Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 2008 7:41 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i wonder if someone will walk in on them or if one of them will break it off before that happens. either way i'm pretty sure this is going to make it back to lavie at some point. probably either right when claus finally figures out whats bothering her and tries to reassure her or just after he's managed to convince her that he hasn't done anything with anyone.

i'm having trouble understanding why the emperor wanted to keep al alive if he was going to start the war either way, if he thinks he can win without her then its in his best interests to kill her.

it could be my imagination, but i think that the woman in the picture might have been sophia's sister.
Jul 22, 2008 10:31 PM

Jan 2008
My my, the relationship between Claus and others is getting complicated.
Dec 8, 2008 5:48 AM

Feb 2008
For that last scene... lolwut
Apr 21, 2009 3:47 AM
Dec 2008
I wanted to vote 5/5 but it said I voted 3/5... Every episode is either 4 or 5/5
Jun 11, 2009 3:42 PM

Apr 2009
OMG, Sophia kissed Claus o.O Can anyone explain why she did that, cos i was completely shocked when i saw it. It was so unexpected.><
Oct 26, 2009 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
Claus is a freakin' chick magnet. =O
Mar 10, 2010 12:27 PM
Mar 2009
x4m said:
OMG, Sophia kissed Claus o.O Can anyone explain why she did that, cos i was completely shocked when i saw it. It was so unexpected.><

so did anyone figure out why they kissed?
Jun 23, 2010 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
Claus harem :P
Nov 18, 2010 9:10 PM
Jul 2010
I'm just going to go with the assumption that he was there at the time..

but still, woot?
Feb 10, 2011 8:04 AM

Sep 2009
Tatiana and Sophia need to BACK OFF wth O_o
Lavie was here first bishes!
and isn't Sophia in love with Alex?
Alex is sooo mean lol
lol @ the guys telling Shetland to make his move now while Claus is out the picture

what? WAR? ohhh riiight... totally forgot about that >__>
Sep 14, 2011 12:14 PM
Jun 2011
Whats the deal? Sophia who is in love with Alex - Making out with Claus? It seemed as if it was more than a kiss......perhaps he spent the night with her? In any case - my vote is for Lavie and Claus..........
Nov 5, 2011 3:43 PM

Mar 2010
marcjasonfriedm said:
It seemed as if it was more than a kiss......perhaps he spent the night with her?

I find that very unlikely, although even Al's question where he was the last night - although they share a bunk - hints a bit that way. (Or is that just the German dub?) The subs are about evening, not night, though. It'd be weird that he didn't know what she's up to the next morning (ep16) as well.
Dec 21, 2011 10:15 AM

May 2010
That's what Claus gets for being too kind. XD

But of all, I'm more interested with Lavi and Tatiana. Alister also.
Jan 11, 2012 8:35 AM

Oct 2009
Clause you lucky bastard.

Me personally don't like Lavie much at all, i rather not have LavieXClaus.
Jan 15, 2012 2:38 AM

Aug 2010
DeathReaper said:

This. Anything but Lavie
Feb 29, 2012 3:23 PM

Jul 2010
Wow. Intense episode. I don't have much to say. Even though so many developments played out, nothing felt out of place or surprising. Gotta say the pacing in this show is MASTERFUL. Really amazing feat to accomplish..

I wonder what's Lavie gonna do next episode. She may find out about the kiss and leave with that mechanic guy like it said in the preview. But Claus may stop her. I'm more interested in the guild and Alex though, to tell the truth. I was kinda sad to see that all of Alex's actions are mostly to stop the guild for revenge. Well, not wholly, but it is part of it and I thought he was a bit more complex than that. Oh wellz.

5/5 - Very very very well executed.
Mar 30, 2012 1:03 AM

Apr 2011
DeathReaper said:

Homolust said:
DeathReaper said:

This. Anything but Lavie
: / Thats pretty much sub plot of the series.

Lavie x Claus has already been determine!

Claus is dense as those shon/rom protagonist and he is too innocent to think of sex so far, but deep down he cares for Lavie very much.
Apr 20, 2012 9:26 AM
Nov 2011
See I think that's a misunderstanding. I don't think Alex's fight with the Guild is purely about revenge. After all, he says 'killing her' wouldn't change anything. I think there's more to it. But I'm seeing similarities between Alex's character and another one I've viewed recently. Makes you wonder.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Nov 9, 2012 10:18 PM

Aug 2010
That kiss at the end WHAT?!?!?! O_O
Nov 27, 2012 7:42 AM

Mar 2012
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First Lavie, then Alvis, then Tatiana, now Sophie?

I'm trying to figure out which chick Claus "the chick magnet" Valca is going to end up with. :-/ lol

Okay, but in all seriousness, here's how I think that last scene happened. I think Alex used to be a lot like Claus and Sophie saw that in Claus. She acted out of the spur of the moment and kissed Claus even though she's in love with Alex. It's the only thing I can really think of since Claus and Sophie have had no meaningful dialogue until this scene, and it just so happened to be a moment where Claus flattered Sophie in an attempt to cheer her up.

What does it all mean? Women...wtf is wrong with you, ladies? lol
Jan 17, 2013 5:59 PM

Jun 2012
Jan 27, 2013 4:35 AM

Nov 2011
DAFUQ

DAMN CLAUS. He's got three girls under his belt and is all like IDGAF!
I agree though, I find any pairing better then Claus x Lavie. I'm not a big fan of her myself.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 13, 2013 2:39 PM

Jan 2012
Claus is scoring with all the female crew lol.

Jun 15, 2013 8:22 AM
May 2013
Came to this post hoping someone was going to have the perfect answer as to why Sophia kissed Claus at the end of the episode.
Sadly, no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that Sophia was desperately hoping that Alex would try to persuade her to stay on the Silvana, and feeling crushed by his seeming indifference, reacted as she did when Claus treated her kindly.
I can sort of live with this explanation as far as the kiss itself goes, but if the inferred extension of it actually took place, that's another thing. It would have been entirely out of character for both Claus and Sophie and I think it was a bit of a gaffe on the writer's part to make that interpretation of subsequent events possible, and leave it out there.
Sep 30, 2013 7:29 PM
Sep 2013
ihateuimeanit said:
Meh, I don't like Lavie~

I'm more of an Alliester X Claus or Tatiana X Claus and no homo but Dio X Claus... yes i really don't like Lavie lol

I'm more for Alliester x Claus but DioXClaus would be a different kind of awesome ahah.

And yea Lavie is annoying. She never showed that she loved him and then she gets all PMS on him.

Though Claus is a bit of an 'imbécile heureux' without much personality.
Oct 26, 2013 11:21 AM

May 2013
So when does Allister start being relevant? She clearly has some sort of admiration for Tatiana, even though Tatiana treats her like shit.

What about that stupid kiss in the end? Am I supposed to be impressed with its stupidity? Is this age-gap kiss thing some sort of a fetish trend?
Dec 7, 2013 1:09 PM

May 2012
For some reason you could really feel the kiss coming but boy I still was surprised in the end! Well he sure has become a player didn't he :p

Pretty interesting episode with some great information and events, so let's see what's next!
Jan 2, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2011
Claus is such a player damn. I have no clue how this is going to turn out, but since I'm a regular person I want him to be with Lavie his child hood friend because of there connection.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2014 9:25 AM

Jul 2011
The_Gray_Otaku said:
The only thing I can think of is that Sophia was desperately hoping that Alex would try to persuade her to stay on the Silvana, and feeling crushed by his seeming indifference, reacted as she did when Claus treated her kindly.
I can sort of live with this explanation as far as the kiss itself goes, but if the inferred extension of it actually took place, that's another thing. It would have been entirely out of character for both Claus and Sophie and I think it was a bit of a gaffe on the writer's part to make that interpretation of subsequent events possible, and leave it out there.

This.

I just want to get back to the main plot here. :L
Feb 1, 2014 12:13 AM

Aug 2013
I did not expect that to happen at all. Where did that come from?!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 29, 2014 3:00 PM

Aug 2007
I think it's pretty obvious why Sophia kissed Claus.

Let's back it up....
She let her hair down and wore perfume on her way to meet Alex alone in his quarters. It was her last night on the ship. She clearly thought to leave a lasting impression on Alex (and maybe have their meeting lead to a little more), but it backfired when she saw his picture and realized she bears a stunning resemblance to Euris. Not only this, but Sophia is only 19, which is likely around the same age Euris died, as that was 10 years ago and Alex is 28 himself. Making this even worse, he rejected her flatout and told her to "fix her hair," and so she rebounded on Claus because he was kind to her in a vulnerable state.

Obvious!
Mar 12, 2015 2:35 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
So is this turning into a harem? xD
Jun 23, 2015 6:49 PM

Mar 2013
So she fell her instant emotions for Alex did or said things and kissed Claus because of Claus's kind ?

I think it is still stupid kiss. Even if Sophia 19 years old, i think there is a still age-gap kiss. Claus is 15 years old. Just kid, lol :)
Jul 26, 2015 11:12 AM

Oct 2014
the fuck was that kiss?
Oct 22, 2015 6:10 PM

Jun 2014
Still pretty clueless about the politics side of whats been going on...

Already knew who Alex was based on the flashback episode.
But wow Alex was so rude to XO.

The character dynamics in this series has been getting really good, regardless of the story. I think ill add a point to my score for that.
Dec 15, 2015 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
What??
Jan 12, 2016 10:44 PM

Dec 2012
Well well, Claus is on his way down the harem route. Although to be fair I don't think Sophia is interested in him. It's fairly safe to say that she has her eye on Alex and was taking advantage of Claus's kindness to feel some form of intimacy that she will never receive from the man she adores. I also think it has something to do with the content of that document she had. Either way, I don't believe that kiss would be misplaced or out of character as Last Exile has maintained consistency thus far and does far more showing than telling.
Jan 31, 2016 5:17 AM

Aug 2012
Cause girls want what others desire. Of course she couldn't help stealing his first kiss while 2 others cry over him !
Oct 15, 2016 11:52 AM
Sep 2009
What the hell is this shit?! Since when series have turned into a harem?! There were no implications what so ever and suddenly everyone loves Ckaus now, like what?! Was author on drugs? That's the shittiest writing of romance I've ever seen!

I can get Lavi, I can slightly get Tatiana and even that is a stretch but SOPHIE?! Get out!
Apr 26, 2017 11:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
cliothekira said:
I think it's pretty obvious why Sophia kissed Claus.

Let's back it up....
She let her hair down and wore perfume on her way to meet Alex alone in his quarters. It was her last night on the ship. She clearly thought to leave a lasting impression on Alex (and maybe have their meeting lead to a little more), but it backfired when she saw his picture and realized she bears a stunning resemblance to Euris. Not only this, but Sophia is only 19, which is likely around the same age Euris died, as that was 10 years ago and Alex is 28 himself. Making this even worse, he rejected her flatout and told her to "fix her hair," and so she rebounded on Claus because he was kind to her in a vulnerable state.

Obvious!

This. It wasn't out of the blue at all. She was in a very vulnerable state and Claus was not only there, but very kind to her. I'm surprised that most people here immediately assume this is turning into a harem.

I'm certain the come next episode Claus and Sophia will be back to business as usual.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 22, 2017 2:00 AM

Nov 2015
Wtf tho... That was unexpected... Hope this will get more weird

Jun 22, 2017 7:39 AM

Jun 2013
What the hell is this high school melodrama BS? The entire episode was basically girls fawning over Claus. It's really, really annoying and it makes me unable to take the show seriously. Especially since he's such a boring character.

I appreciate cliothekira's interpretation of Sophie. But the harem implications don't come from what Sophie did by itself, but because it seems like everyone and their mother has the hots for Claus.

Toucanbird said:
What does it all mean? Women...wtf is wrong with you, ladies? lol

They're suffering from a condition known as "forced drama."
LeeTailorJun 22, 2017 9:31 AM
Sep 26, 2017 12:15 AM

Jun 2016
Get ready for the buzzwords.
This anime has slowly became, if not evident from the start, half horrible mystery which leads the audience along like a carrot on a sick, half melodramatic harem of forced drama. I get Lavie and Claus being dumb kids, but Tatiana proves even further why she's a bad pilot who can't control herself, and then that last scene? Everyone in this anime except for Alex acts like a child and it ruins the tone it tries so hard to set up. I can't take it seriously at all due to how everyone acts, they are on the most powerful ship in the sky and the crew are kindergartners.
What an awful episode. The character writing and story writing in this are bad. Only good is the soundtrack, directing, visuals, if the episode focuses on them it's good, if not it turns into some garbage like this episode.
One of the more disappointed I've gotten about an anime due to the great start.
Mar 4, 2018 3:44 PM

Jun 2012
I was so bewildered that there was this romance subplot going on. The fuck? Where did this even come from? It just makes no sense. Lavie's reaction especially, I thought she was upset about their village being destroyed, but actually it's more about whether her friend slept with another girl? Really?

And would it kill the writers just to have one line saying, "The Silvana crashed but everyone's okay and we're making repairs" rather than just zooming back and forth between scenes which aren't even linked together properly.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually be *shown* scenes of their town being destroyed? So far it's just about 2-3 sentences from a few people just telling us. Show, don't tell.

I really love this anime but it's episodes like this which really drag it down.
Oct 26, 2018 2:42 PM

Jan 2010
Upon retrospect, especially after recently coming off of Space Battleship Yamato, Last Exile reminds me a lot of WWII ship-to-ship combat titles, but rather than being on the open seas or in space, this is in the skies. Besides WWII-like combat anime, Last Exile also almost reminds me of Skies of Arcadia for no apparent reason, and bits of Castle in the Sky. It's also weird coming off of Kantai Collection, hearing ship combat terms and commands thrown around. Also including the mysterious, magical, world-destroying element, this series is a strange hybrid of multiple genres.

I'm unsure about Claus being so central to the plot, where Lavie, Dio, Alvis, Alex, Tatiana, Sophia, and Alister have all had turns getting close to him. I'm just not seeing too much of a reason for this. After giving so much time and care for the Claus and Lavie relationship, particularly their backstory, everything else seems obstructive and distracting.
Jun 28, 2019 10:39 PM

Jun 2015
I don't know why the show is including this shitty romance.

This anime has been great all the way down and when the revelations started coming and the story getting more development they decide to ruin that with some love triangle shit that is clearly going to get worse.

This is honestly a very bad move.

EDIT : Glad I was wrong.
AgamenonJul 13, 2019 1:41 PM

Jul 22, 2019 10:11 PM
Jul 2018
damn I was liking the show and out of nowhere they inserted garbage love triangle tension! How in the world could they do that when 90% of the time the show was going completely fine!? The show from the beginning gave me impression Lavie as strong female lead and now this happened dammit! I am so angry!! (‡▼益▼) (‡▼益▼)

Thankfully there was few new possible incoming major plot foreshadow hinted which were most interesting than any other plot twists from this show so far that made this episode kinda bearable. Also dat last kiss.. at least no one seen it hopefully.
Apr 10, 2020 1:35 AM

Oct 2013
I was not expecting a harem... oh my goodness, and isn't Claus a KID?! Anyway, I love this show so far and have been binging it!
Apr 18, 2020 8:06 AM

Aug 2016
I'm not a big fan of this episode either, but in Lavie's defense, I don't think her case is just simple jealousy, there's also the fact that Claus started to adopt a more militaristic view on things and became somewhat obsessed with protecting everyone by getting involved with all these battles, which goes directly against Lavie's innate pacifism. She's feeling distant from Claus because his character is starting to change into something she doesn't want him to become: A person who sees absolutely no issue with using Vanships as tools for war, no different from the people who were fighting back in the first few episodes. The fact that he's apparently gotten closer to Tatiana, a military girl, just hurts Lavie all the more, she's afraid of losing Claus in more ways than just one, he can start liking Tatiana more because she's seeming like a better fit for him, and obviously, he could end up getting killed in one of the battles he gets himself into.

As for Sophia, she didn't really have any feelings for Claus, it's more likely that she was just venting her frustration from liking Alex and the feeling not being mutual at all. You know, like when some people get rejected by the one they love, then proceed to go after an easier target in order to feel better with themselves. It's selfish, for sure, but I don't think we were meant to see that kiss as a good thing, the whole episode was just people being confused with their own feelings and having trouble dealing with them. Does it seem out of place in this show? Maybe, but it could have been handled way worse.
-RyuApr 18, 2020 8:14 AM
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jul 6, 2020 10:37 PM
Dec 2019
Bland looking male protagonist is bland. Who would've thought. I'm starting to really hate the trope where a male protagonist gets love from women just because he's a generic nice guy when they're in vulnerable positions. There's probably some truth to it in real life, if you have the accompanying charisma and looks, but come on these protagonists are just saying generic nice guy things.

There was this scene in Justice League where Batman got Cheetah to kiss him despite it being the first time talking to her, but 1) He's fricking Batman with Kevin Conroy's voice. 2) He actually said something that appealed to her past and indicated that he understood Cheetah's emotions.

This whole episode is soap opera melodrama. Sure, you can come up with good excuses and in-story reasons for why people acted the way they did, but you can also come up with equally good reasons for why there wouldn't be melodrama. The fact of the matter is, they writers wanted the love triangle shit. Despite not having an on-screen conversation beforehand, one day and night in the desert is enough for Tatiana to fall for him. Sophia's kiss was also unnecessary- we understood her vulnerability from Alex's rejection just fine without it. Sophia and Klaus have also not had an on-screen conversation getting to know each other before this. I would've understood if they had at least talked about shared experiences a few times before the scene, but nope.

I was about to say that Lavie's jealousy doesn't make sense, but Ryu's comment above me reminded me of the context. It does make sense, but the combination of everything else makes it seem like a calculated contribution to the melodrama rather than a natural part of Lavie's arc.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Jul 12, 2008

104 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.