3It was OK
14.7%
2Disliked it
3.2%
1Hated it
1.6%
Average 4.3
313 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 21, 2012 4:04 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Music is Jazz feel, which is nice.

This movie talks about the main guy and main girl falling in love, and about their fathers on ship (mysteries on who is which father). At first they thought falling in love is impossible but it's possible.

Even though the voices are somehow weird for non seiyuu doing them, but I think I can accept them (especially the main guy is voiced by one of the members of V6, idol group).

The megane guy, the student council rep. (who was Yugi) has a nice singing voice.
KinetaSep 10, 2012 12:14 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 21, 2012 7:00 PM

Mar 2011
Just finished the movie. It was a pretty good watch. I particularly enjoyed the soundtrack.
Jun 22, 2012 8:38 AM

Dec 2009
I found Kokurikozaka Kara very enjoyable! Comments I've read which allude to the film's "slow pace" and unremarkable characters, I believe, are misrepresentations of it's subtlety.

Besides being beautifully drawn, great care was taken in the characters' facial expressions and body language. These were not mere cartoon characters. They were real people in animation form. I found the lack of the typical fare of exaggerated reactions to be refreshing.

Care was also taken in creating the feel of the time in which this story takes place. Of course there were visual cues, as well as references within the dialogue, but the stories secondary to the main arc made for a rich, immersive experience.

I don't often re-watch shows/films, but if I happened upon this somewhere down the line, I don't think I'd have any trouble getting into it.
Jun 22, 2012 9:19 AM
Sep 2011
The acting was very subdued and down-to-earth just like the whole movie itself. The romantic subplot with the misinterpretation could have been incredibly melodramatic if done wrong but thankfully it remained realistic thanks to the mature and level-headed protagonists.
Jun 22, 2012 3:45 PM

Nov 2011
It was a nice watch, with a good accompanying soundtrack and setting. It had the nostalgia of other Ghibli films, like that of Whisper of the Heart, but not nearly as memorable, both in story and characterization.

What it lacked was a clear theme. The activism and Latin Quarters affair was fun, and the sibling situation was somewhat interesting, but there wasn't a strong enough connection between the two. The two events involved the two main characters, but the relation ends there, and isn't enough.

I also felt more could have been done with the setting, but that's minor. The Ghibli faces also bothered me a bit more than in the other movies, because of the sibling situation. Albeit being a bit lacking and disconnected, it was a fine movie, with the usual charm of a Ghibli film.
MissileSoupJun 22, 2012 3:53 PM
Jun 22, 2012 4:24 PM

Aug 2011
I actually really liked it! The setting was beautiful and I loved the scene in Tokyo near the harbour and the train where Umi told Shuu that she still liked him.

I didn't so much like the whole "Oh my god we're siblings so we can't be together. Oh wait, we're not, yay!" plotline but I guess it turned out okay. The ending song was great.
Jun 22, 2012 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
I REALLY LOVE THIS!
Before, I read that a lot of people overestimated this movie so they felt a bit disappointed while watching this.
When the trailer was out, I knew I would already love this. Today, I try not to expect too much of this, but it turns out that I really don't mind if the story was super simple or mundane. I really like this era in Japan. I like Ghibli (especially like kind of character design). I like it when there are students in Ghibli's works. I like strong protagonists. I like Aoi Teshima. I like pure and sweet love. I like how the people are differents than how they are now. This movie is perfect too me and bring a smile to my face. :)

Between, did anyone notice that the big boat is called Ghibli?

Question: Why does everyone call Umi "meru"? Mail?

KuriniJun 22, 2012 5:28 PM
Jun 22, 2012 5:23 PM

Oct 2011
I loved it, it feels great that father and son managed to make this together even if seems that it was a real struggle for them both according to the NHK documentary...

Anyone know where I can watch the documentary with English subs? I've found it here, but no subs -_-

http://wildgrounds.com/2011/12/22/the-making-of-ghiblis-from-up-on-poppy-hill/
Jun 23, 2012 12:56 AM

Jul 2007
This was just perfect to me. I enjoyed the subtlety of the storytelling, and the artwork was superb. Who could forget Umi and Shun, and the biggest character of all: the Latin Quarter clubhouse?

I think part of the reason for the negative responses I've been seeing is that many Ghibili fans are more accustomed to the fantasy and action of Miyazaki Hayao's films, which have become so synonymous with the studio. They have big, loud stories and characters that have inspired even the most unaccustomed viewer of Japanese animation.

But this isn't exactly an unprecedented work for them. What this film really shows off is Ghibil's consistent attention to detail and passion for their art.

Personally, I have a passion for slice-of-life tales and so was absolutely enthralled by the simple stories being told in this film. I couldn't get enough of the clubhouse especially, and the film warrants a rewatch just to catch all that glorious detail a second time around.

In my opinion, this surpasses Ponyo (though I adore that film as well), which was painted in such big strokes and had those loud characters, but didn't have quite the level of visual detail as this. In fact, Poppy Hill is a fine follow up to Arietty, which was also an incredibly detailed film.

I think this is a fine sign of things to come at Ghibli, and I look forward to their next masterpiece.
<---made of awesome!
Jun 23, 2012 6:20 AM

Feb 2011
This is as of now my 2nd favorite Ghibli movie after Whisper of the Heart, it's so very enjoyable.
Jun 23, 2012 8:12 AM

Oct 2011
Kurini said:

It's a wordplay. “Umi” means “sea” in japanese, and “meru” (pronounced “mer”) is the French word for “sea”. That connects to the French that is established in the title: "Kokuriko" is “Coquelicot”, "poppy" in French.
Jun 23, 2012 12:33 PM

Aug 2008
hempo22 said:
Kurini said:

It's a wordplay. “Umi” means “sea” in japanese, and “meru” (pronounced “mer”) is the French word for “sea”. That connects to the French that is established in the title: "Kokuriko" is “Coquelicot”, "poppy" in French.

Ohhh! I see! Thank you so much for clarifying this! It makes sense now. Even though Meru doesn't sound like "mer" at all in french. XD
Jun 23, 2012 3:56 PM

Oct 2011
Kurini said:
hempo22 said:
Kurini said:

Ohhh! I see! Thank you so much for clarifying this! It makes sense now. Even though Meru doesn't sound like "mer" at all in french. XD

Fair enough, my french mostly consists of words that are replaced by various characters due to censorship xD
Jun 24, 2012 9:27 PM

Jun 2009
Personally, I enjoyed this movie a lot. The scenery, soundtrack, the voice acting, even the characters were perfect to me (even though some people say they weren't as memorable as others), but the storyline about being siblings but then nope they're not it's a little cliché and has been used so many times in movies and series.

Even though, they managed to give a good ending to it, and thank god it wasn't all about Umi crying because they were brothers. I liked how she got over it and just continued with her life.

Also, I appreciate this kind of ghibli movies, were there's nothing "magic". Just normal people with "normal" problems and lifestyles, like in Whisper of the Heart.
Jun 27, 2012 1:50 PM

Sep 2009
I'm not the fan of Ghibli. Or more correctly I don't really fond of their main "fairytale-like" stiorys. But this one was really good. Maybe I should watch Whisper of the Heart now.
Jun 28, 2012 1:06 AM

Jul 2009
If you're curious, the flag signal that keeps reappearing in the film means "Have a safe voyage."

Also, when Shun first hoists the flags from the tug boat, the triangular flag above these two is the answering pennant, which means he is replying to Umi.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jun 28, 2012 2:14 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I'm a sucker for Ghibli movies and this one yet again made me smile. I really enjoyed the story and art. It was an emotional roller coaster of seeing whether or not the main characters were siblings or not. I'm probably over rating it, but I give it a 9/10.
NaruleachJun 28, 2012 2:18 AM
p r o f i l e 👀
Jun 28, 2012 10:20 AM
Nov 2011
Can't say it was much better then mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly good either. On the same level as Arriety. It had a surprising lack of creativity for a Ghibli film.
Jun 29, 2012 3:30 PM
Sep 2011
Kurini said:
I REALLY LOVE THIS!
Before, I read that a lot of people overestimated this movie so they felt a bit disappointed while watching this.
When the trailer was out, I knew I would already love this. Today, I try not to expect too much of this, but it turns out that I really don't mind if the story was super simple or mundane. I really like this era in Japan. I like Ghibli (especially like kind of character design). I like it when there are students in Ghibli's works. I like strong protagonists. I like Aoi Teshima. I like pure and sweet love. I like how the people are differents than how they are now. This movie is perfect too me and bring a smile to my face. :)

Between, did anyone notice that the big boat is called Ghibli? Yes I did, a lovely story, I didn't want it to end..

Jun 30, 2012 1:28 AM

Oct 2011
egoplant said:
Can't say it was much better then mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly good either. On the same level as Arriety. It had a surprising lack of creativity for a Ghibli film.
Completely agree.

To put it simply, this Ghibli was LAME.

Nice ending though.
The ending tried too hard to make up for the lame movie.
Jun 30, 2012 10:08 AM

Dec 2007
Very good film. Compared to other Ghibli films this is closest one to the good old "Whisper of The Heart", my favourite out of Miyazaki's works. I love how naturally can they depict romance.
Jul 7, 2012 3:37 PM

Oct 2007
Naruleach said:
I'm a sucker for Ghibli movies and this one yet again made me smile. I really enjoyed the story and art. It was an emotional roller coaster of seeing whether or not the main characters were siblings or not. I'm probably over rating it, but I give it a 9/10.
This is one of the show where I didn't mind over rated it a bit. It worth it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 18, 2012 6:48 AM
Feb 2011
Lighthearted and simple storyline, but not to the point of boring. I enjoyed it a lot. That was one strong, dedicated student body right there. I thought Ghibli would overstep boundaries and showcase love between siblings, and I was sort of hoping that was the case, but I guess it would be risking a lot. The lively atmosphere and the soundtrack are my favorite things from this movie.
Jul 20, 2012 12:03 PM

Aug 2009
Im sorry, Im slow as fuck...

Are they related or not?
Or is that unclear?? -o-
Jul 24, 2012 1:44 PM

Jan 2012
Finally got to see this movie. And I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was fun, it was good, it was interesting. I liked the characters and the plot, the ending satisfied me too. Great work.

Aug 7, 2012 10:16 PM

May 2008
Lulexiaa said:

Are they related or not?
Or is that unclear?? -o-

They're not, as confirmed by that guy from the photo (and by her mother earlier).

Although, her dad's friend could be lying to protect him... who knows.
Sep 7, 2012 11:44 AM

May 2008
It was yet again a wonderful Ghibli movie, much better than Arietty in my opinion. First I found the brother-sister thing a bit different what Ghibli usually presents but the plot managed to remain realistic and avoided being melodramatic. Music was amazing so the mood was given from the start.
I absolutely loved it :3
Oct 27, 2012 8:52 AM

May 2010
Enjoyed the movie. The music, art, and animation are really good. Has the nice slice-of-life feel about it.
The storyline could have been better, though I liked the Latin Quarter affair. 8/10
Nov 3, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2009
It was alright. Like someone said, there wasn't much relation between the Latin Quarter plot and the sibling plot outside of it involving them both, and that could've perhaps been done differently/better, but it did have that all-conquering Ghibli charm that works from the opening minute to the final seconds.
Ara ara.
Jan 9, 2013 1:09 PM
Jun 2009
MagEarwhig said:
Lulexiaa said:

Are they related or not?
Or is that unclear?? -o-

They're not, as confirmed by that guy from the photo (and by her mother earlier).

Although, her dad's friend could be lying to protect him... who knows.

...Or to protect them (and their love). Notice how Umi's mother meets with Shun's adoptive father in a scene prior to the conversation on the ship? Guess we'll never know.
Feb 16, 2013 4:03 PM

Jun 2009
Wow
I loved this movie. It wasn't overly dramatic. I loved how the music helped with the setting. But I wish it had been a bit longer.

Still liked it though.
Feb 22, 2013 5:24 PM

Dec 2012
The music was good. I'm happy they weren't siblings because it would have sucked
Mar 22, 2013 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
I think this movie is getting overrated by some of you. It was good at best. It was a nice story but there was really no conflict or tension built up at all. It was just going along at a slow pace. I wasn't particularly fond of the soundtrack either and I usually love most classical/jazz OSTs. It was meh
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 25, 2013 5:10 PM

Oct 2009
Really nice and down to earth. Not the best Ghibli movie out there, but definitely not the worst either. I enjoyed it a lot.
May 9, 2013 3:23 PM

Sep 2007
Lovely film. Good music and super voice acting. Very impressed.

May 24, 2013 8:58 PM
Oct 2007
I went in a little fearful since Goro's last film was a disaster. But this was actually a pretty good time. It isn't nearly as great a film as whisper of the heart, the other well known slice of life Ghibli film, but it is a good watch. What I would say is that this film artwise was very plain, and lacked detail. I guess they were trying to make it like a painting. If it wasn't a Studio Ghibli film, I imagine people wouldn't be criticizing it as much
May 31, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
Similar with zeroryoko, I'm skeptical since it's another of Goro's film but it's a pleasant surprise. Given, Earthsea's plot and it's heavy reliance on building up atmosphere is a recipe for disaster for first time director whereas Poppy Hill is a straightforward show that have enough contents to last through it's entire duration. Heck, they even shorten it to 1 hour and 30 minutes to accommodate the story rather than forcefully prolong it. While the soundtrack are passable, the ending theme hit the nail on the head with it's heavy resemblance to Laputa's ending theme. That was simply terrific.

While I ponder between an 8 or 9, I gave it the benefit of doubt since the official sub pretty much ruin the show. Anyone who had watched enough anime will lament at how badly they handle the translation. Would've enjoyed it more if the translation are more consistent.
Jun 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Apr 2009
zeroryoko1974 said:
I went in a little fearful since Goro's last film was a disaster.

I didn't know he directed this until I saw the opening credits and I cringed a bit. >_< Having read Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea novels, I remembered that Gedo Senki was definitely not from Earthsea or wherever Gedo Senki's setting is. XP I think Segoy would have unmade it with his words or something. LOL At least this time I have to agree that this movie was better, an improvement for Goro.

The music and the songs were great especially Kyu Sakamoto's piece since I have fond memories of it. The Latin Quarter was also a good side story by itself. 8/10 because I enjoyed it overall.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 26, 2013 12:35 PM
Jun 2013
I have to say that I really liked this film. When it comes to my favourite Ghibli films, this one's tied with Spirited Away. While Spirited Away is obviously the better-made movie with its complex story, animation, and characters, I like From Up on Poppy Hill just as much for its subtle simplicity.

Some don't feel there's a connection between the two main plots of this movie (the Quarter Latin and that whole brother-sister thing) but after a couple of watches, I see that there is. From what I see, the entire point of both plots is that while it's good to move forward, never forget your past. Even if bad things happened, it is still a part of your history, and it has shaped who and what you are today.

The Quarter Latin represents Japan's sometimes painful and regrettable past, and the issue of whether or not it should be preserved or remembered. The issue of Umi and Shun's parentage makes things a bit more personal for them. It's only once they understand their past that they are able to move forward with their lives.

I could go on more about this, but I won't. To sum things up, I guess it can be said two ways, "Whether or not you know and understand your past can impact your future in ways you never knew." Or, "Know your lineage, 'cause you never know if that person you're dating is your sibling!" XD

By the way, I loved the music too, especially Kyu Sakamoto's "Ue o Muite Arukou"!
"You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I'm trackin' 'em down as we speak." ~ Osaka, Azumanga Daioh
Jun 29, 2013 3:42 PM

Dec 2009
Kye7 said:
egoplant said:
Can't say it was much better then mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly good either...
Completely agree

To put it simply, this Ghibli was LAME.

Nice ending though...

I'm with you guys for the most part, I enjoyed it for what it was but it felt like it took an hour before the story really got started then it quickly ended. The animation, characters, soundtrack, were really good. Unfortunately the story was very thin (could be told in 20 minutes instead of 90), felt rehashed, & was predictable how it would end.
RyanBebopJun 29, 2013 3:52 PM
Such junk...
Jul 3, 2013 9:27 PM

Jun 2012
9/10

Wow that was fantastic, it was a bit slow in the beginning but yeah I was well done. The plot, the soundtrack and the characters really pulled you in. The romance was extremely sweet as well. This movie makes me believe that Ghibli will still be in good hands even after Hayao Miyazaki is no longer here.
Jul 5, 2013 11:39 PM

Mar 2012
What a gentle and lovely little film. I'm glad I finally sat down and watched this one. I loved how it brought its settings to life in such a subtle yet vibrant way. All the little details, the bustling in the background, and the art came together wonderfully to capture the atmosphere of the seaside town in the 1960's. I really liked that though it felt very realistic, it also had a little sense of whimsicalness to it too, particularly surrounding the clubhouse (not to mention the wonderful sense of community surrounding it too). And the soundtrack... I absolutely loved the soundtrack and the jazzy vibes it had.

I have to say, as soon as we got to the brother-sister thing about midway through, I immediately thought, "Whaaaaaat?! Did they really just pull that card? Eh, oh well, they're going to reveal they're not really siblings in the end." I feel like the "oh, you're related... just kidding" idea is so overused and beaten-over-the-head, but the relationship between the two characters was so sincerely portrayed, I couldn't help but forgive it, because it's not very often that I see a relationship developed so genuinely. I like that it was still used subtly and not as a source of melodrama. Plus, I found our two leads very endearing and likeable.

This is far from the best Ghibli film out there, but it's a very commendable effort from Goro. It's quite a bit different from the direction of most other works that the studio is known for, but I actually quite liked it. I enjoyed this film quite a bit, and even though there are some weak points in storytelling, the way it brought to life its setting is enough to make up for it, in my eyes. It's an 8/10 for me.
nauticalblueJul 6, 2013 1:00 AM
Jul 8, 2013 2:54 PM
Jul 2008
The UK is finally able to see the film in the cinema, hopefully. Less than a month to go until 2 Aug and there are a few art house cinemas llisting it. None of the major chains have posted any show-times so far.
Aug 1, 2013 6:52 AM
Jul 2008
Still not many cinema's showing/listing Poppy Hill. The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is showing it 2nd to 8th Aug (language version unknown at present). The last weekend of August it is at the MAC at Edgbaston, Birmingham (Japanese language).

Not very hopeful for the general release Studio Canal had implied. Please support the cinema release if at all possible. After the Arrietty farce some cinemas are reluctant to show 'limited interest' movies. Every heard of contacting local anime groups eh? Studio Canal? Promotion works wonders. One showing in my part of the West Midlands and no one knew about it, 9 came to see it and three of us only found out by accident.
Aug 2, 2013 10:57 AM
Aug 2007
wrrlykam said:
The UK is finally able to see the film in the cinema, hopefully. Less than a month to go until 2 Aug and there are a few art house cinemas llisting it. None of the major chains have posted any show-times so far.

Yeh, I only even found out that it was being released in the UK when I saw glimpses of Ghibli characters in a "Summer of Cinema" advert whilst in an Odeon cinema a couple of weeks ago (this advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXkLLzGvWw).

I then found out what it was called, and then with a bit of research found out when it was being released here. I was really disappointed to then find out that it was nowhere to be seen on Odeon's listings.

However there are a bunch of art house cinema's around London showing it, and I managed to see it today in one of them (Curzon soho, if anyone is interested). In Japanese with English subs no less! Very pleased.

As for the movie, seeing as how this was the first time I've seen anime at the cinema, I was definitely not disappointed with the visuals. Everything was really detailed and vivid. Attention to detail was excellent.

In terms of the story, it was quite a basic one, but enjoyable anyway.. kinda wish there was more because it felt like it had a very abrupt ending.. there's a montage bit somewhere around the middle of the movie, with newspaper articles and still images advancing the story with music playing in the background, I think that could have been expanded a bit.

Which brings me to the music. It was awesome, like most people agree on here... well worth a listen on its own..

Also. Studio Ghibli sure knows how to create a cute girl.. I mean, sure they all look almost exactly the same, but still.. there is one particular scene when Umi looks amazing, I can't remember exactly when it was, but if I ever rewatch this I'll post it up here..

Anyway. I really enjoyed this.. probably more because of the fact that it was at the cinema. I give it a 8/10.
Sep 2, 2013 12:26 AM

Jun 2012
Well as expected I didn't like it, but I don't really like Ghibli films. I am amazed by the details in the art, the soundtracks, the animations, and obviously the creativity, but I highly dislike the plots (because it barely seems like there is any conflict, and it can be kind of slow). I'm usually falling asleep from this studio's films, but they're just not my thing and I know exactly why, so I hope to avoid any arguing.

And this film didn't really have much imagination either, as it was realistic.

7/10.

Sep 12, 2013 2:54 AM

Jul 2007
This movie was not quite as complete as i would of hoped and even goro admitted to failing as a director during the press conference.

Goro really put it down more so then i would of even though, their were deffinitly some great moments in the movie so it was not that bad. Perhaps the most depressing moment in the japans history is when the movie was in production was during the devastation of the earthquakes and the tsunami so they really had a large delay in the production process and i guess they admitted to that it could of have been better.

Still i really loved Aoi Teshima's song of "summer of Fairwells" and during that harsh time in japan, it kind of was actually fitting for that setting. Even during the press conference, everyone was crying. Kind of a sad moment as a director to create a film during such times, but they pulled through and thats pretty amazing.

To bad the direction of the story was just not that well put together, as it was realistic, it never gave the sense of being something with inspiring characters in the plot like other studio ghibli films.

Their is not that many studio ghibli films that actually have a more original realistic setting like this film does, but whisper of the heart is one such film that is sort of like that one, but its story, characters, and everything was just really solid.

Of course i commend the music and art, its absolutely the strongest elements in the movie. The world felt really alive like all studio ghibli films do.

Sep 16, 2013 9:31 PM

May 2012
First and foremost, the soundtrack is amazing. Nice compilations! Animation is good and story not that bad. And good thing that they are indeed not siblings. But the highlight for me was the students nationalistic vibe which is really admirable. The dudes at the clubhouse are really interesting.
Sep 25, 2013 8:00 AM
Oct 2012
i know this movie was aimed at kids but i still thought it was a let down even the animation was not as good as a typical funamation or genon.
Oct 12, 2013 4:42 PM
Sep 2011
Just watched in English dub on watchcartoonsonline.com Excellnt film
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Rank your top 3 favourite Ghibli films

Reckless_weeb - Mar 18, 2022

40 by Netik765 »»
Apr 19, 11:02 AM

» Do you think this is similar to "The whisper of the Heart"?

nambroo1401 - Sep 8, 2021

3 by lemon1melon »»
Sep 8, 2021 7:32 AM

» Why has nobody fansubbed this yet?

Spacenoid - Jun 21, 2012

8 by arsonal »»
Jun 27, 2012 11:56 AM

» Sayonara no Natsu ~Kokurikozaka Kara~

tsubasalover - Jun 8, 2011

1 by Naruleach »»
Dec 22, 2011 7:02 PM

» First Trailer

sentiarii - Jul 2, 2011

3 by calorie »»
Aug 18, 2011 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.