Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2016 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
It was announced in the 30th issue of Weekly Shounen Magazine that manga UQ Holder! will be receiving an anime adaptation. In addition, the series will go on a temporary hiatus as it will change its magazine to Bessatsu Shounen. The change will take effect beginning with Weekly Shounen Magazine's 30th issue and will make its debut in Bessatsu Shounen on October 9 for its November edition.

Synopsis
In the decade since the world became aware of the existence of magic, the world has undergone massive upheaval; however, a boy named Touta lives in seclusion in a rural town far removed from these changes. His ordinary life is highlighted by his magic-using female teacher and his supportive friends. When his tranquil daily life is disrupted, he embarks on a unique adventure. (Source: ANN)

The series is drawn by Ken Akamatsu and has been publishing since August 2013. It currently has ten volumes published. The 11th and 12th volumes will be released on July 15 and November 17, respectively. The English version has been published by Kodansha Comics USA since March 2014 and in Brazilian Portuguese by Jbc since April 2016.

Source: Yaraon

News submitted by edge13 & Zazie122

UQ Holder! on MAL.
Stark700Jul 2, 2016 7:51 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 20, 2016 8:56 AM

Mar 2012
We got this but why Negima didn't get proper anime adaptation ;_;
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Jun 20, 2016 9:01 AM

Sep 2014
Was expected...

Wonder which studio will adapt this....Shaft? :P
Hopefully this will be a more faithful adaptation than the 2 Negima series ¬¬'

Jun 20, 2016 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
Do you have to finish Negima to watch this? I've put Negima on hold but this is a sequel for an incomplete adaptation...
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 20, 2016 9:17 AM

Apr 2012
Still waiting for that Negi vs Rakan animation Q.Q
Jun 20, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2015
Oh god no...
it's fine as a manga,
but if i have to go through all that pointless fanservice while watching this , i'll probably facepalm myself into oblivion.
Jun 20, 2016 9:23 AM

Jul 2010
This manga started off pretty good but then it got less so the more it went on so I dropped it. But an anime is good, I guess.
Jun 20, 2016 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
Ah yes the classic

(of course she's a 300 year old vampire so it's totally ok if you're into the loli)
Jun 20, 2016 9:28 AM

Feb 2009
I'm more surprised about the magazine change. Wonder what's the issue with that. Ken can't keep up weekly releases anymore? The quality still seems the same in the past few chapters. Or is the ratings not doing that well in WSM? And just when things were getting exciting in the latest chapters, it had to move to being monthly. Ah well.

Looking forward to the anime.
Jun 20, 2016 9:33 AM

Oct 2013
Tenth said:
This manga started off pretty good but then it got less so the more it went on so I dropped it. But an anime is good, I guess.
Tenth said:

I'll have to agree I liked it at the beginning, but it slowly turn into some generic harem series and from there my interest has decrease in this series. I still follow it though.
Jun 20, 2016 9:35 AM

Jul 2010
NaturalPerm said:
Ah yes the classic

(of course she's a 300 year old vampire so it's totally ok if you're into the loli)

She's not really loli in this one though and spends most of the time in adult form.
Jun 20, 2016 9:38 AM

Jun 2014
Place your bets it's gonna be a crappy adaptation from A-1 pictures.
:3
Jun 20, 2016 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
Saw Ken Akamatsu's name and thought of Negima, forgot completely that this was a sequel to Negima, thought this was something new. Wish we got a continued sequel to Negima though, guess that won't be coming and I should take the manga off hold.
Jun 20, 2016 9:44 AM

Jun 2008
Tenth said:
NaturalPerm said:
Ah yes the classic

She's not really loli in this one though and spends most of the time in adult form.

This is blasphemy T_T
Jun 20, 2016 9:53 AM

Apr 2014
Hopefully its Shaft and they dont follow the manga faithfully. The manga isnt worth being adapted 1:1.
Jun 20, 2016 10:01 AM

Aug 2015
moodie said:
Hopefully its Shaft and they dont follow the manga faithfully. The manga isnt worth being adapted 1:1.

so much salt wow it's one of the best action + harem out there ... you haven't even read manga yet
Jun 20, 2016 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
I'll be optimistic about this. Been following the manga since day one and has been enjoying it here and there.

Been a few years since I've seen Negima though.
Jun 20, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2014
ultravigo said:
moodie said:

so much salt wow it's one of the best action + harem out there ... you haven't even read manga yet
What makes u think that? Because i only use my manga list for doujins?
Jun 20, 2016 10:18 AM

Aug 2014
I'm tentatively excited about this. Hopefully it won't go down like Negima did.
Jun 20, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2012
Zeta-Astacion said:
We got this but why Negima didn't get proper anime adaptation ;_;

Pretty much this. It's annoying that the sequel is getting an anime before Negima has a faithful one, but I'm gonna be so salty if it's actually Shaft that does it.

I'm also still waiting for my Negi-Rakan fight. The most faithful animation Negima got was the White Wings and Another World OVAs... and then the movie had a slideshow of the chapters leading up to
before going off on its own.

FireEmblemIke24 said:
Do you have to finish Negima to watch this? I've put Negima on hold but this is a sequel for an incomplete adaptation...

And this is my other fear. I haven't personally read the manga myself, but I've heard that not only do certain Negima characters reappear, but

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jun 20, 2016 10:40 AM

Mar 2014
So the series is going monthly now?
The manga was pretty boring but the action scenes in it are top notch (though they lack impact because boring manga, but they are still very fluid and neat), hopefully this goes to a studio who can adapt those well.
Jun 20, 2016 10:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Bit late on this news but anyway, this is kind of weird because you almost have to read the manga for Negima to watch this in order to properly understand the context. Feels like they'll miss out on a lot of viewers as a result

Either way, just like Negima, UQ Holder is pretty boring in the beginning, but eventually gets going and currently it's pretty awesome. However I don't even know if the anime will adapt that far so by itself it could turn out pretty mediocre, we'll see
Jun 20, 2016 10:53 AM

Jul 2015
As expected, it started at 2013 so after three or four years, this gets an adaptation. The Action and the Supernatural Elements as well as the scale of the Fantasy World is the Pros, while the Ecchi and Harem Service is pretty generic and serves as a Cons of this series.

FireEmblemIke24 said:

I think you don't need to read 'Negima'. I started Reading 'UQ Holder' clueless about 'Negima', I've just realized it after searching for some mangas, the series handled the story w/out relying on the past, but there's so many characters 'from Negima' that has Appeared on 'UQ Holder'
Jun 20, 2016 10:56 AM
Jun 2015
As long as it's and ongoing series and it isn't made by Xebec, I'll watch it.
Jun 20, 2016 11:00 AM

Feb 2014
YAAAAY!! YUKIHIME~~~~ <3 <3
Jun 20, 2016 11:50 AM

Mar 2016
Wohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jun 20, 2016 11:54 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
Sweet news honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing this considering Negima is by far most one of my favorite manga. Definitely looking forward to it!
Jun 20, 2016 12:31 PM

Jun 2008
Sounds interesting.
Jun 20, 2016 1:29 PM

May 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:

If you wanna get to know the world a bit better and context of why and what's exactly happening, yeah. I mean, it's sorta just a continuation of the Negima but with different characters, though

I advise READING Negima, not watching though since you said yourself that it's an incomplete adaptation :v I feel like Negima won't ever get a complete adaptation anyway

Jun 20, 2016 2:10 PM

May 2012
That was quick...
Let's wait for the studio reveal.
beep
Jun 20, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
About Time~
Hope for the better animation quality wise than it's predecessor.
Jun 20, 2016 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Guess i have to read or watch Negima.
Jun 20, 2016 4:08 PM

Oct 2013
Well its about fkng time, knew this was coming eventually but took a while huh? I still need to read the rest of Negima's 300+ chapters before I get back to UQ Holder T_T
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 20, 2016 4:08 PM

Apr 2013
Oh, that's nice.
Let's hope it's faithful like the negima OVA rather than the crap we got as the two negima series tho.

I need to start back that manga. Left it on the side until it reached enough chapters, looks like it's the case right now. I really enjoyed Akamatsu's writing.

NaturalPerm said:
Ah yes the classic

Actually, she was born during the hundred world war, and since UQ holder is near the end of the 21st century, this means that she's between 760 to 880 years old by now. Although like it was said, in UQ she spends lots of time under a gorgeous adult form anyway ~.
Jun 20, 2016 6:35 PM

Apr 2016
I was waiting for this but shouldnt they first finish an adaptation of the original anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2014
NaturalPerm said:
Ah yes the classic

Calm down its not a LN adaptation ;_;
Jun 20, 2016 8:25 PM

Mar 2015
totaly not see that coming, lOl [/sarcasm]

anyways, yes, you need to read negima... even it not that correlated in beginning, what plot going into is just stright negima verse... not only character appereance (especialy latest arc).. just matter of time i bet...

probably shaft, since the previous also shaft.. can't see otherwise... (at least not xebec)
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 20, 2016 9:04 PM

Jan 2008
No announcement of studio? Don't mind if Shaft does it as long as they kept it like the OVA's but in TV format, that being a proper adaption

Can't see the anime getting very far but more Evangeline is always good.
Jun 20, 2016 9:59 PM

Jan 2016
No screwy screwy like Negima plz
Jun 20, 2016 10:37 PM

Mar 2014
I just dropped the manga not long ago but I guess I'll watch how the adaptation goes.
Jun 20, 2016 10:37 PM

Jan 2014
Paulo27 said:
The manga was pretty boring but the action scenes in it are top notch (though they lack impact because boring manga, but they are still very fluid and neat), hopefully this goes to a studio who can adapt those well.

what? idk what rumors you're hearing but UQ is weekly and will always be weekly

Paul said:
No announcement of studio? Don't mind if Shaft does it as long as they kept it like the OVA's but in TV format, that being a proper adaption

Ewww Shaft doing UQ? Disgusting. I like Shaft, but this is not the show for them to do
Jun 20, 2016 10:42 PM

Jan 2008
DoctorWasabi said:
Paulo27 said:

Paul said:

Ewww Shaft doing UQ? Disgusting. I like Shaft, but this is not the show for them to do

Unless another studio decides to pick it up, they're currently the likely candidate as they did all the Negima ones after the first TV series. While their orignal version of their TV series remake wasn't exactly a proper show, it was still fun. The OVA's, which were proper adaptions were great, albeit rushed because of OVAs but great for what they managed to fit in.
Jun 20, 2016 11:24 PM

Jun 2011
HOLY SHET I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS! Wow. I wish it was Negima who got a remake instead of this which will probably be 1 cour and only there to promote the manga, so the pacing will probably be abysmal. This series is also not as good as MSN, as far as the characters and the story go, and Touta is not as charming of a protagonist as Negi was. The world building was meh compared to MSN and its magic world concept. Pretty much everything is inferior to its prequel, and it's also disturbing that Ken Akamatsu sensei has the gall to go with some implication of

I still wish this is a success and MSN can finally get a proper adaptation it deserves. I hope it's not done by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbou, that would suck.

EHero09 said:
I'm also still waiting for my Negi-Rakan fight.
This!! When are they gonna animate that epic fight? It was disappointing that the OVA didn't include one of the most badass fight in the series.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 20, 2016 11:25 PM

Mar 2014
DoctorWasabi said:
Paulo27 said:

Paul said:

Bessatsu Shounen is monthly.
Jun 21, 2016 12:19 AM

Sep 2012
I hope this will be adapted well, really enjoy the manga.
Jun 21, 2016 12:26 AM

May 2008
I hope it's an OAD series, a TV series would be shitty and confusing since they never did a good/proper Negima! adaptation ;_;.

I'm kind of glad it's moving to monthly issues, though. Akamatsu's older and seems to be getting a bit worn down from his work. Given all the details he likes to put into his art, this gives him more time to do so. Plus, longer chapters and less cliffhangers are always good.
Jun 21, 2016 12:33 AM

Feb 2016
I hope this doesn't become a another Tokyo Ghoul.
I hope Bones, Madhouse MAPPA, or J.C staff over this.
I won't touch this if Pierrot, Toei or A1 Pictures gets they hands one it because I don't want to see my favourite Manga series being treated bad AGAIN!
Jun 21, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 2015
Oh geez. How will explain the chapters. You clearly need Negima knowledge for this.
(Plus it starts slow as well, so there's that problem)
Jun 21, 2016 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
Fukuoka1999 said:
I was waiting for this but shouldnt they first finish an adaptation of the original anime?
Finish? They didn't even start it. They did two series that aren't following the manga, and several OAV that adapted correctly a few chapters here and there for those who were reading the manga. Technically, for anime watchers only, Yo ucan't for example watch an anime and then continue the manga, you need to start by chapter 1 of the manga, so it didn't even start.

ToG25thBaam said:
HOLY SHET I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS! Wow. I wish it was Negima who got a remake instead of this which will probably be 1 cour and only there to promote the manga, so the pacing will probably be abysmal. This series is also not as good as MSN, as far as the characters and the story go, and Touta is not as charming of a protagonist as Negi was. The world building was meh compared to MSN and its magic world concept. Pretty much everything is inferior to its prequel, and it's also disturbing that Ken Akamatsu sensei has the gall to go with some implication of

I still wish this is a success and MSN can finally get a proper adaptation it deserves. I hope it's not done by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbou, that would suck.

EHero09 said:
I'm also still waiting for my Negi-Rakan fight.
This!! When are they gonna animate that epic fight? It was disappointing that the OVA didn't include one of the most badass fight in the series.

It's too epic for any anime studio, that's why. Last time a studio tried, their computers exploded while tryin it.
ZefyrisJun 21, 2016 3:17 AM
Jun 21, 2016 5:00 AM

Jun 2011
Zefyris said:
ToG25thBaam said:

It's too epic for any anime studio, that's why. Last time a studio tried, their computers exploded while tryin it.
I guess it can't be helped. Nobody can handle Jack "life hacks" Rakan. I still wish that man would grace us with his presence in anime form though, just 3 episodes of it isn't enough.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

41 by BookishChef »»
21 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 24 minutes ago

0 by Snow »»
24 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
Yesterday, 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.