Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2009 8:07 PM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And I used to say I didn't like Sports Anime/Manga, but look at my lists, I'm watching/reading like 4 different ones. Guess I just hadn't seen ones like Major. That was an excellent first episode, I cried twice T___T Still not really sure who the main character is, Goro or his Dad, or both? Can't wait for more, Vulture is releasing these in HD now, so that's an added bonus, I probably wouldn't have started watching this yet, but I saw the first ep on TokyoTosho, so I grabbed it, and I've heard great things about this anime...Urahara Out!!
Jun 10, 2009 7:41 AM

May 2008
I had been playing around with the idea of checking this out for a while and I'll be glad I did if it stays this good. In one episode Major has accomplished more than a lot of anime do in several while still being perfectly paced. Great stuff.
Apr 11, 2010 9:47 PM

Feb 2008
the managers were far nicer than I expected, giving him that job offer.

doesn't everyone on the team have to bat?

I don't think people should have pushed him so hard to go back to baseball, he really is to old to ever make it back into the majors, especially if he's as injury prone as they were making him out to be. for some reason I keep expecting him to die, but I somehow think that that'll only happen after he marries that teacher.
Nov 7, 2010 8:35 PM

Jul 2009
I'm glad I decided to check this out. Definitely one of the better first episodes I've seen!
Apr 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Feb 2009
Good first episode.It was very touching when the manager brought back Goro and told his dad what had happened.Wanna see some Dad x Sensei romance,lol.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 22, 2011 5:33 AM

Aug 2010
This might be ok.
Apr 18, 2012 8:27 PM

Mar 2011
That was a good first episode. Since ball season started, I felt like watching this.

To answer that one guy, in the MLB only in the National League do pitchers bat, in the American League there's a Designated Hitter to fill that spot instead. Not sure how the Japan ball league is.

Go Blue Jays!
Apr 28, 2013 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
Wow, one episode and I'm hooked. That's about all you could ask for in one episode especially the first episode.
Apr 28, 2013 9:35 PM

Nov 2012
WolfWood37 said:
Wow, one episode and I'm hooked. That's about all you could ask for in one episode especially the first episode.
Incoming MELODRAMA for the next 6 episodes.
May 13, 2013 8:20 PM

Jul 2008
Alexx_ said:
WolfWood37 said:
Incoming MELODRAMA for the next 6 episodes.

Heh, yeah pretty much.
Dec 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
Holy shit. That was an excellent first episode. Those twists were so unexpected. My feels.

I'm expecting Goro's dad to get together with Momoko sometime later. They are just too cute.
Mar 1, 2014 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
Well I'm glad I continued my sports streak with Major. This first episode left a really good impression, already liking what I'm seeing. A nice mix of drama, sol, and comedy already.
Dec 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Nov 2009
31? And he is going to make a comeback? He is kind of old but I guess it isn't hopeless. But why the heck is he living in an apartment like that? The "Major Leagues" for Japan seem kind of depressing.
Apr 27, 2015 10:37 PM

Feb 2015
Aww, this was a good first ep. I've totally been on a baseball kick lately.
Jun 24, 2015 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was both touching and depressing... The little moment of fame of baseball pitcher only to get carried in a downfall... On the other hand, you have a child who have bear both the death of his mom and his own dream being crushed.

But, there seem to be some major foreshadowing, unless I'm being fooled by the hint. There is the teacher that seem to be somekind of motherly figure to him, even if he deny it. You also have a terribly lonely and afflicted father, that struggle to face his own kid. If that don't lead where I think it will...

I have difficulty to believe that a pitcher could become a great batter at that age, but I'll put my fate in anime magic x)
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 2:03 AM

Jun 2009
this was a pretty terrible first episode, honestly. it felt like they went through 6 manga chapters. i'm going to stick with this though since i'm a sucker for sports anime and i know it will get better.
Jul 21, 2015 12:26 PM

Nov 2012
Decided it was time to watch this sports classic,hope I'll end up loving this series as much as Diamond no Ace cause this series has ALOT of seasons.

Won't be expecting too much from this season cause I hear the first few seasons aren't as good as the later ones.
Aug 5, 2015 1:06 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic start to what's sure to be an epic story.
It's going to be awhile before he gets into high school baseball.
Aug 12, 2015 2:31 PM

Jan 2015
What a packed episode ! So many things happened i had to check halfway if it was a 40min ep ^^"

A really nice start, with feels and likeable characters. Hope this will continue throughout the series.
I just recently found out that I appreciated sports anime more than I thought beforehand, thanks to titles like Chihayafuru or Baby Steps. Hope this one will follow the trend (even if it's way older :p)
Mar 20, 2016 1:58 AM

Mar 2012
Yikes the pacing was fast as hell. First episode felt pretty rushed, hope the rest don't feel the same.
Apr 13, 2016 3:20 PM

Feb 2013
Poor Goro to lose his mother and to see his father's baseball career go down the drain.
UlquiorraApr 13, 2016 3:24 PM
Apr 18, 2016 2:44 PM

Feb 2010
Wow, that was a fantastic first episode. Loved it. Hope the series is as good as its premiere.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
May 2, 2016 11:26 PM

Feb 2008
Now this is a really interesting and different beginning of a sports show. It was mostly drama, and it might take a while until they even start playing. Probably a small time skip somewhere to make Goro at least a few years older, since he's kindergarten atm.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 30, 2016 4:34 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, that was some pretty heavy stuff for a first episode. I came for some baseball action but the drama levels are through the roof. I'll probably watch a few more episodes to see where this goes because the MAL rating is pretty damn high.
Nov 25, 2017 2:21 AM

Dec 2015
This episode felt like hours!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 8, 2017 2:40 PM

Nov 2016
Those were a lot of feels for a first episode,the drama and comedy were spot on and I love the determination of father and son, what great combi.

Overall it was a pretty awesome start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 4:10 PM

Sep 2011
Damn a lot happened in this first episode! It actually felt longer than 25 minutes as well which is strange. Looking forward to the next episode!
Jan 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah this was a good start although the flashback with Goro's mother dying came so sudden, it just looked like she got a headache but then boom, dead in a coffin. Came off as kinda hilarious to me but that's just me being nitpicky.
May 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Jun 2016
My first thought was melodrama overload. The characters weren't given time for me to care about them, they weren't characterized to feel like real people, and we got tragedy after tragedy!!! Mom dead, Goro sad about Honda's bad luck, Honda retiring due to injury, Goro runs out! It was definitely not subtle and it felt as though it was being crammed down my throat.

Yet, I teared up numerous times and felt genuine gratefulness to the kindness that did show up. Despite how everything felt as though it was purely to have enough information to make it sad, the emotions being captured were real. A father climbing in his beloved career only to unfairly lose his wife, fall weak to illness, then have to retire. He's a loving father but that moment of drunken anger when he didn't call home and pushed his son out of the way showed how upset he was. Further, having Goro see him as his hero, as the unstoppable baseball pro, and to see the hero he looks up to and tries to be fail, well it led to some true sadness on his part. How does a kid deal with that? Plus, Honda revealed it all like he was tearing off a band-aid.

Yet on top of the unfairness pushing Honda down, we had moments where Hoshino was so kind to Goro and looked after him. Or when Shigeno refused to let his good friend get down on himself and gave him a path Honda did have left, paired with that great guitar track. Or like when his manager gave him another job still related to baseball. It was all sweet. Real kindness emerging from the sadness. :)

I guess my last thought is that I'm fascinated by how this story is being told. It seems to be split into two story lines. It's as though there is a typical shounen story here featuring Goro. He wants to grow up like his hero, he's a fighter who always gives his all, he's always trying to improve! And he's going to go from 0 to hero! It's fun in a simple shounen way but the cruel reality of his father's situation makes him more interesting than that. The other side is Honda's. A father who has lost nearly everything. His wife and the game he loves. He knows its unlikely he could be a batter but instead of giving up, for him and Goro he will try and hold onto the thing he loves! It's a more childish story paired with a more mature one, and the way both connect makes both stronger. I liked this a lot!
Nov 13, 2019 5:24 PM

Sep 2018
I enjoy One Out and kind of missed baseball so I try this too.. but I feel very very sad for Goro :( I hate it that parents in anime always die.
I'm really emotional if there's family involve in the show :(
Jun 27, 2020 4:06 PM

Dec 2007
decided finaly to watch major.

though a LOT has happened, the 1st episode just showing what will come next.
and no, i haven't got pity on Honda, i just don't know him enough, it seems to me that the director wanted me to feel more sorry about Goro, all is dreams and future he want to creates inspired by his father.
and even without writing spoilers, the teacher IS going to be like Goro's mother.
Oct 14, 2021 8:58 AM

Jul 2015
Impressive how 5-year old Goro managed to break a school window and get into a fight within the first 6 minutes. Heartbreaking start so far with losing the mother and the dad being injured, at least the managers weren't unreasonable by suggesting a different baseball-related job.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 5 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

33 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - May 14, 2009

103 by arcticmontys »»
Feb 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.