Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 28, 2013 11:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, this show is over.

Well, I would say that this finale was okay but wasn't anything too special. Ya, even the mom makes her usual grumpy appearance again. The talk between the two were kinda grumpy as well. Nice to see Kotoura-chan own her with that pillow :3 Lol @ Manabe and his perversions with attempted kiss. Oh God. Dem tears

I'll rate this series 5/10 for now.
Stark700Mar 28, 2013 11:34 AM
Mar 28, 2013 12:22 PM

Sep 2011
Strong start, but it had a weak middle and ending. What a shame 6/10.
TyrelFeb 27, 2014 8:03 PM
Mar 28, 2013 12:27 PM

Feb 2012
^ I agree the series had a very strong start imo but it fell short as it progressed it went from a 8/10 to 6/10 for me.
Mar 28, 2013 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
I loved this. 7/10
Mar 28, 2013 1:08 PM

Jul 2011
Now that's what you call a happy ending. :D

I knew her mom wasn't entirely evil. And I was hoping that she would come back to Kotoura, because in the end, Kotoura would be happy about that.

It was really a nice touching moment, when they were sleeping together.

I also loved the beginning where the Kaichou and Kotoura were talking about their "loves" it was hilarious.

In the end Muroto still doesn't know about Mifune's feelings haha, omg, feel bad for her, but it's funny still.

5/5 for the episode.
9/10 for the show. :D
Mar 28, 2013 1:11 PM

Feb 2011
5/10 ? ARE YOU FOR REAL ?!? FFS .

Great episode , best ending of this season . I feel so sad this finished :(

Almost teared up when her mother started crying , very emotional scene .

This needs a 2nd season ..... NOWWWWWWWWW

9/10 Great show .
Mar 28, 2013 1:14 PM

Jul 2012
I really liked it even though it wasn't too special, too bad it wasted the potential to be spectacular. Honestly I expected it to turn out this way from the get-go.
7/10 seems fitting

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Mar 28, 2013 1:14 PM

Aug 2011
Best episode after the first ones. Still it let me down on this whole police-arc.

6/10 in the end
Mar 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Jul 2011
UnbornMVs said:

9/10 Great show .

By the way that the OP spoke "Finally over" It's as if s/he was being forced to watch it. :/ (No offense OP)

And yes when she started crying and Kotoura reading her thoughts made a knot in my throat lol :D. It was like you sayd emotional.

And yes I would LOVE a 2nd season.
Mar 28, 2013 1:39 PM

Dec 2011
Oh. Everything worked out in the end. 6/10 for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2013 1:58 PM

Sep 2008
Good start turned into a generic pile of wasted potential.

4/10
Mar 28, 2013 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10
Mar 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Nov 2011
UnbornMVs said:

Yes for real. By now, you should know that people have different opinions on different shows. This episode was mediocre imo and so was this series. Deal with it L

As for the show, I thought the first episode was good but some of the later ones kinda fell apart. I am saying this because the way the show tries to mix in comedy with emotions and several times, I feel like it didn't work out right.

There is almost literally no character development from what I've watched and the penultimate episode's revelation was one of the weakest I've ever seen.

Also, I felt that some of the romance of this show lacked flavor and additionally, the emotions that the first episode had didn't get me through. The suspense is also weak and predictable. By now, you should probably understand that people have different opinions on the show. Kotoura-san is one show that I felt that didn't click through. It had its goods and downs but I felt the ultimatum of this series landed a mediocre for me.

I am glad that some people enjoyed this series. However for me? I thought it was meh. Now I'm curious on why you scored this a 9/10, care to explain to me? I'm waiting.
Stark700Mar 28, 2013 2:14 PM
Mar 28, 2013 2:08 PM
Jul 2012
Finally this is over, it was one of the most boring shows i watched, i just couldn't get entertained by this except for some comedy scenes even though the story had some much potential.
Mar 28, 2013 2:09 PM

Feb 2008
Terrible end to a terrible show. This episode wasn't as horrendous as last week's, but being better than filth is not a compliment. I cannot understand how anybody could rate this show any higher than mediocrity.

2/10
Mar 28, 2013 2:11 PM
May 2012
Well! that was one lame episode!!!
5/10
well the series was so so!!
6/10
the only thing i liked in this anime was the 1st episode and manabe!
sometimes i wonder!!!!whats the purpose of creating lame anime's like this! there are lot of animes where the first season is average but has a good plot!and good potential!
like i said i don't get japanese people!
Mar 28, 2013 2:12 PM

Oct 2011
4/10 (6/10 if we pretend that first 3 episodes didn't happen)

Big disappointment here - with staff like this (people behind YuruYuri and Mitsudomoe among others) it felt lacking. First it went with drama - which ended in a weird way with Moritani quickly becoming best friend ever (I do like her as a character so don't mind as much).
Than it went into not so funny comedy just to return in the end to the drama. And policewoman part... Moritani part was quite realistic compared to that.

Maybe if they would focus on one of things (drama or comedy) or make better balance here it might be more enjoyable.
Mar 28, 2013 2:14 PM

Jan 2011
Overall: 2/10
VioLinkMar 28, 2013 3:02 PM
[center]
Mar 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2010
Overall 6/10.

It had a very strong first episode that had me tearing up and laughing by the end of it. The bar was set high for this one after a performance like that. After episode 2 or 3 the show started dropping off into a weak and overly cliche climax. Left off with a decent last episode with some nice closure.

Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM

Feb 2012
The series started off strong and totally unexpected. I didn't let that mislead me though since I knew it wouldn't have the same tone for the rest of the series. My expectations remained low throughout so my enjoyment remained intact.

There were some things that bothered/annoyed me like Moritani being a bitch at the start then joining the gang, and Kotoura blaming herself repeatedly. The former I got over, but the latter annoyed me after the 2nd or 3rd time. Despite those 2 annoyances, it was good. Thus, 7/10.

Best part of this ep:

Giggity. If only! :D

ihateeveryone said:
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10
Can't really blame them though. This was the last ep so they had to fit all they could. It would have been better if they didn't do that detective arc and instead focused on Kotoura reconciling with her mom.

I havn't read the manga though so I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to go.
Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM
Aug 2011
Why is Muroto-kun always drawn like a dumbass?

So because she was little she could only read what was on the surface?
wow really.

Yes her mother was crying but the fact is she left her little girl and that girl suffered so much because of it.
Then you just make up over a pillow fight. Shit parent is still a shit parent.

Besides that detective arc is unforgivable. It was the most unnecessary thing this show could have done.
Mar 28, 2013 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
I just rushed through the two last episodes. It felt forced.
Mar 28, 2013 2:20 PM

Feb 2011
MoonxArtemis said:
UnbornMVs said:

9/10 Great show .

By the way that the OP spoke "Finally over" It's as if s/he was being forced to watch it. :/ (No offense OP)

And yes when she started crying and Kotoura reading her thoughts made a knot in my throat lol :D. It was like you sayd emotional.

I know right ? I entirely agree with you . It's just his masochistic desire to add another series to his list .
Mar 28, 2013 2:21 PM

Aug 2012
I'm mostly going to miss the OP i don't know why but i really like it other then that it was ok 6/10 or 7/10 still deciding

Mar 28, 2013 2:23 PM

Nov 2011
UnbornMVs said:
MoonxArtemis said:
UnbornMVs said:

9/10 Great show .

I know right ? I entirely agree with you . It's just his masochistic desire to add another series to his list .

This is a rather weak argument to my point. I enjoyed the first episode of the series and followed it through. Also, not every one uses the same scoring scale on MAL. Some people sees a 5/10 as mediocre, other sees as it as bad.

Now UnbornMVS, I am asking you to please state your reasons why you thought the show was worth a 9/10 as I have for mine. A lot of people have finished this show as well and gave similar ratings. Point out valid reasons for the show rather than resorting to ad hominem.
Oct 2010
The concept wasn't bad IMO, but hard to pull off well... and in fact it didn't.

At times it was good, at times bland, and at times kinda forced.

I still do not think it was a waste of time to watch it, and I certainly applaud the author's guts to try something like this... but somehow...

6/10. I would like to give it more... but I really can't.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller

Dec 2007
Kotoura-san? More like Downhill-san. First episodes were somewhat good but it fastly went downhill.

I blame the manga. If the anime didn't follow the manga like in the first 8 or so minutes of the first episode, and concentrated on the drama it could have been awesome really. The source material is simply weak and yet the anime is still way better than the manga even if it follows it mostly.

Verdict: Had some potential but wasted it fast. This is a good example of a show that simply didn't need to stick to the manga to be good. If it didn't stick to it, it would have been much much better.
Mar 28, 2013 2:27 PM
Dec 2012
Well at least I got to see characters cry or tear up 15+ times in 25 minutes.
Everyone know what's been said about this anime. 4/10 The last five episodes was a choir to get through.
Mar 28, 2013 2:27 PM

Feb 2011
Stark700 said:
UnbornMVs said:
MoonxArtemis said:
UnbornMVs said:

9/10 Great show .

This is a rather weak argument to my point. I enjoyed the first episode of the series and followed it through. Also, not every one uses the same scoring scale on MAL. Some people sees a 5/10 as mediocre, other sees as it as bad.

Now UnbornMVS, I am asking you to please state your reasons why you thought the show was worth a 9/10 as I have for mine. A lot of people have finished this show as well and gave similar ratings. Point out valid reasons for the show rather than resorting to ad hominem.

Of course I did it because out of all the other Winter shows this one kept me the most entertained . It had a great start and even though that drama was a bit lost throughout the series the end was still great . Also , I don't put so much weight on my scoring , only if the series I followed disappointed me completely and it ends up as a FAIL , just like Amnesia .
Mar 28, 2013 2:28 PM
Oct 2010
Nikolai_F_A said:
The last five episodes was a choir to get through.
A choir sung by Kotoura? XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Mar 28, 2013 2:29 PM

Feb 2008
UnbornMVs said:
Of course I did it because out of all the other Winter shows this one kept me the most entertained . It had a great start and even though that drama was a bit lost throughout the series the end was still great . Also , I don't put so much weight on my scoring , only if the series I followed disappointed me completely and it ends up as a FAIL , just like Amnesia .

You shouldn't attack somebody for disliking a show when all you have to defend is "I enjoyed it".
Mar 28, 2013 2:33 PM

Nov 2011
UnbornMVs said:

Amnesia and this show has no similarity. Again, point out some valid facts about Kotoura-san that you enjoyed and I might agree with you. If all you can come up with is "I enjoyed it", then your entire "argument" is invalid.
Mar 28, 2013 2:33 PM

Feb 2011
Veronin said:
UnbornMVs said:

You shouldn't attack somebody for disliking a show when all you have to defend is "I enjoyed it".

I don't see why I have to defend the series . I'm not trying to do that , he asked me why I rated it the way I did , and I told him my opinion about it , I don't have to point out the mistakes of the show like I do in reviews .
Mar 28, 2013 2:38 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Whiskey and pizza...pizza and whiskey.

I've drank a lot of whiskey, and eaten a lot of pizza, but never the two together. Now I feel like I've been missing something. Now I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow night.
Mar 28, 2013 2:48 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty good, but not THAT great.
Still, I really had a hard time deciding between 7/10 and 8/10 since MAL can't have a .5 rating...
In my personal "offline rating" I'll rate it just that, 7.5 but here I feel like it's a tiny little bit more 8 than 7. So I'll go with 8/10. It's a shame that it couldn't keep the brilliant niveau of the first episode, but it was still very entertaining to watch. I went with 8/10 because the ending was really well-made in my opinion at least.
It was...nice watching!
Mar 28, 2013 2:49 PM

Nov 2011
UnbornMVs said:
I don't see why I have to defend the series . I'm not trying to do that , he asked me why I rated it the way I did , and I told him my opinion about it , I don't have to point out the mistakes of the show like I do in reviews .

Then I stated my opinion as well earlier.
Mar 28, 2013 3:08 PM

Feb 2008
It's actually end happy one why should we feel disappointed.
I actually do feel a little disappointed from the beginning it was actually good, it's like they force it to end like this.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Mar 28, 2013 3:10 PM

Sep 2011
Stark700 said:
UnbornMVs said:

Then I stated my opinion as well earlier.

Lmao first time I've seen you get worked up Stark :D, but yes he's stating pretty bad reasons, but like you said OPINIONS. You have yours, and he has his, but the show was still weak.
Mar 28, 2013 3:16 PM

Nov 2009
Happy Ending!!!

Good to see the relationship between Kotoura and her mother building up again!!

Overall I think this series was decent enough to be enjoyable although it felt a bit dull in some parts of the episodes but nevertheless was entertaining series!!

Art: 8/10
Story:7/10
Characters: 8/10
Music: 7/10
Overall Rating: 8/10

Episode Rating: 4/5

Mar 28, 2013 3:19 PM

Feb 2013
Series started off strong but ended a bit meh.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Mar 28, 2013 3:21 PM

Mar 2011
12:

What a perfect ending to Kotoura-san, it really did everything to represent all the series. There was poor writing, poor use of contrived plot devices, the subtle as a bomb drama, and the clumsy end. I actually laughed at how poorly done it was.

So the mother.... right, so really, I don't get her. She apparently wasn't such a bitch all along, yet somehow she manages to keep up the bitch act even when it served no purpose. My god my reaction when her face went from normal angry mother >:( to :) happy mother.... my mouth was agape. Seriously, what?

The confession at the end was clumsy, however it was delivered fairly well, I'll grant the show that much. Everything else was just dumb.

The Series

Kotoura-san was never good, from the very start it was poorly done melodrama, followed by a clash of in your face perverted humour followed by in your face drama. To boot Kotoura-san had the same issue EVERY SINGLE TIME.

The humour is somewhat funny for the first 3 episodes, but then it gets boring. There is not much I can say about this show that is positive. Looking at all the episodes I've commented on I never liked it.

I'm going to be extraordinarily harsh and rate this a 3. I absolutely loathe how poorly it was written. I hate bad writing, and due to how in your face the show was, I can't even say that it's heart was in the right place, there was nothing earnest about it at all.

Yes fuckers, I rated it a 3, come at me bro.
InfiniteMar 28, 2013 3:25 PM
Mar 28, 2013 3:25 PM

May 2010
ahh!! this could have been sooo much better but they somewhat dropped the ball in the last 4-5 episodes. still i can not put this to all the 6/10 shows cause i would feel bad about it so i really have to give it a 7/10. i really enjoyed watching every episode..just some wasted potential here and there..
Mar 28, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2010
Kotoura and her mom finally made up and i knew that her mother was feeling regret about it no mother what she says she is still her mother and we all saw how happy she was right after Kotoura was born.
There way of making up was funny tho and very nice to see it was one of the strongest moments in this anime.
Speaking of the strong moments the first episode of this anime was very strong and this ending was pretty strong as well it's a shame what happened in between though.
The strong start and ending wasn't enough for this show to redeem itself everything that happened in between was just to lax to joyful and not much interesting happened it just didn't fit the first episode at all.
Drama and humour is a hard genre that's easy to mess up and this is the perfect example of where it went wrong that strong start full of good drama didn't fit the rest of the anime at all.
I can just talk about the start and the ending the rest of the anime was pretty bad i just have no other way to describe it.
Mar 28, 2013 3:27 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
FOO ON YOU! I think it was worth at least a 4...
Mar 28, 2013 3:31 PM

May 2009
DeadEnd2013 said:
Kotoura-san? More like Downhill-san. First episodes were somewhat good but it fastly went downhill.

I blame the manga. If the anime didn't follow the manga like in the first 8 or so minutes of the first episode, and concentrated on the drama it could have been awesome really. The source material is simply weak and yet the anime is still way better than the manga even if it follows it mostly.

Verdict: Had some potential but wasted it fast. This is a good example of a show that simply didn't need to stick to the manga to be good. If it didn't stick to it, it would have been much much better.

The fuck? They tamed material. In manga Moritani says to her thugs that she was raped, Manabe is stabbed and later uncouscious in hospital. Tsukino isn't the killer in manga, YES in manga few kids died.
I would forget. Whole first half of first episode is original material (still based story but it wasn't drawn).
In other words, check actual facts before writing shit.
Show is disappointing BECAUSE it diverted from manga.
bastek66Mar 28, 2013 3:34 PM
Mar 2013
Overall, I'll give it 7/10. It did have elements that made it stand out among the others, but it felt lacking in a broader story arc (and the detective story was pretty awful lol). I think it was an amazing adaptation for such a simple premise though. Hats off to the studio who pulled this off.

Dec 2011
10/10, due to the fact the characters are enjoyable (minus Kotoura's mom), the pacing isn't draggy and it actually engaged me.
Mar 28, 2013 3:32 PM

May 2011
Pfft, if it weren't for the first couple episodes, this could easily be rated higher.

Easily a 7/10 from me. I loved (almost) every moment of it! :)
Mar 28, 2013 3:32 PM

Mar 2011
Cratex said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
FOO ON YOU! I think it was worth at least a 4...

To be fair, even I felt harsh giving it a 3. I still stand by it.
Mar 28, 2013 3:50 PM

Jan 2011
This show flirted with greatness but was weighed down by the weak detective arc and failure to develop the characters. The first 10 minues of the first episode may have been the darkest and most unexpected opening to a sunny little romcom ever. I know it would have been difficult/impossible to maintain that throughout the show, but there were some powerful moments in later episodes that rose above a general level of mediocrity. While I really wanted, and the show would have benefitted from, a little more character development I found myself liking each of the main characters (and even feeling a little sympathy for the mother). Based on what I've read about the deviations from the manga, I can't help but feel that some of them (particularly the detective arc's) weakened the show.

In the end, I'm going to give it an 8 based on such scenes as the opening, Mifune's discovery of her mother's body, and Moritani's confession. I'm also weighing that this is an adaptation of a 4koma manga but it is impossible to tell that from the way episodes are structured.
rodacMar 28, 2013 3:58 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2013

196 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

299 by _untitled »»
Mar 11, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

456 by _untitled »»
Mar 4, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.