Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »
Apr 17, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2015
iLove3P said:

Wouldn't they know whose baby it is if they havee her memories?

Now that, my friend... is a good question.
May 7, 2015 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, that was really interesting.
So, that little girl is the one in charge? It sure seems so....
Next episode seems cool too *.* Bowling XD
May 9, 2015 4:54 AM

Oct 2014
The plot twist is damn so real.
The first 2 episodes of this series have been so damn marvelous. The best in a long time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2015 5:06 AM
May 2009
Good episode. Showing that the arbitors are flawed due to lack of experience, and human emotion.

In the end it was the action of cheating that sent Machiko to the void, where as the Takashi just suffers from distrust of everyone was considered harmless.

Either way it was a decent episode.
May 25, 2015 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
darkreaver94 said:
Very good episode. It shows how quick a person pass a judgement towards others without truly understand them. Decim admitted his mistake which is what I liked about his character. He might undergo some character development with the help of Onna :)

5/5. Interested to see the next game.

Decim is so classy :)
I also liked how they show what quindecim really is, what it does in an interesting way.

Hard to tell whether the woman and man went into the correct "elevator", they both had some flaws, not really "Void" worthy imo.
May 30, 2015 6:15 PM

Mar 2012
I liked this episode but I had the same problem some other people had, which was that apparently the arbiters selecting if we go on to the afterlife were incompetent and didn't understand basic human emotions. Kind of makes you wonder how the rest of their verdicts go if we've seen one and already they're getting showed up by the assistants. The content of the show's pretty heavy so it seems really really silly in context.

I wish they had set the two episodes up more nicely so the second episode could be more illuminating but it was a pretty interesting twist. I was surprised Takuchi was reincarnated anyways considering he hit the stomach of his pregnant wife carrying his child with a dart AFTER getting them all killed in the first place and then attacked her but hey, arbiters do their thing.

Overall this series is looking pretty interesting. Hoping for more

darkreaver94 said:
Very good episode. It shows how quick a person pass a judgement towards others without truly understand them. Decim admitted his mistake which is what I liked about his character.

True, would have been nice if he could have learned that lesson in like arbiter school or something instead of being like "Aw, shucks" after sending some random person's soul to the void but still
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jun 4, 2015 5:09 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Good episode introducing us to the rules behind this world. Really interesting anime
Jun 10, 2015 1:19 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Really nice ep *-*
Was nice to see the other perspective of the whole thing.
Even if I still have my problems to understand who gets reincarnated and who goes to the void.

Jun 11, 2015 12:29 PM

Jun 2010
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
White haired little b.tch already annoying

I agree. Useless episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 12:30 PM

Sep 2011
Lots of information in this episode. Its nice to know a lot of the theories I made in the OVA and the first episode ended up being true. Some of the details we found out actually came to a surprise to me as well, which makes this whole thing a lot more interesting!
Jul 14, 2015 10:06 AM

Dec 2008
Loved this episode.
Nona's an awesome character and I love how she got pissed at Decim. Shows that the arbiters aren't just 1 dimensional characters.
Also loved how it touched upon the last episode and cleared some stuff up. I'm glad she lied to her husband to spare him, but it's a shame that she went to hell.
Aug 5, 2015 12:20 AM
May 2015
wow this is good.
Had the lady married the doctor solely for the money I can accept her going to the void, but it turns out that she truly loved him. Her cheating was implied to be a one time thing and something that she deeply regretted. Furthermore she showed complete selflessness when she lied about the father of their child to free her husband's conscience.
On the other hand, although the husband had a legitimate reason to suspect unfaithfulness, his unease consumed him to the point where he would physically hurt his wife despite having no evidence. Also he purposely hit the dartboard (thus hurting his wife) to prevent himself from losing. These actions are arguably more evil than his wife's cheating.
Both of them made mistakes. In fact one can argue that the husband was more "evil" than his wife, but none of them deserved to go to hell imo. This show is doing an amazing job of reminding us that in every saint there is a devil and passing judgement isnt as transparent as it seems
EL PSY CONGROO
Aug 6, 2015 6:07 AM

Aug 2009
How curious and interesting.
Aug 8, 2015 3:43 PM

Feb 2012
At the end, I think it was somewhat established that the correct verdict is a matter of perspective.
Aug 13, 2015 3:09 AM

Jan 2013

Dropped.

Are you fucking kidding me?
So the "void" is actually the anime's hell? The punishment? Not some clever play on religious perspective of west vs. east thanatology?

And Decim, the no-nonsense judge and arbitrer of people's afterlives is a complete retard? Wow, talk about ruining the fucking ambiguous aura he had in Billiards and episode 1.

Also, if he gets the entire collection of the guests' memories, how can he make a mistake like that?
"HURR DURR, I DIDNT KNOW SHE WOULD REGRET IT"
Nigga gets the entire set of memories, he should at least experience the memory of regret Machiko had. The anime even went out of its way to animate the scene. Holy shit what a dip.

What was the point of all that Buddhist imagery and symbolism? The concept of the void and reincarnation?

Dropped dropped dropped.

Fuck this pseudo-intellectual bullshit.
PeenusWeenusCaimAug 13, 2015 3:28 AM
Sep 14, 2015 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
Now i feel like a complete dick from my previous post. my sister got home from school so we rewatched the first two episodes together. i enjoyed watching her different WTF? faces. XD.
Sep 29, 2015 7:27 PM

Feb 2014
Better than the first episode. I thought it was interesting how they showed a different view of the couple.

But the "dark and edgy" aspect seems to be too forced imo. Also, the bartender makes a mistake when deciding who went to heaven and who went to hell and they all shrug it off like "oops!" wth???

Also, where did this new girl come from? Why was she chosen to be an assistant?
Oct 1, 2015 10:11 AM

Sep 2013
So it turned out everyone was actually right. The woman did love her husband but also cheated on him. I was convinced she was lying when she said he didnt love him but I didnt bother to think of an explanation about the flashback of her with another man.

Well this is turning into Jigoku shoujo more on more where even innocent people are being sent to hell or in this case "the void."
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 12, 2015 1:39 PM

Nov 2013
Max said:
I'm really not sure why people like this anime so much. Sure, it's OK, but.. So many others have tackled this theme and failed, so why would it work now?
This episode just seemed like an excuse to clean up the mess that was the first one.

Tastes are different. But I agree. In this episode we got the random dialogue just from another perspective.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 16, 2015 11:26 AM

Feb 2014
Well, that sucked, especially after how good the first episode was. The first half was basically "the idiot's guide to episode 1", full of unnecessary exposition. Thankfully, the black haired girl and her explanation (ironically) saved this episode. I guess they brought her in to provide a human's perspective, and help the arbiter who is quite incompetent at his job.
Nov 8, 2015 7:53 AM

Jan 2012
so in the both way you are fucked .

Nov 14, 2015 6:10 PM

Sep 2015
Well, awesome episode like the first one, I think I'll fall in love with this anime :)
Nov 29, 2015 8:56 PM

Feb 2010
Very interesting so far and fabulous soundtrack to boot!

Dec 11, 2015 9:38 AM

Jan 2011
great episode in this episode they explained everything
and some new chapters appeared too
Dec 24, 2015 12:12 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Another good episode. In this episode, we got to know more about how everything works.

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerDec 24, 2015 12:12 PM
Dec 30, 2015 8:56 PM

May 2015
Interesting to see what onna's impact will be on Decim as well as how the rest of the characters figure into the rest of the storyline. Also still not a a huge fan of OP. Maybe it will grow on me...
Jan 8, 2016 8:22 AM

Aug 2015
i really don't get the first two episodes, so which one is evil in this case? the girl or the guy?

she did cheat but regret it and she lied everything about the baby so the guy doesn't blame himself for killing the baby.. while the guy had no trust to even his wife and is very egoistic..

so why did decim sent the girl to the hell instead of the guy? i think the girl is thinking about the guy the whole time while the guy only thinks about his own happiness?

can anyone explain this to me?
Jan 12, 2016 5:38 AM

Mar 2015
I like the introduction into the whole scenery with a new character that knows as much as the viewer!

"I learned so much from the people that never existed"
Jan 23, 2016 10:12 AM

Jul 2013
Well the good thing about this episode was that i was wondering whether the first one was sloppy or not but my hunch was correct and there was nothing wrong about the first story.

But on the second hand it was really and disappointing that they had to have huge exposition dump like this.

I hope that it was to just to set a stage and the audience can judge the rest.
Jan 28, 2016 10:29 PM

Aug 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that the bartender should've taken his ass to the void and gotten her soul out of there because he made a freaking mistake and a permanent one? i bet she cheated cuz he was a bad husband, thats why she cried as she remembered him telling her that he would love her forever. Now he is going to be put into the world freaking again and the same thing might kill to him AGAIN and probably with some other girl AGAIN only to be sent back to that bar AGAIN, and its just a struggle... I bet thats what that girl with white hair is thinking at the end... also, see ppl (smh) gossip might kill a man so even if you have a friend that has batter life than you, dont be jelly, dont envy, don't lie or extend the truth, cuz someone might be listening and you might destroy a life :v lol
htdepaulaFeb 8, 2016 9:50 PM
“A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart.” -Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 25

Feb 6, 2016 9:06 PM

Jan 2013
htdepaula said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the bartender should've taken his ass to the void and gotten her soul out of there because he made a freaking mistake and a permanent one?

No. You are definitely not alone in thinking that. It's sort of interesting that he's capable of human error, if he's even "human" anymore, but that sort of thing kind of ruins it for me. He shouldn't exactly be judging people's souls when he can't read people worth a damn. I found the game pretty interesting and wondered how long it would take for them to turn on each other, but Decim's incompetence just made me go... whaaaaat!?

The guy purposely aimed for a blow to her stomach, and I believe she meant to miss when she hit him in the eye, her aim was thrown off by a memory she recollected. I won't use the fact he got them killed against her, and he was justified in his paranoia about the affair, but the game was evidence enough to show that he could be cruel and vindictive. He likely could have become abusive further on in their relationship. The whole resolution left a bad taste in my mouth and made me wonder if I should keep watching.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Dec 2015
htdepaula said:
i bet she cheated cuz he was a bad husband, thats why she cried as she remembered him telling her that he would love her forever.

LostSpectre said:
he was justified in his paranoia about the affair. The whole resolution [...] made me wonder if I should keep watching.

There is nothing to prove the woman cheated on her husband, she simply loves him and chooses to remember that over his behavior in this stressful situation created by Decim. That's why she decided to insist on her "action" and to push her man. In the end, thinking only only one could get an "afterlife", she offered him her place. (because she was indeed the most deserving one)

Spectre, keep watching: due to the episodic nature of the show, some episodes can be weak while others are really great, because it relies entirely on the people who enter the bar.

PS: about Decim, there will be an explanation.
Rei_IIIFeb 7, 2016 11:25 AM
Feb 8, 2016 9:44 PM

Aug 2010
Rei366 said:
htdepaula said:
i bet she cheated cuz he was a bad husband, thats why she cried as she remembered him telling her that he would love her forever.

LostSpectre said:
he was justified in his paranoia about the affair. The whole resolution [...] made me wonder if I should keep watching.

Spectre, keep watching: due to the episodic nature of the show, some episodes can be weak while others are really great, because it relies entirely on the people who enter the bar.

LOL I finished watching a few weeks ago and yeah, you should definitely keep watching it, it gets better. Let me tell you this, and this is not a spoiler.. that will be the last mistake Decim will make. After that, when he sends someone to the void, it wont be by mistake, BUT you will disagree on some occasions because we are humans and we judge differently from each other. I remember, there's even a comment that I made in one of the later EPs threads about a lady and stuff. Dont get mad if someone is sent to the void, a character in the show later on will tell one of the judges and the viewers that the void is actually not a bad place and i totally agree with that character. Being reborn is not always a good thing because you COULD have a worst life than before, soo look at the void as a place to rest.. that's how I see it. If you have suffered enough in one life to end up at Decim's place, why try again and suffer more on the next? no thanks lol o/
“A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart.” -Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 25

Feb 18, 2016 11:41 AM
Jul 2014
Hm, I didn't like this episode. It's up to us to discuss and interpret actions in life or motives of those entering. I would rather see that arbiters are always right! I mean if afterlife really exist (in any shape and form) I would certainly want the judge - whoever that will be is not gonna be affected by emotions or personal preferences!!!
jakovMar 11, 2016 8:16 AM
Feb 28, 2016 6:18 AM
Feb 2016
Personally I can't say who deserved what. Yes she cheated but his distrust of her probably drove her to cheat based on a misunderstanding. But in the end she was probably sent to the void not because she cheated not because she lied at the end and not because he deserved a second chance. If the void is nothingness she was sent there because she knew love and was contempt and felt he needed a second chance but based on decim logic if he void is negative than because she cheated due to accusations by him she made a terrible mistake by fighting fire with oil and instead of coming out and telling her husband so he could either get a divorce or condemn himself with his own actions she kept it a secret and ultimately caused their deaths with allowing am his distrust to continue and them eventually crashing because of it. Did she love him...most likely so but because she couldn't forgive herself she didn't get the second chance.
Only4_2niteFeb 28, 2016 6:22 AM
Apr 20, 2016 10:03 AM

Sep 2013
What a shitty arbitration system, Decim is probably an underpaid blue collar worker who hates the fact that his boss always talks shit to him. Their entire department is probably underfunded too (otherwise they wouldn't have to come up with something so stupid).

Westerners are probably confused with the alignments, but in Buddhism, the end-game goal is nirvana, which is literally THE VOID, not hell. Reincarnation is only prolongs suffering.
May 22, 2016 3:25 AM

Jul 2014
I feel bad for Machiko but... blah, idk >_< Liked this episode though~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jun 27, 2016 11:53 PM

Sep 2013
Just re-watched this episode for the first time and realized that Machiko did in fact cheat. Fuck her, and fuck anybody who says this was caused by Takashi. It doesn't matter how sorry you are, you're an asshole if you cheat on your partner. If you want to cheat break it off.
Signature removed. Bro, can you please follow the signature rules? How many times do I have to tell you, 300kb MAX. You know we don't have the server space for your giant ass gifs. Site & Forum Guidelines (read them dumbass).
Jul 7, 2016 5:47 AM

May 2016
Interesting episode, lets see how toe series will go on
Jul 13, 2016 11:29 PM

May 2013
I need more information about this first judgement. Arrghh! DX

My first guess was that she was lying because she loved her husband so much and wanted to spare him and that all her texting and stuff was to tell other people to hush about her being preggo (a memory that maybe didn't yet recover while they were in the afterlife). But turns out she did cheat, so I got half wrong...

Didn't expect Decim to be wrong since I assumed he knew the truth but the judgment is actually based on his best abilities and observations, so no mind reading or auto-information transfer :/ That sucks.

I also wanna know-- why the baby's soul had to go to the void too??? It's 10 weeks, so the baby is still forming. Should have a soul too, no? But the baby didn't get to live yet so there's no way of knowing where it should be sent. Seems unfair for it to just get washed off with the mother's soul too, buuut.... Whuttevs, I guess... v___v

Also, I'm guessing that the dead people who lived most pure in their lives get to serve in the afterlife-- like Decim, Nona, Clavis.... Just my guess :) I could be wrong though bc Decim didn't understand Onna's views on human emotions like love and sacrifice, but Onna lost her memories, so she's gotta be a dead human right? :3
Kokoro_KotashimaJul 13, 2016 11:41 PM
Jul 20, 2016 7:25 PM

Feb 2016
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:

My first guess was that she was lying because she loved her husband so much and wanted to spare him and that all her texting and stuff was to tell other people to hush about her being preggo (a memory that maybe didn't yet recover while they were in the afterlife). But turns out she did cheat, so I got half wrong...

Didn't expect Decim to be wrong since I assumed he knew the truth but the judgment is actually based on his best abilities and observations, so no mind reading or auto-information transfer :/ That sucks.

I also wanna know-- why the baby's soul had to go to the void too??? It's 10 weeks, so the baby is still forming. Should have a soul too, no? But the baby didn't get to live yet so there's no way of knowing where it should be sent. Seems unfair for it to just get washed off with the mother's soul too, buuut.... Whuttevs, I guess... v___v

Also, I'm guessing that the dead people who lived most pure in their lives get to serve in the afterlife-- like Decim, Nona, Clavis.... Just my guess :) I could be wrong though bc Decim didn't understand Onna's views on human emotions like love and sacrifice, but Onna lost her memories, so she's gotta be a dead human right? :3

I could see that you ended the series the same day XD... so you probably know all the answers by now .... about the baby's soul I guess it doesn't count if they weren't born... That could be an Author's decision... now, I can safely say that I like this series
Jul 20, 2016 8:57 PM

May 2013
rimazeniman said:
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:

I could see that you ended the series the same day XD... so you probably know all the answers by now .... about the baby's soul I guess it doesn't count if they weren't born... That could be an Author's decision... now, I can safely say that I like this series

Ahahhaha! Yeah, I binged this all in one go! LOL.
Jul 21, 2016 1:29 PM

Mar 2012
Ehh, it has an interesting premise, but the execution is pretty mediocre.
The female protagonist looks like she had a lobotomy with how emotionless, expressionless and the slow on the intake speaking pattern she adopts.
Sep 14, 2016 10:17 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Based on the review in this 2nd episode, so the man is the one that really should've gone to hell or at least both of them.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 28, 2016 8:11 PM

Mar 2016
Why did Nona change her mind about the new girl?
Oct 18, 2016 4:43 PM
Apr 2014
I read about people saying that she still deserved it because she cheated. By your reasoning, no human could ever be saved. There is literally nobody who hasn't done something bad in their lives. It was stated in this episode: everybody makes mistakes, but judgement should be made upon their feelings. In the end, what still baffles me is how the guy was saved. The girl could tell he wasn't to be saved because she read his feelings well, but even for someone like Decim who only takes things at face value, seeing this guy, who actively killed his pregnant wife and only showed negative emotions and actions during the game, should have been enough to make the correct decision at least with him. Then we would have discussed if it was really enough to get him punished etc etc, but it never happened. Oh well.
Nov 18, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2016
Still can't comprehend the system and the story, wat..
Nov 20, 2016 4:18 PM

Jun 2013
Really enjoyed the behind the stage look! So the ambiguity is back, I'm glad. It's actually more satisfying this way, that the arbiters are not perfect, and outside of the memories they receive from the departed's lives, they can't read their minds. It's really not an easy job.

I like Nona and Black Haired Woman, Nona has good chemistry with Decim and the latter thinks outside the box, plus she's an "audience surrogate", and I've always liked characters like that when they're not complete idiots.
Nov 21, 2016 9:37 AM

Sep 2016
Was a bit boring but got to know the story a bit better..
Nov 23, 2016 3:14 AM

Mar 2013
Mmm, I enjoyed this episode more than I was expecting to. I find it intensely satisfying that the arbiters aren't all knowing and are, as Decim proved, fallible. I do have to wonder how someone as... what's the word... unintuitive as him got that job of arbiter in the first place. Makes you think he might be better off working the elevator. But perhaps there's more to him than meets the eye.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.