Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2008 2:57 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
In This Episode princess Marie is introduced to the French court noble customs. A particular conflict arise between her and countess duBarry, the king's mistress, where Oscar is forced to take side after her Mother was assigned by the King as a "Lady in waiting" for countess duBarry. What do u think Oscar's reaction will be? and how she will resolve this conflict?
yma981Sep 26, 2008 5:19 AM
I will Try to realize my dreams with someone precious to me tomorrow.
Now I will set forth on a new life with this in mind. (Saiunkoku Monogatari S2 Ending)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/yma981
http://myanimelist.net/profile/yma981
Oct 19, 2008 8:49 AM

Aug 2008
This ep is dramatic, REALLY DRAMATIC. I think a lot of women would enjoy this episode. It is highly dramatic and screams daytime Emmy. That’s right, apparently this episode is a soap opera one! And I still thoroughly enjoyed it!

Lady Antoinette (“Crown Princess”) vs. Countess duBarry (“Whore-Slut”) = EPIC RIVALRY
Nov 15, 2008 9:02 AM

Apr 2007
I'm trying to figure out what being a "lady in waiting" entails? Does that mean she made Oscar's mother her personal servant? I don't see Oscar playing along and siding with duBarry but at the same time I'm not sure how she can reverse a direct order from the king.

Edit: Nevermind, Wikipedia to the rescue
Wikipedia said:
A lady-in-waiting (also called waiting maid) is a female personal assistant at a noble court, attending to a queen, a princess or other noblewoman. A lady-in-waiting is often a noblewoman of lower rank (i.e., a lesser noble) than the one she attends to, and is not considered a servant. Their duties varied from court to court.

Guess that clears that up...
tainteddonutNov 15, 2008 9:11 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Dec 30, 2008 10:44 PM

May 2007
Oh wow duBerry is evil, not that she wasn't provoked abit(really the aunts are using Antionette) but still.

I blame the Duke, he is evil.
My anime list
Aug 6, 2011 1:59 AM
Jul 2018
Fantastic opening few eps to this show. Awesome
Aug 12, 2011 8:40 PM
Apr 2009
pretty interesting show so far though it gets really cheesy with the whole glitter n' glamour thing. but that's to be expected from a show made in 79-80.
Sep 1, 2011 4:26 PM

Feb 2010
I see some epic rivalry coming up here.
But her mother was really right about Marie Antoinette when seh said she's not much of a deep thinker. She just seems like the person to get herself on more trouble than she can handle because she doesn't think things through.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 3, 2012 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Oh man, that rivalry was excellent.
We've got the bad guys shaping up now it looks like. Will Oscar have to support DuBarry and still spend her time looking after Antoinette?
removed-userJul 3, 2012 8:34 AM
Feb 8, 2013 12:55 AM

Sep 2010
Here comes the rivalry! I can feel that murderous gaze radiating from Du Barry's eyes. xD

She is a very jelly person.

5/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 8, 2013 11:50 PM

Jul 2008
Rivalry yes, but my god how petty and superficial this is...I'm on Oscar's side here.
Mar 11, 2014 4:06 AM

Aug 2013
Ah the nobles' squabbles. Oscar, you're too good to be there.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 27, 2014 12:31 AM

Mar 2012
Still trying to get used to the big sparkly eyes girls have in this anime....Besides that the story seems to be moving along smoothly and Marie Antoinette seems to be talented at pissing people who she dislikes off lol.
Dec 7, 2014 10:25 AM

Jun 2013
I find this episode overly dramatic and strangely, funny. I was giggling at the rivalry for almost the entire episode.

I guess this is what happens when you let a child to be a heir. Being 14, Marie isn't completely at fault, she just doesn't hesitate to show what she dislikes.

This series is getting interesting. I'm definitely completing it.
Dec 11, 2014 9:06 AM

Dec 2012
Impala said:
I find this episode overly dramatic and strangely, funny. I was giggling at the rivalry for almost the entire episode.
Dec 31, 2014 6:07 PM

Jul 2014
Que dramón.
I like it!
May 25, 2015 7:13 PM

Jan 2010
Power flaunting, court gossip, diabolical schemes, and the aristocracy getting each other's knickers in a bunch. Cripes.
Aug 24, 2015 9:18 PM
May 2014
Am I the only one who is rooting for duBerry at least a little bit? I mean, she's a total self-made woman in the 18th century!
Jan 1, 2016 8:13 PM
Jun 2013
At times it seems like things are blown out of proportion, and I will admit certain actions seem overdramatic, but the truth is, in history these type of interactions were pretty significant. Popularity was a big thing in the French Court. At first I was annoyed by some of it, but now that I think about it, this is pretty accurate in some ways. I love this so far.
It's not the most Exciting thing in the world, but it's definitely something I'm enjoying up to this point.
Jan 4, 2016 2:58 PM
Nov 2014
Great episode, Madame du Barry is a textbook copy of a woman from the 18th century of France. Don't know which side I'm rooting, not a fan of the young queen atm.
Apr 13, 2016 11:16 PM

Oct 2012
Oscar is so cool, she doesn't give a shit about all those chicks lmao.
Jun 7, 2016 12:50 AM

Jan 2013
20 whole mins of a bunch of court ladies engaging in a see-saw battle while being drenched in an epic mixture of make up and melodrama....Christ on a bike.
So the marriage with the lame looking prince was going to be a disaster. Shocking indeed. At least the political aspect is good.

I must say majority of the characters need a course or two of anger management.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jan 25, 2017 9:47 PM

Feb 2016
Overly dramatic and stupid, how so?

The mistress is losing her grip of ultimate power in the court... Nuanced gestures and sleight of hand is equivalent like a slap in the face in polite society. Whereas a male can challenge the other to a duel if he feels its gone too far, the female compatriots need to utilised soft power and underhanded tactics to dispose of their opponents. Both however can escalate to murder.

A mistress like her has the potential to rule france. It's happened many times in history...

The noble custom of visual addressing is pretty cruel. People can be entirely ignored if the head honcho decides to bully someone and the others like chickens follow suit to avoid incurring the same fate.

I like the fact that the anime did its homework. During the time of Louis XV, Europe was enamoured with the French royal life, with the construction of the wondrous palace of Versailles. French nobles and nobles in europe eagerly watched with fascination of Louis XIV latest fashion fads and party events and replicated its grandeur. It didn't help that Loius the XIV compared to XV set the scene militarily as a lion in comparison.

Especially as far as I know, in China and France, there were two political landscapes, you mustn't ignore either one. One was the court where serious affairs were conducted. The other was the social aspect, parties, plays, operas and this where not only males partook but females as well. And the females shaped the politics this way and acted as messengers of events where the stifled formal aspect of the court clamped down on. It was a gossip bonanza, loose lips were encouraged for conversation and pettiness is bound to pop it's ugly head.

Sorry for the long and badly written comment but I don't understand what is so fake about this. Nobles have been alienated, murdered, promoted and demoted within the long halls of dancerooms and play gatherings.
Cloud_IllusionsJan 25, 2017 10:00 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jun 27, 2017 1:13 AM

Jul 2015
Angry colorblind whore stares menacingly at a young girl for 24 minutes
Aug 15, 2017 1:32 AM

Jun 2016
Rosny said:

The mistress is losing her grip of ultimate power in the court... Nuanced gestures and sleight of hand is equivalent like a slap in the face in polite society. Whereas a male can challenge the other to a duel if he feels its gone too far, the female compatriots need to utilised soft power and underhanded tactics to dispose of their opponents. Both however can escalate to murder.

A mistress like her has the potential to rule france. It's happened many times in history...

The noble custom of visual addressing is pretty cruel. People can be entirely ignored if the head honcho decides to bully someone and the others like chickens follow suit to avoid incurring the same fate.

I like the fact that the anime did its homework. During the time of Louis XV, Europe was enamoured with the French royal life, with the construction of the wondrous palace of Versailles. French nobles and nobles in europe eagerly watched with fascination of Louis XIV latest fashion fads and party events and replicated its grandeur. It didn't help that Loius the XIV compared to XV set the scene militarily as a lion in comparison.

Especially as far as I know, in China and France, there were two political landscapes, you mustn't ignore either one. One was the court where serious affairs were conducted. The other was the social aspect, parties, plays, operas and this where not only males partook but females as well. And the females shaped the politics this way and acted as messengers of events where the stifled formal aspect of the court clamped down on. It was a gossip bonanza, loose lips were encouraged for conversation and pettiness is bound to pop it's ugly head.

Sorry for the long and badly written comment but I don't understand what is so fake about this. Nobles have been alienated, murdered, promoted and demoted within the long halls of dancerooms and play gatherings.

Great comment, right here. I'm quite surprised at the lengths this anime's producers went to make it historically sound, and loving every minute of it. When you look at the increased obsession with opulence and excess going on at this time it becomes no wonder that a bloody revolution came out of it.
Sep 21, 2017 2:48 PM
May 2012
TKB928 said:
Rosny said:

Great comment, right here. I'm quite surprised at the lengths this anime's producers went to make it historically sound, and loving every minute of it. When you look at the increased obsession with opulence and excess going on at this time it becomes no wonder that a bloody revolution came out of it.

that's pretty interesting.
Dec 10, 2017 1:47 PM

Nov 2016
Oscars plan to not get involved broke down. This is quite the interesting situation now,looking forward to her reaction and how things will play out.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2018 3:11 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Dramaaaaaa. But for once it's actually quite comedic. And with Oscar out here not giving any fucks is so relatable. Bring on the conspiring for sabotage.
Jan 6, 2019 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
"This is the King's order."

Nonsense! Just another form of manipulation to pressure Oscar to take Madame du Barry's side.
Jun 15, 2019 11:46 AM

Jul 2008
Rosny said:

A slap in the face escalating to murder is still overly dramatic.
May 28, 2020 10:33 AM

Jun 2012
Marie's got some spunk. I like how she's challenging the shadow queen.
Jul 1, 2020 2:53 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
OMG. Escandalo! I fucking live for this shit! It's so good. This is giving me serious Nanami vibes from Utena who happens to be my fave female character ever. I love all the catty drama. When she walked past her, paying her no mind, I was like "Ohhhh Bitch".

Is there anything greater than a shoujo villain? I mean who else is fabulous enough to try and upstage someone by ordering all the designers in Paris to make them a prettier dress! It's SO petty. This is going to be good. I love it.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Sep 9, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2015
Hilarious to see how Marie adresses Duke Orleans who tried to kill her (even though she doesn't know) but not countess Duberry (got a good chuckle seeing Marie walk past her the second time). Woman sure were scary back in the day, already having beef after just making eye contact without even having introduced themselves.... those nobles sure had nothing better to do.

Mar 28, 2021 1:53 PM

Aug 2018
wow, women get jealous so easily!!

Nice to see that the fucking whore is malding hahaha

Jul 2, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2021
Ahhh, I can’t get enough of this series.
I love drama!!
I’m lady oscar’s side.
May 26, 2022 4:27 PM

Dec 2021
Lady Antoniette is piped up

Who'd a thought I'd find this much enjoyment in a catfight !!
Jun 24, 2022 10:01 PM

Apr 2016
Oh my, the DRAMA and when Marie ignored her at the garden? Beautiful.

Madame du Barry's move at the end was very good.
Mar 6, 2023 5:48 PM

Aug 2017
Drama is over the top, I look forward to see how this conflict will turn out
May 24, 2023 11:37 PM

Jan 2021
"In fact she was born as a lowly commoner and was a whore in some filthy area of the city."

*shocked* "What is a whore?" LOL I laughed at it XD this episode was so dramatic but I totally loved it hahaha. Especially when Marie passed Madame du Barry for the second time lol it was really funny.

The Dauphine vs the Madame? Well... I'll just be on whichever side Oscar takes!

Sep 22, 2023 10:51 AM

Jun 2011
I can't help but feel pity and empathize with Dubarry, who's carved out her own path in life, growing up poor and "cheated the system" and bought herself a lifestyle to gain an entry into the court, to then be bullied by an elitist rich mob.
Nov 29, 2023 1:59 AM

Apr 2017
This anime has me on the edge of my seat. I'm always disappointed when the episode ends. The politics and back and forth backstabbing. Madame Du Barry is a villain, but not a magical one or a fighter. She's a political villain.

I get why Marie Antoinette hates her. Du Barry is a trash can that poisoned her husband, and seduced the king. Sure I do feel bad that she grew up in poverty, and she had to sleep around to earn money. Though she could've lived a comfortable life with a nobleman. Instead, she poisoned him and decided to go for the top dog. She's ultimately greedy and wants power, so she's not a completely sympathetic person. I think that's the genius of her character. You feel some sympathy about her growing up in poverty, and Marie Antoinette snubbing her, though you also do remember that she's underhanded.

Marie Antoinette is very charming, and she does ultimately respect authority and the rules. Though even if she's on the good side, she's not a good person. She's a bully to Du Barry. Even though Du Barry is arrogant and acts like she runs the place (I mean, she kind of did though), and Du Barry killed her last husband, I feel like Marie Antoinette's issue with her is a classist thing. She only cares that a 'whore' and low class prostitute was able to get in good with the king. In the mind of Marie Antoinette, the lower classes shouldn't mingle amongst the upper classes. This is where she's not a good person at all, and... Well, I'm starting to see why the French Revolution happened.
Jan 25, 8:45 AM

Jun 2015
Oh boy! This is top tier drama. I knew this show was popular but I didn't have high hopes for it. It delivers more than what's expected.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 26, 3:45 PM
Jul 2020
It was very interesting seeing how ruthless and arrogant Marie Antoinette can be, which could lead to a forthcoming disaster as a result. Madame Du Barry can be said to be bad, but Marie is just asking for a catastrophe at this point. I wonder how Oscar will respond to Madame Du Barry involving her mother into this situation to get her on her own side.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.