Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 8, 2007 11:14 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
oooo this is big timeline change
looks like the beginning of 20 century or am i wrong?
good ep anyway, i'm going to watch 11 asap and see what happens...
Oct 8, 2007 3:50 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Yes it's probably early Shōwa period. That though me for a loop too. I was like WTF?
Oct 9, 2007 3:31 AM

Aug 2007
Zomgs ghost cat is not amused. Such a great and obscure show, i should have started watching it sooner.

Oct 9, 2007 6:02 AM

Mar 2007
I love that the medicine seller doesn't age.

Awesome arc for the last one, I think.

Oct 29, 2007 4:04 AM

Aug 2007
Brand said:
Yes it's probably early Shōwa period. That though me for a loop too. I was like WTF?

Lol, I was surprised too. The stained-glass(?) door and mannequins were nice, modern touches. ^^
Mar 15, 2008 3:42 PM

Apr 2007
Interesting change of pace to jump into the early 20th Century (at least that's what it feels like), but a good set up to the final arc, doesn't look like it'll disappoint.

Also, is Chiyo supposed to related to Kayo from the Umibozu arc, or was there something I missed there?
Mar 15, 2008 4:57 PM
Feb 2007
Ben said:
Also, is Chiyo supposed to related to Kayo from the Umibozu arc, or was there something I missed there?

All of the characters are reincarnated versions of the original Bake Neko arc in the Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror anime, in which Kayo appears as well. (I highly suggest everyone to check that out btw)
Mar 23, 2010 7:02 AM

Feb 2010
Nice time jump.... it's cool that they decided to do such an extreme jump in time.

And i LOVE the fact that the medicine seller has not aged at all. hahaha.
Jun 21, 2010 8:24 PM
May 2008
The massive definitely through me for a loop, but it's nice change of scenery.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 2, 2010 8:07 PM

Aug 2009
MusashiRose said:
Nice time jump.... it's cool that they decided to do such an extreme jump in time.

And i LOVE the fact that the medicine seller has not aged at all. hahaha.

You avy and sig..... *mind blow!*

Its been a while since I watched this series. Its been on hold for a good while (last ep was 9 sometime last year)

This arc has started off great... I'm not great on commenting of eps these days lol
Aug 19, 2010 6:30 PM

Aug 2009
Wow. That was so captivating.
Nov 29, 2010 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Interesting))
He doesn't age so he is still alive (in 21st century). Is he wearing the same clothes?^^
Dec 23, 2010 5:32 AM

Apr 2009
MidnightReverie said:
Ben said:

All of the characters are reincarnated versions of the original Bake Neko arc in the Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror anime, in which Kayo appears as well. (I highly suggest everyone to check that out btw)

Really? Hmmm let's me juggle my clunky memory since I've watched Ayakashi more than a week ago. I remembered Kayo since she stood out in Ayakashi and Chiyo does resemble Kayo. The old master in Ayakashi looks like the Mayor in his younger days, maybe that other woman serving on that household could be Haru, the housewife on the train. The other samurai who survived in the end of the Ayakashi arc could be the reporter or the train driver, I'm leaning on the latter. The others were sadly forgettable for me even the woman whom the bakeneko on Ayakashi is seeking revenge for (parallel to Ichikawa Setsuko in this series).
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 27, 2011 11:14 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode, the atmosphere is incredibly heavy and, well, it's intense so far. I wonder if the Medicine Seller is immortal or something.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 5, 2011 11:06 AM

May 2010
I thought it was just the same era from the previous ones. lol

Mannequin characters + train signifies that the timeline is somewhat around the Industrial Revolution or something?

Not sure about those clothes though.

Anyway, great episode. I sense much horror here.

The cafe girl looks like the one from the Umibouzo arc. And Kusuriuri doesn't age?? Interesting..
Aug 31, 2011 1:42 PM

Feb 2009
"All the dots are connected." I can't wait to see just how are all of them related to the woman and what are the circumstancer around her death.
Glad to see that Medicine Seller hasn't changed through the years.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 3, 2011 4:05 AM

Aug 2009
Wow, I love the fact that they're using the same characters of the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi!
Dec 25, 2011 2:34 AM

Feb 2009
So this episode simply confirms what was already hinted before, the Medicine Seller is a never-aging non-human entity. I wonder if I'm actually gonna be told what exactly is "he", technically speaking :P
Jul 3, 2012 8:47 PM

Apr 2012
good stuff as usual. The first subway opened in 1927 so this would be from that time (the first in the East!)*. The brief arty flash of a "modern girl" dates it around then too (not that I'm an expert).

I liked his explanation for his anachronistic clothes as being just an olde-time gimmick to attract custom (also the mild flirting with the girl was neat).

*I just know this from watching the Doomed Megalopolis bonus features the other day ok

Aaaaand... did anyone else think his finger movements very "suggestive"?
BlackoutingJul 4, 2012 8:59 PM
Aug 16, 2012 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
Turb0_mugen said:
Wow, I love the fact that they're using the same characters of the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi!

Yeah, me too. It is impressive that they can use the same set of characters and basic premise and make it so different than the original Bakeneko arc.

Speaking of differences, the time skip here really did surprise me. I had wondered what they would do for a finale but jumping to this point in the future did not cross my mind. But, I like the change of pace - and I like the visual touches they used like having the "extras" portrayed as mannequins. Also, the Medicine Seller stands out even more now than he did before.
Oct 15, 2012 4:18 AM

Mar 2010
bakeneko is awesome
Jul 7, 2013 11:33 AM

May 2012
Interesting, a case slightly more in the future and what a location! A moving train with a BakeNeko! So lets see how this time the case will be solved!
Aug 29, 2013 2:15 AM

Mar 2012
Veethorn said:
So this episode simply confirms what was already hinted before, the Medicine Seller is a never-aging non-human entity. I wonder if I'm actually gonna be told what exactly is "he", technically speaking :P

Curious to find out as well.
Jun 15, 2014 5:13 AM
Feb 2007
Faaaak that episode was hella scary DD:
Jun 28, 2014 6:04 AM

Oct 2013
dam such a strange ep onto the next!!
[/quote]
Jul 4, 2014 3:57 AM

Aug 2013
Woah bakeneko 2.0? Saved the best for last eh?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 24, 2014 8:18 AM

Dec 2011
Haha it's funny that the doors were stylized for the beggining of 20th century!
Great beggining of arc, captivating episode.
Jul 30, 2015 10:26 PM

Aug 2014
The time change makes me wonder if Kusuriuri is immortal? Do we ever get to find out what he is?

The episode was nice, if not scary.

Ehh so it's Bakeneko again, wonder how this will go this time.
Jan 30, 2016 12:11 PM

Jan 2015
It wasn't the best episode I've watched so far but OK...
Apr 12, 2016 5:30 PM

Dec 2015
"train, what? a cat... what?".

Decent enough episode. The time skip was a little jarring but it's nice to have variety. Mainly in the art, I don't know why but this story didn't really gripped me.

seeingsasha said:

The episode was nice, if not scary.

The only really scary episodes were the first two in my opinion. The rest are interesting to watch but not scary.
Feb 13, 2017 4:49 AM

Mar 2015
Wow timeskip? And this was before the arc on the ship since Kayo already knows he defeated the Bakeneko
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 19, 2017 9:03 PM

Sep 2015
My eyes were fixed to the screen, my attention was ensnared, myself was immersed and surrounded by uneasy feeling as I watched this episode slowly built up its tension. Then suddenly, my eyes caught a peculiar red glimpse darting so fast across the screen, so fast even in my full attention I could not tell what was that.

Driven by curiosity I rewound the video and tried to pause it, hoping to hit the button at the right time so I can see it but alas, the scene was still too fast I couldn't comprehend what I saw even after a couple of tries. Not losing an idea, I decreased the video's speed this time and rewound it back. It worked, and as the reward my eyes beheld this picture, with a slow speed emerged into the center of the screen:

That experience alone, how I witnessed that event is enough for me to declare this episode as one of the best episode in this series.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Aug 13, 2017 11:29 AM

May 2016
I didn't expect a timeskip this long apart~ From the samurai era to the late 1920's without Kusuriuri aging a day from his unusual appearance. It's like the Demon Cat arc but with a modern twist lol

What impressed me the most is that I just noticed the mayor's corpse in the background coz of the post above. When I rewinded the scene myself, I was like damn how come I didn't notice...

The mannequins replacing the background characters were creative. Finding out how the cast of this arc was all connected together coz of an incident was fun to watch as well~

Oct 21, 2017 3:05 PM

Jan 2014
It seems the very first arc and this arc are my favorites. All the arcs in between were rather "meh." The arc dealing with the girl committing suicide was probably the worst one, imo. Although, that's not saying much considering I did think they were all good. But out of all of them, that was the worst.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 29, 2017 9:46 PM

Sep 2014
Zelev said:
It seems the very first arc and this arc are my favorites. All the arcs in between were rather "meh." The arc dealing with the girl committing suicide was probably the worst one, imo. Although, that's not saying much considering I did think they were all good. But out of all of them, that was the worst.

It's hard for me to decide, but I think the arc with the incense game was my favorite, something about that one just really clicked for me.

That being said, I quite like this show, it's a shame it isn't longer!
Dec 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Jan 2014
I don't like the fact that this episode takes place during the 20th century. It felt like I was watching another anime.

Also, this episode seems so colorless. Almost everything is brown, beige or black. Too monochromatic.

I think I'm not gonna like this arc. Sad, because this is the last arc, and I was hoping it would be the best.
Dec 25, 2017 12:30 PM

Jan 2017
The accent here lies clearly on mystery solving, really enjoyed that detectivesque vibe in it.

So we really did a time leap huh? let's see how this plays out, surely, it is interesting enough.

Bakeneko <3
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 27, 2019 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
oh time leap to the 20th century?? from like the 1200s (from pure guessing) to the 1900s, an odd timespan. lol did medicine vendors even exist in that era? does this also mean kusuriuri is immortal?
Feb 5, 2019 9:34 PM

Dec 2016
It is a known fact that any form of media that takes place on a train is good. This episode/arc will continue to prove it true lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 30, 2019 6:51 PM

May 2017
Prob my fav start to an arc yet. Love the timeskip, it gave the usual Mononoke hunt a fresh spin.

That one girl looks a lot like the girl from the boat arc, Idk if its pure coincidence
or with intent, have to look that up later
Jun 5, 2019 4:59 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, I was really surprised on this one and enjoyed the hell out of the last 10 minutes.

The Nue arc for me was okay, but it didn't entice me enough to dive into what my interpretation, or others, was. This episode was a classic mystery tale that I cannot wait to watch more of.
Jul 28, 2019 8:30 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
What an episode, not going to lie, I had to restart the episode at the midway part as I found it to be way too overwhelming with the colorful crowds. As soon as I got a decent attentive following with it, the intensity kicked in like it always did in the previous episodes, it's going to be a creepy ride on the subway.
Jun 8, 2020 2:12 AM

Oct 2019
So this time around we have a Ghost Cat in place to deal with as a Mononoke..

Interesting to see that we are in a different timeline from before..

All those people were connected to the case in some way or another..lets see what the Truth, Form and Regret are for this one..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Sep 27, 2020 11:32 PM

Jan 2017
Aaah I love the fact that it started with Bakeneko and is ending with it!

It really is fascinating how they used the same characters and plot, that somebody dies and the people related to that person can't leave cause if they do they die, and tweaked it here and there.

The original story was truly amazing so I wonder how this one ends ^^
May 12, 2021 4:00 AM

May 2020
A group of seemingly random people trapped in a train in Asia who are all connected in some way or another to a dead person.

I present "Murder on the Orient Express" - Japanese Horror version. I'm guessing Kusuriuri is now immortal Japanese detective/exorcist/medicine seller Hercule Poirot.
Jul 31, 2021 1:13 PM
Jun 2021
I love the idea of using mannequins, I see a sort of irony in it. A writer's joke to himself

The sudden cuts and the use of repetition (body of the girl/body of the mayor) are so stylish and keep the necessary frenzy. Really happy to discover this show, it's been an aesthetic delight so far
Jan 10, 2022 10:01 AM
Aug 2021
The timeline just changed drastically. I think this one's set in the Showa era(1920s to 80s ig). This of course proves that Kusuri-uri's not human(I mean he's got claws and elf ears as well). I like how this is building up so far. Also in Ayakashi, the BakeNeko arc is where Kusuri-uri makes his first appearance.
Oct 13, 2022 12:17 PM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
the mononoke is the cat yeah but it has to be like a manifestation of the girl who commited suicide by jumping in front of the train... because the cat in the beginning is wearing a cone collar so that's a giveaway. most likely the girl's pet? since they also mention a woman holding a cat. the cat (aka her) must hate the way she was treated..?
what the mayor did we still don't know

Nov 6, 2022 8:21 PM
Nov 2020
I really enjoyed the ending
Apr 3, 2023 7:30 AM

Nov 2010
The Medicine Seller can time travel? That's cool.
Anyway, very mysterious episode. I'm intrigued to know what the hell is going on.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

105 by iWonderman »»
Apr 22, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zanmato666 - Aug 4, 2007

98 by uzis_imperius »»
Feb 17, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Oct 11, 2007

134 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.