Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 19, 2013 8:16 PM
Aug 2012
I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards Kokuriko! But to each their own. It's by far my favorite Ghibli film and the only one I've watched so many times. I even bought the DVD (and I'm one of those people who NEVER buys DVDs for anything because I'd never watch them again...). Love the soundtrack and the animations, as always!

Also as kbeeney...Funimation doesn't actually MAKE anime. They just translate/distribute stuff...
Nov 7, 2013 5:42 AM

Oct 2010
That was really nice and chill.

It's so relaxing to just sit back and watch a nice movie where the world isn't at stake, no ones life is in danger and the characters are all extremely likeable.
Dec 17, 2013 9:48 AM

Aug 2008
kbeeney said:
i know this movie was aimed at kids but i still thought it was a let down even the animation was not as good as a typical funamation or genon.
what?
Dec 31, 2013 6:26 PM

Mar 2013
I liked all the "possible incest" part. not so funny but still pretty entertaining. 7/10
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 20, 2014 11:50 AM

Oct 2012
Wonderful Ghibli movie, it had the feels, it had the nostalgy but at the same time it wasn't overly melodramatic. It did its best to capture the mood of sixties in Japan though the story was a bit predictable. But it doesn't matter cause it managed to deliver its centerpiece idea just fine - to not forget our past no matter what. And that is something iconing, especially for postwar Japan.

I never thought I would say it but... way to go, Goro!

9/10
Feb 24, 2014 9:15 AM

Aug 2010
Very creative. Soundtracks are awesome. Art is astonishing. As expected of a Ghibli.

That brother sister thing caught me off guard for a moment there. Glad it didn't turn out to be that way. That scene on the ship with the captain ALMOST brought me to tears T~T. I like that feeling of reuniting friends that haven't seen for a long time.

Simple, Melodramatic, Beautiful. Even if its not the best Ghibli around I still give it credit.
May 12, 2014 10:26 AM

Sep 2008
It was a good portrayal of 1960s Japan. Though I did find myself feeling bored in some parts.
May 12, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
As a musician, I absolutely loved the OST (dat jazz!!!! dat clarinet!!! dat blues!!!). It wasn't that special in terms of story but it managed to make me interested to the end. I really wished there would be some kind of epilogue at the end with their children looking at the photos. That would've been cute. But yeah, the romance was great. Much better than the romcom shit that's currently airing right now.

My few complaints would be: lack of characters. The protagonists aren't particularly interesting. I wish it could have added a subplot with other characters and spiced up the story. Secondly, the climax wasn't that climatic. IMO, the climax is the train scene but it was too subtle to be a climax. Thirdly, as some others have said, the introduction part was way too long. It should have been only 15 minutes max.

For a movie, it's an 8/10 for sure. So yeah, 8. Might alter rating down if the other ghibli movies blow this away.
Jun 30, 2014 1:12 PM
Dec 2013
I love this movie Studio Ghibli strikes again.
Aug 3, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2013
It was an ok movie. I kinda expected they were going to pull off a "winter sonata" thing there. The ending didnt really gave me much satisfaction. 7/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 3, 2014 7:05 AM

Feb 2014
A very beautiful movie. I couldn't remember how many times I have re-watched this.

Nov 21, 2014 8:45 AM

Oct 2013
Xynic said:
It was an ok movie. I kinda expected they were going to pull off a "winter sonata" thing there. The ending didnt really gave me much satisfaction. 7/10
I totally agree with u.

Dec 17, 2014 9:21 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Pretty good. The animation and sound were the best parts, but the story itself was just lacking in comparison.

My favorite aspect of this movie was anything relating to the clubhouse. i really liked the clubhouse design.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Dec 20, 2014 12:58 AM

May 2010
I thought this film was going to be about a sailor being separated with his childhood lover because of a war. I was so wrong lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 4, 2015 7:14 AM

Jun 2013
SimmianPrime said:
That was really nice and chill.

It's so relaxing to just sit back and watch a nice movie where the world isn't at stake, no ones life is in danger and the characters are all extremely likeable.
Apr 5, 2015 6:36 AM

Jun 2013
I enjoyed watching this movie and I loved it. The music, animation and art are impressive. I also liked the story. The ending satisfied me too. Good job, Studio Ghibli.
Jun 3, 2015 9:29 PM

Mar 2015
Really nice ambiente and perfect use of music.Presentation wise it was nothing special and I doubt many people,especially younger viewers, really care about the themes Miyazaki wanted to talk about(:/) but that doesn't make the movie bad.While I'm not that much of a Ghibli fan,from what I've seen,I really liked this movie.

mayukachan said:
As a musician, I absolutely loved the OST

you special snowflake you ;)
Jun 8, 2015 6:26 PM

Jul 2011
Confucius said:
I thought this film was going to be about a sailor being separated with his childhood lover because of a war. I was so wrong lol

That misleading cover picture, eh? No tragic love story here. Nothing about the Olympics either.

It was a bit lackluster, especially the reveal. But I liked it. My first impression of Shun was absolutely wonderful, that endearing daredevil.
Jun 26, 2015 4:55 AM

Nov 2011
needed more of umi's dad
he's one hell of a handsome fucker

jus lyk makoto

but hey, other than that...

...GEE

95 MINUTES OF BORING

you know what

Gorou should just kill himself

basically, the shit his dad doesn't want to work on gets thrown to him
the fuck mane he's WASTING Ghibli's money
Jul 9, 2015 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
Total letdown despite its amazing soundtrack and like most Ghibli films it being stunning visually I still felt like this film was a watered down lesser version of the far superior whispers of the heart.
linkjokerJul 9, 2015 9:06 PM
Jul 29, 2015 12:42 AM

Aug 2013
nauticalblue said:
What a gentle and lovely little film. I'm glad I finally sat down and watched this one. I loved how it brought its settings to life in such a subtle yet vibrant way. All the little details, the bustling in the background, and the art came together wonderfully to capture the atmosphere of the seaside town in the 1960's. I really liked that though it felt very realistic, it also had a little sense of whimsicalness to it too, particularly surrounding the clubhouse (not to mention the wonderful sense of community surrounding it too). And the soundtrack... I absolutely loved the soundtrack and the jazzy vibes it had.

I have to say, as soon as we got to the brother-sister thing about midway through, I immediately thought, "Whaaaaaat?! Did they really just pull that card? Eh, oh well, they're going to reveal they're not really siblings in the end." I feel like the "oh, you're related... just kidding" idea is so overused and beaten-over-the-head, but the relationship between the two characters was so sincerely portrayed, I couldn't help but forgive it, because it's not very often that I see a relationship developed so genuinely. I like that it was still used subtly and not as a source of melodrama. Plus, I found our two leads very endearing and likeable.

This is far from the best Ghibli film out there, but it's a very commendable effort from Goro. It's quite a bit different from the direction of most other works that the studio is known for, but I actually quite liked it. I enjoyed this film quite a bit, and even though there are some weak points in storytelling, the way it brought to life its setting is enough to make up for it, in my eyes. It's an 8/10 for me.

Very nice post and I agree with the thoughts you've written here. +1
Oct 9, 2015 10:44 PM

Oct 2015
Saw this with dubs for the first time, and was really sad... I felt it altered how some of the characters (especially Mizunuma and the philosopher guy) were portrayed from the original. One of the worst Ghibli dubs from my perspective. But anyhow, I liked the movie overall. Not something amazing story wise, but conveys a good lively message of hope - or at least so I thought. The Latin Quarter scene is my favorite.
Nov 17, 2015 2:44 PM

Dec 2012
How in the heck does SHUNsuke KAZAMA not voice SHUN KAZAMA? Is there an interview that explains this or was it done on purpose to get reactions like mine? lol
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 10, 2016 11:22 AM

Mar 2010
It was nicd but not as nice as other ghibli films 7/10 its about a 7,5 but an 8 is just a tad too high
Jan 31, 2016 8:24 AM

Dec 2014
a light headed and very enjoyable movie
Mar 8, 2016 8:01 PM

Apr 2009
Okay movie. The vibe of it, and the setting of Japan anticipating a major global event in the years following the war, made me want to read 20th Century Boys again.
Mar 14, 2016 6:35 PM

Feb 2014
Was planning on watching The Wind Rises but appparently that movie disappeared form my house. Oh well! Anyway, I liked this movie (watched the dub)! I'm glad that they didn't end up being siblings after all, but I wish they could have kissed! Very glad that they explained why Shun was sent to that other family for "re-adoption" because that was one of the things that was bugging me for a while (she can't care for her son so she gives him to another family, yet she goes and has a daughter after that...?). Good closure overall, but I thought that the final talk with the Captain was kinda underwhelming...

8-9/10, pretty good! That good Studio Ghibli consistency was certainly present here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2009
While the plot wasn't anything spectacular and the animation wasn't great I thought the characters themselves made up for it and I particularly enjoyed all the Latin Quarter sequences. The soundtrack sounded very cheesy to me but it's not my kind of music really. Overall it was better than I was expecting for a slice of life type film, 7/10.
Apr 9, 2016 9:10 AM

Feb 2012
Really wish the story had the courage to keep them siblings rather than invent a contrived backstory in which they're not.
Apr 30, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
Well I have to say despite the direction being a tad rough in the second half, I think Gorou has improved a little from his last works.

I enjoyed the french theme portrayed, even if it gave me mixed feelings in the setting it was pleasant for the time period the movie is set in. I loved the nod to The Steve Allen Show featuring Kyu Sakamoto. It aired in 1963 and this movie was set the same time before the 64 Tokyo Olympics. Sukiyaki is a great song.

The quips from the cast early on were very pleasant and gave me a few good laughs in that high school sophomoric way.

What makes this movie lessor to me. I think it lost some steam halfway with the incestuous elements and a bit of a dull conclusion to the background of the flag raising. I felt some cast were wasted and things felt rushed towards the end. On top of the fact that they backed out of the incestuous plot which made it feel contrived and pointless drama. (noting: I assume the reason Disney passed on this one was they couldn't make the incestuous nature lessor, as creative integrity to Ghibli films is a must to the studio)

Overall it was a nice movie, it just isn't as strong as I expect Ghibli movies to be. Lacking a well though theme and overall meaning this slice of life left me wanting more substance or at least better drama. I give it a weak 7 out of 10.
Nonchalance_Apr 30, 2016 4:00 AM
Oct 11, 2016 9:23 AM
Jan 2016
After one re-watch this film still is same for me... 9
Oct 12, 2016 3:50 AM
Oct 2016
My favorite slice of life :)
Oct 18, 2016 10:52 PM

Apr 2016
I like this movie more than I expected! I did not enjoy Howl's Moving Castle from Studio Ghibli, so I was concerned I'd have a similar reaction to this film... ^^

At first, things started out slow. It was fairly obvious that our two protagonists would develop feelings for each other. But when Shun thought he was Umi's brother - LOL!! I didn't know what to do anymore x(

Suwamara was a very sweet man. This film depicts the feelings of the aftereffects of war so well... People did have forged identities due to the war. It was touching when Tachibana met his two friends' children; he said it felt like he was meeting his friends again and he felt so happy :-)

I love Shun's coolness in the film! The way he held onto Umi when she jumped on the ladder, and when he had his arm around her (hand on the railing) on the boat... ^^

Overall, I like the flags' significance in the film. Umi felt closer to her father by doing so, but the flag also brought Shun to her... Umi is proud of her father, which I feel anyone would if their relative(s) contributed to the war. :)

I found the students' unity as they worked hard to clean up their clubhouse adorable! LOL at the students' tears when they knew their clubhouse could stay!! xD
Dec 18, 2016 6:38 PM

Jul 2009
Not what I expected ... decently cute characters and good music, but I felt the animation/art was not as nice. Felt more "simple". Plot was sort of a surprise, it was sweet but I don't know if I really liked it. The surprise incest thing was well, a surprise, but then they made that not an issue after all lol :P I was surprised that was included in a Ghibli film but I guess they made it not to be a thing after all lol. Overall not one of my favourite Ghibli films but it was a relaxing watch. 7/10
Dec 28, 2016 1:56 AM

Jun 2013
Love these kind of settings, back in olden days of Japan during the Showa era.

Lots of feels but the ending wasn't as surprising as I expected. Felt kind of empty at some parts.
臭い-
Jan 29, 2017 4:25 PM

May 2015
It was fine I guess. Stunning music, but the story was nothing special.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 10, 2017 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
God, this was so good. Simple yet so compelling!
And the cover art is so misleading.
Aug 13, 2017 9:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Interesting and nice film that transport us to a epoch, hard epoch for the country and the love of two young friends that they thinks there are brothers, but the true is very different!!!
I think is a personal story, because the scenaries, the persons although the city seems remenber of the author when he was young, i think this, and is possible i mistake xD

The young love story was interesting,the characters is arround the girl, students, family and guess, have their own personlity to create a complex world, but al them full of colours, happy colours..... the world have problems, but this high school had problems too, the stundents don´t want the change, but the change is invetable...end the old and the new can coexist ;)

7/10 for this personal "rembenber"
Aug 19, 2017 2:43 AM

Aug 2013
TicklingThoughts said:
I enjoyed watching this movie and I loved it. The music, animation and art are impressive. I also liked the story. The ending satisfied me too. Good job, Studio Ghibli.

Actually, I found the animation to be pretty bad. It looks like a full 3D rotoscope. Comparing to other Ghibli movies and generally anime, animation here looks wooden and unnatural, sometimes even "robotic".
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 25, 2017 3:37 AM

Apr 2016
I think the story was great. Although some people think that the art is not really good, the film was still really good for me!

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Dec 14, 2017 2:25 PM

Oct 2015
Was alright but the romance was not there for me, I never felt the love between Umi and Shun besides for me they really looked alike.
I am glad though they were never siblings( which was predictable) but they still creeped me up and the director never went deeper with their relationship, making this comfortable.

So 5/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 17, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2017
Beautiful little film with a great soundtrack. Definitely not one of Ghiblis best, but very good nonetheless.

8/10
Dec 29, 2017 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
literally nothing happened.
Jan 14, 2018 7:03 AM

Oct 2013
the main characters were so memorable
Jan 29, 2018 1:49 AM

Jan 2012
Incest averted! or The Quartier Latin is Saved! might have been two alternate titles to this film, but then I suppose both woulda gave away the ending. XD Anyway, this was absolutely wonderful. Vastly superior to Goro Miyazaki's previous film Tales From Earthsea, and quite possibly the most beautiful looking Ghibli film I can remember seeing. Mind you aside from Only Yesterday I don't think I've actually sat down and watched a Ghibli film, start to finish, in 2 or 3 years and I'm currently riding an emotional high, but still the backgrounds for this film were absolutely beautiful. And even that doesn't feel like it does them justice. The details inside the Quartier Latin or at the markets was just....just wonderful. I was getting some Howl's Moving Castle vibes from the interior of the Quartier Latin especially. And I mean that as a compliment. I was getting some serious Lupin III vibes from the male character designs. But then Papa Miyazaki did work in that franchise so that shouldn't exactly be too surprising. Now the story...well it was sweet. And the ending was just what we wanted. I could definitely see the incest plot point possibly turning people off, but I was fine. I actually started tearing up when Umi found out the truth from her mother and then when everyone was presenting the restored Quartier Latin to the Chairman. Damn it was all so beautifully sweet and touching. I want to give this a 9/10, but I'm looking at the scores I've given other Ghibli films and I'm not sure it would all fit. Did I really like this better than Howl? Or Princess Mononoke? Or Nausicaa? I just don't know. It's been so long since I've seen some of these other Ghibli films I would be ranking this above if I did give it that 9. Oh fuck it, I can always change it later as the need arises. 9 it is! XD
Mar 11, 2018 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
Although the film has a good narrative as well as rhythm and timing, it is weak with regard to the protagonists, who have little bite, the events are many, but ultimately reduces to talk only about the events of the two protagonists, leaving little space to the many characters visas. It was nice to see this slice of Japanese history of the sixties, thanks above all to the fabulous graphics quality of the backgrounds and the soundtrack, but I would have preferred a more exhaustive ending. It's a good movie, but it's not the best of Studio Ghibli, and if we take into consideration the fact that it's Miyazaki Gorou's second film, I think the previous film is better.

8/10
Apr 26, 2018 10:07 PM

Aug 2007
I decided to give this a rewatch. I saw it back when it was first dubbed.
I watched it subbed this time to see if it changed anything but... eh. It's just a very average film for me. 5/10

Apr 28, 2018 12:15 PM

Apr 2015
just another great anime movie from studio Ghibli.
8/10
4th times getting signature banned wtf
May 9, 2018 1:48 PM
Aug 2017
Goro Miyazaki should step aside and just let his father do the movies... This movie has absolutely nothing to offer apart from your generic "love despite the possible incest" theme and it was plain boring to watch. It was extremely cliched and cringey.

Umi and Shun didn't even know each other that well yet, then he suddenly said "welp, we're siblings, so let's go back to being friends" what the hell? You weren't even friends to begin with. When and how did you two even decide you were in love? They completely ignored this and pretended the only problem was that they were supposedly siblings and the whole thing started to focus on that. Also Umi saying "I love you even if you're my brother", meaning they'd still go for it if they WERE siblings, was utterly gross.

And umm... why did Umi's dad adopt Shun, only to give him away for adoption again? Shun's dad who raised him said the guy who gave him to him was his real father, but appearantly not the real REAL father. He adopted him from a guy who adopted him. You know this adoption cycle was just an excuse to make them look like siblings and then go "Sike! They're not siblings, now they can be boyfriend and girlfriend lmao" is that shit supposed to warm my heart or something? What even is the point of this story?

The problem isn't just the story, the directing was really bad too. You can tell the obvious differences in style of directing between him and Hayao Miyazaki and see that his son clearly lacks the same talent. The soundtrack was good but none of them except one suited the scene they were played in. It didn't give the feeling it was supposed to give because of the bad timing, and come on, timing the motions and audios in a way they'll go smooth together is the basic rule of directing. -We get it bro, Sukiyaki is the famous song of 60's, even I knew that song before I watched the movie, but just because the movie is also set in the 60's you didn't have to use the song twice in scenes that had no relation to neither the lyrics nor the rhythm of the song. That was so cheesy. I also realized some of the transitions looked so unnatural and the directing just generally failed to catch that good visuality despite the nice drawings.
Aug 28, 2018 12:29 PM
Jan 2016
9/10 for me. It's not the best from Ghibli but still this movie is really good. I really enjoyed it! 😍
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Rank your top 3 favourite Ghibli films

Reckless_weeb - Mar 18, 2022

40 by Netik765 »»
Apr 19, 11:02 AM

» Do you think this is similar to "The whisper of the Heart"?

nambroo1401 - Sep 8, 2021

3 by lemon1melon »»
Sep 8, 2021 7:32 AM

» Why has nobody fansubbed this yet?

Spacenoid - Jun 21, 2012

8 by arsonal »»
Jun 27, 2012 11:56 AM

» Sayonara no Natsu ~Kokurikozaka Kara~

tsubasalover - Jun 8, 2011

1 by Naruleach »»
Dec 22, 2011 7:02 PM

» First Trailer

sentiarii - Jul 2, 2011

3 by calorie »»
Aug 18, 2011 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.