Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 25, 2011 2:30 AM

Feb 2009
That was the most surreal and and creepy Mononoke so far. For a moment there I thought the Medicine Seller was trolling those people :P
Jan 12, 2012 2:30 PM

Jun 2009
I'm just going to echo everyone statements about this arc. It was my favourite one so far in the series and the art was superb. I loved that the colours came alive when they were smelling the incense and at the end.
[/center]
Apr 17, 2012 6:26 PM

May 2009
Man, this anime just never disappoints. Another memorable arc.

That said, I didn't quite understand how each victim's actions (samurai killing fourth contestant, funny-nose guy killing the lady, and the other contestant presumably being poisoned by oleander) were related to the fact that they were already dead, the whole game was merely an illusion and that the Medicine Seller was acting all along.
Jun 22, 2012 5:03 AM

Apr 2012
great + funny arc.

I think the deaths were caused by the Toudaiji controlling the suitors some time previously, as the strength of the incense is such that it can play tricks with their minds by creating aural/visual hallucinations (suggested by "hearing smells" and the talk of memories etc). It had them kill each other and kept their souls oblivious, re-enacting the routine daily as it needed their interest in its magic properties to maintain its sense of self. Presumably those 3's deaths (usually) later reoccur offscreen in some way we don't see, or else they just repeat the tournament ad infinitum (not needing to die again), waiting for a new round then always failing to guess correctly.

All Kusuriuri did was break the cycle by confronting them with reality of their "crimes of passion" and making them consider the possibility of their own death, via poison. The act of possession probably made their actions not 100% explainable, like the way the 4th suitor was ridiculously provocative towards the samurai. (or something? either way the incense created illusions to maintain the deception).

masturbating hostess/frogs/picture of Shogun(?) - not sure i got all the symbolism there but felt it needed a mention :P

I meant to post this a month ago but fell asleep, so it may not be entirely correct.
BlackoutingJun 22, 2012 5:13 AM
Aug 16, 2012 6:49 PM

Apr 2012
Another short but sweet arc. And, this episode provided a nice conclusion with twists, a more extended transformation/unsheathing scene, a cool battle with the mononoke, and a beautiful scene where things returned to color at the end.

While I'll be sad to see this end after the next arc, I am looking forward to seeing what they provide as a finale for this show. It has been a fantastic watch up to this point.
Oct 14, 2012 5:54 PM

Mar 2010
Blackouting said:
great + funny arc.

I think the deaths were caused by the Toudaiji controlling the suitors some time previously, as the strength of the incense is such that it can play tricks with their minds by creating aural/visual hallucinations (suggested by "hearing smells" and the talk of memories etc). It had them kill each other and kept their souls oblivious, re-enacting the routine daily as it needed their interest in its magic properties to maintain its sense of self. Presumably those 3's deaths (usually) later reoccur offscreen in some way we don't see, or else they just repeat the tournament ad infinitum (not needing to die again), waiting for a new round then always failing to guess correctly.

All Kusuriuri did was break the cycle by confronting them with reality of their "crimes of passion" and making them consider the possibility of their own death, via poison. The act of possession probably made their actions not 100% explainable, like the way the 4th suitor was ridiculously provocative towards the samurai. (or something? either way the incense created illusions to maintain the deception).

masturbating hostess/frogs/picture of Shogun(?) - not sure i got all the symbolism there but felt it needed a mention :P

I meant to post this a month ago but fell asleep, so it may not be entirely correct.

+1 :p
ksuriuri was so badass in this episode,and how he made them realize that they're already dead was kinda funny+creppy at the same time.
about this mononoke i have to say that it was pure evil thats all...
May 9, 2013 3:28 PM

Apr 2008
I loved the effect of the scent bringing it all back to life - but only temporarily.
Jul 7, 2013 11:10 AM

May 2012
That ending was intense! Really nice to see the transformation once more and just the amazing action! Really good ending for this chapter, lets see what the last chapter will be like!
Aug 29, 2013 1:11 AM

Mar 2012
Fantastic episode, definitely my favorite arc so far. The twists always get me and the fighting in this episode was done beautifully.
Sep 6, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2013
Kusuriuri: "silly me, silly me" :))
Dec 16, 2013 5:40 PM
May 2013
This was truly amazing! I loved how the blood was orange, made me go look for the opening sequence of the last chapter - Jissonji's figure in the walls and the screaming - that was crazy.
Jun 15, 2014 5:19 AM
Feb 2007
Funniest episode. And most likely my favorite arc. Very clever usage of incense. I'm still not sure if I get how the incense game was played though.
Jun 28, 2014 5:39 AM

Oct 2013
his transformation is soo fucking bad ass
[/quote]
Jul 4, 2014 3:32 AM

Aug 2013
Everyone was already dead, the house was in ruins. That's just creepy >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 20, 2014 2:10 PM

Jul 2014
This is an amazing episode.

Kusuriuri trolling the dead. lol xD.

Damn dat Kusuriuri vs Nue was epic. Kusuriuri is badass as it gets. fucking epic.
Feb 11, 2015 8:11 PM

Nov 2013
wasn't expecting the whole thing to be an illusion.

good shit
Jun 19, 2015 8:23 AM

Sep 2014
This arc was truly awesome, I liked it a lot.
Jul 25, 2015 8:48 AM

Jul 2013
I just want to point out that the creature that killed the samurai was at least most likely modeled after "Dorotabo" which is a ghost of a hard working farmers spirits who's heir wasted his life work.

Adds another layer to that character.
Jul 30, 2015 8:31 PM

Aug 2014
A perfect episode, a scary one too. The later half was creepy. Seeing the illusion fall apart afterwards was amazing. (How many graves were there? At least a hundred, no?)

The transformation/fight scene was amazing as always.

The dog was cute!
Jan 29, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2015
That got really creepy in the second half there.
:)
Jan 30, 2016 5:45 AM

Jan 2015
It improved a lot.

4.3/5 for this arc.
May 4, 2016 8:14 PM
Nov 2013
Best episode! It was actually scary! It continued the color vs greyscale motif. The transformation and fight at the end was amazing!
Jun 8, 2016 12:02 AM

Apr 2015
Hmm interesting. This arc went out from it's formulaic method that the former arc told. The Mononoke 'Form' here isn't actually showed until the end, and there's no foreshadowing about it either, although it's pretty weird seeing how that Kusuriuri know that all of them were already dead and also the cause of their deaths. Best arc so far nontheless.
Aug 26, 2016 8:50 AM

Jun 2016
Well, that was relatively straightforward horror compared to the last couple of arcs. Still fun, though. The artwork, as always, was beautiful to behold. Also, definitely the most awesome-looking exorcism! The ending of the battle was hilarious, though. XD
Feb 13, 2017 4:26 AM

Mar 2015
Wow that escalated so quick towards the end and then suddenly. Just ended.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 18, 2017 6:57 PM

Sep 2015
This was my favorite arc so far. Had to do a bit of reading up to fully appreciate it. Even then it was a bit confusing. But it was tense, exciting and the ending was so great and unexpected. I liked how it didn't draw attention to how each of the three suitors resembled a part of the Nue. Though maybe it thought it was super obvious to Japanese viewers. And I liked how cold and bleak it was both visually and tonally. The Medicine Seller's agenda and empathy for humans has been kept deliberately ambiguous throughout the series. And in this arc with its dead wintery scenery, he was at his coldest. Showing no sympathy for the admittedly horrid suitors. And not fixing much besides destroying the Mononoke of the arc. It was a good way to approach the penultimate arc I think.

This episode was very visually dynamic and strong. Which considering I thought the last one went over the same plot points one too many times. Was a refreshing change. The incense contest was particularly grippingly animated. With the suitors appearing dull and colorless until they got a whiff of the incense and then brightening. The monster at the end was also one of the coolest yet. Though it didn't look too much like how I imagined a Nue would. I can't believe there's only one arc left. But I'm quite excited for it.
Aug 13, 2017 7:29 AM

May 2016
It was such a funny episode for the most part last time then it suddenly escalated so high to the point of me asking what the fuck in horror ;~;

The funniest one killed someone after being called dumb, the tiny dude murdered the lady for getting off to the drawing of the dude she prefers getting screwed by, and the last one who stayed greedy til last second got poisoned by Kusuriuri... That twist when the Nue log was making the dead souls which actually amount to about a hundred repeat a dreadful loop to keep her pleased, making everything look like it was back then using the scent of incense was my favorite twist yet.

I giggled when he was fighting the mononoke with chaos all around then it suddenly went silent and *pop* the log was chopped just like that lmao

Oct 21, 2017 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
Lol the anticlimatic cutting of the wood. Funny.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 10, 2017 2:43 PM

Dec 2016
Illusion~

That was incredible :) I'm enjoying this so much more than I ever thought
Dec 25, 2017 12:06 PM

Jan 2017
What a sinister conclusion. I really enjoyed this episode, i think it was played out in a very subtle way; the mystery surrounding it was such that i couldn't have guessed that it was the 'toudaiji' behind all along.

I really loved when he brought the truth out and again, the musicalization in this episode was sublime. Also, i love the sword form, it's so freaking enchanting and magnificent.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 21, 2018 8:29 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
That was freaking brilliant. The art execution, comedy, and reveal of the plot in bits was phenomenal. I love getting mind blown every episode.

I think Kusuriuri knew all along because he had no desire (or knowledge) of the Toudaiji and so he was able to see what was really going on through the illusions.
Jan 27, 2019 8:35 PM

Jun 2015
i think.. this entire anime needs a rewatch for me
Feb 5, 2019 9:23 PM

Dec 2016
That episode was a trip to say the least lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 28, 2019 8:26 PM

May 2017
holy shit this arc was amazing, what a mindfuck this was.
all the arcs have been fantastic so far, except the first one maybe

also the way he went epic and shit vs the mononoke/Nue and transformed and then the next thing he cuts the wood in such an anticlimactic way, that had me lol
Jun 25, 2019 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
Best episode so far.

I was wondering in the previous episode why only kusuriuri-san and the hat, nose and katana where coloured.
Now everything has sense.
Whatever is coloured exist while the rest is an illusion.
Jul 20, 2019 10:03 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was a fast-paced one, quite the fun arc too, but still didn't scale up to the first two. Although it probably had a better fighting scene with him fodderizing the Mononoke by his badass transformation.
Apr 3, 2020 7:06 PM

Oct 2019
The Japanese chimaera arc is my favorites so far. There were a few funny moments as well as a scare in this episode(there was one other episode that scared me like this but I can’t remember). Also Kusuriuri killed it as usual!
Jun 8, 2020 12:52 AM

Oct 2019
Damn so all of them were killed by the Mononoke and made to play the game day in and out unaware that they are already dead..

Really good Arc this one too..probably my 2nd favorite one..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jul 29, 2020 1:22 AM

Feb 2019
That fight was one the beautifulest fight I have ever seen In my life man those colours and all this arc would be my fav from here on.

[/B]Kusuriuri: "And so .. the scent expires."[B]
Nov 4, 2020 5:33 PM

Mar 2020
Whenever I begin to question the quality of this show it always manages to redeem itself in some way. Pretty good arc overall, though the previous one will probably always be my favourite for how many interpretations the ending has.

It feels good to be watching this again, even if it's still jarring as hell. I want to understand this show, but the absurd directing and heavy reliance on Japanese folklore has made it something really hard to be engaged by.
May 12, 2021 3:39 AM

May 2020
The entire thing being an illusion caught me off guard but there was a subtle hint in the last episode. Kusuriuri played the "Illusion" deck in the game they played in the last episode.

This arc was the best one yet for me. It was by far the most interest setting-wise and also had a simple and straight forward story.
Jan 10, 2022 9:28 AM
Aug 2021
So the whole town is an illusion, it's just a abandoned town. The Mononoke(Toudaiji) had taken the form of Ruri,the old lady and the girl. The three suitors were killed a long time ago and their souls were playing Kumiko over an over all this time. The plot for this one was quite easy to follow and that fight scene was wonderful.
Oct 13, 2022 2:54 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
SubscriberSun said:
The Medicine Seller's agenda and empathy for humans has been kept deliberately ambiguous throughout the series. And in this arc with its dead wintery scenery, he was at his coldest. Showing no sympathy for the admittedly horrid suitors.

Well he's not sympathetic because they're already dead anyway, it wouldn't change anything

As obvious as it was yeah the little girl (+old lady) were the mononoke but at the same time not quite... bc I didn't expect it to be a shapeshifter. I just expected the little girl to be the mononoke as Riuri's ancestor to kill for revenge reasons but it happened to be just greedy and plain evil lol.

Dec 19, 2022 11:35 PM
Feb 2021
really great arc. I feel like it was about accepting the truth of who you are and not looking for others to change that
Apr 3, 2023 6:51 AM

Nov 2010
This is my favorite arc so far. I like the creepy atmosphere and the twist at the end. There was also decent action. I really thought The Medicine Seller had engaged in murdering people for the first time. lol
I want incense that can give me illusions!
Jun 24, 2023 1:58 PM

Nov 2012
Bro pulled a Gogeta with that transformation and throwing a rainbow at em
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Sep 7, 2023 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
i really enjoyed the intensity of this episode
Oct 4, 2023 9:42 AM

Jan 2020
It was a mesmerizing chapter from beginning to end, from the incense game to the battle against the Nue. By far the best chapter to this point.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jan 12, 7:22 AM

Jun 2020
I still like the second arc the most but this arc was pretty close to be first. The atmosphere was amazing and this arc had more of a creepy feeling which is I love
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

105 by iWonderman »»
Apr 22, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zanmato666 - Aug 4, 2007

98 by uzis_imperius »»
Feb 17, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Oct 11, 2007

134 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.