjoyed this episode. Granted I'm probably really biased since Rewite is one of my favorite VN's. The animation didn't bother me and while the second half was all over the place; I really liked the fight between

I do see the problem with pacing especially for anime only viewers. They really overloaded almost all the characters in one go. Hopefully they at least flesh them out a bit better as the series goes on.

I understand why they weren't able to put more jokes from the common route but I do hope they have the chance to squeeze this one in somehow
Jul 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Sep 2015
Coming into this show I had absolutely no idea what to expect. From how things were going in the first 35 minutes the episode had a lot of Grisaia no Kajitsu vibes for me, the beginning and the ending however were of a completely different tone.

The first piece of music that was played near the beginning when Kotarou was running around outside was very beautiful. Once again it reminded me of Grisaia's OST but with a little hint of Madoka Magica Rebellion. The couple of more happy pieces during the school scene were also soothing. Usually tracks like that are meant to carry you throughout the dialogue but those two pieces really stuck out to me.

With how the story introduced each character it made it feel like this was going to be a harem show where the MC saves all the girls from their personal demons, I have no idea if that's where this show is going but that was the feeling I was getting, much like the Monogatari Series and Grisaia, once again. The ending completely threw that train of thought out the window and now I am really curious how the story will pan out.

I really liked the humor in this episode too. Quick and quirky. The scene with the glasses classmate was pretty funny, I love humor that flows like that where the characters just play off each other. So one of the fairies resembled a sunflower and Kotori wears sunflower hairclips, coincidence? Chi-chan wears wings hairclips too. It will be interesting to see each of the girl's role in the story. The synopsis makes Kotarou out to be a superhuman and I just found it quite ironic that he is hilariously weak; couldn't carry a big box, fainting at the sight of a little girl in his bed, and fainting at the sight of a bite mark on his arm.

Onto a more serious topic, all the girls are so cute that I can't decide which one to pick. The regular lolicon in me wants to pick Kotori, the ultimate lolicon in me wants to pick Shizuru while the creepy lolicon in me wants to pick Kagari. If only I could have them all, life would be bliss.

This was a pretty successful first episode. It did what any good premiere should, introduce the characters and establish relationships without boring the viewer with immense dialogue, give a little preview of what's to come, and most importantly, keep my attention for the full duration of the episode.

Did not have any expectations coming into this show, hardly knew anything about it, but I am very glad to leave with a great impression and am hopeful the show continues to satisfy over the next few months.
HecticLeoJul 4, 2016 12:08 PM
Jul 2, 2016 3:34 PM

Sep 2011
As a VN reader... not too sure if I like the whole idea if Chihaya's route mixed in out of nowhere when barely anything has happened yet, with original content mixed together with it. But we will see where it goes from here.
Jul 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Apr 2016
Can't say it was stellar, but a good first impression. It still has plenty or room for error, so there is room to be skeptical.
Jul 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Aug 2015
That was better than I expected. It was a bit fast paced and the art style which we already saw in the previews before wasn't very good but this episode was entertaining.
Jul 2, 2016 3:36 PM
Jul 2016
For such a long episode they sure explained nothing at all. Thought it was garbage.
Jul 2, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2014
That was pretty fun, a lot of wtf moments near the end though. I like the MC, and the girls are pretty cute.
Jul 2, 2016 3:39 PM

Jul 2013
HecticLeo said:
Coming into this show I had absolutely no idea what to expect. From how things were going in the first 35 minutes the episode had a lot of Grisaia no Kajitsu vibes for me, the beginning and the ending however were of a completely different tone.

The first piece of music that was played near the beginning when Kotarou was running around outside was very beautiful. Once again it reminded me of Grisaia's OST but with a little hint of Madoka Magica Rebellion. The couple of more happy pieces during the school scene was also soothing. Usually tracks like that are meant to carry you throughout the dialogue but those two pieces really stuck out to me.

With how the story introduced each character made it feel like this is going to be a harem show where the MC saves all the girls from their own personal demons, I have no idea if that's where this show is going but that was the feeling I was getting, much like the Monogatari Series and Grisaia once again. The ending though completely threw that train of thought out the window and now I am really curious how the story will pan out.

I really liked the humor in this episode too. Quick and quirky. The scene with the glasses classmate was pretty funny, I love humor that flows like that where the characters just play off each other. So one of the fairies resembled a sunflower and Kotori wears sunflower hairclips, coincidence? Chi-chan wears wing hairclips too. It will be interesting to see each of the girl's role in the story. The synopsis makes Kotarou out to be a superhuman and I just found it quite ironic that he is hilarious weak; couldn't carry a big box, fainting at the sight of a little girl in his bed, and fainting at the sight of a bite mark on his arm.

Onto a more serious topic, all the girls are so cute that I can't decide which one to pick. The regular lolicon in me wants to pick Kotori, the ultimate lolicon in me wants to pick Shizuru while the creepy lolicon in me wants to pick Kagari. If only I could have them all, life would be bliss.

This was a pretty successful first episode. It did what any good premiere should, introduce the characters and establish relationships without boring the viewer with immense dialogue, give a little preview of what's to come, and most importantly, keep my attention for the full duration of the episode.

Did not have any expectations coming into this show, hardly knew anything about it, but I am very glad to leave with a great impression and am hopeful the show continues to satisfy over the next few months.

See, this kind of stuff is what I like to see
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 3:43 PM

Oct 2012
As it has been beaten to death in this thread, i'd imagine, If you're an anime only viewer and you have even the slightest interest in this series, I wont tell you to stop watching this, but i'd highly suggest picking up and reading the VN in its entirety before continuing on with this adaption.

From the perspective of someone who has read the VN, The pacing is atrocious, but thats to be expected from a show that is based off ~80 hours/100k lines of text worth of VN and being crammed into a single cour (Possibly in its' entirety). Other than the pacing, and the CGI, It was honestly a little better than i was expecting (Which wasn't much, to be honest). I mean, for those of us that have read the VN, the anime is basically just fanservice. I honestly don't care if they adapt it perfectly, I just want to see it handled in a reasonable manner. So far, its a pretty mixed bag.
Jul 2, 2016 3:44 PM

Nov 2014
17:37 was all I could get through with this and I kept pausing it wondering how many hours had gone by lol. Guess some anime supernatural aside is just not targeted at me.
Jul 2, 2016 3:46 PM

Sep 2015
sanata50lbsb said:

See, this kind of stuff is what I like to see

*sigh* Having read through that all again I noticed a lot of typos lol.

I try to write up a quick summary like that for all first and last episodes I watch to hopefully give other users a little bit of insight into my opinions and open up for discussion without making it into a review.
Jul 2, 2016 3:47 PM

Aug 2012
Cratex said:

Out of curiosity what made you think that? I thought he was presented about right, which is to come off as frivolous and a bit disingenuous but with good intentions.
Jul 2, 2016 3:55 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
AlexTheRiot said:
I thought he was presented about right, which is to come off as frivolous and a bit disingenuous but with good intentions.
Yep. I agree with that. I had no problem with that.

AlexTheRiot said:
Cratex said:

Out of curiosity what made you think that?
(shrug) A girl nibbled on his arm and he freaked and ran? He went looking for a witch and when he found one he freaked and ran?

Though, I FULLY agreed when he decided to run from the giant octopus. I would have too.
Jul 2, 2016 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Well related to the topic.

Am I the only person that found Kotarou's faces rather cute in the entirety of the episode? Like holy man most of my screenshots are him.
Jul 2, 2016 4:02 PM

Oct 2014
wow the first episode was amazing! im a fan of key works - clannad is among my top favorite anime series, so i was excited when i heard this was from the same creator!

the art is beautiful, it's so vibrant and lovely, and the character designs are amazing - kotori, shizuru, and kagari are so cute (kotori's design reminds me of fuko ibuki)

honestly for me, the summer simulcast has had some of the best anime that appeal to me (love live and rewrite have been amazing, and im sure orange will be too), and i can't wait until next saturday ^_^
Jul 2, 2016 4:04 PM
Oct 2007
I guess you must have to like the visual novel, i couldn't make it through half of the first episode.
Jul 2, 2016 4:09 PM

Aug 2012
Cratex said:

AlexTheRiot said:
Out of curiosity what made you think that?
(shrug) A girl nibbled on his arm and he freaked and ran? He went looking for a witch and when he found one he freaked and ran?

Okay yeah I totally get that with the way he wigged out. Though you gotta think about it, he's seen this ghost kill him in a dream, and now it's haunting him..and appearing under his covers outta nowhere lol, I'd freak too. And he didn't run at the end when he met the witch? And as far as that goes, he doesn't necessarily considers the person he's looking for to be an actual witch, it's more hopeful ignorance.
Jul 2, 2016 4:12 PM

Oct 2012
Finally back to key discussion... I have mixed feeling with this first episode. So many things have changed. One of them is Nishikujou is being kotarou's classroom teacher. But personally with this kind of introduction, i think anime only viewer will understand the story easier.

Jul 2, 2016 4:26 PM

Aug 2009
Cratex said:
(I always find this kind of comment interesting). Answer: "No, I didn't find it confusing."

That's good to hear. It's important that it's enjoyable for both VN fans and anime only viewers.
Jul 2, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2012
Pretty great first episode. I found the story so far to be really interesting with all the super natural elements. I really like our MC and all the girls seem to be solid so far. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 2, 2016 4:40 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
AlexTheRiot said:
And as far as that goes, he doesn't necessarily considers the person he's looking for to be an actual witch, it's more hopeful ignorance.
One should always be careful of what one wishes for, because the wish might be granted ;)
Jul 2, 2016 4:44 PM

Dec 2014
I haven't played the VN, but I heard really good things about it. This episode had some good moments, but I'm still not sure what's going on. The characters seem pretty interesting though. I'm sure I'll like it more after a few more episodes.

Jul 2, 2016 4:52 PM

Feb 2015
I wasn't expecting to sit still that long. By the time I realized it was an hour long, I was in too deep.
Jul 2, 2016 4:52 PM

Nov 2014
I heard quite good things about the LN and was expecting much more.

The animation is jarring, the story makes no sense to me.

Don't need to read the LN to know this is super rushed.
Jul 2, 2016 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
As a VN reader, wow that was an entertaining first episode. It's kinda rushed but it's definitely still a good watch.
Jul 2, 2016 5:08 PM

Nov 2012
Well, this basically met my expectations. It's way too rushed as I thought it would be, and they totally decimated the feel of the suspense the common route had in the VN. Throwing in that random scene with Pani and Gil was absolutely retarded. Even the comedy with Yoshino was kinda off, don't know why.

I guess it's not bad, I'll keep watching... But it's nothing compared to the VN.
Jul 2, 2016 5:12 PM

Jan 2015
Interesting first episode. Comedy was decent enough though not too sure what they're trying to do with the artwork at times.

A lot of girls to start out the series though.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 2, 2016 5:27 PM

Jun 2014
That was a really shitty episode.. Was meant to be setup but it was done so badly I don't even have a hint of what it was setting up. The aesthetics overall look awful too with the bland shading and terrible CG. The first episode didn't sell me on what to expect or if the show is worth watching at all.
Jul 2, 2016 5:41 PM
Oct 2015
Seems like everyone has differing opinions. I enjoyed it, and I have played the VN. This is most likely another timeline before Moon Route
Jul 2, 2016 5:48 PM

May 2016
Rewrite was the very first VN I ever played and aside from the last half of the Terra route I love every moment of it.

Having watched this first episode though... I'm honestly not impressed. I don't care about the quality of the artwork as long as the story is good and well written, but the pacing here is atrocious. Pami and Gil are introduced WAY too soon and the story is just all over the place.

You think Key would have learned their lesson after Angel Beats! and Charlotte but it's clear they still haven't. While I saw this coming a mile away it still hurts.

Well... let's see how the next few episodes turn out but I just know this anime is really going to test my patience.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Jul 2, 2016 5:56 PM
Jul 2013
What dafuq did I just watch? o.O

I'm not even sure what to make of this first episode.
Jul 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Jan 2016
Never played the visual novel. I like the art especially the lighting and environment together with the soundtrack. Its so calming.. Very interesting anime
Jul 2, 2016 6:01 PM
Jun 2016
Zheif said:
For such a long episode they sure explained nothing at all. Thought it was garbage.
I mean... The only parts where I think would be worth questioning is the stuff at the end. Though I agree it should be explained if they are to explain it how could they in the time frame of the first episode?
Jul 2, 2016 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
They cut out a lot of great scenes but overall it catered to us VN fans lol. Sad that they changed up the meetings with Lucia and Chihaya though, those were hilarious scenes. Kagari is so damn cute animated gfoaishjgolkfja.

Looks like the haters who expect that the first episode explain everything in detail are here.

Mod Edit: Telling people to go away because they have a different opinion than you is basically asking for a flame-war to happen.
Don't do it. Part of your post is modified.
TyrelJul 2, 2016 6:36 PM
Jul 2, 2016 6:12 PM

Jun 2008
This wasn't something I expected to enjoy but I thought it was a pretty decent first episode. I'm looking forward to finding out wtf is going on.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

293 by nhkam »»
Apr 6, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2016

177 by Miki42 »»
Jan 10, 9:41 AM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

112 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

126 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:43 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

242 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.