Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 23, 8:10 PM

Aug 2021
Just from watching Free! as a person who is not attracted to men, I can guess people at Kyoani Studios knew what would appeal to the people who are attracted to men which includes straight women, bi women, and queer men.

>Muscle and Lean dudes who look beautiful who often show their bodies that does not violate their agency
>No fanservice of female character (Gou & Teacher)
>Plenty of homoerotic subtext between male characters to appease gay shippers
>Well-animated swimming scenes
>Detailed art style that looks good and male characters acting in a way that isn't relatable to male audiences rather them acting in a way similar to girls in CGCDT shows

Free! as a show does not have outstanding writing but it knew how to appeal a demographic other than straight men. I wish more battle shonen were like Free!
Sanjay63773Jan 23, 8:15 PM
Jan 23, 8:53 PM

Aug 2021
@__potato__ Yes, there is not a lot of shows that are like quite free in terms of appealing to women. Fan service being too much in male-targeted anime is an symptom of anime directors not taking women as an audience seriously
Jan 23, 11:00 PM
Mar 2021
also noticed how Gou respectfully exclaims her attraction to the men in the show. there are only a couple of times we’re she’s like “wow everyone’s muscles out at this swim meet are so crazy” instead of picking a member out of the main group to make uncomfortable (like most anime do that are obviously written for those attracted to females). it's sad to see creators spending so much time and effort on fan service that is gross and uncomfortable, so watching Free! really made me appreciate the lack of it.
Jan 24, 9:30 PM

Mar 2017
__potato__ said:
Whenever women complain about the amount of blatent and sexist fan service in 90% of anime, most of the time the response is "what about Free huh". Like yeah, the ONE show where guys happen to shirtless because they're swimming. What about the million shows on your list that feature GIRLS and women with zoom and enhance scenes of their boobs flopping all over the place whenever they take a step.

I was like 14-15 when I first "watched" Free and I didn't actually like it so it became something I only had it on so I could do homework while listening to my at-the-time fav VA.

True.
Unfortunately the amount of s*xualization of women in anime (or even games, movies and etc) is growing, as women bodies are selling better than men bodies.
Jan 26, 2:46 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Sometimes it seems to me that I am the only one who has watched Free because of the sport.
Jan 26, 4:53 PM
Oct 2019
Sanjay63773 said:
Just from watching Free! as a person who is not attracted to men, I can guess people at Kyoani Studios knew what would appeal to the people who are attracted to men which includes straight women, bi women, and queer men.

>Muscle and Lean dudes who look beautiful who often show their bodies that does not violate their agency
>No fanservice of female character (Gou & Teacher)
>Plenty of homoerotic subtext between male characters to appease gay shippers
>Well-animated swimming scenes
>Detailed art style that looks good and male characters acting in a way that isn't relatable to male audiences rather them acting in a way similar to girls in CGCDT shows

Free! as a show does not have outstanding writing but it knew how to appeal a demographic other than straight men. I wish more battle shonen were like Free!

I feel like you blew some things out of proportions here in your analysis. I am also a person not attracted to men, but this show brings something much more than fanservice.

Yes, I can't negate that which is obvious, this show is catered to a certain demographic, but it has a soul. You can say that the male cast acts more akin to how girls act around each other, but I'd say their behaviour is pretty neutral. No nasty 'boys will be boys' or overdramatized 'girlish' behaviour, just friends being friends regardless.

And yes, there undeniably is some gay bait sprinkled in, but it's never in a fetishised or sexualized way, it's very tastefully done. Most of the bait can easily be seen as very close friendship between friends very comfortable with each other (Rin and Sousuke, Haru and Makoto, Nagisa and Rei, Rin and Haru etc. They can all easily be seen as besties).

Every major character has their own struggle they have to overcome and they develop throughout the course of their story. It's nothing mind blowing (it's a slice of life story after all), but anyone can find at least a few characters they can relate to.

What makes this anime so strong in my opinion isn't only the beautiful animation, pretty characters or the story. It's interactions between characters and how those interactions change and evolve as they get to know each other more, along with the characters themselves changing BECAUSE of those interactions, as well as the unexpected friendships that come up as a result of their development.
Jan 28, 11:15 PM

Jun 2021
The demographics don't matter when the result of the show's quity is hot steaming garbage. It's just fujobait cashgrab garbage to appease horny women.

When I had a Tumblr I used to like and reblog lots of content but after the show sexualized CHILDREN on the High Speed novel and movie I removed everything Free! related manualy. Thank God this shitshow is over. One of the worst anime of all time along with Sword Art Online, High School DxD and Shingeki no Kyojin.

Now if you excuse moi I've got to wait to be unfairly reported by people how can't take criticism and think that offending the show they like is like offending them personally. Grow up legbeard femcels.

P.S. The OST is friggin' awesome but it doesn't salvages this shitshow from being a shitshow.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Jan 28, 11:19 PM

Jun 2016
Why do I find it massively unappealing though?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 3, 10:36 AM
Oct 2022
Sanjay63773 said:
I wish more battle shonen were like Free!

I agree.
I’m watching free and it’s great so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.