Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 4, 2013 2:51 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, the guys and girls looks great in their outfits this episode. Ah, I'm in the festival mood now too :3

I couldn't take Rei seriously though LOL. I'm glad for Haruka though. He did pretty damn well. I guess it's kinda nice to see more of the flashbacks this episode as well. Rin = kawaii as a kid. I wonder what's going to happen next time. Seems like Rin is joining in the relay competition.
Sep 4, 2013 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
I have no idea why, but the feels were strong for me this episode.

I was a bit on the fence about it at first, but I definitely hope to see a second season of this (and I'd assume that if Stalker estimates are accurate, there most likely will be).

Sep 4, 2013 4:20 PM

Sep 2008
@Stark, lol, hoped someone will beat You to the topic. :P
Sep 5, 2013 3:08 PM

Jun 2008
The music in this week's episode was nice again~. Rei's job as a detective was also very hilarious XD Nagisa's imitation of Rei did make him sound a lot like Nova's role, so that was funny, too. And I don't get how people can call Nagisa girly (maybe quirky, but that's it)... The only one I'd call girly would be Nitori. Both his language and his behaviour seems like that. Although I do have to admit that when Rin ran away from his former school, his movement seemed unusually weird (slow motion-ish). And Kou's friend looked a lot like Yui from K-ON. And except for Rin, there was also Haruka being more honest (although maybe a bit sudden) which I appreciate a lot.
Sep 5, 2013 4:36 PM

Nov 2007
They won, and more training for final. Festival time. Lol @ Kouhai guys not letting them see red hair guy, and following him, though he is painful when remembering the memory of being in the group with them. The main guy talking about his feeling about wanting to relay with everyone. Then red hair guy joined the relay, too! Elementary school story next ep.?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 5, 2013 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
Rei was really funny LOL
It was good to see Haru's feelings in the end

I want to see more swimming competitions!
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Sep 5, 2013 5:11 PM

Feb 2011
"Mine's still racing!" These guyssss.

LOL Nagisa is like a Koala.

Is Nagisa saying that Rei is his date then, since he said that phrase to him? xD

Too bad Makoto and Haruka didn't wear yukata~ Same with Rin and Nitori. I really like Nagisa's!

Rei doesn't like being ignored, how cute. And he and Nagisa trying to distract Haruka!

It was painful to watch Rin struggling after the flashbacks. :( I thought for sure there'd be a confrontation between him and Rei.

I feel sorry for Nitori. @-@ It's even worse when a senpai notices you here and there but treats you like nothing all the other times.

That moment when Haruka says he was happy and Makoto's expression....ALL THE FEELS.

That End Card, funny and cute. <33
眠れないのは君のせい
Sep 5, 2013 5:12 PM

Jan 2013
They better beat Rin in the relay race, but with Rei on their team I don't know how that's possible.
Sep 5, 2013 5:15 PM

May 2013
It seems like Rin's jealous lol.

I lol'd when Rei suddenly wore that mask right after Rin looked back lol.
Sep 5, 2013 5:19 PM

Jun 2010
i hope they beat rin in the relay race. i hope to see a second season of this anime, it seems to be going too fast lol
Sep 5, 2013 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was great!
I'm so happy that they won. Seeing Haru smiling and Detective Rei was a huge bonus!
Seeing Rin almost cry made my heart break =(
I guess the next episode is a flashback episode - I can't wait!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2013 5:34 PM

Dec 2012
Well there's your standard festival episode with a twist. It was funny how Rei was tailing Rin. It looks like Rin really misses the days when he swam with the others. It was heartwarming when Haruka opened up to Makoto and finally sorted his feelings about why he wants to swim.
Sep 5, 2013 5:42 PM

Mar 2011
AndyRayy said:
They fucking hit me like a truck. I actually started tearing up and shit like wtf, this is not what I signed up for
Sep 5, 2013 5:48 PM

Jun 2012
Rei is too moe
Sep 5, 2013 5:59 PM

Dec 2008
For f**ks sake, Rin just let it go. You beat Haruka just like you wanted. What's wrong with you now? Go away. I'm getting tired of looking at you.
Sep 5, 2013 6:06 PM

Aug 2011
Villetta_Nu said:
For f**ks sake, Rin just let it go. You beat Haruka just like you wanted. What's wrong with you now? Go away. I'm getting tired of looking at you.

Unfortunately he won't be going away since he's one of the main characters. He's realizing that beating Haru is NOT all that he wanted, and this episode is the proof of that. I'm not sure how you don't see it since it's as a flying porcupine hitting you.

Edefrem said:
AndyRayy said:
They fucking hit me like a truck. I actually started tearing up and shit like wtf, this is not what I signed up for

I came into this anime expecting a fun, happy slice of life. As usual, life proves me wrong. Expectations =/= reality ;___; (it's really great though)

Rin's almost crying bit was the worst for me. Haru being honest was great. I swear, they're so good at making me mood swing.

I really want a second season of Free! I mean I can see how they could possibly go about it. They could make it more sports focused and have them compete at the Olympics, for example. It's all in my head though.
Sep 5, 2013 6:08 PM
Oct 2010
did haru sound any different to anyone? he did to me, maybe because i hadnt heard him speak much
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Sep 5, 2013 6:13 PM

Jul 2013
Rin is way too persistent, like seriously, there are other ways that he could go back to being friends with them instead of going against them in a relay race. Also, in the off chance that he beats Haruka, I'm pretty sure that'll be a negative effect, but I guess I'll just have to see how things go.
Sep 5, 2013 6:26 PM

Jun 2013
The first half of the episode was a little too angsty for my liking. It improved in the second half though, so I still really enjoyed it.

I felt bad for Rin, seeing him stumble like that. >.< Poor baby misses his friends, he just doesn't realize it yet. (Or maybe he does and he's just being stubborn) Detective Rei was cool, and...blatantly obvious... xD I'm honestly surprised Rin didn't notice him once, but I guess he was pretty caught up in his thoughts after all, so he's excused. :P

Also, I have a bone to pick with Nagisa...Nagisa, you cockblock...ohmahgerd.... *vents frustration* >.< Why does this have to just be a swimming/slice of life anime? xD
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Sep 5, 2013 7:11 PM

Jul 2012
Rei is the best Tantei-san LOL

Liked this episode a lot. Well done, KyoAni in the festive mood! I actually got a lot (A LOTTT) of feels (like the ones I got from every episode of Chihayafuru Season 2) which is rare. xD Rin's kind of sad to watch ugh.
Sep 5, 2013 7:39 PM

Mar 2011
Villetta_Nu said:

-He's upset because he's realizing that it's not beating Haru that he wanted, but instead it's getting to swim/be buds with him again is it not fucking obvious by now?

-Skip past the parts with Rin and that should solve your problem then ^^
Sep 5, 2013 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
Nice that we finally got some decent development with Haru. Rin's conflict still has a lot more impact due to him being the central conflict of the show though. Pretty well done overall.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Sep 5, 2013 7:51 PM
Dec 2011
Ahh Rei was too cute in this episode! I love how dorky he is and he doesn't even realize it xD
Overall it was a very sweet episode and it was nice that Haru showed a little bit more emotion. I also got sad watching Rin ;-;

(Though I can't help but chuckle sometimes since I can hear a bit of Tamaki in him >.<)
Sep 5, 2013 8:02 PM
Dec 2012
LOL@Rei putting a mask on. It was so quick.

Rin changed his mind. Seems like another intense competition comes soon.
Sep 5, 2013 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Rei is such a cutie!!!!! I really feel bad for Rin. He can't admit to himself what he wants.
Sep 5, 2013 9:17 PM

Dec 2011
Guess Rin joining the relay isn't a surprise. Ahahaha. He still can't get over Haru even beating him already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2013 9:55 PM

Sep 2012
It seems Haruka speaks more than what he said in all 8 previous episodes LOL

A good mix of humor and serious reflections, all with a natsumatsuri (summer festival) in the background.

And as I expected in the previous episode, Rin will enter the relay competition. I wonder who gets thrown out of the relay team to accommodate Rin LOL
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 5, 2013 10:58 PM

Dec 2011
I thought this episode was the best by far. To me, anyway. I was extremely happy when they won the relay and when Rin had the crazy face of jealousy as well.
During the festival Rin and Nagisa were so funny! It was cool seeing Haruka open up a bit and I hope they win regional :)
But damn Rin...you're the one who said you wouldn't swim with the guy ever again and then suddenly you decide you want to? Pick.
Sep 5, 2013 11:15 PM
Oct 2010
The feels in this episode and Haru actually being vocal about his thoughts. Rin blown away when watching Haru swimming in the relay.

Gou in yukata and her friend who giggled when Makoto praised them. Although, she was quick to comment if Makoto was referring to them or their yukatas only.

Metal Gear Rei.
Sep 5, 2013 11:52 PM
Mar 2010
Guys, I didn't sign up for this. I thought this would be some cutesy, funny, slice of life about muscular guys who are swimmers. I did not expect the angst, all these feels and all these tears.

Not that I don't like it. HARU LET ME LOVE YOU!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 6, 2013 1:22 AM

May 2010
I really loved this episode, and my Gou in a yukata! She is such a cutie, I would have propeosed right there coz she looked so beautiful. I reallly love her... Loved my Makogou moment, Makoto said she is cute. Go bro! I ship you two so much even if there isn't much hope of it being canon xD
Sep 6, 2013 2:37 AM
Jun 2013
These guys are so effeminate that it's making me want drop this show but since there's only a few episodes left I'll try to weather through. 6/10 from what I've seen so far.
Sep 6, 2013 3:27 AM
Jul 2018

Rin's in the relay!
No matter how I look at it, Rin is still hurt and jealous.
Sep 6, 2013 4:43 AM

May 2013
TragicRomance said:
Loved my Makogou moment, Makoto said she is cute. Go bro!

Your shipper goggles are mad tight, man.

Anyway, this episode was real cute. I loved seeing Nagisa and Rei dress up. Rei is probably the funniest character from any anime I've seen in a while.

Makoto was adorable this episode, as he usually is, and it was nice to see Haru express some emotion. I think he and Makoto are really cute friends. Then again, it may just be Makoto carrying all the cute.

Rin is nice and all, but he needs to kind of get over himself and just go swim with his bros.

Can't wait for the next episode. Shota Frees!
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 6, 2013 8:08 AM

Nov 2012
At first, I was getting a little impatient with Haru, but luckily Makoto has much more patience than I ^^.
Seeing Haruka come out and say exactly how he felt was adorable, I felt just as happy as his friends ^.^

I loved Rei in this episode~~but I felt the pain for Rin as he revisited the elementary school ;-; poor guy, just trade schools!

I also love the drive into the next episode with Rin joining in the relay! Can't wait!
Sep 6, 2013 11:49 AM
Aug 2011
Rin needs a hug ASAP
Sep 6, 2013 12:32 PM

Sep 2008
I wanted Seijuurou see Kou in yukata!
Buuu... >.<
Sep 6, 2013 1:22 PM

Apr 2013
I think this episode was just to fill sausage. Thought it was beautiful when Rin goes to his old school and remembers the past, he longs to swim with others and tears a pouco.Eu sorry for Nitori, when a senpai'''' realizes its existence but treat it as nothing.
Sep 6, 2013 2:11 PM

Feb 2012
This one felt kinda out of place, we don't need any festivals in this show man.
Sep 6, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
Sooo Rin wants to swim (on the same team) with Nagisa, Haruka, and Makoto again... I wonder if we will see that happening.
Sep 6, 2013 6:30 PM

Nov 2009
Aw, so Rin is jealous?

As always, Rei is the most embarrassing character.
Sep 6, 2013 10:23 PM

Oct 2012
OH YISS REI YOU SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND~ SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND~ Rei be muh nigga. Oooh dat sentai mask, Rei. SUPER SENTAI REI FUCK YEAH! moedesu ninja Rei.

I just love it how Rin just left Nitori. Yeah ditch that bitch, Rin.

Haru... wtf happened to you? It was so sudden. Well I like him a bit more now, I despised him most of the time.

Now Nagisa will turn out to be the bisexual pervert of the swim team xD

I forgot the rest, I get too concentrated on Rei and Rin. xD
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Sep 6, 2013 11:09 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was very enjoyable!~ Had a lot of emotions. They made it to regionals! <3 Yayy!!! I wonder what'll happen. O.o
Sep 7, 2013 7:35 AM

Aug 2011
Good episode with a mix of fun moment and some serious feel moment at the end of the episode.

Great to see Haru finally realize and says it out loud that he wants to swim with the rest of group and looking forward to it as well. Now I'm really looking forward to the regional final at the end of the show. The last three episodes will most likely be a mix of build up and some slice of life toward the final.

The girls in the yukata looks really good, and I'm a bit disappointed that Ama-sensei didn't come to the festival. But it was fun nonetheless.

Not a big surprise at the end to see Rin and his team entering the relay final for the regional final, the place for the final showdown has been announced! Looking forward to it!

Sep 7, 2013 8:39 AM

Oct 2012
It was not bad but Haru's personality and decisions are so pathetic, he is such a crybaby and he is sighing all the time (no way he is manly at all, those sentences he said when overlooking matsuri at night were so girly, naive and too childish for his age). Dialogue-wise he is the weakest chain of this show.
Sep 7, 2013 9:12 AM

Nov 2012
this episode was so funny and adorable c:
so rin really wants to swim the others again huh :( poor bb ~
rei was the best in this episode..
Sep 7, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
Rin was pretty pathetic this episode. And that grey haired guy is clingier than ever.
Sep 7, 2013 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
http://31.media.tumblr.com/f1e210f9af91ce95d83b17c9593be4fb/tumblr_msmblla0eN1s4176io1_500.gif

I think this is the best episode so far, imo. Rei and Nagisa were hilarious, the parts where Rei was stalking Rin (and Aiichiro as well I guess, lol is that his name, I don't remember...) I couldn't help but giggle every single time they didn't notice he following them.
Sep 7, 2013 3:48 PM

Jun 2008
DEM FEELS ; ___ ;
And awesomestep at the end!
And next time we get more background story :'3

On a side note, the greyhaired swimbuddy/roommate of Rin should stop being so clingy and whiny.
I was waiting on Rin to start yelling at him.
Sep 8, 2013 1:37 AM

Apr 2009
Rin is stupid, everyone else wonderful :)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.